• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying SIM card in Madrid

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hello,

I'll be in Madrid a few days before i start my camino in Roncesvalles this August.
Which Sim card should i buy if i only want to have internet? What is the price range?

I went to Poland last year, had a SIM card of PLAY company, paid about 7 usd for 6 GB internet.

Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

I'll be in Madrid a few days before i start my camino in Roncesvalles this August.
Which Sim card should i buy if i only want to have internet? What is the price range?

I went to Poland last year, had a SIM card of PLAY company, paid about 7 usd for 6 GB internet.

Thanks.

If you feel the need to get a sim card for data I recomend Orange 10 Euro 1GB data its called hola targeta prepago, on the front of the packet there is a whale and a squirel.
Orange coverage is excellent over the camino and being pay as you go there is no contract, You will need your passport when you buy it. Correct there is wifi in most albergues but it tends to get switched off after 22.00 :) to make sure pilgrims got to bed !!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Thanks.
I bought a sim card at the airport in Madrid two days ago. They said it worked and that they had made calls. I didn't try it before I left. It doesn't work. $45 gone.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Vodafone has a card for tourists, good for 30 days, voice and data, for 15 Euros. It's always a good idea to test it in the store.

I bought a sim card at the airport in Madrid two days ago. They said it worked and that they had made calls. I didn't try it before I left. It doesn't work. $45 gone.
Did you have your phone unlocked before you left?

A related word to the wise.
If you need web access for navigation (not on the CF, obviously, but for the more out of the way caminos) be sure that you have time to get the SIM before you head out.
This year I assumed I would be able to get a SIM for my phone in the Madrid Airport. But my flight was late so that was a no go.
No problem, I thought. I'll get it in Burgos. But I had forgotten about siesta--and I was off to to Santo Domingo de Silos before the shops opened up again. I needed the SIM to access maps and wikiloc--but because of the timing I was totally out of luck. (Fortunately I had downloaded some maps onto the phone and had downloaded screengrabs of a wililoc track 'in case.' 'In case' happened. But realtime map access would have been much much better.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We got our SIM card from a large dept store in Pamplona. Can't remember what plan exactly but it was from Orange. Might have been the ballena (whale) plan (pay as you go after initial purchase, fairly inexpensive) but really can't remember We were able to top up as needed from almost any atm machine or the occasional vending machine or even by phone. Super easy but we did struggle a bit initially as we do not speak Spanish so the sales girl's attempt to help or answer our questions when we bought the card fell on deaf ears, so to speak. We eventually figured it out and were a little embarrassed at how easy it was .... The reason we wanted a sim was to keep in touch if we got separated and also in case of emergency and also to call ahead for reservations etc ... Not just for data

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.