• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to the drawing board

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Books and maps everywhere. I need to decide where to go and how long I can be away. Yes my family let's me go on a Camino this summer as well. I can be away 2-4 weeks (end of July-Beginning of August i know it would be better later but I couldn't get vacation then). So where to go?

Some of you might know my speed and average distance and where I have been already but some others not so here are some stats:
Camino Frances (from SJPdP) + -SdC-Finisterre-Muxía-SdC + Camino Inglés (From Ferrol) (23+6+4) 33 days
Camino san Salvador + Camino Primitivo - 11 days

So 14 days walking would be at least 550 km and 28 days 1100 km.

Looking at this map http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/PDF/Map_Caminos_Complete.pdf gives me the options:
Camino Portugués 620 km
Camino del Norte 830 km
Via de la Plata 1000 km
Camino de Levante or Sureste + Camino Sanabrés 1160 km

Any other routs I should consider? Any recommendations?

Or should I stay here in the Nordics and do St Olav's way instead 564 km. But that would be more like normal hiking, probably carrying a tent and having to carry food for some parts. Not having the community to talk to on arrival at night.

And please skip the comments about walking fast and having long days etc. I have my way of walking and what I enjoy. That is how I do it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really liked the VdlP, but not recommended in summer...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well Beatrice, this is an absolutely horrible problem that you are faced with and will probably require vast quantities of "Sangria" to solve.....At least for me anyhow. :):):)
Seriously, I have not started my second Camino as yet (Sept 2015) and I am already thinking of my third----Camino Portugués.....Hint.
Good luck with your decision and heck, there's not a bad choice among the options that you have. PS---Say hello to my Son next time you are in Stockholm......Ed

How great, Beatrice!

Being on the ground in Santiago, here's what I've been hearing the past few weeks from pilgrims arriving from different routes: the Via de la Plata is already getting hot, hot, hot. In July and August it will most likely be even hotter. And with the sun bearing down and very few parts with shade, it's probably not recommended for the time you'll be on the trail.

Nate just did two weeks of the Camino del Norte from Irún to Santander and loved it. There was sea on one side and mountains on the other for much of this section, and some days he was literally walking on a beach to get to the ferry which would take him to the town with the albergue (sounds so fun!). The one downside was there was more pavement walking than he thought there would be. Other pilgrims who've walked the Norte say it's challenging, there are plenty of pilgrims around but it's not crowded, and it's a gorgeous walk.

A few pilgrims who have recently completed the Camino Portugués from Lisbon have said they enjoyed the section from Porto to Santiago, but they just slogged through Lisbon to Porto. It was unseasonably warm recently, though, and they said that section contained a lot of highway walking.

So that's a snapshot of what I've been hearing. Of course, other pilgrims who've actually done the walks recently can give you even more information.

Have you considered walking from Le Puy? Or the Tour du Mont Blanc in France? I've heard that's incredible!

Take care and have fun planning, wherever you end up.
Faith

How great, Beatrice!

Being on the ground in Santiago, here's what I've been hearing the past few weeks from pilgrims arriving from different routes: the Via de la Plata is already getting hot, hot, hot. In July and August it will most likely be even hotter. And with the sun bearing down and very few parts with shade, it's probably not recommended for the time you'll be on the trail.

Nate just did two weeks of the Camino del Norte from Irún to Santander and loved it. There was sea on one side and mountains on the other for much of this section, and some days he was literally walking on a beach to get to the ferry which would take him to the town with the albergue (sounds so fun!). The one downside was there was more pavement walking than he thought there would be. Other pilgrims who've walked the Norte say it's challenging, there are plenty of pilgrims around but it's not crowded, and it's a gorgeous walk.

A few pilgrims who have recently completed the Camino Portugués from Lisbon have said they enjoyed the section from Porto to Santiago, but they just slogged through Lisbon to Porto. It was unseasonably warm recently, though, and they said that section contained a lot of highway walking.

So that's a snapshot of what I've been hearing. Of course, other pilgrims who've actually done the walks recently can give you even more information.

Have you considered walking from Le Puy? Or the Tour de Mont Blanc in France? I've heard that's incredible!

Take care and have fun planning, wherever you end up.
Faith
Thanks for your answer. I want to end up in Santiago otherwise I could walk anywhere in the world. That day I start in Le Puy it will be a long walk :) I just live a couple of hours form the Swedish mountains so if I just want to hike I can go there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I think you would love the route from Le Puy. And there would be opportunities for so many beautiful photographs!

Levante, I imagine there is options for getting to Valencia quite easily, it is well marked, good guides and info on here. 1100-1200 might be hard for you in 28 days. It is flatish until after Toledo, but this might spur you on. Its route you have not walked before, its getting busier but you should still be able to get a bed.

Thanks for your answer. I want to end up in Santiago otherwise I could walk anywhere in the world. That day I start in Le Puy it will be a long walk :) I just live a couple of hours form the Swedish mountains so if I just want to hike I can go there.

Ah, Santiago is a draw for sure :). My vote would be for the Camino del Norte, then! Although, what @mikevasey says about the Levante is intriguing as well...

Enjoy all the planning,
Faith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I think you would love the route from Le Puy. And there would be opportunities for so many beautiful photographs!
Yes I would probably love it but will saveit for a year when I can be away long enough to reach a goal. If I walk a pilgrimage route I want to reach it's destination.

Levante, I imagine there is options for getting to Valencia quite easily, it is well marked, good guides and info on here. 1100-1200 might be hard for you in 28 days. It is flatish until after Toledo, but this might spur you on. Its route you have not walked before, its getting busier but you should still be able to get a bed.
28 days is not a hard limit I can always negotiate more at home if needed. Longer distances than 40 is not a problem it just gives a little longer day. I average about 5 km/h including lunchstops. But I think it would be more realistic to calculate with 33 days.

There is a few people walking or about to walk this route, there will probably be good info coming back on accommodation and places to be careful with way marking. Whatever you do Buen Camino.

I'm a little concerned about your calculations

So 14 days walking would be at least 550 km and 28 days 1100 km

this would average 39km a day which is a lot, way more than the average pilgrim would do. I would seriously reassess this

The Norte in August is bad for accommodation. The people walking the entire route or just sections really goes up, so you have situations where there are 2-3 times the amount of pilgrims too beds, also because it is a busy holiday area other options are near full and are asking for Alta prices. If you do it, a tent would be a good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a few people walking or about to walk this route, there will probably be good info coming back on accommodation and places to be careful with way marking. Whatever you do Buen Camino.
Being one of them (start in a matter of hours) I can offer you @BeatriceKarjalainen all the info I'll gather.
For you Madrid & Invierno would be nice. Very fast on "flat"Madrid and stamina on Invierno. With Muxia/Fisterra it was 950kms for me.

Anyway, Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back