• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack security - do I need locks and a mesh?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I'll be walking from SJPP in mid April. I've read on a couple of blogs that some pilgrims have secured their backpacks in their albergues using a Pacsafe mesh cover.

I'll be carrying my valuables with me whenever I leave the albergue to go for a walk etc, but is it necessary to use locks and a security device? (The most expensive thing I'll have in my backpack will be some merino and Gortex clothing.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
wayfarer said:
Never had a problem Bill.
Thank you WayFarer. Good to hear for a number of reasons - principally one of trust, but also these Pacsafe meshes weigh 500gms and cost over $100. Two big disincentives!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No need at all. Don't leave valuables in plain sight (altough I did, through tiredness, and they were still there when I came back) and you'll be fine.

It's worth sewing a badge on your bag and marking your poles so it's instantly obvious they're yours. That's not because of theft but because, in a crowded room of people with similar kit, things can get mixed up.

Peronel said:
It's worth sewing a badge on your bag and marking your poles so it's instantly obvious they're yours. That's not because of theft but because, in a crowded room of people with similar kit, things can get mixed up.
Good idea. Get a forum badge from Ivar and you may meet some pilgrims from the forum.

All that said, don´t be careless. Valuable things "vanish" with some frequency at albergues. Never bring anything with you that you cannot afford to lose.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If your backpack has a zipper compartment, I'd recommend bringing along a small luggage lock for that. Then you can tuck in semi-valuable things when you need to and feel secure. But the mesh isn't necessary.

Think like a thief. A locked zipper says "valuables in here." It will take a thief little more than a Swiss Army knife to get into that pocket. Better security would be far inside the pack, say rolled in your sleeping bag or in a stuff sack of socks and underwear.

Pickpockets in stations position themselves near the sign that says "Beware of Pickpockets." They watch people pat their wallet in response to the sign, and go straight for that pocket.

Beyond the obvious protections, don't worry about it. A truly determined thief will succeed. Just avoid being the easiest target. Two men came upon a hungry tiger. The first said, "Stand your ground. We cannot outrun it." The second one said, "I only have to outrun you," and took off...

Good point, Falcon. A lock is only to stop the opportunist thief, not the professional. I lock my bag and turn the lock to the wall or bed so it's not readily visible to the opportunist. So far I've been un-robbed for seven Caminos (touch wood).
Nancy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good point, Falcon. A lock is only to stop the opportunist thief, not the professional. I lock my bag and turn the lock to the wall or bed so it's not readily visible to the opportunist. So far I've been un-robbed for seven Caminos (touch wood).
Nancy

No, but carry your passport, money, cards & other valuables with you all the time.

Hi goatgirl, I've been walking Caminos since 2000 and have never seen the mesh. But I haven't been on the Frances for years now, mainly to avoid the crowds, and I'm not surprised to read that theft is increasing. More people + more fancy gadgets = more theft.

Though it's important to be vigilant, I agree with those who caution against overdoing it. I put all my valuables in a fanny pack, and the fanny pack is never out of my sight. At night, it is clicked around the post of the bunk and then placed between my pillow and the wall. Or I sometimes put it in the foot of my sleeping bag. I think meshes and locks just feed the fears and probably in the final analysis don't deter too much theft. Besides, they are just more things you have to pack up every day and pay attention to.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A mesh cover might only serve to announce IMPORTANT STUFF INSIDE; TAKE ME!!
Discretion and no bling might be surer protection. However, never leave unwatched what you can't afford to lose. Like Laurie and many other pilgrims I sleep with any valuables within my sleeping bag beneath my feet and NEVER tell anyone where and what they are!! A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?" As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read these recent Forum threads with useful tips on camino security
and here.

MM

I've read other streams that recommend using lightweight zap straps to secure your pack to the bed or other furniture to avoid it from being stolen. Is this necesary?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What would you do with that lock? It's already been mentioned it doesn't take more then a pocket knife to slice open a backpack. You might come back to find the only thing left is your lock and the cut up backpack :rolleyes:

Might be better to put a couple cat bells on the thing so it rings if anybody move it :p

What would you do with that lock? It's already been mentioned it doesn't take more then a pocket knife to slice open a backpack. You might come back to find the only thing left is your lock and the cut up backpack :rolleyes:

Might be better to put a cou

Might be better to put a couple cat bells on the thing so it rings if anybody move it :p

Actually when im out and about and want to leave my pack outside it works AWESOME. Do you think that if someone saw a pack being cut with a knife by someone they wouldn't say something to that person or to someone else. I have used this little beauty all over for different things , and hey its worked so far. To each their own i suppose

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Locks help keep honest people honest. If a thief wants your backpack, he/she will take it, lock or no lock, and the results are the same, i.e. you are without your gear. A cable lock won't keep him/her from stealing it but it might slow him/her down, or make it less easy so he/she will move on to an unsecured backpack. I, for one, will be using a cable lock to secure my backpack to my bunk.

I can get into a zippered compartment even if it's locked.
And leave it looking as tho it's never been touched.
In under 30 seconds. Easy as pie.
Whilst I could remove whatever I so desired, I could also insert a package for you to carry across a border for me.
And so could any proficient thief or smuggler.
Always ensure you are vigilant with your luggage.

Regds
Gerard

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've read other streams that recommend using lightweight zap straps to secure your pack to the bed or other furniture to avoid it from being stolen. Is this necesary?
No. The day I start to worry about someone stealing my backpack is the day I stop doing the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.