• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Better vibe starting in Morgade vs Barbadelo?

Pattie Strub

Greetings,
My first camino will be the last 100KM June 2017 with my hubby and 3 teenage sons in honor of our 25th wedding anniversary.
I was wondering if there is a difference, in terms of night before vide, between starting in Morgade vs Barbadelo?
Will there perhaps be more community for first timers in Barbadelo since it is a larger town and more people start there?
Or does it not make a difference?

Feeling a bit wimpy doing only the last 100KM, but look forward to getting a taste of the camino and coming back another time to start in SJPP.

Thank you.
Patricia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Feeling a bit wimpy doing only the last 100KM
Hi Pattie, welcome and happy anniversary in advance. I can't tell you about the towns, since I joined the Frances at Melide, but you should not at all feel even a bit wimpy. I think the majority who walk start in Sarria, and this can be the start of a life-long addiction. Besides, anyone who has raised three teenage sons is never, ever wimpy.
Buen Camino

How do you plan on getting to Morgade?
You will need reservations if you plan on sleeping there.
The only thing I know of at Morgade is the farmhouse, Casa rural and restaurant.
Barbadelo is also tiny.
Why not start in Sarria??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The only thing I know of at Morgade is the farmhouse, Casa rural and restaurant.
Barbadelo is also tiny.
=====================
Thank you so much for your reply.

We'll be taking a private shuttle from La Coruña airport to Morgade, and would stay at Casa Morgade. Starting at Morgade shaves off 12.3KM, which for our group is practically a day of walking, and I want to save an extra day to go scuba diving with the family in Portonovo outside of Santiago.

When I said Barbadelo is bigger, I meant to say Casa Barbadelo is a bigger pension than Casa Morgade, so I thought there might be a better vibe there of people starting the camino there.

Are you saying that there is more/better pre-camino vibe starting in Sarria? I could try to squeeze out some time some other way if this the case.

]Hi Pattie, welcome and happy anniversary in advance. I can't tell you about the towns, since I joined the Frances at Melide, but you should not at all feel even a bit wimpy. I think the majority who walk start in Sarria, and this can be the start of a life-long addiction. Besides, anyone who has raised three teenage sons is never, ever wimpy.
Buen Camino
=============================
Thank you for your kind words.

Lots and lots of people start in Sarria. So if you want to be with other people starting, that's where I'd start. We stayed in Morgade and loved it, but one of the reasons was to intentionally be "off-stage" after Sarria to have a quieter Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you look for vibe like in big happy, existed crowds, start in Sarria, but even in tiny places like Barbadelo und Morgade you will meet plenty of fellow pilgrims in June. Buen Camino, SY

Well its your decision - I rode through Sarria (it gave me bad vibes ) and stayed at Casa de Carmen (at the far end of Barbadello) but Casa Barbadelo was also a good looking albergue. If you are looking to qualify for your Compostela then you are really cutting it fine - 102 or 103 km to SDC (by my estimates). Still as we always say - this is your Camino - start it wherever you think you can manage - physically or time limits etc. Cheers

My wife and I stayed at Casa Morgade this year. If you already have reservations, I would suggest you keep them and start there. And while I don't think you are likely to find anyone else starting there, I expect there will be a mix of others who will more than welcome you. Some might have started that day in Sarria. or there might be others who have walked further.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Casa Morgade is in a minuscule place, almost a hamlet. Not much to do, although it is in a beautiful Galician landscape.
Generally, everybody is in a good mood, and disposed to share and talk. But you never know, it is quite random. Crowds in June does not favor strong personal links, people are always changing along the road. But you will be fine. Young people, especially, seem to find friends easily and form merry groups almost immediately.
I am curious about your insistence in a community of "first timers". You will probably notice some long distance walkers; they are quieter and they will show the wear and tear of many weeks. Many will be in their second or third Camino. Talk to them, you can find it interesting, especially if you intend to come back later for a longer journey.

Last edited:
As others have said, most who want the compostela start at Sarria to insure qualifying. Since you have teenagers and this would be the first night, consider Barbadelos. The larger albergue has a swimming pool, which might be a good diversion for the kids. More people for you all to meet. Casa del Carmen houses fewer pilgrims but has a lovely hill to relax atop and dinner was good. I passed through Morgade, but I would have enjoyed its solitude and intimacy.

I remember Casa Morgade! A few tables outside so close to the road you can touch the cows as they walk by. Inside a very large dining room in the back and a menu better than your typical pilgrim fare.

