• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does "good shoes" mean?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
I feel like great shoes will be really important to my success on this journey. I have been trying different brands and so far, haven't found one I feel great about (maybe). I tried Altra and they squeak all the time...loud.. I reached out to the warranty email and they told me to put powder or Vaseline in my shoes. I'm not going to try Vaseline in my shoes, period. I tried the powder, like ten times. It works for 4 hours or so. Altra is thus, off the list. Then I tried Soloman. They offer no side to side support and after a day of walking my feet hurt. Off the list. I tried Saucony runners and they are awesome, except that the tread isn't there for any wet, technical terrain. I love them but, falling on my glass knee is a hard no. I am currently trying Brooks trail runners. So far I like them. They aren't quite as comfortable as the Saucony but, for rain and technical, rocky terrain they are better. I have an awesome pair of hiking boots made by Lowa. But, I feel like it's too much shoe for the kinds of walking required on the Camino Frances.

At 60 with major knee surgery a little over a year ago I feel like shoes are a make or break for me on this trip.

So, what does the words: "Good shoes" mean to you?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good shoes are shoes that you feel comfortable walking in, no need to further complicate matters.
It actually seems you answered your own question.

I have an awesome pair of hiking boots made by Lowa. But, I feel like it's too much shoe for the kinds of walking required on the Camino Frances.

Who cares whether they are 'too much shoe' for the Camino Frances ? If you feel comfortable using them, use them on the camino too. (Btw I always walk in Lowa boots as well. I only switched from the Lowa Camino to Lowa Renegade, because they are slightly lighter).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Comfortable , good fitting and likely to last the complete trip.

A lot will depend on time of year / weather conditions

I have used New Balance running shoes and trail runners with good results.

I feel like great shoes will be really important to my success on this journey. I have been trying different brands and so far, haven't found one I feel great about (maybe). I tried Altra and they squeak all the time...loud.. I reached out to the warranty email and they told me to put powder or Vaseline in my shoes. I'm not going to try Vaseline in my shoes, period. I tried the powder, like ten times. It works for 4 hours or so. Altra is thus, off the list. Then I tried Soloman. They offer no side to side support and after a day of walking my feet hurt. Off the list. I tried Saucony runners and they are awesome, except that the tread isn't there for any wet, technical terrain. I love them but, falling on my glass knee is a hard no. I am currently trying Brooks trail runners. So far I like them. They aren't quite as comfortable as the Saucony but, for rain and technical, rocky terrain they are better. I have an awesome pair of hiking boots made by Lowa. But, I feel like it's too much shoe for the kinds of walking required on the Camino Frances.

At 60 with major knee surgery a little over a year ago I feel like shoes are a make or break for me on this trip.

I think they’re different for everyone. I went to a store that analyzed both my gait and feet. I honestly had my heart set on Hokas or Brooks going in. Apparently I have an extremely high arch, so she fitted each shoe with an insert. In the end, it was a New Balance Fresh Foam X1080v13 that crushed everything else. My foot fits perfectly in the shoe with zero shifting, and it feels like I’m walking on a cloud. None of the others fit my foot remotely the same way. I tried it without the insert, and it was still good, but not perfect. I went to Runners Forum locally. Maybe there’s a similar store near you where you can figure out what’s best for you specifically. I’m doing the Camino Portuguese from Porto, starting the literal way, then cutting over, so I needed something that would work on all terrain. I’m bringing a back-up shoe as well.. TBD! Good luck!

I think you are right to concentrate on getting your footwear right for you.

Good shoes? Thick or rugged soles for grip and so that the rough rocky ground doesn't push through, then comfortable over long periods, and that means comfortable specifically for you.

You don't mention your feet ... big, small, narrow, wide, wide at front, narrow at rear, high arch, low arch, and so on, pronation or none. For instance - all the 'wide' ones mentioned on the forum are not wide enough for me .. I am a 12 but 4E - 4EEEE !! (Clown feet).

Some years ago I discovered Keen Newport H2 fabric trekking sandals and that is all I wear now. Marvellously perfect shaped footbed (for me) and really wide at the front - the only footwear I have ever owned in the last 75 years that a few minutes after putting them on I am not even aware I am wearing footwear, and, in all weathers and conditions have never had a blister (I tried their leather ones but they were too rigid for me).

