• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can We Bring Coffee and Tea Into Spain?

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola! Norteamericana aqui!

Can we bring packs of instant coffee into Spain? And bags of tea as well? And green tea?

What about those electrolyte tablets, like Nuun?

Or will we be considered an importer?

I know Spain has coffee and tea and supermarkets for supplies, but I already tried to search on a Spanish website for a supermarket chain and saw no instant coffee.

Estoy preocupada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Barcelona all the markets had both available. My guess is all the markets carry instant coffee and tea. Not sure if you are allowed to bring those items into Spain.

Can we bring packs of instant coffee into Spain? And bags of tea as well? And green tea?

I know Spain has coffee and tea and supermarkets for supplies, but I already tried to search on a Spanish website for a supermarket chain and saw no instant coffee.

Estoy preocupada.

I guess it depends on the amounts. Usually the only prohibitions are on fresh fruits vegetables and animal products. If you really want to check ... contact the Spanish embassy to your country.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the instant coffee is for waking up at 6am.
I want to know how I get coffee at 6am too. My normal routine is wake up, bathroom, coffee, bathroom. Usually takes me 2 cups to wake up.

Maybe the vending machines in some places have coffee? Or I bring a stinger, travel mug and get my supplies at the markets.

Coffee addicts need coffee. :)

I brought some instant packs into Spain and it was fine. Have you joined the hot water coil club yet? Its great to have coffee first thing in the morning. I love coffee and Spain really has wonderful coffee, but I love to drink it as I get ready for the day.

Yes, the Nescafe brand (and similars) is well established in Spain. No problem at all (apart of the taste....).
And you will find almost any kind of tea or teabags you like. It is a modern country...
Note that not all albergues have kitchens open to pilgrims. And early morning is a kind of organized chaos in the dorms and common areas...Not especially conducive for a quiet and relaxed breakfast. But as possible, it is possible (provided there is a kitchen)
Some albergues offer breakfast, which usually means tea or café con leche, toasts and marmalade.
It is entirely up to you, but I suggest you try to adapt to the Spanish style of things....You may even like it, after a while.
Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want to know how I get coffee at 6am too. My normal routine is wake up, bathroom, coffee, bathroom. Usually takes me 2 cups to wake up.

Maybe.............just maybe...........your routine might need to change ;)

Who knows, you might develop a new 'routine' :eek:

If it really stresses you out, just bring an electric coil and a mug ;)

Last edited:
I know, terrible of me, right?

Actually, the instant coffee is for waking up at 6am. I doubt the bars are open then, and surely they won't serve me in my pajamas!?
The cafe's near the albergues are often open at 6.00 am, as for whether they will serve you in your pajamas - well that will depend on what colour they are!! (Laugh!)

Along the Francese, you will have little trouble in getting coffee (but not much else) first thing in the morning. In many caminos, I have only had two bad cups of coffee in Spain, otherwise I would say that they do not know how to make a bad cup of coffee. However, I have seen nescafe for sale in Spanish supermercados, so you will not be out of luck. I hear that it is difficult to get good teabags in Spain, but as I've never tried, I'll let others' comments rule here.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Let me agree with the other posters. On the Frances, either your Albergue will have a bar, or there will be one nearby. They will be open early JUST to get you your morning coffee. As another poster noted, the situation in the albergue is a bit chaotic at lights on, most people stumble into their shoes, and head for the bar. I never saw anyone try to make coffee in the Albergue, there was no point, and the stuff next door was just sooooo good.

What you don't know is just how good the cafe con leche is in Spain. Most places, its 1 euro. Until my Camino, I thought Italy held the Olympic gold medal in coffee making, but now I'm not so sure......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Maybe the vending machines in some places have coffee? Or I bring a stinger, travel mug and get my supplies at the markets.

Coffee addicts need coffee. :)

Es correcto! I'm the same way. I need coffee to wake up and use the bathroom. Coffee addict for sure.

Vending machine coffee sounds watered down yet expensive.

Let me agree with the other posters. On the Frances, either your Albergue will have a bar, or there will be one nearby. They will be open early JUST to get you your morning coffee. As another poster noted, the situation in the albergue is a bit chaotic at lights on, most people stumble into their shoes, and head for the bar. I never saw anyone try to make coffee in the Albergue, there was no point, and the stuff next door was just sooooo good.

