• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances vs Camino Invierno March (Child 2-year-old)

Tradicional Camino Frances vs Camino Invierno

• Camino Tradicional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camino Invierno

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anylu

Time of past OR future Camino
March (2017)
Camino Frances vs Camino Invierno (March)

Last year my husband left Leon for Santiago starting March 1, and this year we will be joining my 2-year-old daughter and myself. (We leave Leon on March 1). We go in relaxed plan walking as the weather allows us, in case of a very bad we plan to enjoy the village and wait one more day to continue and at worst case take a taxi to the next town for the good of our baby. She wil be “walking” on a stroller/ chariot. Doing some research around there I found that there is the winter road in order not to go through Ocebreiro, last year there where plenty of snow but just arroud Ocebreiro, so we were thinking if we do that route skip that.

Do you recommend taking this route or the traditional?

Do I need worry that for the dates there is no lodging on the other route?

We know that we will have to sleep in hostels and not albergues for the good of the community jejej

Thanks for your sharing

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
there is the winter road
Iexpect that you are referring to the Camino del Invierno that diverges from the Camino Frances at Ponferrada. Others who are more knowledgeable (I haven't walked that route) will probably comment. However, that route does not have a lot of infrastructure, and there are still lots of hills. I expect that there are better ways to make your camino easier with your stroller. Staying on the Camino Frances will give you the advantages of many more facilities and options. You could choose to skip the O Cebreiro part anyway.

Camino Frances vs Camino Invierno (March)

Last year my husband left Leon for Santiago starting March 1, and this year we will be joining my 2-year-old daughter and myself. (We leave Leon on March 1). We go in relaxed plan walking as the weather allows us, in case of a very bad we plan to enjoy the village and wait one more day to continue and at worst case take a taxi to the next town for the good of our baby. She wil be “walking” on a stroller/ chariot. Doing some research around there I found that there is the winter road in order not to go through Ocebreiro, last year there where plenty of snow but just arroud Ocebreiro, so we were thinking if we do that route skip that.

Do you recommend taking this route or the traditional?

Do I need worry that for the dates there is no lodging on the other route?

We know that we will have to sleep in hostels and not albergues for the good of the community jejej

Thanks for your sharing

I did the Invierno last April and enjoyed it very much. However, it would be great deal more challenging than the Frances for you. The area is beautiful but little walked compared to the Frances. (I did not meet another pilgrim before the merger with the Camino Sanabres after Lalin, my sixth or seventh day.) In wet weather – which you will almost surely encounter in March – noticeable portions of the trail will be mucky and you will either have to do road walks (so download GPS tracks before you go to plan them) or somehow manage to carry your baby and her carriage on very modest grass verges, stone fences, etc. (Most of the forest and farm paths have not had lots of gravel dumped in to "winterize" them as they have on the Frances and other more popular caminos. The options for changing plans and staying at a private albergues or hotels are fewer and farther between than on the Frances. (Look at Gronze.com to get an idea for the relative difference.) You would likely cut out parts of the walk to manage avoiding the muck or walking very long days (for example, skip Villavieja and the Castillo de Cornatel and take the shorter road walk on day 1; somehow find a way to skip the descent at the Codos de Belezar; etc.).

People would be welcoming and intrigued by your effort, and if you are flexible, very fit and very committed to not taking the beaten path you could manage it. If your main concern is avoiding snow and inclement weather on O Cebreiro, a combination of timing your ascent and descent to match better weather, road walking or taking taxis on the Frances would be a better choice.

Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would not do the Invierno with a 2 year old while hoping to walk leisurely and stopping when one wants to. It simply does not have the infrastructure to give you that flexibilty.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back