I also have a duff knee - from a road accident in my youth, so I take a really good brace fitted with metal hinges either side so that my knee doesn't swivel but tracks backwards and forwards - it is the swivelling on rough terrain and descents that does for knees (and their ligaments/tendons).

But that is only me - I have found the "good shoes" for me.

I agree that one doesn't need heavy boots on Camino - unless deep winter - light and comfy is the way to go but you do have boots that fit you really well - does that company not sell lightweight hiking footwear? They may be the same shape?
Not wanting to wear your big boots suggests that you are an experienced relaxed walker and want to be comfy and light? Goodo - if I might suggest you find a store that stocks the keen Newport and try them on?

I am SO looking forward to all the replies that will come in as this is an interesting and important topic, this footwear thing - in the end it is what fits you and you probably know not to go to try on footwear in the morning but late afternoon when the feet are bigger.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been trying different brands and so far, haven't found one I feel great about (maybe).
You're doing the right and only thing that you can. Just keep on trying shoes until you find the ones you like. Of course, you'll never really be sure until you put a couple hundred kilometers on them if they were the right ones....
I also found the Dave Bugg link in post #3 number very helpful as well to remind me what to think about when looking at shoes.

From my understanding of it, the most common reason people give up the Camino are lower leg injuries. Pulling tendons, shin splints, and infected blisters.

We spent a small fortune getting the "right" shoe for our first Camino. Mine was still wrong and I got matching blisters on each foot (which did eventually heal). Now we have found the right shoes for us and its only 5 or 6 Caminos later...I buy "my shoe" now whenever I see it on sale and I have spare pairs in the closet in case they stop making it in this particular last/model.

It can be a case of trial and error. My husband when to a podiatrist and got expensive insoles made which he eventually abandoned and never wears at all now. He, too, eventually found the "right shoe". He does wear Lowe Renegades in the winter though for walking. Great winter boot for him on the Camino.

On the Via Francigena a young French woman and I kept crossing paths for more than a week. I was wearing leather safety boots of the type sold to construction workers. Marie was wearing the lightest of leather sandals - a plain flat leather sole with bootlace-thin straps across toes and ankle. Neither of us had any footwear-related problems so which of us was right in our choice? I've never felt the need to buy footwear specially for a Camino. If it works for a longish rural walk at home then it will probably be fine in Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good shoes... are the ones that work for you. Or better, a combination that works for you. For me, the combination is trailrunners, wrightsocks, poles and a very light pack. I was lucky that the third or so pair of runners i tried worked perfectly, but i guess some unlucky fellows will need to try on a dozen or more.
So that said, my shoes don't need to work for you. But you can see if you can get a hold of some Inov-8 Roclite (i use the now discontinued 290 version, but there is a 275 too). They are not as wide as Altra, but "rather" wide. And the soles are great on wet ground. I feel mine offer me more than enough support, but thats again a very personal thing and might be different for you.

You have your Lowa. They fit presumably. Walking in them is a comfortable experience and you feel confident walking in them. Why f*nny about trying to find an alternative that works as well??

The Camino is neither a fashion parade or compulsory purgatory. Wear what suits you not want suits other people

Just a trick to reduce squeaky shoes. Try placing a fabric softener sheet under the insole. When my orthotics are in my shoes they make awful fart noises (at least that is my excuse). The fabric softener sheets have been the only thing that work In my particular situation.

Good luck on your quest. I am about to embark on locating shoes as well. Be sure to take advantage of the trial periods offered by manufacturers. An example is Hoka. They allow you to wear the shoes for 30 days and if they don’t work out they can be returned.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

The answer to this question is different for everyone. That said, it is the most important piece of your equipment.

I have used New Balance running shoes and trail runners with good results.
I bought a pair about 50 years ago. They fell apart way too quickly. I stayed away from them until last year. They are local company and I figured I'd give them a second chance as surely they've gotten better since the 70s. These lasted a bit longer (barely) because I walked in them instead of running but I've got big holes in sides because of a design flaw that they should never have made with the experience they have.

Many people on the forum praise New Balance though so I'll say go beyond their brand name and seek out reviews of individual shoe models.

