• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Suggestions please

dreaming

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, LE PUY
I have walked the Camino Frances and Le Puy Camino previously. I also started the Camino del Norte in August but gave up due to accommodation difficulties. I have an opportunity to go again in July to August, early September solo.
I would like infrastructure but definitely not the crowds I encountered the second time I walked over the Pyrenees.
Thanks for your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depending on how long you want to walk each day and if you are carrying your own backpck, perhaps the Ebro? It won’t have the infrastructure of the Frances, and a few stages may be long. I considered it but decided against it because there were a few stages too long for my liking.

The Arles onto the Aragones?

If the heat weren’t an issue, I’d consider the Via de la Plata or the Madrid.

Kind of depends what you are looking for.
Level of infrastructure, accommodation type, how social you want to be, how long you have, comfortable walking distances.....

I have to say I loved the Invierno. But it can be lonely.

Caminos down South will likely be too hot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would be carrying my own pack, would like some company and about 30 days walking and staying in albergues. walking 25-30-40kms at a stretch. I am contemplating doing the Le Puy again as the temperatures don't seem extreme then.

I would be carrying my own pack, would like some company and about 30 days walking and staying in albergues. walking 25-30-40kms at a stretch. I am contemplating doing the Le Puy again as the temperatures don't seem extreme then.
Not the Invierno then. Too short and no company.

The Portuguese Caminho from Lisbon plus the Finisterre / Muxia add on might match the description of 30 days at between 25-40 km per day. Accommodation is no problem at all, the weather is rarely too hot as the coast is not far away, it's not crowded, the food and wine are excellent, some of the towns / cities are very special and it's Portugal so the costs are not high. On the flip side, some of the walking between Lisbon and Porto is not the best in terms of scenery and terrain, but it's worth the experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great suggestions here! One possibility would be to warm up on the Meseta: Burgos to Leon, then veer off onto the San Salvador up to Oviedo. From there, the Primitivo takes you to Santiago, and afterwards you can walk to Finisterre/Muxia, and back to Santiago. The Meseta will be hot and you've already walked it (though I doubt it will be super crowded and for me it's such a beautiful part of the Camino), so you could start in Leon with the San Salvador, though- even with a Finisterre/Muxia loop- you'll be looking at about 25 stages or so. Still, a possibility!

Depending on how long you want to walk each day and if you are carrying your own backpck, perhaps the Ebro? It won’t have the infrastructure of the Frances, and a few stages may be long. I considered it but decided against it because there were a few stages too long for my liking.

Most all of the difficulties you experienced, and which others are commenting about, are time of year or weather related. Based on this, the logical answer is to change the time of year, por time of day you walk.

This will address the crowding, heat, and accommodation issues raised in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The heat o the VDLP in August is alot worse than an issue it can be life threatening.

Kind of depends what you are looking for.
Level of infrastructure, accommodation type, how social you want to be, how long you have, comfortable walking distances.....

I have to say I loved the Invierno. But it can be lonely.

Caminos down South will likely be too hot.
Very interested Robo in what you loved about the Invierno? Definitely considering it for 2024… Thanks Guy

Very interested Robo in what you loved about the Invierno? Definitely considering it for 2024… Thanks Guy

I'll DM you a video, but for me, the Invierno was..........

Amazing landscapes, mountains, river valleys, hillsides covered in vineyards, remote hillside villages,

Solitude, peace, a variety of trail types, forests, views, views and more stunning views.

I would do it again, but there are too many other routes to try still. ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Portuguese Caminho from Lisbon plus the Finisterre / Muxia add on might match the description of 30 days at between 25-40 km per day. Accommodation is no problem at all, the weather is rarely too hot as the coast is not far away
I walked from Lisbon last year in May, and I had plenty of hot days!

I have walked the Camino Frances and Le Puy Camino previously. I also started the Camino del Norte in August but gave up due to accommodation difficulties. I have an opportunity to go again in July to August, early September solo.
I would like infrastructure but definitely not the crowds I encountered the second time I walked over the Pyrenees.
Thanks for your help.
The Norte is great. July and especially August area very months.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back