• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Birthdays and Anniversaries

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
I'm sure that many people will have celebrated Birthdays and Anniversaries while walking their Caminos. Anyone care to share their experiences?
Buen Camino
Allan

Just a reminder to those who post on this topic to be vague about the actual date of their birthday as date of birth is often used in security questions.
William

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

I walked the CF in May/June 2011 and on the day of the final stretch to Finisterre I celebrated my birthday. On the previous night I mentioned it to a fellow pilgrim I met on and off on the way while having dinner and wine with other pilgirms. The next day I was walking deep in thought, my head bent down in a slight drizzle when I saw the message written with rocks "Happy Bday Petra" I was so touched! Later that evening, sitting at the lighthouse I said a huge thank you to all people who made my camino extra special!

Attachments

• camino14.jpg
    camino14.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 691
I too will be looking forward to responses on this topic. In May 2014 I plan to celebrate my 65th birthday on the Camino Frances. I have been trying to figure out approximately where I might plan a rest day to treat myself. I am planning to begin on the Aragonese and then walk much (or perhaps all) of the Francis.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gailsie you have hit the nail on the head. I too am thinking about whether to have my 65th in May 2014 before starting the Frances or during it!
Allan

Hi Al, my birthday is early May and I hear that the Camino Frances is busy in May (I walked in Sept/Oct 09) and also I am dealing with the May 1st holiday. Having a great time planning and considering my options. I may leave here in mid April and fly to Paris and take the train to Lourdes as I have wanted to go there for years. Then I could start the Aragonese at Somport (if there is no snow in the pass) or at Canfranc. Anyway I have lots of time for planning and this forum is so wonderful for ideas and information.

Mine is the 20th. It falls in the timescale I would prefer to walk the Frances (May/June). I know many people have many views on what they prefer - this is only my preference. But even so I am not sure whether to go after that. That is why I am asking people to kindly share their experiences.
allan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm starting my Camino from SJPP on in May 2013, my 31st birthday.

Reposting William's warning:

Just a reminder to those who post on this topic to be vague about the actual date of their birthday as date of birth is often used in security questions.
William

I suppose it depends on whether and how you usually celebrate birthdays. We're not big on celebrations so, much as I love my family, I can't think of anywhere better than the Camino to celebrate my birthday - particularly a "special" one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with Julie on all counts - love my family but...

I have spent my last three birthdays on the Camino and on each ocassion it has been special. The first was spent in Sahagún and I invited a fellow pelegrina out for a drink. When the café owner heard that it was my birthday she gave us two tapas and placed 1 candle on each: a 5 and a 4. How thoughtful! I actually saw her again this summer and told her how much I appreciated that gesture.

In 2011 I was in Fuente de Cantos on the VdlP and treated my walking buddy and another Spanish couple to a glass of wine - a mere 4 euros!

This summer I was hospitalera in Grañón and the whole day was a fiesta! My fellow hospitaleros, Jesús, the priest, the town bakers and all the pelegrinos made it a day I will never forget. Have you ever been sung to in Spanish, French, English, Italian, Swedish and Polish?

Do it!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.