• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francés April 2024

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, my name is Mark. I've be saying that I will walk the Camino Frances since 2013 when I joined this group.

Now is the time to do it! Like everyone I can, and have always found reasons why not to do it. Partners, work commitments, Covid and many many more, but something happened to change all of this literally 2 years ago to the day.

My father, 96, a war hero and "Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur" was lying in bed, in his nursing home where he didn't want to be, and I was sat by his side thinking that he was asleep, when all of a sudden I thought I heard him cry. Something I'd never seen nor heard this very private man do before, except when my Mum died in 1995.

" Hey pop. Come on what's the matter?" I asked as i stroked his head whilst he lay in the fetal position facing away from me. "Where's the point he said, where's the bloody point?" "To what I asked?" "Do you know, when you're lying here, just waiting to die, the only bloody thing worth anything are the memories you've made! Not the share portfolios, savings accounts, big house in the country. And the only woman I ever loved died 30 odd years ago, and apart from you, with Janine (My ex) and the children taking me on holiday, what bloody memories have I got?" Come on Dad don't be like that." I replied.

"No I wont!" He snapped back. "You promise me that when I'm dead and gone, you make sure you take my money, whatever there is, and go and make yourself some bloody memories before its to late!"

I will never forget those words, and I've repeated them so many times to family friends, and I even included that story in his epitaph some 8 weeks later, at his funeral attended by family friends and even a representative from Bomber Command.

So here I am, planning my Camino, no…. planning Dads and my Camino.

I plan to start late March, early April 2024. And am giving myself 50 days, as I want to stop over and enjoy places that I find and like on route. I also would like to continue to Finisterre. If I can get that far.

Anyone else planning to start next March/April? Yes I’m scared, or rather nervous at leaving my partner, but she understands that I have to do this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, my name is Mark. I've be saying that I will walk the Camino Frances since 2013 when I joined this group.

Now is the time to do it! Like everyone I can, and have always found reasons why not to do it. Partners, work commitments, Covid and many many more, but something happened to change all of this literally 2 years ago to the day.

My father, 96, a war hero and "Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur" was lying in bed, in his nursing home where he didn't want to be, and I was sat by his side thinking that he was asleep, when all of a sudden I thought I heard him cry. Something I'd never seen nor heard this very private man do before, except when my Mum died in 1995.

" Hey pop. Come on what's the matter?" I asked as i stroked his head whilst he lay in the fetal position facing away from me. "Where's the point he said, where's the bloody point?" "To what I asked?" "Do you know, when you're lying here, just waiting to die, the only bloody thing worth anything are the memories you've made! Not the share portfolios, savings accounts, big house in the country. And the only woman I ever loved died 30 odd years ago, and apart from you, with Janine (My ex) and the children taking me on holiday, what bloody memories have I got?" Come on Dad don't be like that." I replied.

"No I wont!" He snapped back. "You promise me that when I'm dead and gone, you make sure you take my money, whatever there is, and go and make yourself some bloody memories before its to late!"

I will never forget those words, and I've repeated them so many times to family friends, and I even included that story in his epitaph some 8 weeks later, at his funeral attended by family friends and even a representative from Bomber Command.

So here I am, planning my Camino, no…. planning Dads and my Camino.

I plan to start late March, early April 2024. And am giving myself 50 days, as I want to stop over and enjoy places that I find and like on route. I also would like to continue to Finisterre. If I can get that far.

Anyone else planning to start next March/April? Yes I’m scared, or rather nervous at leaving my partner, but she understands that I have to do this.
I will be starting late April, but much further along the route (probably Vilafranca del Bierzo) so, who knows, maybe we will cross paths.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
go and make yourself some bloody memories before its to late!"

Words to live by!

Not sure we'll run into you, but my wife and I are hoping to start the Frances mid-March next year. We had intended to start last month, but health problems forced us to reschedule.

Hi,
I am walking my first Camino this April. I arrive in Barcelona on the 6th. Have not yet figured out how I will get to St. Jean Pied-du-Port. I am hoping it will take one day, but maybe two are needed. I have just started looking into the details. So perhaps we will cross paths. It sounds like you have a wonderful motivation. I am just starting to believe I am actually doing it at last, and that feels scary/good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I am walking my first Camino this April. I arrive in Barcelona on the 6th. Have not yet figured out how I will get to St. Jean Pied-du-Port. I am hoping it will take one day, but maybe two are needed. I have just started looking into the details. So perhaps we will cross paths. It sounds like you have a wonderful motivation. I am just starting to believe I am actually doing it at last, and that feels scary/good.
Yes, both scared and excited here!

I'll be starting sometime between mid-April and June 2024. You will need that 50-days. I understand that need to get away and feeling the need to do this. There's one of those Camino videos on YouTube that started with something like, "I woke up one morning and knew that I had to walk the Camino." That's about what I experienced a few years ago. Just sort of "POP" and I knew I had to do this.

Are you preparing by walking and hiking a lot to toughen up a bit?

I'll be starting sometime between mid-April and June 2024. You will need that 50-days. I understand that need to get away and feeling the need to do this. There's one of those Camino videos on YouTube that started with something like, "I woke up one morning and knew that I had to walk the Camino." That's about what I experienced a few years ago. Just sort of "POP" and I knew I had to do this.

Need to start, My bag is packed. Think I will believing London Friday 5th by train to Paris.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
Yes it's scary and exciting at the same time. I wrote in my journal when I committed to doing this that in my head I felt like my Camino had at that moment already begun. Perhaps we will meet. Buen Camino. 😊

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes it's scary and exciting at the same time. I wrote in my journal when I committed to doing this that in my head I felt like my Camino had at that moment already begun. Perhaps we will meet. Buen Camino. 😊
So true, it starts the day you commit to doing it! I wrote more or less the same thing in my Camino journal..😊

Not as much as I should be, a couple of 23k hikes over hills with a light pack. Need to do more, illness stopped me, but I'm OK now. 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.