• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August heatwave on camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I want to do a spontaneous camino yet again with arrival in 3-5 days (based on the flight price) to MADRID. I’m thinking of doing the primitive way or the winter way - I did the French in the past and I have about 2-3 weeks max to spend in Europe.

My question is how is everyone handling the weather? Is it as bad as they show on the news? I’m in good health and this would be my only free time to fly out to EUROPE this year… how’s everyone’s experience? Perhaps some trails are easier than others??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My question is how is everyone handling the weather? Is it as bad as they show on the news? I’m in good health and this would be my only free time to fly out to EUROPE this year… how’s everyone’s experience? Perhaps some trails are easier than others??
I'm not walking, but looking at the forecasts for the area around Madrid, I would definitely be avoiding the hot parts of the day, as well as taking other precautions against heat stress when maximum temperatures are going to be above 30degC. I also think the suggestion to think about one of the coastal routes is worth investigating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We’re on our second day on the Primitivo. So far the mornings have been great all the way to about 12pm :) We finished the Portuguese last week and had some really hot days walking on the road. So right now the forest trails on the Primitivo have been a real cool treat!

I want to do a spontaneous camino yet again with arrival in 3-5 days (based on the flight price) to MADRID. I’m thinking of doing the primitive way or the winter way - I did the French in the past and I have about 2-3 weeks max to spend in Europe.

I live in Madrid and the heat is severe at the moment. I'd say the NW of Spain would be better for walking, so the Invierno from Ponferrada would be my suggestion. You could also walk the extension from Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre if you've never done it before. I'm thinking of doing it myself, but I'm not sure when.

Decided on OVIEDO to SDC route and leaving on Monday with arrival in OVD on Wednesday.. hoping for the best…
I think you made a good choice. The Primitivo is lovely and a lot of it is shaded. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit on asphalt that is unshaded. I found a solar umbrella is a great add on and worth its 9 ounce weight!

May I suggest stopping in Palatino the first night rather than Grado? Great private albergue there called Villa Palatino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decided on OVIEDO to SDC route and leaving on Monday with arrival in OVD on Wednesday.. hoping for the best…
Just checking the 10 day weather forecast in Salas, which is day two for most people. Very pleasant…highs in the 70’s and low 80’s.
Good choice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Primitivo should be fine, you are up quite high, which is always cooler and the weather generally is very misty in the mornings.

'Heatwave?'...it"s actually something that once upon a time was called 'summer' and people took sensible precautions and didn't fret about it otherwise.
!) Whether you want to call is summer or heatwave, they are both hotter and longer in duration than they previously were. 2) People coming from areas who are not used to such a climate, will not instantly be acclimated to the change. 3) People hiking long distances may not have the time available, or a place to take, the traditional siesta (and, yes, I am aware that not all Spanish go home for a siesta these days, but they often still take a time off.) IMO, asking about current weather conditions is a sensible precaution.

'Heatwave?'...it"s actually something that once upon a time was called 'summer' and people took sensible precautions and didn't fret about it otherwise.
There's been lots of news about heat waves in Spain recently, causing problems with temperatures in the 40s centigrade, or the low hundreds Fahrenheit. Also fires.

This seems to have been diminished a bit in the last few weeks but I am sure this I'm sure that's what the OP was referring to and seeking information from those on the ground.
Seemed Like a pretty reasonable ask to me.

A bit troll-like, and unnecessarily rude, your comment, IMO.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We've just moved on from 5 days in Madrid. The 42°C day we spent alternating between the shady trees and standing under the sprinklers in Parque del Retiro! All days were 39°C or hotter and with a minimum of around 23°C. Sí, hace mi muy calor.
We were active but we got really tired. Definitely stick to being in air-conditioning between 4 and 7 (max reached around 6pm in daylight savings).
I used an umbrella some days but the heat seemed to radiate up from the pavement.
Definitely go North!