If looking for a "vibe" not sure any of the two places will do it, as few people will be staying at either, opting for good old Sarrria, but you may have a better chance at conversation with the few people staying at either of these places than in Sarria. More personal perhaps.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Whether you begin at Morgade or Barbadelo do stop for a drink or a meal further west just past Ferreios. Down the hill next to the church and cemetery the simple restaurant O Mirallos is a local favorite! Their delicious food with kind service is hard to beat. They are open every day, serve breakfast from 07:00 and have a small dorm for those in need...Don't miss it!

Last edited:
I don't know that this applies (having not walked this part) but in my experience on other routes the smaller, more intimate places to stay made it easier to meet and talk to new people, so I think your plan of starting in a smaller place rather than Sarria may work to your advantage. As others said, it's unlikely that others are starting there (as it is less expensive to start in Sarria) but wherever they started, you will all be in the same place that night. In Zariquiegui there were people who started in Lourdes, SJPdP, and Roncesvalles at dinner, and similarly all along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is (was?) a marker stone just meters after stepping out Morgade's door to head west - I forget the exact km it marks - it may be 99.5 - just a precaution - can someone clarify for these lovely folks!
Happy anniversary & Buen Camino from Nájera, on the Camino

There is (was?) a marker stone just meters after stepping out Morgade's door to head west - I forget the exact km it marks - it may be 99.5 - just a precaution - can someone clarify for these lovely folks!
You are correct, but I understand that when they remeasured the current route, Morgade is now a little over 100km from the cathedral. It might pay to check with the pilgrim office to see if they recognize the newer distances.

ps I am assuming the measures are to the cathedral, but I admit that this isn't clear, and I don't know how one might clarify that other than checking to see if the Pilgrim Office will issue a compostela to pilgrims starting at Morgade.

especially since it will be close...according to my CSJ guide it is 115 km from Sarria to SdC, 7km from sarria to barbadelo, and 14.5 km from Sarria to Morgade (putting it just one half km over the required 100)...but the real question would be what does the office in SdC consider the distance to be

I don't know about the distances, and I don't know what the vibes will be from the other walkers, but I can tell you that the family who runs the casa rural in Morgade is absolutely delightful. I stayed there in 2000, when it had just opened. At that point it had a six room Albergue, and a small café for drinks. The woman who owned the place made the five of us dinner downstairs. She told us a lot about her life story, a young woman from the big city of Bilbao who fell in love with a farmer from Morgade. To the disbelief of her urban family, she picked up and moved to the farm. She told me she had never regretted it, and had become quite an expert at doing things like making chorizo and sausage, helping out with the livestock, etc. And a little Albergue kept her busy as well.

Fast forward 15 years, and I once again passed by Casa Morgade, this time just for a drink. I asked the young man serving me whether the woman from Bilbao was still involved in what had expanded to a huge restaurant and rural hotel. He took me into the kitchen, and there she was, still working, still smiling, still loving it. She was now being helped by two more generations of family members. Though she didn't remember me, we sat and talked for a while and she reflected on how her life changed all those years ago when she left Bilbao as a young girl in love with a farmer. She was obviously, and justifiably, very proud of the business she and her family had built.In my opinion, the Casa Morgade is an absolutely great place to stop. Good quality, honest business people, and very good treatment. They deserve all of the business they get.

So often, people who devote themselves to serving pilgrims get burned out and resentful as the years go by. Not this very special family.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Pattie, welcome and happy anniversary in advance. I can't tell you about the towns, since I joined the Frances at Melide, but you should not at all feel even a bit wimpy. I think the majority who walk start in Sarria, and this can be the start of a life-long addiction. Besides, anyone who has raised three teenage sons is never, ever wimpy.
Buen Camino
Thank you for your kind words.

Barbadelo is also tiny.

We'll be taking a private shuttle from La Coruña airport to Morgade, and would stay at Casa Morgade. Starting at Morgade shaves off 12.3KM, which for our group is practically a day of walking, and I want to save an extra day to go scuba diving with the family in Portonovo outside of Santiago.

When I said Barbadelo is bigger, I meant to say Casa Barbadelo is a bigger pension than Casa Morgade, so I thought there might be a better vibe there of people starting the camino there.

Are you saying that there is more/better pre-camino vibe starting in Sarria? I could try to squeeze out some time some other way if this the case.

