• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Attrition Rate SJPdP to SdC?

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean-Los Arcos ,Sept, Oct 14'
Los Arcos - Logrono-May16'
Next Logrono to ? - Sept 2019
I've found some great stats on the forum for the Camino in general. One I haven't found yet is the # of Pilgrims that start at SJPdP heading for SdC but don't make it the whole way.

I wonder, has this been calculated?.. one might not be able to gather that type info but it really would be helpful ( for me at least ) I'm 66 , therefore I fit into that <12% group , If my age group begins the Trek but only 5% make it , this would help me get a focus on how high the Bar is for us "seasoned folk" . I Might need to add some addition workout exercises to my list.

Now if it could go one step further and the attrition could be broken into "Reasons for Leaving the Path" .. i'e bad legs/feet , found a great pub in Burgos and decide to stay , death , sickness .. that would be Sweet .

I understand that The Way is personal and you cannot measure a soul and it's purpose ( and we shouldn't) and stats sort of dampen the spiritual event .. yet having as much info as possible before heading on my Way , that would be nice .. attrition data would be helpful .. just saying

745 days to go ..

Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Joe

It is a very interesting question. Alas there is no answer! When pilgrims arrive in Santiago if they register at the Pilgrims Office then they report where they started from. Very few places are like St Jean Pied de Port and have a pilgrims office of their own to record the numbers started. Also many pilgrims, mainly Europeans can take years to finish their pilgrimage as they do it in sections when they have time off work. I'm afraid this would be impossible to record.

On a much more positive note - I'm sure once you've started you'll finish!

Best wishes

John

DeadFred said:
I wonder, has this been calculated?.. one might not be able to gather that type info but it really would be helpful ( for me at least ) I'm 66 , therefore I fit into that <12% group , If my age group
I understand that The Way is personal and you cannot measure a soul and it's purpose ( and we shouldn't) and stats sort of dampen the spiritual event .. yet having as much info as possible before heading on my Way , that would be nice .. attrition data would be helpful .. just saying
Hi Joe, Sometimes pilgrims return to the Camino without the intention of walking to Santiago e.g. a friend is there at the moment walking for a short time with someone who needs a little hand holding before venturing out by themselves.

When we choose to go on pilgrimage, we learn a lot about ourselves and about others. For some, the lessons are learnt before reaching Santiago and the purpose of the pilgrimage has been fulfilled. It is not a failure to stop.

Forget about your age. Go for regular walks with a backpack. When you start on your pilgrimage, take it easy for the first week or so until your body adjusts to the routine. If you set out with the intention of giving yourself over to the experience and just walking until you're finished (wherever that is) it won't seem so daunting.

A word of warning though. You don't just walk the Camino and then tick it off the list. Some of us (myself included) must be slow learners as the Camino calls again and again :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
On a much more positive note - I'm sure once you've started you'll finish
Hi Joe,
Yes, it would be an interesting stat, however I think the Camino is there to be "started" and walked with the intention of completion, what happens along the way happens.
Regarding your fitness level, I think with the time you have to prepare you should be fine. In fact I think the "seasoned folk" hold there own pretty well in the "Camino Stakes".
Good luck with your planning and preparation.
Buen Camino.
Col

Hi Joe!
The stats might be interesting, but ... they might put some people off the experience, and that would be such a shame!
Don't even think of your age. Age is a number on a piece of paper. My piece of paper says 73 ... but it's just a number.
The only practice you need is walking with a back-pack.
Good luck, enjoy the practicing, and, when it finally comes, Buen Camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yep, a very interesting question, and as John says difficult to answer on an ongoing basis without tagging pilgrims (and even then you wouldn't get reasons for leaving the Camino)! :D

You could attempt it as a survey. You'd have to be clear about the question though. Are we interested specifically in how many people planning to walk from SJPP to SdC don't make it there for whatever reason, what those reasons are, and is there a profile of someone less/more likely to make it? That would be relatively easy with an appropriate sample, but would still be subject to 'one off' events such as unusual weather during the course of the research.

If it was a wider question about where people choose to start and finish their Caminos and why, it would become much more complicated, starting with finding a representative sample.

Oh dear, stats were my life for too many years... :shock:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful responses ! I understand how difficult it would be to gathering up this type info so I will but a number on it ,, lets say "4% of the 12% don't make it to SdC( 33% attrition) and go with that. Next step is to decide what I will do with it . Probably add 5 more lbs to my backpack .

Presently I'm walking 20 mi a week , with the Ozarks being all hills & hollers I get some challenges along the way . I will be starting day trips on weekends soon (12-15 mi ) then move on to weekend treks .

