• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there any nattering nabobs of negativism in the house?

Telluridewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (1988)
Reading this forum, one would get the impression that the Camino can only be a positive, unique and life changing experience*- further, we do a lot of preaching to the choir around here about what a wonderful experience the Camino is :eek:.

Many of the newbie posts are some variation on the question of "Should I go?" and, reading this forum, the answer seems to be a resounding 100% Yes!

Is there anyone reading this who finished the Camino (or started and didn't finish) and said to themselves, "Well, that was terrible" or "I'm glad that's over- never again" or would even recommend a newbie NOT undertake the Camino? Just curious.

*It was for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why accentuate the negative? :) Sure there must be people who get there and think "I hate this". In fact a friend of mine years ago drove to St Jean Pied de Port and set out. When it started raining he stopped walking - he hadn't realised that it might mean getting wet! My own experience it that those pilgrims who have a totally negative experience are few and far between. In fact I think we have only ever seen one such blog http://karlascamino.wordpress.com/ in all of the posts on the forum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A local (South African) journalist who wrote for the same magazine I did, tried the Camino a few years ago and hated it - everything about it.
She wrote a scathing, though humourous, account of unkept paths, litter, dusty old villages, unhygenic albergues and uncouth pilgrims, boring food and disinterested locals.
She ended up spending time in the cities but had to go to Santiago to get her flight home. She hated the crusty, lichen covered Baroque facade of the cathedral and the touristy city.
She ended her article by saying that if she ever got the urge to try another pilgrimage walk in Spain she would have a stiff whiskey and lie down until the urge went away!
el Camino de Santiago is not for everyone!

I'm a pessimist by nature...working on trying to fix that...I also am rather sarcastic, with a dry sense of humor that does not always translate via the interwebs...with that in mind....

I tell people to do the Camino because I think they need to experience the good and the bad...it's what the Camino is. It's not all puppies, rainbows, and unicorns....it's a lot of blisters, tendinitis, snoring, heavy backpacks and ill-fitting shoes.

I'm a realist...everyone should know the good AND the bad so they can prepare (or not) accordingly.

Sure, we tend to be positive but only in response to the nervousness of novices? I think back to a few threads and there seems to be quite a lot about pain and exhaustion and so on - but the main message appears to be that this is part of a process and if one endures it then one eventually walks out of that dark forest into glorious spiritual sunshine - and this is true, surely?

Those who stop early when it is hard miss that process and never do get to walk out of that forest, on the Camino or in their real lives.

Or am I wrong? :|

As for being positive .... we could write as Thomas of Kempis (15th century) wrote - and still true, very true, today :shock:

"Ah, foolish man, why do you plan to live long when you are not sure of living even a day?
How many have been deceived and suddenly snatched away! How often have you heard of persons being killed by drownings, by fatal falls from high places, of persons dying at meals, at play, in fires, by the sword, in pestilence, or at the hands of robbers! Death is the end of everyone and the life of man quickly passes away like a shadow.

Who will remember you when you are dead? Who will pray for you? Do now, beloved, what you can, because you do not know when you will die, nor what your fate will be after death. Gather for yourself the riches of immortality while you have time. Think of nothing but your salvation. Care only for the things of God. Make friends for yourself now by honouring the saints of God, by imitating their actions, so that when you depart this life they may receive you into everlasting dwellings.

Keep yourself as a stranger here on earth, a pilgrim whom its affairs do not concern at all.
Keep your heart free and raise it up to your God, for you have not here a lasting home."

Marvellous! We should get nervous pre-pilgrims to read that ! :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The people who give up and go home don´t usually come back to hang in the forum.

I have been accused of negativity, too. I hate litter, and I actively dislike (and sometimes intervene!) in some other forms of pilgrim behavior. Sometimes I tell miserable or broken-down pilgrims they ought to go home -- especially the whiners who are spreading misery like a virus to everyone around them. Now THAT is negativity!

We don´t do PR here, this is a forum, not a tourist office. One person´s "negativity" is another person´s "getting real."

Rar.
Reb.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back