• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are waterproof hiking shoes a good idea?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I hike in Southern Arizona where it is usually hot or very warm. My old shoes came apart and I needed a pair almost immediately. The only ones available in my size at the time were Keen Dry Waterproof Shoes. I like the shoes, but they appear to be a little warm, causing sweaty feet. I haven't gotten any blisters yet, but my hikes are usually weekly from 4-7 miles as a member of the hiking club. I walk daily but in New Balance Running Shoes. I am planning my first Camino in September. I know it can tend to be rainy so thought they the Keen shoes be good shoes for the Camino. However, reading in this forum about blisters, I am wondering if I should wear lighter, more breathable shoes. Any suggestions?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd bring the New Balance, I have used them 3 times never regretted it ( 1 trail runner , 2 x runners )

It does depend on what sort of weather turns up, if it's normal for the time of year they would be fine imho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good advice. Thank you. Depending on the weather (rain or shine) I may alternate my waterproof boots on rainy days and my New Balance on sunny days. Does that make sense?

Waterproof footwear has to be part of an overall approach to keeping dry. It varies a bit depending on whether you are a rain jacket and rain pants person, or poncho and gaiters. If you aren't wearing clothing that will protect your legs from the rain, and stopping it running down your legs into your shoes, all waterproof footwear will be doing is protecting you when walking in puddles, mud and shallow ponds. There may be times that this is enough, but once you start walking in the rain and not just the wet grass, it will take more than just waterproof boots or shoes to stop your feet getting wet.

Good advice. Thank you. Depending on the weather (rain or shine) I may alternate my waterproof boots on rainy days and my New Balance on sunny days. Does that make sense?
It doesn't make sense to me to carry an extra pair of walking shoes. Bring the shoes that will be best for the majority of situations.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
NO (with no Camino experiance, but its hot!, no crisis to be wet the very few days it rains, and - you are not walking in snow or cold area, so - make sure letting them breath)
According to the AEMET, the maximum number of rainy days experienced in Santiago in September is 24. When something approaching that will happen again is clearly unpredictable. Further east it's a little less dire, with maxima of 17 rainy days in Leon, 18 in Burgos and 20 in Pamplona during September.

According to the AEMET, the maximum number of rainy days experienced in Santiago in September is 24. When something approaching that will happen again is clearly unpredictable. Further east it's a little less dire, with maxima of 17 rainy days in Leon, 18 in Burgos and 20 in Pamplona during September.
oops, I really wasn't aware of those numbers!! 🤦‍♀️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi (also from Southern AZ!)
Personally - I stick to non-waterproof trail runners. Lighter, more breathable, and if they do get wet - they dry faster. I did have a lot of rain on both my Caminos. My Injinji toe sock liners and darn tough merino wool socks with altra lone peaks managed to keep my feet dry. Socks did get a little wet - but didn't soak through MOST days. I did have one day when I was walking through tall wet grass all day and that did soak my shoes/socks. But most of the popular Camino paths are well worn and that is less likely to happen. This happened for me on the transition from the Norte to the Primitivo.

My solution for the Via Francigena is to still wear the same shoe/sock combination - but I am brining one pair of ankle high waterproof socks that I will wear over my injinjis - in the event that I have another very wet day walking through tall wet grass or lots of puddles. Otherwise - my shoes will still not be waterproof.

Another option is to simply change out your socks mid-day if they get wet.

In my experience it is far better to have wet feet that dry out quickly than to walk in a pair of sauna shoes which are wet anyway from sweat. Hot sweaty feet are more prone to blisters, I think. I've walked Caminos in everything from snow, to pouring rain, to hot sun, and I have never regretted having breathable footwear. Your feet may get wet for a time, but they will with waterproof boots in most cases anyway, and having them dry quickly is a great benefit.

Hi (also from Southern AZ!)
Personally - I stick to non-waterproof trail runners. Lighter, more breathable, and if they do get wet - they dry faster. I did have a lot of rain on both my Caminos. My Injinji toe sock liners and darn tough merino wool socks with altra lone peaks managed to keep my feet dry. Socks did get a little wet - but didn't soak through MOST days. I did have one day when I was walking through tall wet grass all day and that did soak my shoes/socks. But most of the popular Camino paths are well worn and that is less likely to happen. This happened for me on the transition from the Norte to the Primitivo.

My solution for the Via Francigena is to still wear the same shoe/sock combination - but I am brining one pair of ankle high waterproof socks that I will wear over my injinjis - in the event that I have another very wet day walking through tall wet grass or lots of puddles. Otherwise - my shoes will still not be waterproof.

