• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances April 2016

Ian41

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino Frances April/May 2016 starting St Jean de Port
I have been planning my 2016 Camino Frances for many months now. Initially I was planning to go by myself, but last week, a friend, Ed, decided he would come as well. We have now booked our flights from Australia to Paris, arriving there on 26 April 2016. We intend traveling by train to Bayonne and St Jean Pied de Port, arriving 27 April. We will start our Camino on 28th April. Can't wait to get started.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been planning my 2016 Camino Frances for many months now. Initially I was planning to go by myself, but last week, a friend, Ed, decided he would come as well. We have now booked our flights from Australia to Paris, arriving there on 26 April 2016. We intend traveling by train to Bayonne and St Jean Pied de Port, arriving 27 April. We will start our Camino on 28th April. Can't wait to get started.

Hola Ian41. Are you planning to travel from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Bayonne? I found the whole ticketing procedure at the train station a little confusing. Best get there early. The train was not running from Bayonne to SJPdP when I arrived in early April this year so had to take a bus to St Jean. There is a wealth of info on this forum about all aspects of the CF, but if you have any questions from an Aussie perspective I would be happy to help. Buen Camino to you and Ed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ian, wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi @Ian41 you'll find a lot of us Aussies here. Also walked April/May this year. We flew from Adelaide to Paris and took the train directly from Charles de Gaulle airport to Bordeaux where we stayed for 2 days, then the train to Bayonne. Like @JMac56 it was the bus from there to SJPdP. I'd pre-booked train tickets and collected them at the airport from one of the ticket machines. It wasn't overly difficult.

All the best with your planning. You'll find answers to most of your questions here on the Forum. It helped me greatly in planning our Camino.

Buen Camino!

Thank you all for your best wishes. I have learned a lot from following all of the posts on this fantastic site. As I am flying into Paris CDG I hope to catch a train from there to Bayonne at 16:20, arriving Bayonne at 22:40. I have been checking out hotels to spend the night at Bayonne before leaving for SJPdP the next morning. I think there are a couple of hotels very near to the station. I am already living my Camino Frances every day even though my actual start is some months away.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is another option of fly to CDG take the shuttle to ORY & fly to Biaritz France. That is if you haven't already purchased tickets. From my home it was less expensive & faster. Might be worth looking into.
Keith

There is another option of fly to CDG take the shuttle to ORY & fly to Biaritz France. That is if you haven't already purchased tickets. From my home it was less expensive & faster. Might be worth looking into.
Keith
Thanks Keith, much appreciated, I am still finalizing my arrangements

Keith

Hi Ian41, Not sure how much overseas travelling you and Ed have done, but jet lag can hit pretty hard after the long trip from Oz to Paris. Best keep a close eye on the waymarks for the first few days on the Camino until the brain catches up with the time difference. I'm sure you will do fine. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ian41, Not sure how much overseas travelling you and Ed have done, but jet lag can hit pretty hard after the long trip from Oz to Paris. Best keep a close eye on the waymarks for the first few days on the Camino until the brain catches up with the time difference. I'm sure you will do fine. Buen Camino.
Good point, my flight into Paris was about an 18 hour trip so by the time I arrived @ Orly I was very tired, but once I arrived in Biaritz I had EXPRESS BOURRICOT
transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturelsCaroline Aphessetche
Maison Jauberriko borda
64220 Ispoure
France
Tel: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76
Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

They simply picked me up at the airport & dropped me a block from the pilgrim office & Alburgues in SJPDP

Thanks Guys, from all of my reading, the one thing that stands out is the caring nature of people on the Camino and your thoughts and suggestions are evidence of that.
Your concern about the effects of jet lag are uppermost in my mind when making my plans. Our flight arrives at 13:30 into Paris CDG and as the train station is underneath the airport and a train leaves there for Bayonne at 16:20, I thought that a long train journey would be quite restful and beneficial. Also sleeping in a hotel in Bayonne for the night would be good.
A short bus trip - or maybe taxi ride - the next day will provide the opportunity to relax in SJPDP before starting walking the next day. Everything I have read says to take things easy during the first week. Good advice I think.
Cheers Ian

