• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino at the beginning of Spring 2024 from the UK with my dog.

Angela Leon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte from Irun (2015)
Camino Portugues from Lisbon (2016)
Finisterra and Muxia (2016)
Camino Frances WInter 09/12/2016
Hello, I need advice on my plan, I am planning to do the Camino with my dog, at this time she will be 18 months old. I am planning to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, walk Camino del Norte until Ribadeo and link with Camino Primitivo. I am taking my tent with me, as I love camping and I understand Maya won't be accepted in Albergues, I hope in some hotel yes.
I keep all her vaccinations, worms, etc up to date, and she has the anti-rabies, just in case. The vet will give me the health certificate 5 days before travelling.
It is anything I am missing from my plan?
I had made Camino twice, a few years back, Autumnm and End of the Summer. Never Spring. I don't mind the cold, but I want to be prepared for it, especially for Maya, who is a worker Cocker Spaniel.
Can you have any suggestions for clothing for Spring weather, places to avoid, and if I need something specific for Maya that I am missing?

This will be on my bag so far:
Tent, ultra-light
Mayas First AID
Maya's protective socks and Paw nectar, her waterproof coat =)
Dehydrated food for her
Sleeping bag
Change of clothes for me, waterproof, and essential

I travel super light normally, my backpack normally is about 6-7 kg for a trip of a month and a half. I guess with Maya stuff will be around 8-9kg.

Thank you for any advice and Buen Camino...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I need advice on my plan, I am planning to do the Camino with my dog, at this time she will be 18 months old. I am planning to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, walk Camino del Norte until Ribadeo and link with Camino Primitivo. I am taking my tent with me, as I love camping and I understand Maya won't be accepted in Albergues, I hope in some hotel yes.
I keep all her vaccinations, worms, etc up to date, and she has the anti-rabies, just in case. The vet will give me the health certificate 5 days before travelling.
I had made Camino twice, a few years back, Autumnm and End of the Summer. Never Spring. I don't mind the cold, but I want to be prepared for it, especially for Maya, who is a worker Cocker Spaniel.
Can you have any suggestions for clothing for Spring weather, places to avoid, and if I need something specific for Maya that I am missing?

This will be on my bag so far:
Tent, ultra-light
Mayas First AID
Maya's protective socks and Paw nectar, her waterproof coat =)
Dehydrated food for her
Sleeping bag
Change of clothes for me, waterproof, and essential

I travel super light normally, my backpack normally is about 6-7 kg for a trip of a month and a half. I guess with Maya stuff will be around 8-9kg.

Thank you for any advice and Buen Camino...
No advice. Just best wishes. Buen camino, chica! (sorry I cannot get keyboard to behave for first upside down exclamation mark!)

Small point. The Primitivo begins at Oviedo, so you will need to divert off the Norte at Villaviciosa. Ribadeo is where the Norte leaves the coast and heads inland.

The weather in spring is unpredictable, so you need to be ready for cold, wet and heat.

Dogs in Spain are (nowadays) kept restrained so they shouldn´t be a threat, but they will voice their feelings about a strange dog moving across their territory. Bear that in mind as Maya may be very upset by this.

Some, especially private, albergues, may be more than happy to let you and Maya camp in their garden. Wild camping is technically illegal in Spain so try to avoid it if you can.

Other than that, buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi , when I'm not mistaking your dog need to be microchipped aswel. 🙏🏻

Small point. The Primitivo begins at Oviedo, so you will need to divert off the Norte at Villaviciosa. Ribadeo is where the Norte leaves the coast and heads inland.

The weather in spring is unpredictable, so you need to be ready for cold, wet and heat.

Dogs in Spain are (nowadays) kept restrained so they shouldn´t be a threat, but they will voice their feelings about a strange dog moving across their territory. Bear that in mind as Maya may be very upset by this.

Some, especially private, albergues, may be more than happy to let you and Maya camp in their garden. Wild camping is technically illegal in Spain so try to avoid it if you can.

Other than that, buen camino.
Thank you!!! I miss calculate Primitive starting point. Regarding barking dogs, I already exposing her to different environments,at the same time lot of dog training.
Thank you for your help

In the past the overwhelming response on here to a canine Camino has been ‘don’t do it’.

The best thread I can recall which offers practical advice as to how to succeed is this one:

You might take a look at APACA from where you can obtain a canine version of a credenciale. They also publish a guide for dogs / although focussed on the Frances I think.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be aware that Maya will not only not be allowed in (most) albergues and hotels, but neither in bars, restaurants, trains, busses, taxi's.
Spanish people have a total different relationship with dogs than people from the UK.

Dogs are allowed
On trains but they need to be under a certain weight, 15 kilos I think.
On the norte between Deba and markina I remember passing farmhouses with chained dogs that rushed out to the end of their chain in an alarming manner

In October I met a family on the Camino Frances with a very friendly medium size dog on a leash. Too friendly, it wanted to and did jump up on all passing pilgrims' legs. Dirty paws. In 10 Caminos I have only seen about half a dozen pilgrims walking with their dog (and one in a bicycle basket and another in a baby push cart). While you may get a lot of emotional support from your dog companion, walking with one will burden you with a lot of extra concerns about accommodation, entry to establishments, churches and cathedrals, the dog's care and health, and interactions with the many surrounding dogs and cats. The Caminos are wonderful but difficult. These extra concerns may be a deal breaker for you. Or vice versa, walking without your canine companion may be your deal breaker. My concern for you and your Camino is having a dog may prevent you from enjoying the tremendous camaraderie experienced between fellow pilgrims. Your friendly dog may often invite other pilgrims spontaneously into your company but your added daily logistical concerns will likely prevent you from fully participating in the pilgrim community. But - Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am taking my tent with me, as I love camping and I understand Maya won't be accepted in Albergues, I hope in some hotel yes.
Please bear in mind that "wild/free" camping is illegal in Asturias and that that rule is generally, rigorously, applied. I know that to my cost. The fine was €100 20 years ago. We all know that the Guardia Civil are all warm and fluffy on the outside these days but their hearts are still made from steel.

