• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Bedbugs in Burgos

easydoesit

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino Frances April 29,2015
We began our Camino in saint Jean I week ago, overstressed the knee on day 2 , had to take rest days to heal. We decided to skip ahead to Burgos and walk on the flat for a while and today we went to the municipal alburgue, checked in and on the 3 rd floor there are bedbugs! All they would do is change the sheets so we got our money back and checked into a nice clean hotel, good luck everyone. Bueno Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I hope this doesn't mar your Burgos experience too much. I stayed in the El Cid with a cathedral view and it was a highlight of my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hotels can have bed bugs, too. If you happened to be the source of the Burgos bed bugs, you might have imported them yourself. Burgos actively treats for bed bugs, so future pilgrims should not worry too much. Assume that every accommodations has bed bugs, and act accordingly. You won't always see them.

No we did not transport them, believe me we are very aware of the little creatures and yes they can be on any fabric,even in book bindings ect and even if they treat these got missed. I would hope others would also tell others if they encountered them and this seems the perfect medium to accomplish that task.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was last September in SDC and also in September 2012 in Olvieroa. Last year was the night before my flight. I was then trying to sleep on a blood stained sheet with the light on getting paranoid by the slightest itch.

Flying for the airline it was Standard Operating Procedure to check the mattress seams and pillow and behind the headboard on the wall for the critters. We found them occasionally and the hotel was GLAD to know! Many times the welts and evidence doesn't come on for a day or two who you can never know for sure where you "got" them. We never lay out bags on the floor or furniture. None of us wanted to ever transport them to our homes between trips. Many Pilgrims carry a large garbage bag and put their backpack in it on the floor. I never had an issue either time on the Camino. I also pretreat my sleep sac, backpack etc with permethrin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was last September in SDC and also in September 2012 in Olvieroa. Last year was the night before my flight. I was then trying to sleep on a blood stained sheet with the light on getting paranoid by the slightest itch.
Optimist as always :D:D:D

We were at the albergue in the beginning of April and never had any problems. It is unfortunate because it is very nice and good location. We did see them the odd time on our 34 day journey and when we did, we just politely left the establishment. Hope you will be lucky never to have them again. Just check your bag well because my husband had one in his bag but never got any bites. It is hard to keep them under control because they travel with the pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did see them the odd time on our 34 day journey and when we did, we just politely left the establishment.
I hope you told someone why. Hospitaleros, etc aren't psychic so far as I can tell, and the best chance they have of getting the problem under control is to be informed that there is a problem.

No we just keep on going we are at the AC Marriott,a very nice hotel. Thanks

I stayed there too, very luxurious, I got the govt. employee rate, it was €97 for both nights, I couldn't get a Motel 6 for that price in the US.

I've been thinking about treating my bag this year. Have seen many sprays at "Canadian Tire" in the pest control section. Is that what I should be using?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have seen many sprays at "Canadian Tire" in the pest control section. Is that what I should be using?
That's what I used, somewhat reluctantly as the instructions do not include its use as bedbug "repellant" on clothes or bedding. That might be because there is no scientific evidence of its effectiveness as a deterrent, so they can't make the claim. I treated a homemade sheet (lighter weight than normal sheets) rather than my sleeping bag. Once dry, the odour was gone.

• I've been thinking about treating my bag this year. Have seen many sprays at "Canadian Tire" in the pest control section. Is that what I should be using?
  • 0593562_1

FEATURES
  • Pest control spray controls many destructive insects on flowers, ornamentals and vegetable crops outdoors, indoors and in greenhouses
  • Use up to the day before harvest - ideal for fast maturing crops such as lettuce, spinach and radishes
  • Contains a botanical insecticide derived from the Pyrethrin daisy
  • 1 L bottle
Here is what I found at Canadian Tire. It looks good to me and I may be getting some for myself.

@Albertagirl, this appears to be a product designed for application to plants, not to clothing. The MSDS specifically suggests to avoid getting it on clothing and to wash thoroughly after use. Others who have searched the Canadian Tyre product range have found a permethrin based product suitable for use on clothing and camping gear. They may be able to point you to those products, or you could contact the company and ask the sales staff.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Albertagirl, this appears to be a product designed for application to plants, not to clothing. The MSDS specifically suggests to avoid getting it on clothing and to wash thoroughly after use. Others who have searched the Canadian Tyre product range have found a permethrin based product suitable for use on clothing and camping gear. They may be able to point you to those products, or you could contact the company and ask the sales staff.
Thank you. I shall certainly look into it more closely before I purchase or use anything. I actually had the impression that permethrin was not permitted for use in Canada, but I see it on Amazon.ca, only four times the price of the Canadian Tire product and possibly with shipping and handling on top. I really dread bringing bedbugs home with me, so am trying to find a way to avoid it. Thanks again.

I really dread bringing bedbugs home with me, so am trying to find a way to avoid it.
This really needs a three part strategy:
  • treat your gear and clothing before you leave to minimise the risk of picking up bedbugs
  • being vigilant while you are away to avoid bedbugs, and telling the hospitaleros if you do detect them so they can do something about it, either for you or other pilgrims
  • on your return, treating your gear as if it had been infected, and not bringing it inside until you have done that.

Interesting that this is what C Clearly has used and perhaps should not have. I hope it will not be harmful. And shows how easily we can get in trouble playing with chemicals we do not know or understand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting that this is what C Clearly has used and perhaps should not have. I hope it will not be harmful. And shows how easily we can get in trouble playing with chemicals we do not know or understand.
No, I didn't use this specific product (that picture was posted after my reply), but another from Canadian Tire that was definitely not a product for use on plants. I very carefully read all the labels. It was suitable for indoors and on bedding to kill bedbugs, but it did not claim to be intended as a protective measure against bedbugs. I did not find anything that made that claim. I have not looked at what is in the stores this year.

My strategy is to emphasis simplicity in packing for easy decontamination, putting my pack in a large plastic bag in the albergue, isolating sleeping things from others until the day has passed and I haven't received any new bites, and use of heat before and after going home.

I swear by Permathrin, but understand if you can't get it in Canada then you cannot. We use it on my husbands farm pants and shirts and on our shoes and socks. others get ticks during a day in the grass/fields and we find VERY few if any. It lasts through 6 washings and I don't use really hot water so maybe a little longer. Love it.

• 0593562_1

FEATURES
  • Pest control spray controls many destructive insects on flowers, ornamentals and vegetable crops outdoors, indoors and in greenhouses
  • Use up to the day before harvest - ideal for fast maturing crops such as lettuce, spinach and radishes
  • Contains a botanical insecticide derived from the Pyrethrin daisy
  • 1 L bottle
Here is what I found at Canadian Tire. It looks good to me and I may be getting some for myself.
Hi fellow Canadian , if you live close to US go to Walmart sporting section and buy Permethrin that's what I did.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.