View media item 4051
Thanks Guys, from all of my reading, the one thing that stands out is the caring nature of people on the Camino and your thoughts and suggestions are evidence of that.
Your concern about the effects of jet lag are uppermost in my mind when making my plans. Our flight arrives at 13:30 into Paris CDG and as the train station is underneath the airport and a train leaves there for Bayonne at 16:20, I thought that a long train journey would be quite restful and beneficial. Also sleeping in a hotel in Bayonne for the night would be good.
A short bus trip - or maybe taxi ride - the next day will provide the opportunity to relax in SJPDP before starting walking the next day. Everything I have read says to take things easy during the first week. Good advice I think.
Cheers Ian

Yes Ian, the train ride followed by a night in Bayonne and then a night in St Jean will hopefully set you on the right track mentally. I hope you get good weather conditions going over the Pyrenees. The first sight of the Albergue in Roncesvalles is one of the most welcome on the planet! Go well.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Wishing you both a Buen Camino! Make sure to check in with the pilgrims office in SJPdP regarding weather for the Pyrenees and to help with accommodation. Depending how fit and rested you are it might be also a good idea to break up the first day in two and stay at Orisson. SY

Hola and welcome, Ian!
After a 22-hour journey to CdG I did exactly what MTtoCamino did (maybe on his advice, I don't remember...it was someone here, anyway).
It was totally perfect, in spite of a little confusion in Orly about checking in. And Caroline at Express Bourricot was a gem.
Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Ian perhaps we will meet up at some point on the Comino. My GF and I are planning similar timing, we are coming into Barcelona then train to Pamplona etc. We are going to make Easter mass at the cathedral Santa Maria Del Mar if we can, spending a few days to de jet lag on our way to SJPP and start our Comino April 01 or close.
I posted a question on the Alburges, Pensions, Hostels about booking them. Got a ton of truly great information. This is our first Comino so the forum has been very helpful. Well wishes from both of us.

Angelhart

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband & I are starting at the same time - We arrive in Paris on the 27th but are planning on flying to Biarritz.. we'll see you there! We'll be the slow walkers.

My husband & I are starting at the same time - We arrive in Paris on the 27th but are planning on flying to Biarritz.. we'll see you there! We'll be the slow walkers.

We are taking our time too. The local chapter of APOC has many members that encourage us to take your time, enjoy the Camino etc. We'll see you there I'm sure.

Buen Camino
Angelhart

Ian perhaps we will meet up at some point on the Comino. My GF and I are planning similar timing, we are coming into Barcelona then train to Pamplona etc. We are going to make Easter mass at the cathedral Santa Maria Del Mar if we can, spending a few days to de jet lag on our way to SJPP and start our Comino April 01 or close.
I posted a question on the Alburges, Pensions, Hostels about booking them. Got a ton of truly great information. This is our first Comino so the forum has been very helpful. Well wishes from both of us.

Angelhart

Angelhart
Hi Angelhart, you will be well ahead me on the Camino if you are leaving at the beginning of April. I hope that your Camino is great and that you meet some wonderful pilgrims along the way. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino Ian and Ed. Enjoy the planning and the anticipation!

Lots of reasonably priced hotels down the road on your left as you come out of the station at Bayonne. The ones at the station square are a bit noisy and overpriced for what they are.

Arriving Pamplona April 26th and leaving the same day as you from STJPdP. Hope to see you there. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Angelhart

My teenage son and I are hoping to start from st jean around the 4th or 5th Apr 2016. We can only do about three weeks due to school and work commitments but we can resume our pilgrimage where we left off hopefully in a few years.
I am still in the planning stages. Hopefully the pass will be open from st jean.
Buen Camino

Sounds like you're ready to go. My wife and I plan to start our second walk around about the second week in April from St Jean.
We walked from St Jean last year on the 30th April and when we got to Roncesvalles the new monastery was full, and they opened up the old one to fit in the huge numbers. Even then a number of people still slept on the 'oval'. We found out that many locals bused in to Roncesvalles to start their May day long weekend walk there and arrived before those walking from St Jean. Given that next year is a holy year, and that you'll be around Pamplona on the 1st May, you may find a similarly crowded couple of days.

