• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, are you ready for this Aussie. . . .

Veronica Peace

30km to go on the CF
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances - SJPdP to SdC June - 2015; Future: Camino Portuguese 2018
Hi everyone! I’ll be starting my Camino Frances on June 16th (2015). Initially arriving into Biarritz on the 15th and travelling down to Saint Jean Pied de Port where I’ll spend the night before setting off on The Way the next day. Any tips/help/advice on getting from Biarritz to SJPdP would be very much appreciated! Sooo excited! Camino Frances, are you ready for this Aussie! :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Veronica and Buen Camino!

Hi Veronica - welcome!

I hope that all your planning is going really well. The next few months will fly by and you will be on those magical ancient paths before you know it! Although not related to your request for transport advice in your post, I thought of a couple of things you might be interested in:

1) depending on where you live in Australia, some of the capital cities have pilgrim groups that meet up regularly. I'm a member of Pilgrims in Sydney and we have meetings at the Sydney RSL each month. We have a lunch meeting the first Saturday of each 'even' month and a dinner meeting on the first Wednesday of each 'odd' month. I know there are other groups in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth, and I think there's groups in Adelaide and on the Gold Coast too.

2) when you get to Rabanal, just after Astorga, try to stay at Refugio Gaucelmo. The refugio is owned by the Confraternity of St James in the UK and it's known as "the English refugio". It's staffed by volunteers who come from all over the world to be of service to pilgrims and it really is the most wonderful refugio. Parts of it date back to the 12th century - there is a large main building which houses a dormitory which sleeps 20 people, a smaller room which is saved for anyone who comes in feeling ill, a salon, kitchen, and bathroom facilities. There is a barn which sleeps 16 people which has its own bathroom and additional bathrooms are in a separate small building. The refugio has a fantastic kitchen garden with an abundance of fresh herbs which pilgrims are welcome to use in their cooking, and also an absolutely gorgeous large garden (a huerta) at the bottom of the property. There's also a clothes spinner for your wet washing which is always REALLY popular! The hospitaleros serve afternoon tea to the pilgrims each day and a basic breakfast is also provided - both free of charge. The refugio is donativo so you only pay what you can afford. Depending on who's been volunteering, Australians volunteer there from time to time, you might be lucky enough to see a tube of our beloved vegemite on the table at breakfast! Here's a photo -

Gaucelmo.jpg

Take joy in every step -

Cheers - Jenny

PS - check out the thumbnail image of the huerta (below) - it's really lovely.

Attachments

• huerta at Gaucelmo.jpg
    huerta at Gaucelmo.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome @Veronica Peace - and I hope you have a wonderful Camino. I walked mid June to the end of July one year with my daughter, during her university holidays. It was a lovely time but hot, hot, hot. We found we needed to get up at daybreak and stopped by midday. On the meseta we seemed always to be blessed with a lovely breeze in the mornings. Do take care to pace yourself and keep hydrated. With water, not vino Tinto!

It took a few minutes for the camino to reach consensus, but it has decided that it is indeed ready for you Ms. Peace. :)
LOL I'm so happy to hear this good news David! If it wasn't ready; and I'm going whether it's ready or not :), what's left to do. . . . . . sneak up on it and pretend I'm not really there perhaps! lol

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.......Any tips/help/advice on getting from Biarritz to SJPdP would be very much appreciated! Sooo excited! Camino Frances, are you ready for this Aussie! :p

Hi @Veronica Peace, wishing you a wonderful Camino!

Re your question about getting from Biarriz to SJPdeP: there's some useful information in this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...itz-airport-to-saint-jean-pied-de-port.26532/

Nuala

Thank you Nuala! This information is very much appreciated :) Buen Camino!!

Welcome @Veronica Peace - and I hope you have a wonderful Camino. I walked mid June to the end of July one year with my daughter, during her university holidays. It was a lovely time but hot, hot, hot. We found we needed to get up at daybreak and stopped by midday. On the meseta we seemed always to be blessed with a lovely breeze in the mornings. Do take care to pace yourself and keep hydrated. With water, not vino Tinto!