We've just moved on from 5 days in Madrid. The 42°C day we spent alternating between the shady trees and standing under the sprinklers in Parque del Retiro! All days were 39°C or hotter and with a minimum of around 23°C. Sí, hace mi muy calor.
We were active but we got really tired. Definitely stick to being in air-conditioning between 4 and 7 (max reached around 6pm in daylight savings).
I used an umbrella some days but the heat seemed to radiate up from the pavement.
Definitely go North!
Thank you so much! The news on tv sounds critical, so I wanted to get the real life perspective. The umbrella sounds like a good idea - I didn’t think of that…

Thank you to everyone who took their time to respond to my inquiry. Kindly appreciated

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm on the Frances now and have walked from St Jean to currently Ponferrada. Yes, it has been very hot and hotter than any of my past Summer 🏝️ Camino journeys. In fact, this Summer weather has surprised me much compared to previous Summers. it has been manageable because I have enjoyed air-con and private rooms. However, sadly I have come across a lot of people who gave in around the meseta because of intolerable dorm heat and not able to budget to a private with Air-con. Many more are managing on though. I would say, don't let it put you off, just budget for a private with the wonderful cool of air-con sometimes.

Last edited:
Walked the Norte last month and was glorious!
Went up to Castro Urdailes last week and was lovely weather, so stay north!
Now in Madrid and frankly am a prisoner in my place until 8 or 9pm at night.

Yes we have had a few warm/ hot months in the last few years, but the earth has had hotter periods previously and way before our current level of population or industrialization. What has happened in the last couple of centuries is a mere blink of time. No reason for hysteria.

This is a tricky question as weather, by its very nature, will vary from day to day and place to place. even without taking into account the fact that temperatures have broken records over the last few years, August can be very hot in Spain. Please be sure you wear suitable clothing (especially headgear) and drink plenty to avoid dehydration. Heatstroke is not pleasant.

Yes we have had a few warm/ hot months in the last few years, but the earth has had hotter periods previously and way before our current level of population or industrialization. What has happened in the last couple of centuries is a mere blink of time. No reason for hysteria.

Moderator´s note: This is not a very helpful post. What the climate may or may not have been in Roman times is of no relevance to someone walking the camino now. They need to know that it will be hot (more so in the south, of course) and that they need to be aware of this. Warning someone against the dangers of walking in Spain in high summer is not hysteria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
*when every year wasn’t hotter than the one before. Climate change is here.

And yet it rains constantly in the UK this summer. Give me some of that European heat. At least they can't complain about lack of water in the reservoirs.

Still I'll be out on my camino in a couple of weeks and can enjoy the warmth for a bit. :)

My husband and I are right now in SJPD. We got here yesterday hoping to enjoy the town for a few days before starting our Camino. We are from South Florida and followed the weather in all the towns and cities along El Camino Frances for the past 3 months and it was supposed to be nice and cool up here in SJPD. Surprise: It’s not. It’s very hot. Our hostess told us that since this past Monday, they’ve been having a heat wave and will continue. I brought with me a few long sleeve tops and a fleece light jacket for the cool mornings and evenings for those days of supposedly cool weather and I already know i’m not gonna need them. So be prepared for the heat, it’s not pleasant. Do yourself a favor and avoid any warm clothing. I’m not even sure if my husband and I will be able to take the heat day after day. We did trained in Weston, FL under horrible hot and humid weather but were hoping for something better here. Not sure we will find the weather we were hoping for and anticipated on weather apps. So as everyone has advised , bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. By the way, SJPD is an adorable town with a lot of charm and beautiful arquitectura, highly recommended for 2 days before the start of El Camino Frances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I already know i’m not gonna need them. So be prepared for the heat, it’s not pleasant. Do yourself a favor and avoid any warm clothing.
Not so fast! You have 4 or 5 weeks and 800 km to go, and the weather can (and likely WILL) change. You should have several light layers that can be combined for warmth when necessary - a long-sleeved sun protection shirt with a light merino long-sleeved layer under it, and a rain jacket over, can be adequate in cool weather and the separate layers will be useful at other times. Don't leave them all at home just because it is hot today.

Buen Camino!

I think you made a good choice. The Primitivo is lovely and a lot of it is shaded. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit on asphalt that is unshaded. I found a solar umbrella is a great add on and worth its 9 ounce weight!

May I suggest stopping in Palatino the first night rather than Grado? Great private albergue there called Villa Palatino!
Where do you find a 9 ounce solar umbrella?

There are a number of sellers of lightweight solar umbrellas.

I owned this one from Euroschirm (who makes the umbrellas sold by Gossamer Gear and other ultralight backpacking companies). It weighs 6.72 ounces.