€60,-
Hi there LJ2016 and husband, look forward to meeting you both on the path.

Buen Camino Ian and Ed. Enjoy the planning and the anticipation!
Thank you NualaOC, it looks like you are quite experienced at all of this. I am excited but nervous. cheers, Ian

Lots of reasonably priced hotels down the road on your left as you come out of the station at Bayonne. The ones at the station square are a bit noisy and overpriced for what they are.
Thanks marbuck, I will certainly check these out, cheers Ian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arriving Pamplona April 26th and leaving the same day as you from STJPdP. Hope to see you there. Buen Camino!
Look forward to meeting you on the 28th April grumerz. Buen Camino

My teenage son and I are hoping to start from st jean around the 4th or 5th Apr 2016. We can only do about three weeks due to school and work commitments but we can resume our pilgrimage where we left off hopefully in a few years.
I am still in the planning stages. Hopefully the pass will be open from st jean.
Buen Camino
I hope that it is open for you both, I wouldn't like to miss out on that experience. Buen Camino

Sounds like you're ready to go. My wife and I plan to start our second walk around about the second week in April from St Jean.
We walked from St Jean last year on the 30th April and when we got to Roncesvalles the new monastery was full, and they opened up the old one to fit in the huge numbers. Even then a number of people still slept on the 'oval'. We found out that many locals bused in to Roncesvalles to start their May day long weekend walk there and arrived before those walking from St Jean. Given that next year is a holy year, and that you'll be around Pamplona on the 1st May, you may find a similarly crowded couple of days.
Good advice Rhysmike. I guess I will find out more about that sort of problem as time passes.
cheers Ian

Hola and welcome, Ian!
After a 22-hour journey to CdG I did exactly what MTtoCamino did (maybe on his advice, I don't remember...it was someone here, anyway).
It was totally perfect, in spite of a little confusion in Orly about checking in. And Caroline at Express Bourricot was a gem.
Wishing you a Buen Camino!
Hola VN, thank you for your advice, I can't get over the helpful nature of everyone on this Forum. As I have posted, our flight gets in to Paris CDG at 13:30 and a train leaves from there 3 hours later for Bayonne. As long as everything goes on schedule, that seems like our best option at this time. Fingers crossed!

I have just read accounts of the attacks in France. My feelings are with all involved in this terrible thing.

Ian

Hi Ian. I'm walking from SJPDP with my mate Dave leaving there on the 16th April next year. We too are flying into Paris then staying there for 3 days then TGV to Bayonne. We had hoped like you and Ed to travel to St John by train but heard about the problem there so we are hoping the rail issue might be resolved by the time we get to Bayonne so we can still travel to St John by train. Does anyone have any information about that likelihood? We too are First Timers on the Camino and we have been planning for almost 2.5 years so our excitement levels may even exceed yours. Buen Camino to both you and Ed. Garry.

Yes, from Australia and NZ the jet lag is a real issue - as I always tell myself when things seems overwhelming for the first few days. Best to avoid any major decisions if possible. I read somewhere that sleep deprivation is similar to being drunk, and we all know a few horror stories of some of those decisions.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ian. I'm walking from SJPDP with my mate Dave leaving there on the 16th April next year. We too are flying into Paris then staying there for 3 days then TGV to Bayonne. We had hoped like you and Ed to travel to St John by train but heard about the problem there so we are hoping the rail issue might be resolved by the time we get to Bayonne so we can still travel to St John by train. Does anyone have any information about that likelihood? We too are First Timers on the Camino and we have been planning for almost 2.5 years so our excitement levels may even exceed yours. Buen Camino to both you and Ed. Garry.
Wow! 2.5 years of planning - how could you stand the waiting? From what I can glean, the train hasn't run for some time, but a bus service operates from the station using the same timetable (I think)
You and Dave will be way ahead of us. Cheers Ian

Hola VN, thank you for your advice, I can't get over the helpful nature of everyone on this Forum. As I have posted, our flight gets in to Paris CDG at 13:30 and a train leaves from there 3 hours later for Bayonne. As long as everything goes on schedule, that seems like our best option at this time. Fingers crossed!
I have just read accounts of the attacks in France. My feelings are with all involved in this terrible thing.