What you don't know is just how good the cafe con leche is in Spain. Most places, its 1 euro. Until my Camino, I thought Italy held the Olympic gold medal in coffee making, but now I'm not so sure......

I promise to try the cafe con leche in Spain. However I also need cold instant coffee to wake up and get going.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Along the Francese, you will have little trouble in getting coffee (but not much else) first thing in the morning. In many caminos, I have only had two bad cups of coffee in Spain, otherwise I would say that they do not know how to make a bad cup of coffee. However, I have seen nescafe for sale in Spanish supermercados, so you will not be out of luck. I hear that it is difficult to get good teabags in Spain, but as I've never tried, I'll let others' comments rule here.

Thank you for the information about instant coffee. So there is some instant coffee for sale. Nescafe is too weak for me though. And yes, I realize the real coffee, the hot coffee in bars and cafes in Spain is terrific.

Yes, the Nescafe brand (and similars) is well established in Spain. No problem at all (apart of the taste....).
And you will find almost any kind of tea or teabags you like. It is a modern country...
Note that not all albergues have kitchens open to pilgrims. And early morning is a kind of organized chaos in the dorms and common areas...Not especially conducive for a quiet and relaxed breakfast. But as possible, it is possible (provided there is a kitchen)
Some albergues offer breakfast, which usually means tea or café con leche, toasts and marmalade.
It is entirely up to you, but I suggest you try to adapt to the Spanish style of things....You may even like it, after a while.
Buen camino!

Gracias, this is great information.

I will try to adapt. However I have been drinking cold instant espresso first thing in the morning for so many years. I might need a trip to the hospital without it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I brought some instant packs into Spain and it was fine. Have you joined the hot water coil club yet? Its great to have coffee first thing in the morning. I love coffee and Spain really has wonderful coffee, but I love to drink it as I get ready for the day.

Ok, you are the person I'm looking for! You brought your own brand of packages of instant coffee into Spain for your personal use and it was fine. Perfecto. No import fees. No declarations at customs.

I don't use hot water for this initial coffee jolt. I'm in Florida and cold coffee is fine, as long as it's strong.

Thanks for explaining.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As self elected guardian of the beer n wine industry of Spain this thread is insulting !!!!! :)

Eroski is a chain of supermarkets that have everything from groceries to credit vouchers for your phone. Here is the link for the online tea and instant coffee https://www.compraonline.grupoeroski.com/en/supermarket/2060118-Breakfast-and-sweets/2060119-Coffee-and-teas/ and it should give you an idea of the prices and what is potentially available. If you must insist on an early cuppa, at least help the local economy by hitting the local tiendas. Just remember small town tiendas may only have a choice of 1-2 brands of certain items and if it is not popular with the locals they may not have it at all.
I walked with a tea drinking Spaniard whose years of working in the UK have left him with an Earl Grey addiction and I don't think he realised how much he was addicted until he couldn't find any from Granada to about Salamanca.

Customs will not let you bring in any animal origin foods so make sure there is no dairy in anything you may want to bring in.
If you are a bit of a tea snob who insists on real Japanese loose leaf sencha for the morning green tea, you could always get one of these:

H999BU082_t2-stainless-steel-flask-aqua-irridescent_PR.png

And if you need more tea leaves there are a couple of tea shops in Pamplona:
Tea Shop San Nicolas, Tea Mundi, and Spicy Tea.

Oh and last thing, just be aware that if you are getting up at 6 am it may still be dark. But sunset tends to be later too.

As self elected guardian of the beer n wine industry of Spain this thread is insulting !!!!! :)

I hope I have not offended. It was not my intention. Admittedly, my instant coffee habit is deplorable.

I will include normal Spanish Coffee when in country. And I will sample the wine and beer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Eroski is a chain of supermarkets that have everything from groceries to credit vouchers for your phone. Here is the link for the online tea and instant coffee https://www.compraonline.grupoeroski.com/en/supermarket/2060118-Breakfast-and-sweets/2060119-Coffee-and-teas/ and it should give you an idea of the prices and what is potentially available. If you must insist on an early cuppa, at least help the local economy by hitting the local tiendas. Just remember small town tiendas may only have a choice of 1-2 brands of certain items and if it is not popular with the locals they may not have it at all.
I walked with a tea drinking Spaniard whose years of working in the UK have left him with an Earl Grey addiction and I don't think he realised how much he was addicted until he couldn't find any from Granada to about Salamanca.