Thank you so much for the lovely wishes and great advice Kanga :) I'll certainly take your advice on board re the earlier morning walking and rehydration. Some vino tinto in the evenings might be nice though. Could be a good tonic for sleeping through all the snoring going on that I've heard happens in the albergues. . . . . not that I won't be contributing to that symphony as well after some vino tinto mind you hehe :)

Last edited:
Just FYI - you'll be travelling up to SJPdP, and all of the following day. ;-)

Hi Charles :) Traveling up? Really? Oh oh, I thought SJPdP was south west of Biarritz. . . .?!? If I arrive into Biarritz on the morning of the 15th, shouldn't I be able to make it to SJPdP by that evening? Yikes, I'm a bit concerned/confused now :oops:. I received a link from @NualaOC (lovely, kind pilgrim). So I'll check that out and see if I can make sense of it all :confused:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Veronica - welcome!

I hope that all your planning is going really well. The next few months will fly by and you will be on those magical ancient paths before you know it! Although not related to your request for transport advice in your post, I thought of a couple of things you might be interested in:

1) depending on where you live in Australia, some of the capital cities have pilgrim groups that meet up regularly. I'm a member of Pilgrims in Sydney and we have meetings at the Sydney RSL each month. We have a lunch meeting the first Saturday of each 'even' month and a dinner meeting on the first Wednesday of each 'odd' month. I know there are other groups in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth, and I think there's groups in Adelaide and on the Gold Coast too.

2) when you get to Rabanal, just after Astorga, try to stay at Refugio Gaucelmo. The refugio is owned by the Confraternity of St James in the UK and it's known as "the English refugio". It's staffed by volunteers who come from all over the world to be of service to pilgrims and it really is the most wonderful refugio. Parts of it date back to the 12th century - there is a large main building which houses a dormitory which sleeps 20 people, a smaller room which is saved for anyone who comes in feeling ill, a salon, kitchen, and bathroom facilities. There is a barn which sleeps 16 people which has its own bathroom and additional bathrooms are in a separate small building. The refugio has a fantastic kitchen garden with an abundance of fresh herbs which pilgrims are welcome to use in their cooking, and also an absolutely gorgeous large garden (a huerta) at the bottom of the property. There's also a clothes spinner for your wet washing which is always REALLY popular! The hospitaleros serve afternoon tea to the pilgrims each day and a basic breakfast is also provided - both free of charge. The refugio is donativo so you only pay what you can afford. Depending on who's been volunteering, Australians volunteer there from time to time, you might be lucky enough to see a tube of our beloved vegemite on the table at breakfast! Here's a photo -

View attachment 16428

Take joy in every step -

Cheers - Jenny

PS - check out the thumbnail image of the huerta (below) - it's really lovely.

Hello Jenny!! Wow, what a terrific message. Thank you so much. Love it! :)
I just cannot wait to get these feet of mine out there on the Camino and walking. I'm so excited, and yes, the time truly is flying by. The monthly meetings sound great. I'm located in the Hunter Valley, which is a bit of a stretch from Sydney, but even if I could get down for just one meeting or even a dinner, then that would be fantastic and terrific to meet you also!

I love the look of the Refugio Gaucelmo! Thank you also for the photo's. I'll definitely be looking to stay there. Perhaps I should pack a tube or two of vegemite to leave there for other Pilgrims to enjoy once I've moved on. . . ? Or maybe not. . . .vegemite is definitely an acquired taste lol :rolleyes:

On a different topic, I've read that I can purchase my Pilgrims Passport here is Aus before I leave. Is that something you would recommend, or would it be simpler to just get one in SJPdP once I'm there? :)

Cheers for now Jenny and yes, I'll definitely do my best to take joy in every step (I'll make out like the pain isn't really there :p)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An oxymoron? :)
No! But there was no way I was going to leave my tube of vegemite behind. I occasionally shared a little with others who appreciated the resuscitative powers of this wonderful product. That and Tiger Balm! What could go wrong with both of those in one's pack?