Merril MOAB(mother of All boots) Gortex 3. My first pr training and the El Camino and since they are still going with over 2200k. My new pr are even more comfortable and have the latest new pr ready for our camino in April 2024.
No need to break them just straight out of the box and go. I get half a size bigger as your feet do heat up and your socks do get a little thicker with some moisture (I wear icebreaker socks and have never had blisters and at age 79 skin is getting softer. Change your socks two to three times a day it gives you cloud 9 all day.
The boot is a low leg more like a shoe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tried Altra... Then I tried Soloman... I tried Saucony runners... I am currently trying Brooks trail runners.
What you need to choose is a particular model and size of shoe, combined with appropriate socks and perhaps inner soles, rather than a brand. These are 4 prominent shoe companies, each of which makes many models. So, trying one model does not mean that you should remove the company from your list!

Once one has found one's trusted and reliable lifetime partner (I am referring to footwear, of course) it might be a good idea to purchase a spare pair, or perhaps more if one is really sure.

Sometimes by the time one knows for sure which footwear is "The One", that model is no longer made. What to do?

In my experience, a really good customer-focussed footwear manufacturer, if politely asked, will cheerfully identify to retail customers the identification details of the proprietary last that they use(d) to make your favourite shoe or boot, and which current models of their shoes/boots are being built upon that last. So even if one's favourite model of footwear has gone out of production, it might be possible to buy a subsequent model that has been built upon the same last. The new model won't feel exactly the same as the old one, because materials and location of stitchings etc. might have changed, but knowing the ID of The One's last will at least give one a running (or walking) start in the search for a replacement.

(A last is a physical model of a foot upon which shoes and boots are built. A particular shape of last is usually created in a range of sizes, i.e., a set. The exact shape of lasts varies between footwear manufacturers, hence they are proprietary. Aside from different sizes of the same last shape, each manufacturer can have numerous sets of lasts, each set having a different foot shape, hence the need to know the identification data of one's favourite last. Sets of lasts are costly to make, and footwear manufacturers tend not to discard them.)

Last edited:
I bought a pair about 50 years ago. They fell apart way too quickly. I stayed away from them until last year. They are local company and I figured I'd give them a second chance as surely they've gotten better since the 70s. These lasted a bit longer (barely) because I walked in them instead of running but I've got big holes in sides because of a design flaw that they should never have made with the experience they have.

Many people on the forum praise New Balance though so I'll say go beyond their brand name and seek out reviews of individual shoe models.
Any recommendations will be subjective , there will be a number of brands ( some already mentioned ) I would not risk using again but it's often down to luck, shape of feet and other variables. If there was one great shoe that suited us all, there would be a lot less shoe companies

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might as well ask what is the best Whiskey or best Hamburger :):)

It's such a personal thing and we all have different needs / expectations / bodies / feet.

Prior to my last Camino I ended up buying / trialling 5 different pairs.
One (a very popular shoe) hurt my feet after 1 km !
Only one made it more than a couple of days of walking.
I used them on Camino, but they started to fall apart at about 600kms.
Duct tape repairs got me the final 600 kms.

Were they 'good shoes'?

Well I finished without any injuries or blisters, and my feet were OK.
So Yes.

If they were Gortex they would have ticked all the boxes for me.
But most members here don't like Gortex shoes :rolleyes:
Personally I don't like wet feet / socks ;)

Good shoes..........will be the ones that are good for you.
Trial and error sadly.

Shoe retailers will sell you what is popular, what they like, what makes a good margin maybe?
Other people will rave about what suits 'them'. But they might not suit you.

Those shoes that hurt my feet after 1 km..........I met a Pilgrim this year what has walked thousands of kms in them, and she loved them.........

Once one has found one's trusted and reliable lifetime partner (I am referring to footwear, of course) it might be a good idea to purchase a spare pair, or perhaps more if one is really sure.

Sometimes by the time one knows for sure which footwear is "The One", that model is no longer made. What to do?

In my experience, a really good customer-focussed footwear manufacturer, if politely asked, will cheerfully identify to retail customers the identification details of the proprietary last that they use(d) to make your favourite shoe or boot, and which current models of their shoes/boots are being built upon that last. So even if one's favourite model of footwear has gone out of production, it might be possible to buy a subsequent model that has been built upon the same last. The new model won't feel exactly the same as the old one, because materials and location of stitchings etc. might have changed, but knowing the ID of The One's last will at least give one a running (or walking) start in the search for a replacement.

(A last is a physical model of a foot upon which shoes and boots are built. The exact shape of lasts varies between footwear manufacturers, hence they are proprietary. They are costly to make, and footwear manufacturers tend not to discard them.)