Customs will not let you bring in any animal origin foods so make sure there is no dairy in anything you may want to bring in.
If you are a bit of a tea snob who insists on real Japanese loose leaf sencha for the morning green tea, you could always get one of these:

Oh and last thing, just be aware that if you are getting up at 6 am it may still be dark. But sunset tends to be later too.

Thank you for the link to the grocery store in Spain.

This is the amazing, beautiful, awful truth:

http://www.target.com/p/cafe-bustelo-instant-espresso-sticks-6ct/-/A-47887885

I always bring 6-12 instant coffee tubes with me, to get started, usually Nescafe, Folgers, or Starbucks. Once in Spain or Portugal, ANY supermercado will carry individual packets of instant coffee. Nescafe is very popular. There is NO STARBUCKS once you are clear of airports, unless something has changed in the six months since I was there.

When buying, check to make sure you are NOT buying coffee in "tea" bags. They sell both types, "tea-bagged" and in "tubes."

Personally, I prefer the tubes for adding to a .5 liter bottle of hot water from the sink in the morning. The tubes fit well in the bottleneck. It is not the perfect cup of coffee, but it does get me started towards the first REAL cup of fresh brewed down the trail.

I also rinse and reuse the same bottles (4 of them) until the bottles get "grungy." I recycle them properly, then buy replacements. Curious, when buying a .5 liter bottle, it usually comes already filled with FREE spring water... go figure!

FYI, I carry a small, collapsible silicone funnel that enables me to "pour" powdered protein nutritional supplements from a pouch in to the same small bottles. I have a medical condition that requires I ingest powdered protein over the day. Typically, I combine a flavor like Vanilla or Chocolate with the instant coffee, in hot water, to make a mocha like drink. Again, not perfect, but it fools my brain...

More FYI...I find filling the bottle after my morning shower to be the best use of water. I try not to waste water by running the sink tap until it gets hot.

If the place you are sleeping at offer something that includes heated water in a kettle in the morning, use the hot water to combine with room temperature water in your bottle.

Do not use straight hot water, as many plastic bottles will get very soft, very fast. The plastic used for the bottles, especially if of the thin walled variety, has a very low melting point.

I hope this helps.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I need my coffee to get moving. I am going to smuggle some Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Italian Roast in with me, but don't tell anyone! A little hot water from the tap in a plastic bottle, a good shake and you are ready to go. I will drink coffee when available from something other than a vending machine. ¡Café negro para me! I am also going to bring some Drip Drop rehydration packets available at local drug stores (generallt next to the pedialyte).

Someone mentioned the Electric Coil Club, so I want to give it a proper airing: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

To a more serious opinion, I will also say that I used to buy those individual packets of Nescafe while on these untraveled caminos, but soon found that if I drank two cups each morning and offered a few to my companions, I was going through a lot of those boxes. It is MUCH cheaper to bring a small plastic bag with a twist tie and dump the 250 g of coffee into it, leaving the heavy glass container behind. For the price of 20 or 30 envelopes you have enough coffee for weeks.

I am someone who needs hot coffee in the morning before starting out, but if I were walking on the Camino Francés, I don't think I would bring the coil. The weight of the coil, cup, coffee, and milk is not trivial. On a camino where nothing is open before 8 and towns may be 20 km apart, it's worth it to me, but on the Camino Francés, where you can't turn around without bumping into a café, I would make a different cost/benefit analysis. Personal decision, of course.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I need my coffee to get moving. I am going to smuggle some Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Italian Roast in with me, but don't tell anyone! A little hot water from the tap in a plastic bottle, a good shake and you are ready to go. I will drink coffee when available from something other than a vending machine. ¡Café negro para me! I am also going to bring some Drip Drop rehydration packets available at local drug stores (generallt next to the pedialyte).

Cafe negro para me tambien. And thanks for the tip on the Drip Drop reydration packets

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Someone mentioned the Electric Coil Club, so I want to give it a proper airing: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

To a more serious opinion, I will also say that I used to buy those individual packets of Nescafe while on these untraveled caminos, but soon found that if I drank two cups each morning and offered a few to my companions, I was going through a lot of those boxes. It is MUCH cheaper to bring a small plastic bag with a twist tie and dump the 250 g of coffee into it, leaving the heavy glass container behind. For the price of 20 or 30 envelopes you have enough coffee for weeks.

