• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots & Socks

Emily C

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy en Velay - Moissac, July 2015
Camino Frances, May 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm heading out for the CF last week of May, and I have a couple of questions regarding the - in my opinion - most important issue: Footwear and socks!

As far as I'm concerned, these SmartWool PhD Outdoor should be the best on the market right now, but I can't decide between the light crew:

http://www.smartwool.com/shop/women...oor-light-crew-socks-sw001311?variationId=236

and the medium crew:

http://www.smartwool.com/shop/women...or-medium-crew-socks-sw001064?variationId=052

Would light crew be enough?

And for boots I'm thinking of these Hanwag Lhasa Wide:

http://www.hanwag.com/lhasa-wide-lady

I want a solid pair of "all-round" boots that can be used for heavier terrain as well (fx the Le Puy route that I walked two years ago), but will they be too much for the CF? I'll aim for a maximum of 10 kilos on my back.

I know it's very individual, but it would be a tremendous help to hear your opinions on these matters.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Emily

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've used the PhD light on over 8,000 miles of hiking and backpacking use, (I don't use a "liner" or second sock). They are TERRIFIC!!!! As to footwear, I use trail runners or trail shoes..... for trail shoes my personal preference (again, it's my preference, not a universal recommendation) are Oboz Sawtooth in wide width. For trail runners, I use New Balance Leadville in extra wide width. Blisters are a rare issue for me in this style of footwear.

Also, I suggest reading the link below.
http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the PhD light on over 8,000 miles of hiking and backpacking use, (I don't use a "liner" or second sock). They are TERRIFIC!!!! As to footwear, I use trail runners or trail shoes..... for trail shoes my personal preference (again, it's my preference, not a universal recommendation) are Oboz Sawtooth in wide width. For trail runners, I use New Balance Leadville in extra wide width. Blisters are a rare issue for me in this style of footwear.

I just bought the Sawtooth's for my upcoming trip last night and I am just gushing about them! Like walking on a cloud.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just bought the Sawtooth's for my upcoming trip last night and I am just gushing about them! Like walking on a cloud.
One thing I really appreciated about the Oboz was the fact that they are one of the few trail shoe companies that provides a decent insole with the shoe/boot. A lot of the manufacturers now just slap in a cheap, unsupportive insole which is why the third-party insole companies have grown by leaps and bounds :)

One thing I really appreciated about the Oboz was the fact that they are one of the few trail shoe companies that provides a decent insole with the shoe/boot. A lot of the manufacturers now just slap in a cheap, unsupportive insole which is why the third-party insole companies have grown by leaps and bounds :)

I take them out for my own orthotics. But the sole is very soft and squishy and I like the natural rocking motion. I tried a few Oboz, as I love the general feel, until I landed on the perfect ones.

I take them out for my own orthotics. But the sole is very soft and squishy and I like the natural rocking motion. I tried a few Oboz, as I love the general feel, until I landed on the perfect ones.
Yup..... needing to use orthotics is a must when dealing with specialized foot needs. I use metatarsal pads that stick to the underside of the Oboz insole to deal with mild forefoot aches, but I'm OK other than that. I'm thankful for the simple fixes :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I agree with Dave. I have walked and backpacked thousands of miles with PhD light and trail runner shoes. They are a perfect combination for me though I use Saucony Peregrine shoes.

Mike

I think boots are such an individual thing.
For heavy duty treks I wear: Teva Riva Peak mid - wide toe but fit at heel etc and comfy.
https://au.teva.com/product/womens-riva-peak-mid-event

For walking I wear: Salomon Ellipse 2 ltr - lightweight, wide toe but fit at heel etc and comfy.
http://www.salomon.com/us/product/ellipse-2-ltr-w.html?article=379199

While trying them on if you don't say to yourself "these are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn" then don't buy them.
I always put an arch support sole in all my shoes.

I wear smart wool medium crew because I like the extra padding, I wear them at home as I like to be warm, I can wear them trekking through rivers and they still perform.

Last edited:
Hi
I would recommend that you simply try the boots and socks you will own already on a "dummy-March": a long weekend at your home area.
I did this in preparation of my first camino. Full backpack with some big water bottles in it for the weight and a 20kilometer march.
At the end of the weekend you will know that your selection is good.
Everyones foot is different from other people and some shoes might fit you perfectly as they are a horror to wear for others.
Just try your existing kit. You will know that you can walk with it before you start.

Personally I use Berghaus shoes since 2013 I have now the second generation of Explorer Trek Plus GTX boots (I feel that the 2013 model was better than my 2016 model). I had hardly any blisters and walked since 2013 roughly 6000km in them [third pair now]. With regards to socks, I feel that I have less blisters and problems in thin ones. I use ones like "1000 miles liner socks". Good price, very thin, dry quickly and on my feet less blisters as with thick socks or "technical" socks.
This served me well on two and a half Caminos and long distance trails as the Cleveland Way, Hadrians Wall path and others.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Which ever socks you choose, which ever boots, a good hint to avoid blisters, infections, fungi and other feet problems is to change your socks at the lunch break. Remove your boots, a few minutes of fresh air for both boots and feet, dry either as needed and fresh socks will solve many common complaints. Do release the insoles at the albergue in the evening, again fresh air and a chance to dry overnight will do wonders.

Thank you so much everyone! It means a lot. I don't think I have the guts to go with hiking shoes yet (over the Pyrenees, especially), but maybe next time. Will stick with the socks and your advice!

All the best,

Emily

Thank you so much everyone! It means a lot. I don't think I have the guts to go with hiking shoes yet (over the Pyrenees, especially), but maybe next time. Will stick with the socks and your advice!

All the best,

Emily

What is your primary worry about using hiking shoes or trail shoes, Emily?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

All the best,

Emily
There is nothing about the trail through the Pyrenees that requires a boot. Quite a bit of it is a road.

There is nothing about the trail through the Pyrenees that requires a boot. Quite a bit of it is a road.

It might require TWO boots, though, unless you are walking with one foot. Or maybe a gentle boot in the backside, just to get over the last ridge..?
(sorry. It's getting late...)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It might require TWO boots, though, unless you are walking with one foot. Or maybe a gentle boot in the backside, just to get over the last ridge..?
(sorry. It's getting late...)

Hahaha!! You have a point there ;-)
I guess that I will need the ankle support - that's why. And it's also great to have some boots that can handle more difficult terrain.

Most read last week in this forum

I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
We often read that Merino clothing does not smell as much with use, compared to other fabrics. Since my first Camino 9 years ago, I have always worn very lightweight (120 gsm) Merino shirts (by...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
Hi all ... I have known for years that Goretex doesn't breathe when it is high humidity (or raining) .. noted because of how damp I would always become inside, as my sweat vapour turned back to...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
We fly out in 4 days. I’ve tried major branded socks, three brands, and can’t wear wool. It feels hot and makes my feet hurt for three or four days after. Walking in cotton blend toe socks.. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.