• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baztan advice

Leemac40

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan - September 2nd
Hi there, I'm starting my two week Camino in Bayonne in a couple of weeks walking the Baztan then on to Burgos. In over thinking mode now with regards to footwear! On my previous Camino's I have been blighted by blisters and am trying to find footwear which is appropriate and comfortable. Having read others experience on the Baztan it seems it can be very muddy and wet, would my Altra lone peaks be up for this? Not sure whether the tread would be up for the terrain? Also considering my Meindl activo which feel a bit sturdier and "grippy"? Also want to order walking poles to be delivered to my Hostel as I arrive after 10pm and plan to start walking early next morning but can't figure out how to do this online, has anybody done this and could offer some advice? Sorry for the long ramble , as I say, overthinking and extremely excited 😆 thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hi @Leemac40

We walked the Baztan in May this year. It was muddy in a few parts - but that was because there had been torrential rain for about a week before we started and it rained for 4 out of our 5 days while we were walking. You can be unlucky, but there's no reason to think you will have the same. And there is plenty of walking on quiet country roads and paths where there is no mud whatever the weather. Despite the rain, we loved the Baztan. I wore my Brooks Cascadia trail runners, which were fine. I don't think you need to have different shoes for the Baztan than you would walking from Pamplona to Burgos.

I see from your profile that you have walked Sarria to Santiago. I don't know if you have walked any other less travelled routes. But I'm sure in your research you've discovered that the Baztan is not walked by many people and does not have anywhere near the infrastructure of the Frances. So, it will be a very different experience and possibly a solitary one. I hope you enjoy it very much.

Sorry that I'm not sure what to advise regarding delivery of the poles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pelerina, I did follow your walk, I have walked the Primitivo which I imagine is also a lot busier 🤔 are there days where I will not find anywhere to buy food? I've been studying buen Camino to try and suss out what amenities there are along the way and it looks like the latter stages have less, is that right?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Pelerina, I did follow your walk, I have walked the Primitivo which I imagine is also a lot busier 🤔 are there days where I will not find anywhere to buy food? I've been studying buen Camino to try and suss out what amenities there are along the way and it looks like the latter stages have less, is that right?
Yes, the Primitivo has more people walking and more infrastructure.

As to where you can buy food on the Baztan, it sort of depends on your stages and on what day of the week you are passing through a particular village whether there will be anything open. And as for dinner and breakfast, that depends on where you are stopping. But we definitely didn't go hungry.

Our Day 1 was Bayonne to Espelette (you can buy food in Ustraritz and Espelette). Our Day 2 was Espelette to Urdax - on that section, you will cross the border from France to Spain, there is a supermarket at the border town. We bought a few supplies. We were able to have dinner at the Monastery and breakfast the next morning. Further along you will come to Elizondo, which is quite a big town.

Our last day was Olague to Pamplona. (Actually we had stayed in Lantz and were driven to Olague the next morning due to some flooding on the path. We could have walked on the road, it's not far but I dislike walking on the road and the lady who had let us in to the albergue the day before offered to drive us). On the last day there was a lovely cafe at Sorauren (just to the left of the path across the river).

On some days we found a place to have a coffee and a snack during the day - it can depend on what day of the week you are passing through.

Our approach was to look a day or two ahead to see what services were 'possible', but we always had some 'emergency' food in our packs.

I'm hoping to walk to the Monastery at Urdax on the first day if possible so good to know there is food available there, will stock up on emergency snacks...bread, bread, bread 😆 then follow your sections to Pamplona. Will check the cafe out and hope for open shops along the way!

I would ring ahead to be sure about food at the monastery. The gentleman who opened the monastery albergue for us (you call when you arrive) brought the dinner that evening and breakfast next morning. We had asked the day before. I don’t know if that’s always available. There is a kitchen in the albergue. There is also a bar / restaurant in the village but we were there on a Sunday and it was closed by late afternoon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would ring ahead to be sure about food at the monastery. The gentleman who opened the monastery albergue for us (you call when you arrive) brought the dinner that evening and breakfast next morning. We had asked the day before. I don’t know if that’s always available. There is a kitchen in the albergue. There is also a bar / restaurant in the village but we were there on a Sunday and it was closed by late afternoon.
Ah I see, should I phone ahead for each albergue? This is my first time walking without pre booking, getting braver with age! It's the Saturday I hope to arrive there so good to know about bar/restaurant but will bring supplies to be safe since there's a supermarket at the border.

yes i would. Some albergues are unattended. We stayed in two albergues (Urdax and Lantz) we rang ahead the day before to find out 1) if the albergue is open 2) a bed available (we were the only 2 in both). 3) to confirm the arrangement for the key, and 4) the situation in the village re a bar or restaurant open for dinner. So we knew if we had to have food with us.