On return from my Camino this year I bought three more pairs of the shoes I used.
Design changes and 'upgrades' (which often just mean cheaper materials) usually mean the shoes you like this year, won't be available next year.

@falconbrother, you are absolutely correct - good shoes are very important.
And as everyone has said what works for me will not necessarily work for you. Whilst I personally reserve my boots for more technical hikes - which the Frances is most definitely not - if they work for you then only put them out of contention if you find something better. (Weight and breathability are the biggest factors for me here.)
It's a shame that you had the squeaking issue with the Altras, it could of course be specific to that model.
1/Before you throw them away may I suggest you try a different insert? I personally found the Altra insert far too thin for me, so purchased a thicker alternative (and now have orthotics.) Neither of which squeak.
2/ Assuming you liked them because of the wide fitting here is a couple of alternatives:
HOKA Speedgoat 5 Wide.
Brooks Cascadia 16 Wide.
Altra Olympus 5.
inov-8 TrailFly
Salomon Speedcross 6 Wide.

I'm thinking of changing, hence why I've tried on the alternatives above!

Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I walked at age 60, 2 ops on one knee and 1 op on the other. I wore Salomon boots because I have always hiked in them and they suit my feet and gait. I saw a real mix from sandals to shoes to boots. Some people mixed it up - boots for the more challenging and rocky/stoney sections, sandals/shoes for the flatter and smoother sections.
Find what is right for you. Try them out and break them in before you go. Best test is 10-15 kg rucksack and walk 20km (12-13 miles) in 4 hours on mixed up/down/flat terrain. That will also make your feet swell and skin soften from perspiration which in turn will highlight any size/blister/stability issues. If you can do it 2 days in a row as a mini “stress test” for your footwear. At least 4-5 weeks before your Camino to allow for any blister recovery or new shoe/boot purchases that you need to walk-in. I wear size U.K. 9.5 shoes, normally size U.K. 10 boots for 10 mile day hikes, but after testing walked the Camino in size U.K. 10.5 boots.
Remember - you are walking distance on varied terrain under load, every day for 4-6 weeks. Any wear and tear will be cumulative.

You mention your Lowa boots. Lowa also make hiking shoes. The Renegade Low is made on a boot last and is a robust shoe, with many of the benefits of a boot but without so much weight. I wore a pair on an April Camino and didn't regret it.
Buen Camino!

You mention your Lowa boots. Lowa also make hiking shoes. The Renegade Low is made on a boot last and is a robust shoe, with many of the benefits of a boot but without so much weight. I wore a pair on an April Camino and didn't regret it.
Buen Camino!
I echo the above. If you like LOWA boots you will also like the shoe version which gives lateral and longitudinal support. I walked the Frances in Lowa Renegade shoes as opposed to boots and they were great. Presently using the lighter Lowa Sirkos shoe which seems to give all the same support.
I have also had 2 total knee replacements after various other knee surgery so for me support is the most desired object of footwear that does not twist or bend.
i find Merrell far to bendy.
Of course your height, weight and how much you are carrying also plays an important part in choose of boot and shoe brands and rigidity. My smaller lighter companion wore Merrel Moab boots on the same trip and finds them excellen - just not for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tend to say go with the boots you have and like, with one caveat: make sure they work well for you on continuous long days of walking. I’ve worn the same boots (Keen Targhee 3s, mids, waterproof,) for several thousand miles of pilgrimages now, but on my first Camino a pair of boots that had felt perfect for sporadic fairly long hikes and daily shorter training walks gave me terrible blisters. My feet swell up a bit after a few days and I need about half a size larger boot for continuous days of walking. Others on this forum have reported the same thing.

Many, perhaps most, days a lighter shoe or trail runner might be better but on every Camino I’ve done, there have definitely been days when I was very glad I had boots.

Continuous squeaking is going to drive you absolutely crazy. Do be sure to solve that problem.

I typically take Hokas as well as Teva open toe hiking sandals.
I'm happy to wear sandals all day but depending on terrain and weather I might start with Hokas and switch after lunch.
I tend to blister on the toes and sandals prevent this or, if I've got a hot spot from the Hokas, allow the skin to settle down.