Thanks for the replies and encouragment !

744 days to go :p

Joe
NorthWest Arkansas

I have never met anyone yet who has given up.
Though some people have been delayed by circumstance.

DeadFred said:
lets say "4% of the 12% don't make it to SdC( 33% attrition) and go with that. s
Let's just say you'll make it Joe! Others have and you will too. And you'll enjoy it. :D

Buen Camino!

Edit. P.S. The only people I've personally seen give up were under 40 years of age. Wisdom comes with age (and taking good advice) etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Joe, very interesting thread! I'm 60 in Nov this year, & starting a part-Camino (from Leon, my first Camino adventure!) in 44 days! got going on training last weekend! Great to see all the words of support from very experienced Peregrinos! thank you all!

Well, it took me three attempts before I made it to Santiago de Compostela. My first Camino was in 2005 when I walked from Roncesvalles to Estella where I had to give up due to severe knee problems. I made my way to Compostela by train, stopping at Burgos and Leon for a few days each, simply because I didn't think I'd have the chance to return to Spain.

Attempt no 2 was in 2006 when I walked from Roncesvalles to Leon. I caught a cold early in the trip and, by the time I reached Leon, was extremely sick with a sinus infection. A wonderful local doctor, who spoke fluent English, treated me with antibiotics etc and suggested I return home, which I did and had a nasal operation shortly after arriving back home.

Attempt no 3 was 2007. Because I had never walked from SJPP I decided to do this and walked to Pamplona. There I caught a train to Leon and finished what I set out to do 2 years before. Mind you, the knees still haven't forgiven me!

So, three Caminos in three years, and during each one I was surprised at the number of people who did drop out. I felt a bit of a failure because I'd not walked the whole stretch in one go, but there are so many other pilgrims who drop out from ill health, injury, or just cannot cope with the mental stress of walking day after day. That's just the way it goes and, if you don't make it, there is nothing to be ashamed about.

Buen Camino

Trudy

An interesting question Fred, but really, if you look at it again, you are doing stats from fear ... crikey, can I make it, I'm an old guy, old guys like me must give up all the time ... etc ..etc ... blah blah ... the chattering mind really does do fear very well ... but the real you, the silent observing mind behind the chattering mind is not afraid, and is the one calling you to the Camino, the chattering mind will resist this, don't let it win - all is well :wink:

On a practical note, it seems to me that anyone starting at St. Jean and getting to Logrono is truly on their way. True, we can suffer damage and illness at any time but it is the day after day after day carrying that pack that can cause harm, and those first five days or so tend to be when the body shows faults ... but this is not a problem, I have met many who have stayed in Logrono and extra day or so to heal and then carried on (I have done it myself) - the whole trick is to be relaxed, to be kind to yourself. If you find it hard, well, slow down, take it easy, take a day off.
Whatever you do don't book yourself into a refuge a day ahead, you will find yourself keeping to a timetable - a terrible thing to do as you are always in the future, not where you are now - don't do it.

During the day sit at the top of a hill, or in a valley by a stream, or by a ruined building - somewhere truly quiet, sit, sit for an hour, two hours, take your boots off, drink water, be still, be silent and still - no phones, no ipads, no talking, no worries, just being there - just be - and when you are ready, well, stand up and walk on (don't forget your boots) .... so be not afraid Fred (who isn't dead), you walk in the footsteps of millions - all is well :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
David ,Yes, some of it is fear , it's also a complex mental event at the moment for me . I'm collecting as many inputs as I can . That's my nature, I drill down until I get a good feeling. Drives my wife Laurie Nuts.

Thanks for your inspirational post . I do appreciate it very much. I DO very much look forward to reflecting near streams and Vistas ... No watches will be taken , no electronic I-whatevers will be plugged into ears, time will be taken in small slow steps and much pondering.

Thank you anfear, colinPeter ,Finisterre, JohnnieWalker, Julie, Stephen Nicholls, Trudy, Tyrrek, for your wonderful comments ..You guys are very cool

744 Days To Go

Joe
NW Arkansas

P.S ,, link below is the road in front of my house .. thats one of my practice hills .. Steep!

http://www.deadfred.com/photos/78796.jpg

Crikey Fred - if I had a view like that outside I would be sooo tempted to put a yellow waymarker on that post!!

Great Idea David! .. Maybe I will open a Hostel too :lol:

David said:
Crikey Fred - if I had a view like that outside I would be sooo tempted to put a yellow waymarker on that post!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back