In over thinking mode now with regards to footwear! On my previous Camino's I have been blighted by blisters and am trying to find footwear which is appropriate and comfortable.
No single pair of shoes will be perfect for all conditions you might encounter on the Camino. At this time of year on any Camino, you are not likely to find extreme rain, mud, etc. Considering that, and the fact that you have had previous problems with blisters, I suggest that you should focus your footwear search simply on finding the most comfortable shoes for your feet, regardless of the terrain.

Consider where you get the blisters. For me, I used to get blisters on my baby toes, until I made a point of only buying wide shoes and also going to a larger size for even more width. Now I occasionally still get blisters on the ball of my foot - I've found which socks seem least troublesome for me, and I also tape the vulnerable areas as a preventive measure. However, I need to start taping on day 1 of my camino, before even a hot spot develops.

To test the shoe/sock combination you should try walking 3 consecutive days of 15-20 km at home, with a loaded backpack. Walking 1 day won't be so indicative, as the skin on your feet may recover without blistering. However, after another day or two, a blister may appear.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's great, my french/Spanish is deplorable and I have a strong Scottish accent so that will be an interesting experience haha at least I have time to prepare a script, thanks for all your advice 👍

follow your sections to Pamplona.
Just on that, on our 4th day (sounds like that will be your 3rd), we were going to stay in Olague, but ended up in Lantz due to the conditions we'd had up on the mountain making it a v long day despite being less than 20 kms. So we had to call Lantz albergue first to make sure it was open etc as described above, and then call Olague albergue to let them know we wouldn't be coming. In 'usual' circumstances, we would have gone on to Olague which would have made the last two stages more even in terms of kms and earlier into Pamplona. It's not a huge difference but just to say Olague is another option.

Hi there, I'm starting my two week Camino in Bayonne in a couple of weeks walking the Baztan then on to Burgos. In over thinking mode now with regards to footwear! On my previous Camino's I have been blighted by blisters and am trying to find footwear which is appropriate and comfortable. Having read others experience on the Baztan it seems it can be very muddy and wet, would my Altra lone peaks be up for this? Not sure whether the tread would be up for the terrain? Also considering my Meindl activo which feel a bit sturdier and "grippy"? Also want to order walking poles to be delivered to my Hostel as I arrive after 10pm and plan to start walking early next morning but can't figure out how to do this online, has anybody done this and could offer some advice? Sorry for the long ramble , as I say, overthinking and extremely excited 😆 thanks
Not sure about your hiking pole issue...but as far as Altras...they are exactly what I walked in last year and found them to be terrific in terms of grip factor. At least IMHO! I didn't have poles (usually do!) and was ok..only two small spots where I would have liked them but made it thru ok with the help of a friend. LOVE the route FYI!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just on that, on our 4th day (sounds like that will be your 3rd), we were going to stay in Olague, but ended up in Lantz due to the conditions we'd had up on the mountain making it a v long day despite being less than 20 kms. So we had to call Lantz albergue first to make sure it was open etc as described above, and then call Olague albergue to let them know we wouldn't be coming. In 'usual' circumstances, we would have gone on to Olague which would have made the last two stages more even in terms of kms and earlier into Pamplona. It's not a huge difference but just to say Olague is another option.
My plan is Olague at the moment 👍 obviously things change though!

Not sure about your hiking pole issue...but as far as Altras...they are exactly what I walked in last year and found them to be terrific in terms of grip factor. At least IMHO! I didn't have poles (usually do!) and was ok..only two small spots where I would have liked them but made it thru ok with the help of a friend. LOVE the route FYI!!
My worry about the altras is the amount my foot moves around, I have the boots but feel their isn't enough give in the length! The meindl are a bit hard, I also have some walking sandals as an option! I'm the Goldilocks of footwear 🥴

My worry about the altras is the amount my foot moves around, I have the boots but feel their isn't enough give in the length! The meindl are a bit hard, I also have some walking sandals as an option! I'm the Goldilocks of footwear 🥴
So excited, especially after watching YouTube videos, just hoping I can avoid getting too lost or I may actually live out the Goldilocks story!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So excited, especially after watching YouTube videos, just hoping I can avoid getting too lost or I may actually live out the Goldilocks story!
We found the Baztan well marked. But as we stopped in Espelette the first night (which is a detour) we downloaded a wikiloc track for the next day to help us make our way back on to the Chemin.