Last edited:
Hello Jenny!! Wow, what a terrific message. Thank you so much. Love it! :)
I just cannot wait to get these feet of mine out there on the Camino and walking. I'm so excited, and yes, the time truly is flying by. The monthly meetings sound great. I'm located in the Hunter Valley, which is a bit of a stretch from Sydney, but even if I could get down for just one meeting or even a dinner, then that would be fantastic and terrific to meet you also!

I love the look of the Refugio Gaucelmo! Thank you also for the photo's. I'll definitely be looking to stay there. Perhaps I should pack a tube or two of vegemite to leave there for other Pilgrims to enjoy once I've moved on. . . ? Or maybe not. . . .vegemite is definitely an acquired taste lol :rolleyes:

On a different topic, I've read that I can purchase my Pilgrims Passport here is Aus before I leave. Is that something you would recommend, or would it be simpler to just get one in SJPdP once I'm there? :)

Cheers for now Jenny and yes, I'll definitely do my best to take joy in every step (I'll make out like the pain isn't really there :p)

Hi Veronica -

Lucky you living in the Hunter Valley - what a spectacularly beautiful place it is - gorgeous vineyards too! You must have some fantastic training walks!

If you could get down to Sydney for one of the meetings before you leave, that would be terrific. You'd be very, very welcome. Co-Ordinator Julie (we have two - Julie and Sandra) gives a presentation to new pilgrims which is chock-full of useful information which runs for about an hour, then the rest of us arrive and we all spread out together, eat, drink, chat, laugh and share stories of life on and off the Camino - it's a wonderful and fun group.

At the last Saturday meeting at the beginning of this month we had a couple of our Forum members from country NSW join us - CaminoCruiser and AlanPearce. They both caught the train into Sydney for the day - it worked really well for them. There are many Forum members who are part of our group so we often chat about what's happening on the Forum.

The link to our group is www.pilgrimsinsydney.org/.

Definitely take a tube of vegemite with you - you'll be really popular with the Aussies, the Kiwis and the Brits! Below is a photo of vegemite featured at the breakfast table at Gaucelmo last July.

Regarding the credencial, The Australian Friends of the Camino, www.afotc.org/ issue a credencial to members. I'm not sure if there is a charge. They can be contacted through their website. Pilgrims in Sydney also have a link to the AFOTC. Ivar sells credencials too and they can be ordered online through the Camino Store on the homepage here on the Forum, if you'd like to have your credencial organised in advance.

If you'd like to PC me on anything I'd be more than happy to answer questions and to help and if I don't know the answer, I will know someone who does.

Happy planning and happy training!

Cheers - Jenny

Attachments

• Vegemite at Gaucelmo.jpg
    Vegemite at Gaucelmo.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is accustomed to antipodeans and although most of the Spanish can't understand your attempts at the Queen's English they respond well to sign language. However it is quite likely that you will encounter German or Dutch pilgrims who can interpret what you say into English for the locals.;)

@Al the optimist : Thank you for this very helpful advice Al! There are so many, very kind pilgrims here at this forum! I must say that I was a little concerned about this very thing. After living in Taiwan for many years and being required to teach English with a north American accent (I never truly mastered this. . . . does one ever?), I'm afraid my antipodean accent is now sounding very strange indeed! (Queen's English, I do apologise) And to throw more confusion into the accent pot, I've come back home to Aus still using simple daily Mandarin terms (hello, thank you etc) without realising I'm doing it and expecting the poor locals to understand what I'm saying! lol Thank goodness the German and Dutch pilgrim translators/interpretors will be there to save the day! :)

Veronica, hello - sure ... there is a sweet little local train that goes to St Jean, in June it will be full of pilgrims

saw your surname and thought of a sort of predecessor of yours - Buen Camino!

View attachment 16418

@David Hello David, thank you for this advice. Does the train go directly from Biarritz to SJPdP? I love the photo of my 'sort of predecessor'. So cool! Do you know who the woman in the photograph is? Is she a relative or was this just a random shot of a lovely, happy, peace loving pilgrim? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Charles :) Traveling up? Really? Oh oh, I thought SJPdP was south west of Biarritz. . . .?!? If I arrive into Biarritz on the morning of the 15th, shouldn't I be able to make it to SJPdP by that evening? Yikes, I'm a bit concerned/confused now :oops:. I received a link from @NualaOC (lovely, kind pilgrim). So I'll check that out and see if I can make sense of it all :confused:

@Charles Hansen Hi Charles, I think I've got it! Will travel south west from Biarritz heading to SJPdP but then UP into the foothills of the Pyrenees to reach Saint Jean. . . . . .Yes?!? :)

Don't worry, if you arrive Biarritz early morning you will have no problem getting to SJPdP that afternoon.

