• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances traditions and customs

jrosado1

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013)
What are some traditions on the Camino? For example, I understand that there is a particular place to leave a rock, some people leave behind cairns, hugging St James in Santiago de Compostela, etc. What are some others?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know that some of the pilgrims who walk on to Fisterra burn their shoes at the coast at the end of their journey.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Nothing is set in stone, really. One 'tradition' is to leave a stone from your home at the Cross of Iron, but if you forget to take one it's fine. It kind of represents leaving something behind from where you've come from, so you could just pick up a stone somewhere along the route. You've come from there, haven't you?!

Apart from that there are the pilgrim rituals at the cathedral in Santiago. Depending upon how you feel about mass, statue hugging, confession etc, you may not take part in all of them although you'll be welcome to, (except confession and communion unless you're Catholic). Then go out with fellow celebrating pilgs! Buen Camino! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An extract from some articles I wrote on pilgrim traditions in Santiago:

Journey’s End

All routes to Santiago de Compostela end at the great Cathedral which dominates this beautiful medieval town. Legend has it that therein lies the tomb of the Apostle St James who has inspired millions of pilgrims for over 500 years to journey to this place.

The Pillar, the Hug and the Tomb

Each day pilgrims arrive at the Cathedral Square but their journey is not at
an end, they still have things to do.

Entering the Cathedral pilgrims enters by the magnificent Portico de la Gloria. The Door of Glory. It is a magnificently carved triple entrance with the figure of |St James as the centre piece. The Portico is from the 12 century and is the work of sculptor Master Mateo. Passing through the Portico each pilgrim first touches the Pillar depicting the Tree of Jesse where now you can actually put your fingers into grooves marked by centuries of
hands.

Then onto the other side of the Portico to the figure believed to be the bust of Master Mateo. Traditionally students banged their heads on the bust in the hope some of the Master’s wisdom would be transmitted to them. Many pilgrims follow suit. Alas at the moment the Portico de la Gloria is closed for restoration. It can be seen but not touched.

Then to the back of the high altar to rise behind the statue of St James to give him the traditional "abrazo" - a warm hug in gratitude for a journey well made.

Then descending to the tomb of the Saint to pray quietly in thanks for all that has been encountered on the long journey here.

Seal of approval - The Compostela

Pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela carry a Pilgrim Passport with them. They have these stamped everywhere they stop on the way. This document gives access to the network of refuges provided along the routes.

Beside the Cathedral is the Pilgrims’ Office, just like Passport Control! There the Pilgrim Passport receives the final seal of the Cathedral of Santiago. Those pilgrims who have walked at least the final 100 kms or traveled by bicycle or on horseback at least the final 200 kms will have their name written in Latin on the Compostela, the certificate attesting to their pilgrimage.

Pilgrim Mass

Each morning around 11 am everyone starts to make their way to the Cathedral. It fills quickly and by noon it is standing room only. Rucksack bearing pilgrims mingle with camera toting tourists.

At the stroke of Noon intones the entrance antiphon:
" Laudate Dominum, Omnes Gentes, Alleluia" and 1000 voices repeat "All
people praise the Lord, Alleluia". The procession of priests enters, many
still wearing their walking boots under their vestments. A long list of the countries from which pilgrims have arrived in the last 24 hours is read.

The Mass which follows is deeply moving, with different accents and
languages contributing and from the Pilgrims a profound sense of thankful
relief and celebration that the journey has ended.

For them perhaps... but even during Mass still they come...rising behind the
altar and hugging the statue of St James.

Holy Smoke - The Botafumeiro

The Botafumeiro is the world’s largest thurible weighing 40 kgs. Some say it was used as a medieval deodorant when the cathedral was full of pilgrims who hadn’t washed for the duration of their journey. Others say that the billows of incense it produces symbolise the prayers of the pilgrims.

Nowadays the Botafumeiro is swung at the end of some of the pilgrim masses when
a team of 8 tiraboleiros operate a huge medieval mechanism to swing the Botafumeiro the height and length of the transept of the Cathedral.

