• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Call me crazy...

Flynbo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May-June 2015)
...but I am thinking of taking my Buffalo Special Shirt 6 ( http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/special-6-shirt/). I realise this is probably/definitely overkill but it leads me to the question of what to bring in terms of layers for the Camino? I start 11 May from SJPdP and think maybe base layers and a reasonably insulating fleece and poncho on top as and when necessary will suffice?

Can anyone tell me/us how cold is it getting early morning and late at night at this time of year?

I realise this is quite a tough question to answer but any guidance would be much appreciated, so thank you.

Buen Camino!

JG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not really cold at all. But that depends on your tolerance....

I'm walking now in just a shirt.... but then I tend to 'run hot'.

Others are wearing three layers.....but very quickly peeling them off as they start walking. ..

Temp right now in Zubiri at 6pm is 18 degrees c.

Last edited:
Completely overkill (imo). I think you'll regret taking something that bulky and heavy. Layering with lightweight layers is key :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Goodness me. Quality kit from Buffalo but overkill. Once you start walking you'll probably be too hot.
As a smock it's not going to ventilate as well as a jacket would. I don't know the price but as it's
Buffalo probably too expensive to ditch. At over half a kilo it's a heavy thing to be carrying across
Spain if you're not using it every day

If you're worried about being cold for the first few stages can I suggest doing what I did ? I bought a
£10 fleece and after the weather warmed up I left it behind. ( Two days later it started snowing but
you can see where my thoughts were going )

I'll call you crazy :)

If I have learnt one thing from this forum it's this.......

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here and some extraordinarily helpful and supportive people.

If they say take this......and don't take that....you can bet they are right :)

As a newbie Pilgrim what would I have known better , than the thousands who have gone before me?

As I start out on day 5 all of the advice I received stays sound ;)

Of course there are a few nutters on this forum who give bad advice too.... but you'll work out the good and bad :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm crazy. Buffalo staying at home. £16.99 fleece: packed. Thanks everyone!

...but I am thinking of taking my Buffalo Special Shirt 6 ( http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/special-6-shirt/). I realise this is probably/definitely overkill but it leads me to the question of what to bring in terms of layers for the Camino? I start 11 May from SJPdP and think maybe base layers and a reasonably insulating fleece and poncho on top as and when necessary will suffice?

Can anyone tell me/us how cold is it getting early morning and late at night at this time of year?

I realise this is quite a tough question to answer but any guidance would be much appreciated, so thank you.

Buen Camino!

JG

That one is definitively overkill for a May Camino! A lighter, and cheaper, windbreaker jacket will do the task just as well.
Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.