@Al the optimist Thank you Al :) Another very kind, thoughtful pilgrim @David advised that there is a train from Biarritz to SJPdP. Does it travel directly there or does it take a roundabout route where changeovers will be required? I read somewhere that the trip takes about 7 hours. Does that sound right to you? What about a taxi? Do many pilgrims travel via taxi's on that particular route? If so, have you heard any information about costs involved? :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@David Hello David, thank you for this advice. Does the train go directly from Biarritz to SJPdP? I love the photo of my 'sort of predecessor'. So cool! Do you know who the woman in the photograph is? Is she a relative or was this just a random shot of a lovely, happy, peace loving pilgrim? :)

She was an absolutely extraordinary woman, walked tens of thousands of miles in America 'for peace' during the cold war. Just stepped out of her door one day. Everything she owned she carried in the pockets of that smock she wore, no pack, no spares. One of my heros (there are few) - I would have loved to have met her.

re the train to St Jean. There are postings info on the forum about this - there is a link on another posting above here. I have never taken it myself but do know that you don't have to change. The train station is only half a mile from the street of refugios - you hear folk saying it is a walk "up the hill" to the town from the station but it isn't, mainly level stroll with just a tiny little slope as you come up to the High St.

To the Original Poster..

Let us turn it around. Are You ready for the Camino? The Camino has been there for 1200 years, and I am quite sure it is very relaxed. It has seen a lot of people, and treated them, and now you are taking it on, as only one more walking person in these ancient steps,,,,,,,;) You may have surprises on The Way...;)

Sooo excited! Camino Frances, are you ready for this Aussie! :p
Prepare for a surprise: Your learning curve will go skyhigh :)

But I like your enthusiasm!

Last edited:
If you arrive in Biarritz in the morning as Al says you should have no trouble making it to SJPP that day be it by train or taxi. Up I think was just a figure of speech. Nuala's travel link should give you all the information you need.

@William Marques: Gosh, everyone has been so helpful. Thank you! I’ve thoroughly checked out the link that @NualaOC provided and I must say that @whariwharangi has done a great job compiling all that information. I did read however, that the tracks between Gare de Bayonne and SJPdP had been washed out in the Spring of 2014 and that a detour had been put in place. I’ve left a message to see if there are any updates to this information :) I did make a boo boo with the time of my flight from Dublin to Biarritz though. I won't be arriving in the morning as I'd previously thought :confused:. My flight arrives around 2:30p.m so @Charles Hansen was definitely right. If I choose to take buses and trains, then I'll probably not reach SJPdP until the next day, so I'm now thinking about the taxi option :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@William Marques: Gosh, everyone has been so helpful. Thank you! I’ve thoroughly checked out the link that @NualaOC provided and I must say that @whariwharangi has done a great job compiling all that information. I did read however, that the tracks between Gare de Bayonne and SJPdP had been washed out in the Spring of 2014 and that a detour had been put in place. I’ve left a message to see if there are any updates to this information :) I did make a boo boo with the time of my flight from Dublin to Biarritz though. I won't be arriving in the morning as I'd previously thought :confused:. My flight arrives around 2:30p.m so @Charles Hansen was definitely right. If I choose to take buses and trains, then I'll probably not reach SJPdP until the next day, so I'm now thinking about the taxi option :rolleyes:
From what I have been researching the train takes between 2 & 4 hours, depending on the connection at Bayonne.
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trai...t_jean_pied_de_port_train_station_47_604.aspx
I'm leaving London at about 7am and aim to be in SJPdP by 7.30 pm...all by train.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Via Dublin? So not only jet lag but a Guinness hangover? You will need that extra day! :)

@David LOL That's quite possible, but I'll try with all my might to stay off the Guiness the day I'm travelling ;) Actually, I think the jet lag part will be okay as well. I'll be staying in Dublin for a few days prior to my Camino adventure :)

To the Original Poster..