It was the first time I’ve ever downloaded a GPS track and was glad to have it for the start of that day. I then downloaded for the rest of the days and kept my phone in my pocket so it would beep me if we went off the path, but it only happened once or twice and it was our fault. The signs were there.

We particularly appreciated the clear way marking in the forest climbing up to Monasterio de Belate - large freshly painted yellow arrows.

FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

We found the Baztan well marked. But as we stopped in Espelette the first night (which is a detour) we downloaded a wikiloc track for the next day to help us make our way back on to the Chemin.

It was the first time I’ve ever downloaded a GPS track and was glad to have it for the start of that day. I then downloaded for the rest of the days and kept my phone in my pocket so it would beep me if we went off the path, but it only happened once or twice and it was our fault. The signs were there.

We particularly appreciated the clear way marking in the forest climbing up to Monasterio de Belate - large freshly painted yellow arrows.

View attachment 154076View attachment 154077View attachment 154078
That's great, the YouTube video I watched showed people getting lost, have downloaded maps on wikiloc with the hope that they are easy enough to use! Feel reassured 👍

Meindls just served me well in hot asphalt my feet tolerated and muddy mountains my feet stayed dry…..lucky to finish with no blisters.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Baztan two weeks ago and did the same itinerary that you mentioned. It was hot and dry on the first day and cool and wet the next two days, followed by a warm dry day. Unless it has been raining torrentially for quite some time, there is no problem with mud. You dont need waterproof shoes for this route in summer. I used my normal summer hiking shoes. They got wet in the rain and dried overnight, or in the sun, as I walked, without any problem.

I suggest you use your normal hiking shoes. May be your blisters are because of wrong shoe or sock sizes or a combination of both?

This is what I do for blisters:
If I note friction or hot spots, I stop and use plaster (esparadrapo in spanish) to protect the zone from fruther friction. If I note it one day, I tape over it the next day before I start walking. This time, I got a small one from the wet socks. Noted it right on time to apply the esparadrapo. No problem from then onwards.

For the poles, try contacting the hostal you plan to stay and see what they say.

Now, a bit on my experience:

On the French side, the way markings are discrete and were missing at some places. We were three walking on that day and all three got lost at some point. This is somehow compensated by the excess of yellow arrows in Spain. So, better to have a GPS track with you, just to make sure on unmarked intersections or when you are in doubt - there is no need to follow the GPS all the time.

First day from Bayona to Urdax was a bit hard due to the hot weather and asfalt. Follow the riverside walk until you reach Ustaritz. There are water fountains in some sections. But make sure you carry enough water from Ustaritz beucase there are not many water fountains in the french part. If you want to eat something, or refill your bottle, you have to go to Espelette or Souraide. There is not much shade in this section after Ustaritz. So, hot weather makes it worse especially near the col de "Piña colada". In Urdax, there were a couple of bars and a food truck open till 8. So, you can eat some pintxos, etc., but please check their timings, as soon as you arrive.

The second and third day were hikes in beech forests. We were lucky to have nice cool temperature and slight rain (a slightly heavier version of Sirimiri). You can have lunch in Arizkun or in Elizondo. Also buy food for dinner and breakfast from Elizondo, as there are no shops/bars in Berroeta. The restaurant in Lantz remained temporarily closed. There is a shop in Olague which closes at 14:30 and opens again in the evening from 19:00 - 20:00 h. The hospitalera in Olague also sells local cheese. There are basic kitchens in the albergues of Berroeta and Olague. Our shoes got wet, but dried at night, but got wet again on the next two days from the wet grass and rain. The Roman road in rain is slippery and I had a small sideways fall due to slipping. Be a bit more careful with wet Roman roads.

The stretch from Olague to Pamplona looked a bit unused and with overgrown plants. If you dont like getting scratched by thorns or are alergic to insect bites, use long trousers.I did it in shorts and ended up with some bites and scratches, which I expected. There is a bar in Sorauren. If you have alrady done the camino Frances, I suggest you take the riverside walk to Pamplona from Trinidad de Arre. Don't cross the bridge when you reach the village, but continue straight. This path has more trees and shade, but is a bit longer.