If Saucony fits, Saucony Peregrine trail runners have an exceptional tread for technical/wet terrain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have your Lowa. They fit presumably. Walking in them is a comfortable experience and you feel confident walking in them. Why f*nny about trying to find an alternative that works as well??
Well said Tincatinker! went through the shoe/boot thing 20 years ago when I walked my first Camiño. After trying 4 different types at home that didn’t fit, I found the Lowa Renegade boots and they fit perfectly. I added superfeet insoles that better supported my heel/arch and have never had a blister. I am on my 3rd pair (need to buy another since I had cracks in the sole after I finished my latest Camino this November). I walk in October-April so often will generally experience some rain/mud. I had 2 weeks straight of rain on this last Camino and was happy my feet stayed relatively dry, warm and my ankles were protected on the slippery rocks. I have thought about trying trail runners but as Tincatinker says why change when what I have works so well! I love my gear and feel so comfortable planning a Camino knowing I don’t have to worry that something new might become a problem or require adjustment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think fit is more important than weight.
I am another Merrell Moab 3 Mid mid (wide fit) fan. The more I wear them more comfortable and supportive they feel.
I have also tried Keens but don’t find them quite as comfortable.
Last Camino, I ended up with an orthotic in one boot, but not in the other because that’s what worked best for me.
I know people who wear trail runners talk about ‘walking on clouds’, and they love those shoes. However, from what I have heard and read, it is important to have some feeling of terrain on the soles of your feet. Anyway, thats what my feet prefer.
Good luck and happy feet. 🍀
PS. Yes it is the ‘Last’ that counts

I had a pair of Altras start squeaking first week of Frances in 2018. The powder helped little and after about a week, they stopped squeaking. When I got home, I dissected the shoes to find the squeak. It's below the sewed in place footbed and the powder had little effect because it can't get into that area. I had 4 days wet walking and the inner support grid became "smooth on smooth" wet squeak.
It took a week to dry out completely and stop. I've owned a dozen pairs since and no squeakers.

BTW, I wear trail runners on Camino, Appalachian Trail, West Texas desert and sections of Continental Divide Trail. I think they would be the wrong choice for consistent snow use or constant sub-freezing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried Saucony runners and they are awesome, except that the tread isn't there for any wet, technical terrain.
Consider the Saucony Peregrine, 6 mm lugs with great grip they also come in Goretex. Several Caminos in the rain & mud of Galicia, still comfortable and going strong.

It all depends on the weather.
If snow is likely then higher sided boots keep out slush, rain and mud. Gaiters are also a suggestion just to be sure. Love the Lowas for that.
Depends on how much body weigh you are and what backpack weight.
If on the heavy side all up sturdy footwear that stops ankle roll.
Alternatively if it’s likely to be hot the sandals with a toe cap. Merril have styles that allow an orthotic which I have used on the VDLP.
Do you have sweaty feet?
Can wear socks with them.
The ground can be baking hot so you need decent sole thickness.
Gortex in my opinion increases the heat inside the footwear despite the breathing ability claims.
My advice never try to buy by brands. Find ones that fit. Hanwag have great high tec walking shoes as do other brands.
Share what you find works at the end of your Camino.
Buen Camino

My first Camino is coming next April, but I have been doing a lot of walking over the last few years, and never had a blister. My opinion on "good" shoes are boots that fit snug - like a glove, and I cinch the laces up real tight, like skater boot tight. If you find that your foot moves in the boot, then you will get blisters. I find that thick socks and Odour Eater insoles help the snugness. My current and favorite boots are Oboz Sawtooth mid. But I don't think they make my model boots any more. BTW - when I put my boots on, I feel like I want to walk, they just feel so great, and I feel just great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used merrells, no blisters but tendinitis. Next time I chose shoe with more cushioning but still good grip, hoka speedgoats. No blisters but found them a bit unsupportive. Next time I’m wearing la sportiva. I’ve got them already. A more structured shoe, plenty support plus great grip. Hard decision. I take socks of different thicknesses to get the right combo. Is there a perfect shoe? I don’t know but I’ve always got the teva sandals if there could be an issue and to wear at night. Good luck in your choice, there’s always shops along the way if you’re desperate.

Get the boots your feet like, because they will spend a lot of time in them. I walked several caminos in different boots.
Lowa Renegade GTX Mid, Decathlon fifty € boots, Merrell Moab Mid GTX. Comparing them, the Lowas served me the best, but I also liked the other ones. I wouldn't wear low shoes. The Mid height boots provide better support, which is needed (at least by me) in many areas on the camino. And contrary to the opinions above, I want waterproof shoes, i.e. Goretex or comparable materials.
So, choose your weapon ;-)

“Too much shoe”??
I have walked 6 Caminos (2 Frances from SJPDP to SdC, 1 Portugués combo of Litoral and Central, 2 Primitivo and 1 Português Central walking in reverse from SdC to Portugal). In addition I have walked SdC to Finisterre 5 times, SdC to Muxia 1 and Muxia to Finisterre 2.