Let us turn it around. Are You ready for the Camino? The Camino has been there for 1200 years, and I am quite sure it is very relaxed. It has seen a lot of people, and treated them, and now you are taking it on, as only one more walking person in these ancient steps,,,,,,,;) You may have surprises on The Way...;)

Prepare for a surprise: Your learning curve will go skyhigh :)

But I like your enthusiasm!

@alexwalker Hi Alex, thank you for your comment. Well, I'm not sure if I'm totally ready for the Camino, but is anyone ever really ready for such a long trek? But, I'm doing my best :) Yes, I'm very enthusiastic. I have enthusiasm in abundance and love to share. I think for me the Camino journey is not so much about the learning curve in terms of how difficult the trek will be (I've walked hundreds of miles over the past 6+ years in many foreign lands), but more about the surprises along the way. I don't want this experience to be one of those long haul, focus on getting from A to B experiences while complaining about my injuries. I want to really enjoy every minute I'm on the Camino, take my time a little, do a little side exploring maybe, make some new friends and really live the journey :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@David LOL That's quite possible, but I'll try with all my might to stay off the Guiness the day I'm travelling ;) Actually, I think the jet lag part will be okay as well. I'll be staying in Dublin for a few days prior to my Camino adventure :)
Hi Veronica -
As you're in Dublin for a few days you might have time to try "The Guinness" three ways - one way each day of course! - first day Guinness solo (ie with nothing else added), second day Guinness Shandy - Guinness with Lemonade, and on the third day, to toast your Camino with good luck wishes, you could have a Guinness with Champagne - a Black Velvet. Absolutely YUM!
Cheers!

Hi Veronica -
As you're in Dublin for a few days you might have time to try "The Guinness" three ways - one way each day of course! - first day Guinness solo (ie with nothing else added), second day Guinness Shandy - Guinness with Lemonade, and on the third day, to toast your Camino with good luck wishes, you could have a Guinness with Champagne - a Black Velvet. Absolutely YUM!
Cheers!

@JennyH94 You know Jenny, that sounds very, very tempting. Just one of each and one per day should keep the ole hangover away too! Well, I'll try my best to just have one of each once a day. Wait, what!. . . . . that makes three per day! lol Jenny, I think we might just be kindred spirits :) How about joining me on this trip. What a blast! lol :p

No! But there was no way I was going to leave my tube of vegemite behind. I occasionally shared a little with others who appreciated the resuscitative powers of this wonderful product. That and Tiger Balm! What could go wrong with both of those in one's pack?

@dougfitz I think you might be right Doug! I don't think the words 'vegemite' and 'enjoy' in the same sentence qualify as an oxymoron. Unless of course some people believe the word 'vegemite' means 'poison' (or something similar) . . . . . . and yes, come to think of it, I believe I have actually heard that term spluttered out once or twice before by those innocent and uninitiated vegemiter's trying it for the first time. Anyway, I guess in that context you could then say that it qualifies as an oxymoron. . . . . hehe, just saying :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
She was/ is actually quite famous and a legend in her own right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Pilgrim
Buen Camino, SY

@SYates Thank you for the link. I viewed the link on Wikipedia and then went to http://www.peacepilgrim.org/ to read the full story. She truly was an extraodinary woman. One can only aspire. . . . . . . . :) I'm also interested in your story. Wow, so many miles. Gosh, you must've gone/must be going through a lot of hiking shoes! I'll definitely be taking a look at your blog :)

She was an absolutely extraordinary woman, walked tens of thousands of miles in America 'for peace' during the cold war. Just stepped out of her door one day. Everything she owned she carried in the pockets of that smock she wore, no pack, no spares. One of my heros (there are few) - I would have loved to have met her.

re the train to St Jean. There are postings info on the forum about this - there is a link on another posting above here. I have never taken it myself but do know that you don't have to change. The train station is only half a mile from the street of refugios - you hear folk saying it is a walk "up the hill" to the town from the station but it isn't, mainly level stroll with just a tiny little slope as you come up to the High St.

