• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in SdC, an entirely superfluous post

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
I apologize for this completely theoretical, superfluous post, take it with a pinch of humor.
I must admit that this question has preoccupied me every time, from the completion of my second Camino to the sixth this year:
If, after crossing the motorway bridge, I reach the city limits of Santiago and have thus "walked the last 100 km", has the requirement for the Compostela been met? In other words: What might prevent me from taking the waiting bus on the right side of the road to ride to the Plaza del Obradoiro?
Of course, I wouldn't do that, but the question crosses my mind every time I walk that last long and not-so-exciting stretch into the center.

What's our expert's opinion on this?
😉 😃

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I apologize for this completely theoretical, superfluous post, take it with a pinch of humor.
I must admit that this question has preoccupied me every time, from the completion of my second Camino to the sixth this year:
If, after crossing the motorway bridge, I reach the city limits of Santiago and have thus "walked the last 100 km", has the requirement for the Compostela been met? In other words: What might prevent me from taking the waiting bus on the right side of the road to ride to the Plaza del Obradoiro?
Of course, I wouldn't do that, but the question crosses my mind every time I walk that last long and not-so-exciting stretch into the center.

What's our expert's opinion on this?
😉 😃
Well you’ve come to the right place for ‘number of angels on the head of a pin’ discussion.

Whilst we’re waiting for an expert …

My interpretation would be that the end-point the church authorities would have in mind would be the purported resting place of St James; but I’m sure they haven’t got cameras up on the city limits and you wouldn’t be the first to patronise the local taxi and bus operators within 100km of Santiago.

(A few seconds later: I defer to the greater expertise of those who were typing whilst I was)

There is actually a more interesting technicality, in that you don't actually have to go down to visit the reliquary itself, but just visit inside the Cathedral, which is to say the Altar and the Episcopal See (the Bishop's Throne placed by the Altar).

I have my latest Compostela with me, and it states that you will have visited "ad Limina" to the "sacratissimum templum" and so on, and Ad Limina means to the threshold, not to the relics themselves. So that Bishops making their Ad Limina visits to the Holy See don't actually need to make physical visitation to the tombs of Saints Peter and Paul, but only to the Basilica that is at the threshold of those tombs.

Similarly, pilgrims visiting the tomb of the Apostle Saint James Ad Limina.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is actually a more interesting technicality, in that you don't actually have to go down to visit the reliquary itself, but just visit inside the Cathedral, which is to say the Altar and the Episcopal See (the Bishop's Throne placed by the Altar).

I have my latest Compostela with me, and it states that you will have visited "ad Limina" to the "sacratissimum templum" and so on, and Ad Limina means to the threshold, not to the relics themselves. So that Bishops making their Ad Limina visits to the Holy See don't actually need to make physical visitation to the tombs of Saints Peter and Paul, but only to the Basilica that is at the threshold of those tombs.

Similarly, pilgrims visiting the tomb of the Apostle Saint James Ad Limina.
"...you will have v-i-s-i-t-e-d "ad limina"....", would that technically not leave it open, how that last stretch after having crossed the SdC city border is accomplished?
Give me hope 🙏🏼

"...you will have v-i-s-i-t-e-d "ad limina"....", would that technically not leave it open, how that last stretch after having crossed the SdC city border is accomplished?
Give me hope 🙏🏼
LOL but no, it's a specific term in Church Law, referring to the sacred limits of the Sanctuary in question.

Nice try though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOL I have just found a mistake in the Latin of my Compostela.

It is signed José Fernandez Lago - - except that it should be : Joseph/Ioseph/Josephus/Iosephus.

All are OK, but the ones beginning I are better. As to the é, it's right out, no such accents exist in Latin.

At some point, as in many discussions, I believe I've now gotten too much information...;) I think I'll just go back to my cave and prepare for my next pilgrimage. Once again, I'll prepare with my journey in mind and let my friends continue in preparing for their journey. Would someone hand me my cigar, please?

Very interesting discussion, everyone. 😁 That last stretch of city into the Cathedral can seem to take forever, for Camino first-timers and for veterans. Plus there's a good bit of uphill climb so it's understandable that grabbing a bus by the side of the road is an attractive option sometimes. I'm very tempted myself half the time, walking in to work in the rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very interesting discussion, everyone. 😁 That last stretch of city into the Cathedral can seem to take forever, for Camino first-timers and for veterans. Plus there's a good bit of uphill climb so it's understandable that grabbing a bus by the side of the road is an attractive option sometimes. I'm very tempted myself half the time, walking in to work in the rain.
Getting into SdC is not nearly as bad as getting into some other cities. I'd say Burgos is the worst

The problem I had the first time was that the arrows and markers seem to disappear as you get closer in Santiago. That, and the fact that there was no brass band heralding my arrival after walking for a month. 😅
Getting into SdC is not nearly as bad as getting into some other cities. I'd say Burgos is the worst
It's not so bad when you take the river route detailed here: Burgos river route

I took the river route. To me going next to the Burgos Airport was the worst part of the Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Common, the big green monster is unique, and you get a great view at the top

I took the river route. To me going next to the Burgos Airport was the worst part of the Camino
Nowhere near as bad as the main road official route in, though to be fair I did need to walk in that way last year, and it is significantly less disagreeable than it used to be. There are resting spots, a proper hiking/cycling path, reasonable speed limits, and even one or two spots where you can buy refreshments.

And I would add that the trail by the airport is less annoying towards France than Compostela, and potentially also less annoying on the second go than one's first, from knowing what you're getting into.

Still, nothing beats what we needed to do in the 1990s, and cross the motorway after León on foot ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That, and the fact that there was no brass band heralding my arrival after walking for a month. 😅
I was happy enough with the bagpipes announcing my entrance.😊

It's not so bad when you take the river route detailed here: Burgos river route
Yes, the river route is a great alternative.
In addition beforehand, veering off onto the less traveled alternate side route before getting close to Burgos far in the distance was a highlight for me.
Screenshot_20221216-115458~2.png

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.