The only time I did not have (fairly major) foot issues was when I was wearing my Lowa hiking boots - high rise version).

Too much boot? Maybe. But I’ll be buying another pair before I go again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I walk with Asics gel trabucco 10/11 GTX this shoes are very good .

Your muscles in your feet are probably undersized and will get stronger and bigger as you walk. My feet hit the ground very differently than they did before I started walking. Feet hurting on a hike means shoes not fitting, muscles cramping. The feet are often just not strong enough when we set out. So... and you're going to love this... don't be surprised if your feet grow stronger and grow in size as you walk. Think about getting a new pair about half way through.

To me, it means whatever works for you. It took me years and probably a thousand hiking miles to nail down what works for me. We all have our individual foot/shoe challenges and (unfortunately) what works for one person may not work for another. For me, I have to work around a very wide forefoot, a large vein on the top of my feet that rubs without high loft in the shoe, flat/weak arches that cause plantar fasciitis and require custom inserts, and if that's not enough, very long second toes that take a beating on the downhill.

Over the years, I've gone through countless hiking shoes. Some get tossed after just a couple of hikes and others I've managed to adapt and customize for my feet. Some advice I frequently give on this and other hiking forums is that about 75% (maybe even more) of training for a long-distance through hike is understanding your body's weak points and developing strategies for coping with them on the trail.

I can describe all of the coping mechanisms for my feet, but they are customized for me and may not help for someone else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I see lots of replies to your question, so that tells you that everyone has their own method. I didn't read everyone's comments but I have a few bits of advice:
1. Find an outfitter such as REI that will sell you boots and allow you to return them within a year if you're not satisfied. I am an REI member and have used their return policy more than once when boots just didn't measure up (even after 400+miles).
2. Once you find a boot that fits you, stick with it! La Sportiva is the brand that fits my foot. I've tried other reputable brands (most recently Keen and Salomon); neither measured up to La Sportiva. I am, once again, the happy owner of my THIRD pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Mid GTX boots. This brand and this style is *perfect* for me.
3. I'm older than you, have a titanium hip, prone to stress fractures in my feet and am currently regrowing 3 toe nails (after suffering miles and miles with the Salomons). Also...your feet keep growing so take that into consideration.
4. Recap: finding the right shoe/boot fit takes time. You'll get there...and don't forget that you might need to go up in size as you age.
5. Good luck!

Thanks Rick. From my experience getting a "good shoe" is a bit of luck coupled with trial and error and, possibly most importantly, what is available locally.

And, can I say it again, luck.

I have wide feet, so have always gone for a wide fitting. That can mean having to go up several sizes.

With luck, I was diagnosed (by a podiatrist) as having pronation tendencies.

As we are a sports focused country (nation?) we are also lucky to have a chain focused on sporting footwear with skilled staff. My immediate urban area is wide spread but with a low population of about 400,000 and around 20 specialist stores close to urban transport.

Which is how I ended up with New Balance model 860 with pronation support built in.
This model is designed as running shoes. So there is a generous sweep up at the front. But almost flat under the heel. So that is where the wear is. And as there are very few shoe repair facilities locally ...

My history with New Balance model 860 started in June 2015:
2015 Jun - version 05 - km 800 local
2016 Feb - version 06 - km local plus lots in France and England
2017 May - version 07 - km local plus Spain and Scotland
2018 Mar - version 07 - km 753 plus 300 France
2019 May - version 08 - km 859 local
2020 Feb - version 08 - km 952 local
2021 Feb - version 09 - km 874 local
2022 May - version 11 - km 1,020 local
2023 July - version 12 - km 125 local plus 400 Europe

For me, the open weave upper is just brilliant. One of my training routes is a 15 km walk along a beach with at least four stream to cross. Nothing is more fun than to wade across, having tested for water strength after a downpour in the hills, knowing that the immediate inflow just as quickly becomes an outflow and that after about 100 metres the warmth of my foot is quickly dispatching a lot of the retained water.

And no blisters since 2015.

So, @falconbrother, I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

So I can say kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.