@David Thank you so much for the helpful advice David. I think I've made up my mind now, that I'll taxi the route (I think....lol).
Re: the Peace Pilgrim, wow! I literally cannot get over that amazing woman's story. She pilgrimmaged for 28 years and walked an incredible 25,000 miles! Truly extraordinary. There's a also a very inspirational video about her at:
. As I mentioned to @SYates, one can only aspire. In my case, I'm not even sure I can live up to my birth name. I do try, but. . . . . . . . :confused:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
NNooo - Vegemite is wonderful stuff! - not an oxymoron at all - now, fun run, military intelligence, adult male, airline food, pilgrim dinner - now those are oxymorons
@David LOL, you're so funny! And SO right! LOL :D

It is easy to get a really nice credential from the pilgrim's office in St Jean and you get a great sello too! English is spoken there and the atmosphere in the place is a good start to your Camino.

@Al the optimist Thank you Al. Actually (shh, it's a secret between us, okay), I had to look up the word 'sello' to see what it meant. It means 'stamp' ! lol. Truly, I don't know what I would've done without everyone's very helpful advice. This is the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of being a member of. You're all the most incredibly friendly, thoughtful, kind, giving and cheerful pilgrims ever! Can I please take you all with me on the Camino. . . . .please:) I don't want to leave anyone behind now :(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are going via Dublin has any one mentioned getting a stamp at St James Gate yet?

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/starting-from-dublin-ireland.6669/

@William Marques Hi William! No, I hadn't heard about that particular stamp. How cool is that! I'll definitely check that out. I also read somewhere that there are quite a few terrific 'walks/treks' in Ireland and some are related to The Way of Saint James. I'll need to check that out again to make sure I did indeed read that somewhere and that I'm not having some sort of pre-dementia mind lapse :confused:

Hi not only can Irish pilgrims start from the site of the old St James Gate but we can get our first sello (Pilgrim stamp ) at the reception area in Guinness' Brewery just across the road. The stamp features a lovely carving said to be either Ceres, St James or (in my opinion the rather more likely) Bacchus that decorates the centre of the archway into the brewery. The brewery's entrance is located on James street of course! Alternatively you could walk down the road a little and get the stamp from St James church or go mad altogether and get both :lol:
The pilgrims scallop shell also features in the Guinness logo as well in the crest of the local hospital-St James hospital.
I started both of my Camino journeys at St James gate and felt it would have been rude, if not downright unpatriotic, not to have a glass of the 'black stuff' to launch my both my journeys!

@William Marques: William, look what I found on the link you posted! (Okay, so I already know that you knew it was there, but how exciting for me!) lol
Sooo, if I can get my credencial (I'm already learning Spanish thanks to this forum:)) before I arrive in, or once I've arrived in Ireland, then I can get not only one but according to @nellpilgrim TWO sella's (more Spanish, lol) AND have a glass or Guinness as @David recommended, or three as @JennyH94 suggested! ;) My Camino Frances is getting more exciting by the minute!

And a Guinness stain?

@Al the optimist: A Guinness stain? Is that like a glass of Guinness Al? Or am I way off track and you're talking about the Guinness that missed my mouth and ended up on my clothing (not that that would happen, mind you) and literally left a stain? lol I guess it doesn't matter either way because I'll still get to try out some highly recommended Guinness :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Veronica -

Lucky you living in the Hunter Valley - what a spectacularly beautiful place it is - gorgeous vineyards too! You must have some fantastic training walks!

If you could get down to Sydney for one of the meetings before you leave, that would be terrific. You'd be very, very welcome. Co-Ordinator Julie (we have two - Julie and Sandra) gives a presentation to new pilgrims which is chock-full of useful information which runs for about an hour, then the rest of us arrive and we all spread out together, eat, drink, chat, laugh and share stories of life on and off the Camino - it's a wonderful and fun group.

