• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 3 week route for October?

Kazles

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Forumees,
Given last year's Oct bushfires, is there a route that would be preferable for mid October 2018?
This is my second Camino following a 2 week central CP/VDLP in 2016. I thought of the CF but don't want huge crowds - like Pitt Street as we say down here.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would recommend Portuguese from Lisbon, the central route. I walked last year in late Oct, weather was very pleasant, dry and sunny, there are albergues between Lisbon and Porto now, and excellent infrastructure from Porto onwards. Easy walking, no mountains to cross, could be done in runers, although some cobblestones. Beautiful nature, great food, the route is popular but not that busy at that time of the year. Lisbon to Porto usually takes 13 days, Porto to Santiago another 10. Could be faster depending on your level of fitness. You could start from Santarem/Tomar/Coimbra if you don;t feel like walking all the way or if pressed for time. After Coimbra the distances between towns are smaller, before Coimbra is almost 30km every day. Loved Camino in Portugal, miss it badly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll second the Salvador/ Primitivo. The weather should still be pretty good - but take local advice when necessary. But autumn/fall in those beautiful forests - and all those lovely edible mushrooms...

Thanks for all the advice - I don't like to rush and like to have a look around, so will factor that in. Am wondering were the awful bushfires an issue for anyone walking last year? Did you encounter them Surya? Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Am wondering were the awful bushfires an issue for anyone walking last year? Did you encounter them Surya? Thanks again.
Only in one place we saw the burnt land, but that was a short stretch. We didn't encounter any fires either.

I agree about Portugues route. I walked from Lisbon. But I would recommend starting around Tomar. The route out of Lisbon isn’t very inspiring. Also decide if you will do Central or coastal. I did Central and didn’t regret it. Wanted to do coastal but heard it was expensive. Others who I met in Santiago who just finished walking said it was about the same daily expenses as route from Lisbon to Porto. If you are tired of all the road walking when you get to Porto maybe you should head to the Coast. Buen Camino And one added attraction to Portugal. The people of
Portugal are fantastic, kind and always welcoming.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back