Lots and lots of people start in Sarria. So if you want to be with other people starting, that's where I'd start. We stayed in Morgade and loved it, but one of the reasons was to intentionally be "off-stage" after Sarria to have a quieter Camino.
I guess what I am looking for is the ability to connect and have conversations with others, no matter where they are on their journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well its your decision - I rode through Sarria (it gave me bad vibes ) and stayed at Casa de Carmen (at the far end of Barbadello) but Casa Barbadelo was also a good looking albergue. If you are looking to qualify for your Compostela then you are really cutting it fine - 102 or 103 km to SDC (by my estimates). Still as we always say - this is your Camino - start it wherever you think you can manage - physically or time limits etc. Cheers
Thank you so much for your reply, especially the "this is your Camino". I guess there is no one right or wrong way, so I will stop pursuing that ideal :)

I don't know about the distances, and I don't know what the vibes will be from the other walkers, but I can tell you that the family who runs the casa rural in Morgade is absolutely delightful. I stayed there in 2000, when it had just opened. At that point it had a six room Albergue, and a small café for drinks. The woman who owned the place made the five of us dinner downstairs. She told us a lot about her life story, a young woman from the big city of Bilbao who fell in love with a farmer from Morgade. To the disbelief of her urban family, she picked up and moved to the farm. She told me she had never regretted it, and had become quite an expert at doing things like making chorizo and sausage, helping out with the livestock, etc. And a little Albergue kept her busy as well.

Fast forward 15 years, and I once again passed by Casa Morgade, this time just for a drink. I asked the young man serving me whether the woman from Bilbao was still involved in what had expanded to a huge restaurant and rural hotel. He took me into the kitchen, and there she was, still working, still smiling, still loving it. She was now being helped by two more generations of family members. Though she didn't remember me, we sat and talked for a while and she reflected on how her life changed all those years ago when she left Bilbao as a young girl in love with a farmer. She was obviously, and justifiably, very proud of the business she and her family had built.In my opinion, the Casa Morgade is an absolutely great place to stop. Good quality, honest business people, and very good treatment. They deserve all of the business they get.

So often, people who devote themselves to serving pilgrims get burned out and resentful as the years go by. Not this very special family.
Thank you so much for sharing this great story.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I stayed at Casa Morgade this year. If you already have reservations, I would suggest you keep them and start there. And while I don't think you are likely to find anyone else starting there, I expect there will be a mix of others who will more than welcome you. Some might have started that day in Sarria. or there might be others who have walked further.
Thank you for sharing this info, Doug.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Much appreciated.

Perhaps @JohnnieWalker or @t2andreo can answer that? Buen Camino, SY
I got this confirmation today from the Pilgrim Office this morning:
From: Oficina del Peregrino <oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es>
Date: October 13, 2016 7:43:01 AM
To: pstrub@me.com
Subject: RE: Formulario recibido en la web oficinadelperegrino.com

Good afternoon
We confirm that Casa Morgade will be aceptable for take the Compostela.
Best regards
Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino
S.A.M.I.Catedral de Santiago
Tel.: 981 568 846
oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es
http://www.peregrinossantiago.es

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Pattie Strub [mailto:info@oficinadelperegrino.com]
Enviado el: jueves, 13 de octubre de 2016 4:49
Para: oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es
Asunto: Formulario recibido en la web oficinadelperegrino.com

Cuerpo del Mensaje:
Greetings,
I am walking the last 100KM of the Camino Frances next year, and wanted verify if Casa Morgade is a good place to start my walking.

The website says they are located:
En pleno Camino de Santiago, situada en el Km 101,996 entre Sarria y Portomarín.

Can you confirm if Casa Morgade will be an acceptable starting point to get the Compostela certificate?

Thank you.
Patricia Strub

You are correct, but I understand that when they remeasured the current route, Morgade is now a little over 100km from the cathedral. It might pay to check with the pilgrim office to see if they recognize the newer distances.

ps I am assuming the measures are to the cathedral, but I admit that this isn't clear, and I don't know how one might clarify that other than checking to see if the Pilgrim Office will issue a compostela to pilgrims starting at Morgade.

Yes, I got an email today from the Pilgrim's Office that Casa de Morgade is a valid starting point to get the Compostela.

Thank you. Yes, I got an email this morning from the Pilgrim's office confirming Morgade as being a valid starting point to get the Compostela. But we might walk back to the bar 3 km to the east and officially start there, just to make sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Casa Morgade is in a minuscule place, almost a hamlet. Not much to do, although it is in a beautiful Galician landscape.
Generally, everybody is in a good mood, and disposed to share and talk. But you never know, it is quite random. Crowds in June does not favor strong personal links, people are always changing along the road. But you will be fine. Young people, especially, seem to find friends easily and form merry groups almost immediately.
I am curious about your insistence in a community of "first timers". You will probably notice some long distance walkers; they are quieter and they will show the wear and tear of many weeks. Many will be in their second or third Camino. Talk to them, you can find it interesting, especially if you intend to come back later for a longer journey.
Good p0int. It makes no difference whether or not the fellow travelers are first timers on the last 100KM or long distance walkers. I am just looking to be able to connect with other people on their journey. Meeting people is always a highlight of my travels, and to that end I speak several languages.