Another option is to simply change out your socks mid-day if they get wet.
Or simply rain covers for the shoes, I will bring mine :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've walked 3 caminos in very breathable shoes, sneaker style.

I own one pair of Salomon waterproof shoes, which I only wear when temperatures go below 10C around my place, otherwise they are a source of sweat and blisters.

And no, don't carry 2 pairs of shoes, that is too much weight! Make a choice and work your way with your resources, be it drying your shoes often or letting your feet breath often. Whatever is more comfortable for your own walking style :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a huge difference between a little drizzle and a constant bucket of rain. My plan is 5 rest days. They will be used if there are or are reported buckets. But to the question: never waterproof in hot climates, rain covers if wet.

In general, the advice I seem to see most often from the people who do the most hiking is that quick drying shoes are better than waterproof shoes for longer walks.
And the difficulty is that there is some utter nonsense spruiked that shoes with a waterproof membrane take longer to dry than similar shoes without a waterproof membrane. I have never seen any objective testing of this, and I am prepared to believe it is an urban myth. I would be prepared to suggest that most people distinguish poorly between categories like breathable, waterproof and permeable (to vapour) in this discussion. We are all prone to justify our personal choices, and in this area this is evident more than most other equipment related topics.

I’m a no to waterproof shoes … almost ended my first Camino with blisters from sweaty feet . Change socks if they get wet, and stuffing my Hokas works fine in drying them overnight

I've now done two Caminos (Frances/Finisterre and Primitivo) in waterproof lightweight Merrell boots and had a grand total of two blisters on them. I guess the rest of my body is too busy sweating for my feet to do it! :)

But unless you're going for full rubber gaiters, then nothing is going to keep out a deluge or getting inundated. They are, however, very good at keeping my feet dry at walking through wet terrain be it puddles or wet grass, and I do a lot of that walking back here.

Thanks everyone, you have given me much to think about. You have offered several suggestions that I will consider. Full rubber gaiters and waterproof socks are good options. My waterproof shoes are heavy. Thanks for your comments everyone.

I bought goretex hokas from REI in the US several weeks before I started me Camino on the 11th. The first few days to Zubiri were very cold, rainy and muddy, but by feet were toasty and dry.
Today it was sunny and dry walking through Logroño to Navarrava and my feet never got hot. It’s a matter of preference, but for me, I’ll take the goretex any time

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Feet will get wet no matter what and breathable shoes/boots dry quicker.
This might be your experience, but I know that it isn't universal. I have walked in steady rain with waterproof boots, rainpants and jacket without my feet getting wet. The two longest occasions were on the St Olav's Way and again this year on the CP, where it rained for most of the walking day. On other occasions, the rain band has passed over in a couple of hours or less.

I am not sure what you might mean when you say breathable shoes/boots dry quicker. Aside from rubber boots, most waterproof footwear is breathable. That is the point of modern materials like Goretex. Other footwear that doesn't have a waterproof membrane might be too, but once water has soaked one's socks, there is now no possible way for your foot or the boot to 'breath' and neither your feet nor the boot will dry out while you are wearing them.

Edit, it is incorrect to say that a wet boot/shoe and sock combination will not dry out while you are wearing them, but it clearly will take longer, and generally be easier to remove the wet socks, dry out one's feet and the interior of the boot/shoe as much as possible, and continue with dryer socks.

Last edited:
Fresh from a Pamplona… just completed day 3 of CF out from SJPdP in Salomon Cross 2’s; which are waterproof. We had dry weather but it was very muddy underfoot at times due to heavy rain from the previous week. No blisters to report despite 20+ degrees (C) today and similar yesterday, hitting 20-30 Kim’s/ day. I trained in this pair for 2 months in wet/dry conditions without gaiters or leg protection from rain. These shoes are very light, hence they dry quickly and don’t hold water.
I don’t like to have to dance around puddles or queue to get around larger pools or muddy spots so these shoes suit me.
I carry a second pair of dry socks instead of bulkier rainwear and gaiters for walks like the CF this time of year.