In Pamploa, we found that trying to have lunch is a bit complicated without previos reservations (also, we arried at the peak time :14:00 h). But, we managed to find a restaurant after looking around for some time.

I walked the Baztan two weeks ago and did the same itinerary that you mentioned. It was hot and dry on the first day and cool and wet the next two days, followed by a warm dry day. Unless it has been raining torrentially for quite some time, there is no problem with mud. You dont need waterproof shoes for this route in summer. I used my normal summer hiking shoes. They got wet in the rain and dried overnight, or in the sun, as I walked, without any problem.

I suggest you use your normal hiking shoes. May be your blisters are because of wrong shoe or sock sizes or a combination of both?

This is what I do for blisters:
If I note friction or hot spots, I stop and use plaster (esparadrapo in spanish) to protect the zone from fruther friction. If I note it one day, I tape over it the next day before I start walking. This time, I got a small one from the wet socks. Noted it right on time to apply the esparadrapo. No problem from then onwards.

For the poles, try contacting the hostal you plan to stay and see what they say.

Now, a bit on my experience:

On the French side, the way markings are discrete and were missing at some places. We were three walking on that day and all three got lost at some point. This is somehow compensated by the excess of yellow arrows in Spain. So, better to have a GPS track with you, just to make sure on unmarked intersections or when you are in doubt - there is no need to follow the GPS all the time.

First day from Bayona to Urdax was a bit hard due to the hot weather and asfalt. Follow the riverside walk until you reach Ustaritz. There are water fountains in some sections. But make sure you carry enough water from Ustaritz beucase there are not many water fountains in the french part. If you want to eat something, or refill your bottle, you have to go to Espelette or Souraide. There is not much shade in this section after Ustaritz. So, hot weather makes it worse especially near the col de "Piña colada". In Urdax, there were a couple of bars and a food truck open till 8. So, you can eat some pintxos, etc., but please check their timings, as soon as you arrive.

The second and third day were hikes in beech forests. We were lucky to have nice cool temperature and slight rain (a slightly heavier version of Sirimiri). You can have lunch in Arizkun or in Elizondo. Also buy food for dinner and breakfast from Elizondo, as there are no shops/bars in Berroeta. The restaurant in Lantz remained temporarily closed. There is a shop in Olague which closes at 14:30 and opens again in the evening from 19:00 - 20:00 h. The hospitalera in Olague also sells local cheese. There are basic kitchens in the albergues of Berroeta and Olague. Our shoes got wet, but dried at night, but got wet again on the next two days from the wet grass and rain. The Roman road in rain is slippery and I had a small sideways fall due to slipping. Be a bit more careful with wet Roman roads.

The stretch from Olague to Pamplona looked a bit unused and with overgrown plants. If you dont like getting scratched by thorns or are alergic to insect bites, use long trousers.I did it in shorts and ended up with some bites and scratches, which I expected. There is a bar in Sorauren. If you have alrady done the camino Frances, I suggest you take the riverside walk to Pamplona from Trinidad de Arre. Don't cross the bridge when you reach the village, but continue straight. This path has more trees and shade, but is a bit longer.

In Pamploa, we found that trying to have lunch is a bit complicated without previos reservations (also, we arried at the peak time :14:00 h). But, we managed to find a restaurant after looking around for some time.
Thanks for your detailed reply, I'm reading it with uncontained excitement at the thought of the adventure to come! Definitely had issues with wrong shoes! Am obsessing about it as previously the shoes I have worn have been very comfortable whilst walking at home where the temperature is much lower but once the heat takes over on the Camino all bets are off! Each year I do learn new strategies, size up with shoes, toe socks, double sock, Vaseline, stock up on bandages and compeed etc will try the tape this year 👍 so grateful for all the advice on this forum which has alleviated any fears and helped me to be better prepared!
Was the route still very quiet? I've never done the Frances, apart from the last section from Sarria as my first Camino! I am hoping to reach Burgos in my 2 weeks and if I like it will return and finish it next year when my A/L allows more time.

Yes, the route was very quiet. First day, there were only three people walking and we met at Urdax in the evening. From the second day onwards, only two. We started together, but drifted off and met again at coffee stops or at the next albergue.
Forgot to mention: Venta de San Blas was open. Nice place to have a good coffee and tostadas before the last stretch of the walk up puerto de Belate.
The last part to Pamplona is up to you. The riverside walk is used by the locals for their daily walks and cycling. If the weather is too hot, I would suggest you go this way.
Enjoy the walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.