• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed race-Norte

hfox

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023- Norte
Hi all,
I’m leaving for the Norte this week, and I’ve seen a few concerning things about bed racing and availability of beds on the Norte. I’m planning to reserve a few places-zarautz, gernika, Bilbao-but for the most part, I’m trying to stay in albergues. I was just wondering what the climate is like right now: are there beds available, is it challenging to find a place? Thanks and buen camino 😃

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry that nobody replied yet.

I haven't walked the Norte, so I can't help much with detailed information. But I've been in some areas it passes through during high season (july, august) and it is probably very busy with lots of tourists, if it is still as I remember it.

Not all albergues are for pilgrims only, so in some places you have to compete for a bed with the tourists on beach vacation.

The Gronze website should include information which albergues are for pilgrims only and can't be booked, you might have more luck getting a bed in those than in the private ones that allow non-pilgrims, too.

In the popular tourist towns and cities it is probably a good idea to book a few days before, especially if there's no pilgrim -only accommodation or if you want a private room.

I hope someone with experience on the Norte or maybe even walking right now can give more valuable information.

Buen Camino!

On the Norte now - began in Irun June 12 and in Vallaviciosa now.
Did not have any problems with finding beds until two night ago out of Llanes . When a bunch of us got to Pinerus de Pria , we found both albergues full . Options were walking another 15 kilometers or opting for an expensive hotel . I went with the hotel, by the night we had quite a bunch of pilgrims!
Since then I have been booking or asking to reserve a room two or three days ahead .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can't help you but I watched the Tour de France last night, riding along the north coast of Spain. Beautiful scenery!
They are finished in Spain now, so that might lessen the crowds a bit.

Hi! I did the Camino del Norte in 2019, between July and August. Never had problems finding albergue, but every day I would book in advance for the day after. I remember that a lot of private albergues were shared with local tourists, in particular surfers. Try to avoid those, you won't get much of the Camino vibes there.

lot of private albergues were shared with local tourists,
Not just private albergues. We worked in a public albergue near Bilbao in August and a lot of people arrived waving nicely stamped credenciales but not looking much like your regular pilgrim, more like your regular backpacker. Unlike on the Francés, you are competing for space with holiday-makers. Once you get away from the coast it will be a lot easier, and more than likely you´ll find a pension or hostal somewhere in town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Awesome, thanks all for the information! I’m definitely hoping to stay in albergues as much as possible, the price and availability of pensiones is bit shocking 😳 I’m going to try and avoid staying in the big coastal cities as much as I can, but it seems like some places are unavoidable

Hi all,
I’m leaving for the Norte this week, and I’ve seen a few concerning things about bed racing and availability of beds on the Norte. I’m planning to reserve a few places-zarautz, gernika, Bilbao-but for the most part, I’m trying to stay in albergues. I was just wondering what the climate is like right now: are there beds available, is it challenging to find a place? Thanks and buen camino 😃
I’ve walked last year, and it was a bed race. The problem was that del Norte doesn’t have enough places for pilgrims, or they are way too expensive, unreasonably. It was nauseating to say the least. However, no choice but be positive. Couple of times portable bed was provided at the split second. But you know, it is all worth it❤️

Can't help you but I watched the Tour de France last night, riding along the north coast of Spain. Beautiful scenery!
They are finished in Spain now, so that might lessen the crowds a bit.

I was there end of May and saw a different bike race, such amazing rides I am sure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just come back from the Norte from Biarritz to Santiago with some diversions (22 days, 949km, 22,100 meters of ascent). No problems with finding beds. The only place I got a bit stuck was Zarautz where many places were full. I had to wander round a bit before I found a decent hotel for EUR 50 euros. I recall one Xunta albergue where there were only three of us and there were 36 beds so not an issue. Having said that to be on the safe side I would sometimes call ahead or book online in the morning or the afternoon of where I intended to stay but never in advance of that. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Hi all,
I walked the Norte August-September 2022. In the Basque besides pilgrims, you will find day hikers, and Europeans walking. Traffic thins after that until you get to the stage in Galicia where the route merges with the Francais. I stayed in pensions, so I can’t speak on bed racing. I want to caution you that IMO Markina Z has the least accommodations, so please research what an albergue capacity is there. The town is a bit off the beaten track. You are in for a wonderful time.

Hi all,
We are in Don Paco , Llanes at this precise moment.
we spoke to the manager of the Estation Albergue here in Llanes about our time there in previous years.
How we were exhausted one year , too long , and about not being able to book ahead in the years prior ( 2008___2013)

** His reply is that 80% of all pilgrims/ tourists/ walkers or whatever who stay in this nicely situated albergue …….Book Ahead .

You are passing through beautiful coastal areas , I’d book ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve walked last year, and it was a bed race. The problem was that del Norte doesn’t have enough places for pilgrims, or they are way too expensive, unreasonably. It was nauseating to say the least. However, no choice but be positive. Couple of times portable bed was provided at the split second. But you know, it is all worth it❤️
The places where I had a close call or missed out altogether were Deba and Markina-Xemein.

The places where I had a close call or missed out altogether were Deba and Markina-Xemein.
I smile as I write but I hope you close call was in Deba and the use of the
Elevator got you ahead of a few.🤫🤫

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I smile as I write but I hope you close call was in Deba and the use of the
Elevator got you ahead of a few.🤫🤫
I came in to Deba yesterday and couldn't help but feel that it's a bit unfair place for a bed race. That old roman road, getting to the elevator area, is no joke and no place to rush down. There was an older man in front of me going slowly. When he started that stretch he was alone. By the time he made it down there were like 5 pilgrims right behind him!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.