Regardless of what shoe you decide to invest in walk expeditions in the shoes that you train in and acquire these shoes early so that you can break them in and they can break you in. An earlier response outlined that the answer to the question here is not boolean, it is dependent on multiple factors such as the complementary gear that you’ll be wearing and your tolerance for walking wet. Consider the some of the answers here in light of the fact that you don’t know what gear the respondent was wearing, the weather at the time, their average distance a tolerance for walking wet.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The rain in Spain falls mainly on . . . . Galicia. But, some of the hardest torrential rain I have experienced on the Del Norte was in Pasaje Donebae and later approaching Gijon. I have always worn Gore-tex lined boots on the Camino and yes, I have had a few blisters, but oh, the rain, the mud and the long puddles. I do wear long gaiters to keep the rain from running down into my boots. I have experienced long spells with no rain on the Camino Frances and NO rain on the Camino Mozarabe. When I return to the Mozarabe I MAY have non-Gore-tex boots (you do cross some rivulets in the dry river beds) but for all other Caminos I will stick with Gore-tex. Hey, it's just my personal choice. Buen Camino

I hike in Southern Arizona where it is usually hot or very warm. My old shoes came apart and I needed a pair almost immediately. The only ones available in my size at the time were Keen Dry Waterproof Shoes. I like the shoes, but they appear to be a little warm, causing sweaty feet. I haven't gotten any blisters yet, but my hikes are usually weekly from 4-7 miles as a member of the hiking club. I walk daily but in New Balance Running Shoes. I am planning my first Camino in September. I know it can tend to be rainy so thought they the Keen shoes be good shoes for the Camino. However, reading in this forum about blisters, I am wondering if I should wear lighter, more breathable shoes. Any suggestions?
I just finished my second Camino (Portuguese) and I regretted bringing my Gortex Salomons. I switched which shoes I planned to take the night before from a breathable Salomon. Most mornings were overcast and sometimes there was a threat of rain, but only once did I deal with rain for a couple of hours and my socks and shoes still ended up soaked. On day two, I did end up with a blister, I feel because my feet were sweaty even with stopping and drying out my feet and socks. I covered it with compeed and KT tape (to help keep the edges down after a day or two)
Don't carry an extra set of shoes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And the difficulty is that there is some utter nonsense spruiked that shoes with a waterproof membrane take longer to dry than similar shoes without a waterproof membrane. I have never seen any objective testing of this, and I am prepared to believe it is an urban myth. I would be prepared to suggest that most people distinguish poorly between categories like breathable, waterproof and permeable (to vapour) in this discussion. We are all prone to justify our personal choices, and in this area this is evident more than most other equipment related topics.

Doug - Thank you for your comments. I tend to agree.
My footwear of choice is Merrell Moab 3 Mids because they suit my feet best. They are Gortex.
On my last Camino I wore poncho and shorts in one downpour and my shoes literally filled up with water. What a hoot - I continued walking without stop. However as soon as the rain stopped they magically emptied themselves out. Who would have thought.
I stuffed them with newspaper that night and they were dry by the morning.
It’s quite possible that a heavy Gortex boot does not dry overnight but Merrells seem to give me the best of both worlds.
Dry feet in puddles and light rain (bliss) and after a soaking, dry shoes in the morning.
I completely respect everyones choice - we are all different - but would hate for someone to miss out on a ‘blister free’ shoe/boot just because they have been labeled ‘waterproof’.

Edit: I am one of those people who are ok with damp or wet feet in my shoe - nothing really happens. It’s either my wonderful feet ( I am so grateful) or my lightweight merino socks… or both. 🙏🤣

Yes re taking 2 pairs. I had one or two days of showers last year in spring. Some of the days are very rocky. The soles on the keens might be a bit thin despite their chunky look. Test on rocky/pebbly paths with 7-10 kg on your back for 2-3 hours.

Hi Sundevil, I worried about Rain too on the camino and wore waterproof moab Merrells. For me, it was a mistake. The shoes did not breathe, causing much sweat and I did get a nasty nasty blister on the bottom of my foot which took me out of the walk for 2 days (though I enjoyed my break tremendously in Leon!) For my next long distance walk (via podiensis) I decided to try non-waterproof moabs from Merrell (same shoe, same size) and my feet were much happier.
So what happened when it rained? Yes, my feet got wet but the shoes were dry by morning.
Please note that in my experience no shoe is completely waterproof unless they are rubber boots. If it rains all day long your waterproof leather shoes will get wet. Mine did.
Good luck, enjoy your walk!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My opinion is no. In spite of all the advertising hype, if a shoe keeps water out it also keeps it in. Apart from sweat only one deep puddle will ensure your feet are wet until you take it off and dry it out.
I agree with Lindsay53.
Having worn waterproof shoes while working for USFWS much of my life, I say no.
Your feet will sweat, walking 6-8 hours per day, and holding that water IN will make your feet soft and more prone to blisters. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :)

Hi,
My last 2 caminos finished in early and late November. Both times we had so much rain. I don't know how I would have gone just in runners walking through Mud and deep puddles. I was thankful for my old waterproof boots....and poncho and rain jackets and pants! On both walks it was warm at the beginning and I didn't really notice my feet sweating...I was probably too busy worrying about the rest of the body expiring. I did wear my Teva sandals one day at the beginning as I had a hot spot on my toe (from other non camino shoes) I ended up with blisters on the bottom of my heels from all the grit and small stones that kept flipping up.