I am someone who needs hot coffee in the morning before starting out, but if I were walking on the Camino Francés, I don't think I would bring the coil. The weight of the coil, cup, coffee, and milk is not trivial. On a camino where nothing is open before 8 and towns may be 20 km apart, it's worth it to me, but on the Camino Francés, where you can't turn around without bumping into a café, I would make a different cost/benefit analysis. Personal decision, of course.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ok, so the plastic bag with the twist tie works well and stores coffee over time because no humidity?

Ahhh...what you need is STOK!!! I camp out a fair bit...free ad here...Southern Utah is full of outdoor locales worth visiting. Anyway my sister-in-law heard me grousing about the quality of instant coffee and recommended STOK. It is a black coffee shot of expresso in one of those small containers the half-and-half usually come in. 40 mg of caffeine and a self-stated limit of 2 a day.

It is actually pretty good stuff, compared to the generic coffee in a tube. Not sure where she got it as she gave me over a dozen packs. Dare I say it...get stoked!

I always bring 6-12 instant coffee tubes with me, to get started, usually Nescafe, Folgers, or Starbucks. Once in Spain or Portugal, ANY supermercado will carry individual packets of instant coffee. Nescafe is very popular. There is NO STARBUCKS once you are clear of airports, unless something has changed in the six months since I was there.

When buying, check to make sure you are NOT buying coffee in "tea" bags. They sell both types, "tea-bagged" and in "tubes."

Personally, I prefer the tubes for adding to a .5 liter bottle of hot water from the sink in the morning. The tubes fit well in the bottleneck. It is not the perfect cup of coffee, but it does get me started towards the first REAL cup of fresh brewed down the trail.

I also rinse and reuse the same bottles (4 of them) until the bottles get "grungy." I recycle them properly, then buy replacements. Curious, when buying a .5 liter bottle, it usually comes already filled with FREE spring water... go figure!

FYI, I carry a small, collapsible silicone funnel that enables me to "pour" powdered protein nutritional supplements from a pouch in to the same small bottles. I have a medical condition that requires I ingest powdered protein over the day. Typically, I combine a flavor like Vanilla or Chocolate with the instant coffee, in hot water, to make a mocha like drink. Again, not perfect, but it fools my brain...

More FYI...I find filling the bottle after my morning shower to be the best use of water. I try not to waste water by running the sink tap until it gets hot.

If the place you are sleeping at offer something that includes heated water in a kettle in the morning, use the hot water to combine with room temperature water in your bottle.

Do not use straight hot water, as many plastic bottles will get very soft, very fast. The plastic used for the bottles, especially if of the thin walled variety, has a very low melting point.

I hope this helps.

Wait. You're from Florida. What is this creature called hot coffee? How could you?

I drink cold coffee.

Actually coffee is not that popular in Florida. It's sweet tea or beer. Maybe margaritas.

Funny story, went to a local morning coffee and sandwich shop. Naturally they didn't open until 11:30am. I ordered coffee at about 11:45am. Sorry, none is made yet. The girl wants me to wait while she prepares a pot of coffee. I look around the shop to see what folks are eating and drinking. But you already know. Cuban sandwiches and beer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ahhh...what you need is STOK!!! I camp out a fair bit...free ad here...Southern Utah is full of outdoor locales worth visiting. Anyway my sister-in-law heard me grousing about the quality of instant coffee and recommended STOK. It is a black coffee shot of expresso in one of those small containers the half-and-half usually come in. 40 mg of caffeine and a self-stated limit of 2 a day.

It is actually pretty good stuff, compared to the generic coffee in a tube. Not sure where she got it as she gave me over a dozen packs. Dare I say it...get stoked!

Are you my brother? I have Stok in my fridge right now!

Definitely one of the best among the cheap instant cold coffee brands.

I will look around for the espresso shots, that sounds new. But I'm not taking liquid on a plane or in a backpack.

Get yourself a 220v portable immersion water boiler (see photo), and a titanium camping cup. That along with an ample supply of tea bags and instant coffee from home should get you going in the wee hours of the morning.
ultreia
s-l500.jpg

On Camino, I am used to tepid instant coffee, or cold if need be. It is the suggestion of caffeine that gets my cranky legs moving each morning. Getting up at 0600 just ain't normal. Once I arrive at the nearest cafe in my line of march, serving brewed Spanish coffee (think Cuban) all is good.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Cafe negro is how a Cuban or South American might order black coffee. However, in Spain we just ask for cafe solo...aka "just coffee..." With milk is the same "...con leche."