Ian
If you have the time, spend a night in Paris to get over your jet lag. Otherwise your brain will be frazzled by the time you get to Bayonne.

Last time were arrived in Paris we spent the night at the airport Ibis. Very cheap by Paris standards and it was bliss being able to go straight to bed after the long flight. Then up early the next morning to catch the train. Just give yourself plenty of time if you have to get to Montparnasse - we once managed to miss the train because we did not allow enough time. Unless you are going to spend a couple of days in Paris, for pleasure, I'd go from CDG for preference, even it it means changing trains.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My GF and I are planning similar timing, we are coming into Barcelona then train to Pamplona etc.

I am hoping to do the same thing... fly to Barcelona and take the train and then bus... do you have good resources for exactly how to do that? there seems to be more information for people who are flying into Paris.

Excited as well, to do my first camino!

The two main Spanish websites for this are alsa.es (bus) and renfe.es (train) another good, general travel resource is also rome2rio.com. Buen Camino! SY

My GF and I are planning similar timing, we are coming into Barcelona then train to Pamplona etc.

I am hoping to do the same thing... fly to Barcelona and take the train and then bus... do you have good resources for exactly how to do that? there seems to be more information for people who are flying into Paris.

Excited as well, to do my first camino!

Hi LJ, I am flying into de Gaulle on the 26th April and taking the train to Biarritz. Having a couple of days rest to recover from jet lag and then starting from SJPP on 1 May. Hoping to have a walking companion, but will look forward to meeting others starting around the same time, and enjoy the camaraderie.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK, Paris return flights booked! Planning to start walking from Bayonne, or thereabouts, around April 5, finishing in SdC around May 17, including Finisterre & Muxia loop. Cannot wait! :)

OK, Paris return flights booked! Planning to start walking from Bayonne, or thereabouts, around April 5, finishing in SdC around May 17, including Finisterre & Muxia loop. Cannot wait! :)
Buen Camino JMac56, you can blaze the trail for me.

Cheers Ian

The train from Bayonne to SJPP is now running again without the need to change onto a coach part way.

on the 27th April 2016 Easyjet have a flight to Biarritz from Paris CDG..leaving at 15:05 pm.arriving 16:30 pm...
you could then take the bus to bayonne and stay at a hotel near the station...for the night.

or decide to stay in a hotel at the airport Paris Cdg and take the flight next morning on the 28th April .easyjet flight 07:00 am to Biarritz arriving 08:25 am....which would enable you to catch the train from Bayonne at 11:51 am arriving SJPP 13:09 pm....enjoying SJPP for the afternoon and visiting the pilgrims office would then ready you for a fresh relaxed start on the 29th.

using skyscanner.com not skyscanner.net for flight times .

The train from Bayonne to SJPP is now running again without the need to change onto a coach part way.

on the 27th April 2016 Easyjet have a flight to Biarritz from Paris CDG..leaving at 15:05 pm.arriving 16:30 pm...
you could then take the bus to bayonne and stay at a hotel near the station...for the night.

or decide to stay in a hotel at the airport Paris Cdg and take the flight next morning on the 28th April .easyjet flight 07:00 am to Biarritz arriving 08:25 am....which would enable you to catch the train from Bayonne at 11:51 am arriving SJPP 13:09 pm....enjoying SJPP for the afternoon and visiting the pilgrims office would then ready you for a fresh relaxed start on the 29th.

using skyscanner.com not skyscanner.net for flight times .
Thanks mountaingoat999, there seem to be so many options for me to think about. Everyone is so helpful.
Ian

I have been planning my 2016 Camino Frances for many months now. Initially I was planning to go by myself, but last week, a friend, Ed, decided he would come as well. We have now booked our flights from Australia to Paris, arriving there on 26 April 2016. We intend traveling by train to Bayonne and St Jean Pied de Port, arriving 27 April. We will start our Camino on 28th April. Can't wait to get started

Last edited:

€46,-
60 sleeps to go!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back