• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budget considerations for 2022

CndR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug/Sept 2022;
Resume May 2023
I am doing the Camino Frances in Aug - Sept 2022, (my first) and trying to come up an idea for the budgeting of the trip.
In my earlier research, (pre covid), most vlogs, blogs etc. reflected very low costs of lodging, ex: 8 - 15 Euros. Just a preliminary search for costs of albergues for late summer/early fall in 2022 show much higher costs for a bed. 😬

Does there seem to be the thought we may not have the experience of low lodging costs for pilgrims in 2022 as in previous years. I figured there may be an increase due to the hardships of Albergues, etc experienced during Covid and am okay with that. However, what I have seen so far has been a huge increase!

I appreciate any insight and first hand knowledge ... thank you.
Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am doing the Camino Frances in Aug - Sept 2022, (my first) and trying to come up an idea for the budgeting of the trip.
In my earlier research, (pre covid), most vlogs, blogs etc. reflected very low costs of lodging, ex: 8 - 15 Euros. Just a preliminary search for costs of albergues for late summer/early fall in 2022 show much higher costs for a bed. 😬

Does there seem to be the thought we may not have the experience of low lodging costs for pilgrims in 2022 as in previous years. I figured there may be an increase due to the hardships of Albergues, etc experienced during Covid and am okay with that. However, what I have seen so far has been a huge increase!

I appreciate any insight and first hand knowledge ... thank you.
Cindy
If you plan to book into private rooms as many did this last year due to Covid fears, the answer is yes. Albergues with shared bunk rooms were €10 to €15 euros per night with additional for breakfast or meals on the meseta last fall.

If you plan to book into private rooms as many did this last year due to Covid fears, the answer is yes. Albergues with shared bunk rooms were €10 to €15 euros per night with additional for breakfast or meals on the meseta last fall.
Hi J Willhaus,
I am hoping to do the shared bunk bed rooms ... so happy to hear they will still be a "good" price. Thank you for your help and information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
trying to come up an idea for the budgeting of the trip

Hi, the municipal albergues are still showing between 6 and 8 euros per night for a bed on Gronze https://www.gronze.com/, so it looks as though you can still walk on a budget.

Buen camino!

We were also notified that many donativos that staff with volunteers expect to be open again. I saw the list of courses worldwide for hospitalero training that has been on hold the past two seasons. Donativo does not mean free, but they are generally simple, clean, and welcoming places. Your donation keeps the lights on for future pilgrims.

Hi, the municipal albergues are still showing between 6 and 8 euros per night for a bed on Gronze https://www.gronze.com/, so it looks as though you can still walk on a budget.

Buen camino!
Gronze was not completely up to date last fall. Some places were a bit more than listed. Hope they will be by next year though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although I love the Gronze website for its extensive information, find that the prices mentioned are often lower that what is charged, whether is through a boooking site or directly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Although I love the Gronze website for its extensive information, find that the prices mentioned are often lower that what is charged, whether is through a boooking site or directly
But municipal albergues are still your cheapest option 🙂

Compared to pretty much anything else in Europe the Frances offers a truly ‘budget’ opportunity. That’s as true now as it was three years ago, although the comparatives have increased.

I’ve just scoped out private rooms for ten nights in May - I did my fair share of bunk beds at school and in the army - and I’d say the average is circa +20% to 2019, so not negligible.

Included in that there may be a little clawback of two awful years, but also the inescapable reality of things such as energy pricing.

I suppose that some of the marginal providers of accommodation may have been taken out of the market also - if they were depressing the price unnecessarily then their absence may account for a change.

In summary - still cheap. Get on with it because it’ll be more expensive next year.

I read the Spanish news in Galicia daily and they are experiencing a lot of inflation so I would budget a bit more for meals or food this year.
Good to know ... thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While a 33% price increase sounds dramatic, it’s less exciting when you consider that’s a price increase from 6€ to 8€ for a clean room, bed, and a shower. In short: a Camino is still inexpensive and always worth your time.

I read the Spanish news in Galicia daily and they are experiencing a lot of inflation so I would budget a bit more for meals or food this year.

There is inflation everywhere. I live in Mexico and it is amazing how much prices in grocery stores and markets have gone up in the last year.
I walked the VDLP last October-December and albergue prices (when they were open) were not much higher if at all than previous caminos. The thing that cost so much was food as so many kitchens were closed in the albergues that were open. So I was forced to eat in restaurants.
My recommendation as I am always a pilgrim on a budget is to cook in the evenings in the albergues. Many more kitchens should be open. Try to find other pilgrims to cook and eat with, stay in albergues/donativos with communal meals. There is no better way to meet some of the most amazing people anywhere.
I try to shop each day for lunch the next day. I can eat when I want and where I want. See a nice spot. Take off your pack, enjoy the view and eat. You can still go to bars and cafes and have a coffee or drink and meet and chat with pilgrim friends who are having lunch.