Much more eloquent than my summary, John! Buen Camino!

Another strong Camino tradition is the wearing of a shell. From time immemorial pilgrims on the have worn or carried scallop shells (in French, coquilles St Jacques). Since the legend or hagiography of Saint James recounts that his dead body miraculously washed ashore in Spain, scallop shells from the sea are his symbol. Artistic representations of James usually depict him as a pilgrim wearing a broad brimmed hat and cape, holding a staff and wearing this iconic shell...

To help better understand the rich history and vast symbolic importance of the shell both for the Camino and for countless pilgrims across time see these other informative Forum threads >> miscellaneous-topics/topic4199.html and camino-primitivo/topic12638.html

For many pilgrims today their shell is a mark of great pride; although physically I may not be there, sentimentally I always "wear" my shell. ...

Margaret Meredith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
These are all so touching, I'm tearing up, I can't wait to participate.

I didn't know about bringing a stone from home. I'm glad I asked! Is the iron cross far from SJPP? In other words, how far will I be carrying that extra weight (and I bet I'll be glad to set it down, which I guess is the point!)?

Well, I saw the smaller or bigger stacks of stones all the way on CF, but mostly at La Cruz de Ferro and afterwards. La Cruz de Ferro is about 550km from SJPDP. There people also leave photos, bandanas or small national flags, plastic bottles of pharmaceutical products, even their underwear etc. That explains what I've read and heard about that custom . that you bring "something" (for example a stone for its weight) from your homeplace as a sign of the burden of your sins, troubles, pledges etc.

The other one was also mentioned already - burning the shoes at lighthouse at Fisterra. But that's kind of a tricky one. Sometimes pilgrims burn whatever they want; T-shirts, socks, shoes,..., whatever but something most possible. I burned my socks for example, but was warned (and later controled) by some kind of a janitor for that it is no longer allowed because of a fire danger.

Another ritual is saying "Buen Camino", "Ultreia" or at least "(H)ola" when meeting someone.

Hope that helps :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The pillar they mentioned above ^ I saw on the blog "girls on the way" that it was tied off. I don't know if that's temporary or not though. I was looking forward to touching it.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. ;)

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

jrosado1 said:

I didn't know about bringing a stone from home. I'm glad I asked! Is the iron cross far from SJPP? In other words, how far will I be carrying that extra weight (and I bet I'll be glad to set it down, which I guess is the point!)?

Suggest you bring a very small stone from home. A large rock would not be necessary. 8)

I went to the farm where I grew up and took a small pebble from a creek there, to leave at the iron cross. The weight was negligible,the satisfaction considerable.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Choweth said:
The pillar they mentioned above ^ I saw on the blog "girls on the way" that it was tied off. I don't know if that's temporary or not though. I was looking forward to touching it.

{Candace}-
Candance, we are talking about 2 different pillars! The Cruz de Ferro, which is where tradition has it for Pilgrims to leave a stone from home and the beautiful pillar in the doorway as you enter the Cathedral de Santiago ( that's the one mentioned in the Blog girlsontheway. And has been cordoned off for several years now). Anne

I've heard they're working on a type of resin to protect the Tree of Jesse from further erosion, so people can touch it again. I hope they do by the time I go. Part of the reason I want to walk is the connection to the past, and ending with that tangible connection to all the past pilgrims who have created that hand print is something I feel very strongly about.

grayland said:
jrosado1 said:

Suggest you bring a very small stone from home. A large rock would not be necessary. 8)
Ha! Maybe a pebble

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
annakappa said:
Choweth said:

{Candace}-
Candance, we are talking about 2 different pillars! The Cruz de Ferro, which is where tradition has it for Pilgrims to leave a stone from home and the beautiful pillar in the doorway as you enter the Cathedral de Santiago ( that's the one mentioned in the Blog girlsontheway. And has been cordoned off for several years now). Anne

My apologies ;)

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back