I hope this helps.

Ok, so the plastic bag with the twist tie works well and stores coffee over time because no humidity?

I don't think I ever had a problem with moisture getting into the little bag, and I do keep it in a bigger plastic bag in my pack in case of rain, but I don't think a month or six weeks is a long enough time to have a real moisture problem. This is not high quality coffee to start with, and I am really just looking for that basic coffee taste and the caffeine, so I'm not sure I would have even noticed if there had been some moisture seeping into the crystals.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I hope this helps.
What? No Starbucks? Seriously?

The cafe's near the albergues are often open at 6.00 am, as for whether they will serve you in your pajamas - well that will depend on what colour they are!! (Laugh!)

So no Moconna coffee sticks or chocolate then ?

Estoy preocupada.
Yes you can.
The allowance for entering the EU by aeroplane is up to the value of 430 Euro [Other goods (including perfume, coffee, tea, electronic devices etc.) http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/travelling/entering-eu_en ]
But why??
You can buy instant coffee and tea all over Spain.
Along the Camino Frances many bars will be open at 06:00 or shortly after - thanks to the numerous pilgrims.
Any Chemist and Sport Store will have electrolyte tablets. Do you really need them? In particular on the Camino Frances you would not have any problem to find fresh fruits and food to put the electrolytes alright (in a tastier way)
On the Camino Ingles we carried some instant coffe, and having had a cuppa at 06:00 we started -and- 30 minutes later sat in a bar for a coffee "cortado" and bocadillos.
No worries - as they say "the Camino will provide"
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bring a couple of sachets for the first days, but you will find anything you need over here. Spanish tea is awful, it tastes of watered down cardboard brew, but you can find good English tea in Corte Inglés or Mercadona (PG tips).

What? No Starbucks? Seriously?

Yup...SERIOUSLY! Once you are out of an airport or possibly a large train station where franchise Starbucks stands may be located, you are on the wagon for the duration.

On the other hand, Spanish coffee is OUTSTANDING.

Flew to Rome last week with coffee packets, tea bags, Nuun tabs, and an electronic coil heater in my bag with no troubles. I only brought about a week's worth with me as I enjoy shopping at local markets and trying something different.

This is my third Camino and I agree it's good to get ready in the morning with a coffee or unwind or warm up in the afternoon with a hot tea. It's 14C in Sicily today!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Estoy preocupada.

¡No te preocupes, Norteamericana! Rest assured you will find both instant coffee and tea in convenient stores along the way. As for the Nuun tablets, if your container is sealed you won't have any problem in customs. I brought some with me the first time I did the camino and found out after a couple of days that I really didn't need them. On Camino del Norte there were many villages along the way that I didn't need to either use the electrolytes nor carry the large 2 liter bottle of water, so, that saved me carrying a few extra ounces/grams:)

Ultreïa!

As others have mentioned, instant coffee is widely available in supermarkets, so you should have no trouble finding Nescafe or something similar.

Regarding electrolytes, my step-son and daughter-in-law were able to find an electrolyte drink similar to Gatorade, which was tasty and effective. So, while you can certainly bring your own coffee and electrolyte tablets, these things will be available on the Camino.

As an American who is very particular about my coffee, I was concerned about the strong Spanish coffee I'd "have" to endure while we were in Spain. I feel pretty foolish in hindsight, I had two bad cups of coffee in Spain. One at an inn and one at a cafe. Otherwise, every cup of coffee I drank was delicious, even at pop-up cafes on the walk and in tiny cafes in tiny towns. My favorite was a Galician brand, Candelas. Spain changed my tastes in coffee and food. And long walks...

Buen Camino!

Estoy preocupada.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually, the instant coffee is for waking up at 6am. I doubt the bars are open then, and surely they won't serve me in my pajamas!?

They will be open in 80% of your village stops.

I haven't walked the Francés lately, but this seems unlikely to me. Are you saying that 80% of bars in villages are open at 6 am on the Francés? I know that the Francés is totally different than the rest of the Caminos we walk, and I have never carried a coil on the Francés, but I think that if I were walking the Francés and planning to be on the road by 6:30, I would take it along. But maybe things have changed dramatically, I don´t know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Estoy preocupada.

Why would you want to? Just curious. (cafe con leche is wonderful and plentiful)

Too funny. With the quality and prices of coffee it has, Spain is going to be a very difficult market to break into for Starbucks. Easy peasy in countries who have only tasted terrible dishwater coffee before.

