• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best App for the Camino?? What is you favorite?

Cjoncas

Time of past OR future Camino
2011, 2012, 2018 and 2019, planning for 2023!
Good day all,
I'm looking for the best App for iPhone 7 (camino guide actually) and am wondering what the members idea on that topics. Any answer will be more than welcome.
Any suggestion on a paper guide would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, I wonder if this can be found (still) in Canada.... I'll search for it!
I'll do the Camino Frances from Burgos Since we only have 3 weeks: I have use my 3 last Camino the Miam Miam dodo from STJPDP to Santiago in 2018, but since I'm bilingual, I don't mind an english guide, Miam Miam Dodo is good for albergues and place to eat but for historical part and things of interest on the Camino is less imteresting.

I like the Editorial Buen Camino app. The maps work offline, and it has the albergues, pensiones and hostales listed. The app is very well integrated and easy to use. Don't worry that the website is in Spanish - the app will be in the language of your choice.

Good day all,
I'm looking for the best App for iPhone 7 (camino guide actually) and am wondering what the members idea on that topics. Any answer will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

Found this news. Might be worth checking out.

It is now safer than ever to make your first camino along the Camino Francés. The newly created Asociación de Municipios del Camino de Santiagobrings together all 89 municipalities on the Camino Francés to better establish a protective and collaborative pilgrim network. They have created a new app, "App Camino" (available on Androidand iOS), which not only lists all services along the entire route, it will also route you back onto the Camino from wherever you are in case you get lost. There is also a reporting facility where users can post notices about inclement weather, damage to the trail or other incidences in real time, as well as an SOS facility, through which you can contact local emergency services at the click of a button.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good day all,

Thanks in advance!!!

It is now safer than ever to make your first camino along the Camino Francés. The newly created Asociación de Municipios del Camino de Santiagobrings together all 89 municipalities on the Camino Francés to better establish a protective and collaborative pilgrim network. They have created a new app, "App Camino" (available on Androidand iOS), which not only lists all services along the entire route, it will also route you back onto the Camino from wherever you are in case you get lost. There is also a reporting facility where users can post notices about inclement weather, damage to the trail or other incidences in real time, as well as an SOS facility, through which you can contact local emergency services at the click of a button.

Looks interesting, but I don't think that I want a digital credencial and sellos!Screenshot_20190410-074939_App Camino.jpg

I like the Editorial Buen Camino app. The maps work offline, and it has the albergues, pensiones and hostales listed. The app is very well integrated and easy to use. Don't worry that the website is in Spanish - the app will be in the language of your choice.

Thank you very much Trecile!!!!
Looks interesting, but I don't think that I want a digital credencial and sellos!View attachment 54718
Hi
Looks interesting, but I don't think that I want a digital credencial and sellos!View attachment 54718
Did you used it your self?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll do the Camino Frances from Burgos Since we only have 3 weeks: I have use my 3 last Camino the Miam Miam dodo from STJPDP to Santiago in 2018, but since I'm bilingual, I don't mind an english guide, Miam Miam Dodo is good for albergues and place to eat but for historical part and things of interest on the Camino is less imteresting.
For the historical part and things of interest, you can't do much better than "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David M. Gilitz and Linda Kay Davidson. It is available both as a paper book and an e-book (which takes no weight in your backpack). I've seen and used a number of excellent apps, but none even comes close for this sort of information.

Good day all,

Thanks in advance!!!
Rome2Rio is also a great little app. Not so much as your walking everyday but more for looking at transport options from any points along the way. Gives you a great heads up. Seat61.com is great for trains. Amazing detail. If your looking at weather check google for nearest Doppler radar. It’s the same as airports use. You can see rain coming. A few good weather apps also use this. They cost a bit but not much for say 90 days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
B309F468-F4FB-4EAB-8C60-CA4B93A3F021.pngI
I used this app last September and lived it. It has offline maps and users the phones built in gps even when not in wifi. It has multiple routes. And invaluable albergue info also. After 2 days I rarely pulled out my brierly book.

The Buen Camino app. It is blue with a yellow arrow. I was traveling with a 2 year old so booking a place was important. It gave all the albergues and the ability to call them (if they allowed) and had reviews.

You could also break up your route to see how far to go each day. One of my favorites is that it had a compass with the distance to your next predetermined location.

It has all the routes on it, but you have to purchase them separately. If I recall, the CF was only a couple bucks. Totally worth it.

I am doing the Primitivo in early May and haven´t downloaded an app. This morning I was thinking about the fact that I don´t have it and feeling like I needed to get with the game. And then I thought: Why? Why do I need an app. I have a list of places. I have read up. That´s what I did on the Frances. So, I decided I would intentionally not have an app. And just walk and experience and see what awaits me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good day all,

Thanks in advance!!!

