• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues from Coimbra (or earlier)

viajero

Time of past OR future Camino
I am meeting friends (pilgrims that I met last spring while walking the Camino Frances) this April in Porto to walk the Camino Portugues. I will have several days beforehand and am thinking of starting on my own in Coimbra or possibly even earlier (I won't have enough days to start from Lisbon). My understanding is, that from Porto onward, there are albergues and the route is well marked. I have a few questions in the event that I start earlier.
1--If I start in Santarem, Tomar, or Coimbra, is it possible to get a credential in any of those places?
2--On the route before Porto, is it possible and/or necessary to collect stamps (sellos)? If so, as there are not albergues, where can the sellos be obtained?
3--Is the route well marked before Porto?
4--What are approximate prices of accomodation before Porto? I'm guessing that pensions are the main option.

Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you go onto John Breirley's website, you will be able to download two up-dates on the Portugues route with strip maps from Lisbon to Coimbra and Coimbra to Porto. He does say that:
Accommodation is, again, limited on the next stretch to Porto. If you are fit it breaks down into 4 full days of around 30km each (with some intermediate possibilities
http://www.caminoguides.com/latest.html

On the amigos website you can download a guide (or part thereof) from Lisbon.
http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/ Click on 'Caminos' then on Portugues.

Also check out the Confraternity of St James's newly published downloadable guide to this route - available free of charge - please make a donation.

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

There you will find lots of internet resources and information on accommodation from Porto onwards.

When I was on this route a few months ago I met a couple who had walked from Coimbra - "sparcely waymarked horrible busy road walking" was how they described it.

There is quite a lot of road walking from Porto onwards - that might be enough for you.

As you will see in the Guide you can get sellos in all the usual places before and after Porto but particularly in Firestations where they will go out of their way to help you and also provide accommodation - i.e. the bunks or beds which the firemen use. I've met pilgrims who have walked from Lisbon to Valenca doing this.

Buen Camino

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back