You have plenty of time to plot your journey. Use www.gronze.com , the phrase you are looking for is "Admiten mascotas".

Edit: as in https://www.gronze.com/francia/piri...port-donibane-garazi/gite-le-lievre-et-tortue

Last edited:
As well as the challenges mentioned above, on my two Primitivos, I noted that not all dogs were chained-- shepherds' dogs usually were loose-- and the dogs of Asturias are large and effective work dogs, protective of their territory. While most of the Primitivo is asphalt, some long stretches are rocky and you may want to have an extra set of paw coverings handy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked for over two weeks with a girl and her dog doing the CF (they actually started in Poitiers), there were no problems and they mainly camped (which yes is technically not allowed). Some Albergues do take dogs - Buen Camino App actually shows those that do (and horses 🤣). There are many bars and restaurants that will also allow you in with a dog, but equally many that will not.
You just need to be very on your game, have zero naivety and be alert to any problems before they happen if you're going with your dog, and respect the locals even if you don't agree with them.

With regard to camping: At the coast there should be plenty official campsites, but you might need to walk a few kms off the official route - just check on google maps. In summer (july/august) there are many tourists, so many campsites will be fully booked. But in spring I guess that's not a big problem :) .

If you're okay with walking a few extra kms off the marked route, that can make it easier to find a (legal) camp ground.

Not all spanish campsites allow dogs, so you need to check/ask, but apparently many do allow pets.

I haven't walked the Norte yet, but stayed at a campsite not far from Ribadeo and at one close to San Sebastian, last year during my travel back home, and both allowed pets (I had a cat with me, but there were dogs, too ).

On the short section of the Francés you'll probably walk after the Primitivo, the Teiraboa Basecamp in Arzua is also very pet friendly (when I was there, there were many dogs, me with the cat, and even one spanish couple with a pet bunny!). It is directly on the Camino, before town.

The campsite in Santiago also allows dogs/cats.

Good luck. Walking from home is an amazing project!

Last edited:
In the past the overwhelming response on here to a canine Camino has been ‘don’t do it’.

The best thread I can recall which offers practical advice as to how to succeed is this one:

You might take a look at APACA from where you can obtain a canine version of a credenciale. They also publish a guide for dogs / although focussed on the Frances I think.

I was walking with a group on the Camino Primitivo that included a dog (Floyd) and his owner (Joško). In fact, we labelled our WhatsApp group "Floyd's Gang". It is doable, but Joško often had a tougher time finding accommodations than the rest of us, sometimes a bit further from the town or village and costing more money than the albergues we were staying in. And he reported being turned away from albergues he had booked, being very clear in the booking that he was bringing a dog. I can't speak to the camping situation.

He did bring a special credential for his perrogrino which he dutifully got stamped. I think there is a special certificate he got for Floyd (perhaps not from the Pilgrim Office). I'm still in touch with Joško if you want me to pass on any questions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've always camped my Camino's; I've always wanted to take my Dog.
I tired of advice not to camp and the telling of the legal implications; there's plenty available; probably/possibly given by those who don't camp.
If you do it right, no one will know you are there, or have been there.......I leave no trace, and do no harm.........what the eyes don't see, the heart won't grieve.
I admire what you are doing; Im sure you will take great care of your Dog, so enjoy........and please let me know how it goes; maybe I will learn enough from your Camino, to make my next one with my Molly.
Best Regards,

Come on, Paul. Its THEIR COUNTRY. We pilgrims are fortunate to be able to walk the Caminos and enjoy inexpensive albergues and wonderful Spanish hospitality. Please respect their very few rules. If you like to WILD camp, I do, bring your dog and come on up to Alaska and I will show you some great trails. You can borrow one of my bear guns. Buen Camino

I've always camped my Camino's; I've always wanted to take my Dog.
I tired of advice not to camp and the telling of the legal implications; there's plenty available; probably/possibly given by those who don't camp.
If you do it right, no one will know you are there, or have been there.......I leave no trace, and do no harm.........what the eyes don't see, the heart won't grieve.
I admire what you are doing; Im sure you will take great care of your Dog, so enjoy........and please let me know how it goes; maybe I will learn enough from your Camino, to make my next one with my Molly.
Best Regards,
What shall I say, oh yes... It's there Country there rules.🙏🏻

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was walking with a group on the Camino Primitivo that included a dog (Floyd) and his owner (Joško). In fact, we labelled our WhatsApp group "Floyd's Gang". It is doable, but Joško often had a tougher time finding accommodations than the rest of us, sometimes a bit further from the town or village and costing more money than the albergues we were staying in. And he reported being turned away from albergues he had booked, being very clear in the booking that he was bringing a dog. I can't speak to the camping situation.

He did bring a special credential for his perrogrino which he dutifully got stamped. I think there is a special certificate he got for Floyd (perhaps not from the Pilgrim Office). I'm still in touch with Joško if you want me to pass on any questions.
"Perrogrino"... perfect 🤣🤣🤣

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.