At the last Saturday meeting at the beginning of this month we had a couple of our Forum members from country NSW join us - CaminoCruiser and AlanPearce. They both caught the train into Sydney for the day - it worked really well for them. There are many Forum members who are part of our group so we often chat about what's happening on the Forum.

Definitely take a tube of vegemite with you - you'll be really popular with the Aussies, the Kiwis and the Brits! Below is a photo of vegemite featured at the breakfast table at Gaucelmo last July.

Regarding the credencial, The Australian Friends of the Camino, www.afotc.org/ issue a credencial to members. I'm not sure if there is a charge. They can be contacted through their website. Pilgrims in Sydney also have a link to the AFOTC. Ivar sells credencials too and they can be ordered online through the Camino Store on the homepage here on the Forum, if you'd like to have your credencial organised in advance.

If you'd like to PC me on anything I'd be more than happy to answer questions and to help and if I don't know the answer, I will know someone who does.

Cheers - Jenny

@JennyH94 Yes, I am very lucky to be living where I am. The surrounding area is gorgeous and there are many, many local trails that take you right out into the countryside to train on for the Camino.

Re trip to Sydney; I'll check what I've got coming up over the next month and see if I'm able to make it down south for one of the meetings. As a 'new' pilgrim, the information shared will be invaluable and it also sounds like a lot of fun.

Will definitely also check out the credencial information at the AFOTC as well as visit the link for your group :) Also, thank you for the offer to PC you if I have any questions etc. Will definitely take you up on that offer (there really are so many lovely, kind pilgrims here on this forum).

I so love the photo of the vegemite on the breakfast table. It sits very well there as part of the beautiful centrepiece, don't you think? lol Not only that, I spotted TWO tubes, not just one. I think the Aussies, Kiwi's and Brit's might be getting a little spoiled on the Camino :p In all seriousness though, I'll pack a tube or two to share/donate/leave behind at one or two albergues. I don't think that will overload my backpack too much; and besides, if it does then I'll just eat the vegemite myself! :D

Cheers for now :)
Veronica

Hi Veronica -

Cheers - Jenny
Jenny, were they the tubes of vegemite I left behind, or ones that you took yourself?

Sue, my fellow hospitalero from England, was VERY fond of vegemite.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

€83,-
Jenny, were they the tubes of vegemite I left behind, or ones that you took yourself?

Sue, my fellow hospitalero from England, was VERY fond of vegemite.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan
Hi Alan - There was one of your tubes left and I had brought along two tubes, so we had a tube for each of the three tables in the kitchen. The pilgrims who didn't know about "our national spread" were really intrigued ... the "taste tests" were hilarious!

@JennyH94 Yes, I am very lucky to be living where I am. The surrounding area is gorgeous and there are many, many local trails that take you right out into the countryside to train on for the Camino.

Re trip to Sydney; I'll check what I've got coming up over the next month and see if I'm able to make it down south for one of the meetings. As a 'new' pilgrim, the information shared will be invaluable and it also sounds like a lot of fun.

Will definitely also check out the credencial information at the AFOTC as well as visit the link for your group :) Also, thank you for the offer to PC you if I have any questions etc. Will definitely take you up on that offer (there really are so many lovely, kind pilgrims here on this forum).

I so love the photo of the vegemite on the breakfast table. It sits very well there as part of the beautiful centrepiece, don't you think? lol Not only that, I spotted TWO tubes, not just one. I think the Aussies, Kiwi's and Brit's might be getting a little spoiled on the Camino :p In all seriousness though, I'll pack a tube or two to share/donate/leave behind at one or two albergues. I don't think that will overload my backpack too much; and besides, if it does then I'll just eat the vegemite myself! :D

Cheers for now :)
Veronica

Hi Veronica - cheers and thanks for your fantastic post. The Forum community is the absolute 'best' - the knowledge out there amongst Forum members is something that I admire constantly - so much help and so much sharing of really useful information. The fun threads are an absolute hoot too!

As a fellow fan of vegemite I think it's the perfect Camino spread - it's even got the 'Camino yellow' label!

Cheers and happy training!

Jenny

We will likely be a day or two behind you...my husband is an Aussie...so bring that vegemite! We may see you along the Way!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back