There is inflation everywhere. I live in Mexico and it is amazing how much prices in grocery stores and markets have gone up in the last year.
I walked the VDLP last October-December and albergue prices (when they were open) were not much higher if at all than previous caminos. The thing that cost so much was food as so many kitchens were closed in the albergues that were open. So I was forced to eat in restaurants.
My recommendation as I am always a pilgrim on a budget is to cook in the evenings in the albergues. Many more kitchens should be open. Try to find other pilgrims to cook and eat with, stay in albergues/donativos with communal meals. There is no better way to meet some of the most amazing people anywhere.
I try to shop each day for lunch the next day. I can eat when I want and where I want. See a nice spot. Take off your pack, enjoy the view and eat. You can still go to bars and cafes and have a coffee or drink and meet and chat with pilgrim friends who are having lunch.
Yes, one reason the kitchens were closed (besides COVID) is that communities want to encourage pilgrims to eat at the restaurants to "spread the financial wealth". Last fall at the municipal albergue where my husband was serving he was told under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was he to cook for pilgrims. The stove was unplugged and the electrical plug taped off by order of the municipal offices and although there was a working microwave and refrigerator, there was no toaster, coffee maker, etc. Certainly he prepared instant coffee for himself (which he shared with pilgrims if desired) and some pilgrims did get by on some canned beans or other limited microwavable items from the tiny store in town. I know other albergues staffed by volunteers had limitations on kitchens as well. I think food costs will continue to be a factor in budgets this year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On a positive note, we just got our newsletter from the federation we work for that staffs albergues with volunteers. The note at the end said it looks like most if not all of our federation staffed albergues will be open in April if enough volunteers can be found. This means many more options than the last 2 years!

Yes, one reason the kitchens were closed (besides COVID) is that communities want to encourage pilgrims to eat at the restaurants to "spread the financial wealth". Last fall at the municipal albergue where my husband was serving he was told under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was he to cook for pilgrims. The stove was unplugged and the electrical plug taped off by order of the municipal offices and although there was a working microwave and refrigerator, there was no toaster, coffee maker, etc. Certainly he prepared instant coffee for himself (which he shared with pilgrims if desired) and some pilgrims did get by on some canned beans or other limited microwavable items from the tiny store in town. I know other albergues staffed by volunteers had limitations on kitchens as well. I think food costs will continue to be a factor in budgets this year.

I understand closing the kitchens for direct covid reasons (hygiene), but just so that people will go and eat in the restaurants... that's a bit sad. I get the idea, and the intention is a good one. But those who can afford a restaurant meal usually dine out anyway and don't bother cooking their own meals often - at least in my experience. No communal meals cooked by the hospitaleros I also understand. But someone on a low budget doesn't have more money to spend just because the kitchen is closed... so if no communal meals and you're not allowed to cook your own food, that means a cold, lonely dinner for them then :-(

I am fine with eating cold food and do so often when I'm camping (don't want to carry cooking gear). But to think that there's a kitchen, and you're allowed to prepare a cold sandwich but cooking pasta is forbidden... that doesn't really make sense to me.

Hopefully that will change again this year!

Yes it is sad. I love to cook with pilgrims.
Some facilities did allow their kitchen use or prepared meals and it was our understanding through our federation hospitalero contacts that some were fined. Of course this would mean they had to be caught at the practice by the Guardia Civil or local police authorities, etc. We were told this was because of hygiene violations, but hygiene practices last fall varied widely. Some places spraying your shoes and backpacks upon registration, while others did not even have hand sanitizer or soap. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Prices on electricity, oil, liquid gas and petrol has skyrocketed in Europe over the last few months. A meaninless war in Europe indicates a quick rise in various food prices, incl. vegetable oil, flour, etc. I suspect that many businesses, incl. albergues, will HAVE to rise their prices significantly in the coming months, just to survive/cover electrisity bills. So I suspect kitchens will not be allowed in many places. And expect cold nights: No heating on. Etc. etc.

Last edited:
Also for people walking now, there is a transportation strike that is further impacting the supply chain causing some businesses and stores in Galicia to have to temporarily close. Store shelves may be bare in some locations.

I saw today that they are resolving the transportation strike, however, I think there will still be some short term effects.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back