Unfortunately, I never was able to rig it up so that it was really stable and easy to deploy to use handsfree, and then one of the ribs broke in the wind.

I have used the Handsfree Telescope model on most of my Caminos. It is heavier, but has a larger canopy, and feels very secure when it's attached to my backpack. It has blown inside out numerous times, but I have always been able to put it back in place with no damage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for reminding me that the weather can change any minute. You are absolutely right about that and we all should be prepared for it.

My husband and I are right now in SJPD. We got here yesterday hoping to enjoy the town for a few days before starting our Camino. We are from South Florida and followed the weather in all the towns and cities along El Camino Frances for the past 3 months and it was supposed to be nice and cool up here in SJPD. Surprise: It’s not. It’s very hot. Our hostess told us that since this past Monday, they’ve been having a heat wave and will continue. I brought with me a few long sleeve tops and a fleece light jacket for the cool mornings and evenings for those days of supposedly cool weather and I already know i’m not gonna need them. So be prepared for the heat, it’s not pleasant. Do yourself a favor and avoid any warm clothing. I’m not even sure if my husband and I will be able to take the heat day after day. We did trained in Weston, FL under horrible hot and humid weather but were hoping for something better here. Not sure we will find the weather we were hoping for and anticipated on weather apps. So as everyone has advised , bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. By the way, SJPD is an adorable town with a lot of charm and beautiful arquitectura, highly recommended for 2 days before the start of El Camino Frances.
Regardless of whey you go you need to have layers that will work for warm to cold weather. It can still be very hot in the afternoons in September and October.

We are in Zubiri right now and we get up and start walking around 6am on these very hot days.
After checking into our Albergue, the very next stop was the river! I jumped in clothes and all - I showered and washed my clothes all at the same time! What a relief that cold water was.
In saying that, I think there are 3 more days in the high 30s and then cooler weather arrives. Low twenties and maybe some rain. Yes!
Hang in there it will get cooler.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just checking the 10 day weather forecast in Salas, which is day two for most people. Very pleasant…highs in the 70’s and low 80’s.
With great respect @Richmond Gardner , and trying to avoid the moderators' eagle eye:

I know not how to understand your post.

As this is an international forum and as the focus of the forum is walks in Spain, that references to temperature (as I think is what the numbers are suggesting) should be in terms used in Spain (and in most other countries in Europe and by contributors from around the world).

A way forward, of course, is to use all the standard temperature scales, complete with signifying letter. For example nnC / nnF etc.

A recent post by @trecile (you will have to search it out yourself) will round out the point.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Not so fast! You have 4 or 5 weeks and 800 km to go, and the weather can (and likely WILL) change.
I plan to be in SJPDP in just over a week's time. Just looked at a weather forecast. Predicting 39C or 40C maximum on Wednesday and Thursday this week. But damp and only 22C maximum on the day I arrive. That's a probable 18 degree difference in temperature in the same place just three days apart. So imagine what the variation could be over the course of a month and a number of ascents and descents.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With great respect @Richmond Gardner , and trying to avoid the moderators' eagle eye:

I know not how to understand your post.

As this is an international forum and as the focus of the forum is walks in Spain, that references to temperature (as I think is what the numbers are suggesting) should be in terms used in Spain (and in most other countries in Europe and by contributors from around the world).

A way forward, of course, is to use all the standard temperature scales, complete with signifying letter. For example nnC / nnF etc.

A recent post by @trecile (you will have to search it out yourself) will round out the point.

It is quite easy to convert Celsius to Farenheit or Farenheit to Celsius. You can just Google it. This can be doe by either the poster or anyone who reads the post. Having said that, Celsius is standard in Spain and France, not to mention Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. 70F = 21.1C and 80F = 26C

It is quite easy to convert Celsius to Farenheit or Farenheit to Celsius.

Easy it might be, for some.
And if that is all you want to do each day, then (I suggest with great respect and humility) fill your boots.

On the other hand, the forum is not a place for conversions (of temperature, distance or souls).

As I understand it, the forum is for helping us all plan, enjoy and report on walking towards Compostela.

My understanding, @dick bird, is your exhortation is aimed at residents of those few countries that do not have the lingua franca of temperature and distance as used in Spain, for them to make conversions at home so their writings can make sense to all readers on this forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back