As for the distance, the webpage of Casa Morgade states that they are in km 101,996, so it is "Compostela safe".
I just have have had an epiphany: opening an albergue at km 100.001 from Compostela good be a superb business!
Felipe, you are too funny! Thank you for your input. But now I am feeling lazy. Just kidding. I take your comment in jest as it was intended. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, pilgrim's office has confirmed via email. My apologies if I have replied to your message multiple times, I am new to this forum and still trying to figure out how it works.

As others have said, most who want the compostela start at Sarria to insure qualifying. Since you have teenagers and this would be the first night, consider Barbadelos. The larger albergue has a swimming pool, which might be a good diversion for the kids. More people for you all to meet. Casa del Carmen houses fewer pilgrims but has a lovely hill to relax atop and dinner was good. I passed through Morgade, but I would have enjoyed its solitude and intimacy.
Good point about the swimming pool, thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Believe me - in June you will meet lots and lots of people in Galicia, no matter where you start! Buen Camino, SY

Whether you begin at Morgade or Barbadelo do stop for a drink or a meal further west just past Ferreios. Down the hill next to the church and cemetery the simple restaurant O Mirallos is a local favorite! Their delicious simple food with kind service is hard to beat. They are open every day, serve breakfast from 07:00 and have a small dorm for those in need...Don't miss it!
Wow, thank you so much for this great tip! I will definately do this!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
opening an albergue at km 100.001 from Compostela
Ferreiros is pretty close to that. The marker in front of the restaurant has 100.746, one in the intersection is slightly different. Ferreiros was my starting point, and it was no problem at the Pilgrim Office. The 100km marker is on the left about .746km after Ferreiros...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
or a snack stand exactly at 100 km, with a cool sello.

What about a food stand with bespoken bocadillos? Choice of bread (whole meal/grain included), choice of main ingredient and free condiments like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pickles and/or sprinkles of health stuff like crushed sesame seed? Que aprovecho y Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most people start in Sarria because it is relatively easy to get there by bus or train. There is only limited bus service between Sarria and Portomarin. I can't figure out if it stops at places like Morgade or Barbadelo, even though it seems likely. Situation might change; last year there was no website for EPsa so with more information more people might shave that 15km off.

Empresa Portomarin
http://sarria.es/pdf/c_portomarin.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a food stand with bespoken bocadillos? Choice of bread (whole meal/grain included), choice of main ingredient and free condiments like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pickles and/or sprinkles of health stuff like crushed sesame seed? Que aprovecho y Buen Camino, SY
and pulpo...it's ok, I will eat anything we don't sell;)

Pattie,
My husband and I stayed at Casa Morgade and it was lovely. We took a tiny private room which looked out over the countryside and some of the neighborhood cattle. There were plenty of people to meet and there is a "sitting room" inside off the dining room as well as a back terrace. The man who I assume is the manager (owner?) helped us call ahead for the next night's stay. He was quite funny and had a good sense of humor. Food was hearty and plentiful and it is a popular stop for something cold to drink or something to eat.
Janet

Thank you so much for your reply, especially the "this is your Camino". I guess there is no one right or wrong way, so I will stop pursuing that ideal :)
My thoughts - go where your soul feels drawn to. It's not so much an intellectual decision, but a sense of what feels right for your first day, and the days after that. Trust that somehow the universe will put you in the right place, with the right people, even if it is not the experience you had hoped or planned for.

I see.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I've stayed at Casa Morgade and like Laurie, give it an excellent review. I just wanted to be sure you knew you will need a reservation. It is not a large place.

As far as connecting I think you will be happy starting there as it is a popular stopping place. If you have young people you might enjoy Barbadelo more.

Do what makes your heart happy. ❤️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most people start in Sarria because it is relatively easy to get there by bus or train. There is only limited bus service between Sarria and Portomarin. I can't figure out if it stops at places like Morgade or Barbadelo, even though it seems likely. Situation might change; last year there was no website for EPsa so with more information more people might shave that 15km off.

Empresa Portomarin
http://sarria.es/pdf/c_portomarin.pdf
Thank you so much for this info!

I stayed at Casa Morgade last night - for the 3rd time. It is one of the most wonderful places on the Camino!
It's homey, great food, a wood stove in the "living room" - Barbadelo, not quite so much. The latter IS larger - and tho' friendly, good service, good food, it just doesn't have the homey touch the smaller Casa Morgade has. I've stayed at Barbadelo too, but only once. It's up to you depending on your tastes.
Buen Camino!

A question for those of you who have been there recently--does Morgade still have albergue rooms? I have a vague recollection that in the very early days before the hotel, it had two rooms with bunks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year we stayed in a room that had six beds, not bunks, with other pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back