Out of a dozen caminos in different parts of Spain there was only one where I (almost) wished for waterproof footwear. My solution was to slip on plastic bags over my socks to keep the rain out for those couple of days. I always bring the plastic bags yet rarely use them, and I’ve walked in all seasons except high summer. Many times the prediction will be for rain which turns out to be either a steady drizzle or a brief downpour.
My non-waterproof Altras, Salomons, Merrill’s, etc., have kept my feet happy and blister-free for many kilometers, in rain or shine and even snow. Changing socks more frequently helps in very wet conditions.
Subjecting my feet to a suffocating blister causing environment inside a waterproof shoe or boot is not my idea of fun. But everyone has their preferences based on their own experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ever since my 3rd Camino I've been wearing hiking sandals. I bring waterproof socks for really wet and muddy days. This year really put them to the test. I wear them over a pair of regular socks. On my first day it rained heavily, and my socks underneath did get a bit damp, but not sopping wet. A couple of days later I was walking through water puddles and mud. When I took off the waterproof socks the socks underneath were clean and dry, as were my feet. They are bulkier than regular socks, so I wouldn't want to wear them with regular shoes, but there are many styles of hiking sandals that are suitable, including closed toe sandals like Keens.

Hoka even makes a closed toe sandal.

No You DO NOT NEED WATERPROOF hiking shoes unless you are planning to hike in the end of the Spring Season, the Winter Season or Early Spring. A nice breathable shoe will allow the show to dry out faster.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Personally I am not sure whether my waterproof Keen boots were all that waterproof. After a few days of trudging through puddles and mud on the Meseta my feet and socks always seemed to end the day wet/damp. Either the water got in or I sweated a lot.

A very cold and wet Spring back in 2013, and despite stuffing my boots with newspaper overnight, I donned them the next morning still a little damp with a mixture of grimace and wry smile...

oops, I really wasn't aware of those numbers!! 🤦‍♀️
Remember though that it doesnt usually rain the whole day, there are usually fine periods as well.
And forecasts aren't always accurate, Ive walked in September twice and had only a couple of rainy days each time.
The days when it did rain hard, the water was downwards from the sky and upwards from the ground as puddles.

I just passed Camino Portuguese in the high Mammut waterproof mountaineering shoes im combination with a low cost thin sole running shoes. The Mammut mountaineering shoes I took mainly because rainy weather prediction for May and also because they are my good tested and proven shoes and I already using them many years. I had experienced no blister, but finally there was only one very short rain during our 10 days walk from Porto to Santiago, so probably better if I took the running/tracking low shoes which are lighter, more flexible and with better ventilation. While on Camino, I practized to wear the Mammut mountaineering shoes till noon and then switching to the lighter running shoes because of afternoon muscle pain in my feet. However, my running shoes was only with very thin sole, so it was also not the best alternative, but helped me to partialy release the pain in mine feet. The Portuguese camino is more flat and road style track. It is different than a 2500m ASL mountains and rocky tracks what I have experiences from my past. Different forces and physical conditions are effecting our feet. My wife used a special La Sportiva running/tracking low shoes with very good vibram sole and she weared them whole 10 days without any blister and finally also without need to switch to sandals. We have performed roughly 25km every day. I have decided to use my proven and already many years tested Mammut shoes to minimize likelihood of blisters occurence and I really past Portuguese camino without any blisters suffering. But also my wife, even with the new La Sportiva running/tracking shoes which she worn/tested only 2-3 times before we went to camino, she also passed camino without blisters. Her only trouble with legs was right leg Achilles tendon overloading and swelling. But it had nothing to do with the shoes which she used during camino.
Peregrines Endures, Bon Camino:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Merrell moab ventilators every time. I still buy them now.

Socks are the most important item, teflon inner and marino wool outer. I never had a blister on both of my camino walks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.