Guthook
It’s not free but doesn’t cost much.
We’ve used it for local trails and it’s excellent. I’ve downloaded the full Camino Frances and can’t wait to get started.
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Agree. I’m using it for my first Camino in May (Coastal Portugués starting from Baiona). I feel confident using it for most of what I need.

Guide of the Way of St James by Buen camino
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guide-of-the-way-of-st-james/id858222947?mt=8

Downloaded but can’t figure out how to use in English. Any ideas?

Both Google maps and MAPS.ME will compute a track, distance and elevation along the Camino when you a starting and ending point for a day. You can download the maps ahead of time so you won’t require an internet signal out in the “wilderness”. If somehow you miss a Camino marker (you will) it will help you to wander along a parallel track. How lost can you get trekking 20 miles per day or less?
I rely primarily on the marked path but have the my predetermined cities in mind, setting reasonable goals. It’s worked on six-week down to two-week jaunts in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Be ready, but most concerns are unwarranted.
Burn Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Unfortunately Wise pilgrim is not offered on iPhone, my friends used it last year and loved it (they used Samsung) .
It is on iPhone but the name is now Wisely. I never had much luck with the previous versions on my android phoney.

I just tried this and it doesn't run on my Android phone. Possibly something to do with my older version of Android. Has anyone used it successfully?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Buen Camino app. It is blue with a yellow arrow. I was traveling with a 2 year old so booking a place was important. It gave all the albergues and the ability to call them (if they allowed) and had reviews.

You could also break up your route to see how far to go each day. One of my favorites is that it had a compass with the distance to your next predetermined location.

It has all the routes on it, but you have to purchase them separately. If I recall, the CF was only a couple bucks. Totally worth it.
Thank you very much!

This app has so many features. I was discovering new ones even after 3 weeks.

I used “wise pilgrim” in 2017. I used this daily for elevation, brief area details and direct connect to Booking.com. I will use it again if I am blessed with another Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have got / installed a few recently for iOS (iPhone and iPad). I make these notes without having had a chance to use either app on a Camino, its more just a comment on their usability / UI than content.

I wouldn't say that I love any particularly, but I'd put put Wisely + first, then Buen Camino.

Neither load the offline tiles particularly quickly, even on a quick iPad. There is a noticeable transition zooming in and out. Where in the Maps.me app it is not noticeable at all. (If the source code for either, or Camino Places, was available on Github I'd love to have a look at it (I'd gladly do it for free), even if my Swift/Objective-C is a little rusty)

Wisely +

Moving around in the Wisely + feels the most natural, and using swipe to reveal the top level menu*. On the BC app to get back to the top level menu you have to navigate back from whatever page your on and then use the menu button. On the iPad I hate that Wisely+ only works in Portrait orientation.

Its great you can download the map for offline use BUT (and this applies to the Camino Places app too) when you later go into the page there is no indicator of whether you've already downloaded the data or not. Ideally rather than their being both Download and Delete buttons there should only be one. If data not downloaded, then it says Download. If data is downloaded, then it says Delete. I dislike that it stores a mixture of level tiles so you are sometimes having to zoom out to get all the route. I'd rather give up the space for more tiles.

Info looks useful, a little depth without being overwhelming. I like it has no stages, just places. I like that there is the option to comment on places & accomidation. I like the map line / points of interest.

* There is inconsistency with swiping SOMETIMES it works to take you back to the previous page (say your on the details of a town, swiping sometimes takes you back to the list of all towns ... other times it makes the menu appear)

There are a couple of visual oddities / bugs that I need to report once I find the dev's email address. Looks like a problem with the view stack. I have a video to share.

Buen Camino, Xunta Camino Santiago , Camino Assist pilgrim Santiago, Simply Camino, Way of Saint James (Camino..)

For those who are trying to use the new app from Associacion Municipios del Camino, I do speak castellano and have had very little luck with this app on my Iphone. Establishing an account and logging on was nearly impossible for me, it took multiple attempts. Wisely+ and Editorial Buen Camino are both excellent, well functioning apps with different ways of presenting information. I have and use both on the Camino.

You could also break up your route to see how far to go each day. One of my favorites is that it had a compass with the distance to your next predetermined location
Last month I used this one. And the best part is that all maps work offline. I like it very much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those who are trying to use the new app from Associacion Municipios del Camino, I do speak castellano and have had very little luck with this app on my Iphone. Establishing an account and logging on was nearly impossible for me, it took multiple attempts. Wisely+ and Editorial Buen Camino are both excellent, well functioning apps with different ways of presenting information. I have and use both on the Camino.
Thank you very much

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back