I enjoy Starbucks in the US and most of Western Europe BECAUSE it is the closest thing I can find to a proper cup of brewed coffee in Spain or Portugal. If I could readily obtain a cup of brewed coffee here in the US that was equivalent to what is commonly found in any bar across Spain or Portugal, I would gladly switch from Starbucks.

I do NOT miss Starbucks while I am in Spain or Portugal. I DO miss the coffee in Iberia, once I have to be satisfied with Starbucks...

Just for reference, I leave for Lisbon and my fifth Camino, this Tuesday, 25 April. I begin walking from Lisbon on 27 April. I hope to arrive at Santiago around 17-18 May.

I hope this makes some sense...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
AS others have states Nescafé is found in most supermarkets. We just finished the section from Leon to ScD and found it surprisingly difficult to find black tea. There was an abundance of green teas and flavored teas but limited supply or no black tea in many markets. If your a decaf black tea drinker bring it with you! We brought two boiling coils with us! One burned out right befor we made it to Santiago!

Actually, the instant coffee is for waking up at 6am.

If you are waking up at 6am maybe its better if your bags were outside the bunk/bedroom .
Sunrise is not till 7 -7.30am at the moment and maybe for another month.
When we stay in albergues in rooms containing 4-----6 people , we always leave our luggage outside as the noise with plastic bags etc is horrendous if others wish to sleep in. Its just something we have learnt over the years. The MMDD allows us to select albergues with rooms for fewer people.
Planing the same time to rise each morning reminds me of the saying "How do you make God laugh"......Tell Him your plans.
The Camino brings this home so please be flexible with your starting times.

Are you saying that 80% of bars in villages are open at 6 am on the Francés?

Laurie, somewhere in your family is a lawyer;)
No mate i never said 80% of bars in villages are open at 6am.
I should/could have said that one bar in" A "village may/will be open from 6am.
The Grandkids have listed the following whilst staying with us this weekend , they have had fun and the smarter one put in her IP the word "Panaderia" for villages along the way.
Burgette 6.30am.... Zubiri Bar Valentin 7am........Pamplona , anywhere..........Cizor Minor Cafe Ogipan 6am ....... Puerta la Reina Cafe La Tarreta 7am.........Lorca Panaderia 5.30am.................. Estella Bar Aldry 6.30am........Los Arcos , village square 6.30am ..........Viana El Piendra 6.15am
Logrono , anywhere........Navarette Cafe Bacteria Move 6.00am ..........
Najera 6.30am................ Azofra 7am........... Belorado 7.am ...........and finally
**Ages , in the middle of nowhere , Bar El Alquimista 6.00am
Well next stop is Burgos and i have put a stop to it , the Grand kids are supplying me with more info than i need
I would be scared to inquire Laurie how early they open up in the last 100km for the herd but maybe my % will drop when not in the larger towns on the Meseta.

The cafe's near the albergues are often open at 6.00 am,

The smarties are Mike without any doubt.
Our fondest memories are smelling the coffee before we turn the corner on those bleak mornings.

Last edited:
Are you saying that 80% of bars in villages are open at 6 am on the Francés?
On VDLP, In Castilblanco, we were all wondering why on earth a bar would open at 6am for breakfast on a Sunday.

Turns out it didn't open at 6am for breakfast, it would just not have closed at all. While we were having cafe con leche with tostatadas, locals were asking for CuttySark. :eek:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
you didn't indicate your country of origin

coffee in spain is a big surprise and a big disappointment

my simple advice is to pack some of the Starbucks VIA products if you want homegrown stuff

once there, you can purchase Nescafe packs which work (there are other brands as well in the local supermarket but often the pack sizes are more than you'd want to carry)

the popular coffee in spain is Cafe Americano. Trust me, it's not american coffee. It's a blend and while it's not bad coffee, it doesn't taste like home stuff

in the larger cities, you'll find Starbucks and even Dunkin Donuts but you're better off to stock up before you leave

once on the camino, you can get hot water almost anywhere

There are other 'grinds' of coffee and there are different ways to prepare coffee

pack your own (if only as a back-up plan)
buen camino

my simple advice is to pack some of the Starbucks VIA products if you want homegrown stuff

once there, you can purchase Nescafe packs which work (there are other brands as well in the local supermarket but often the pack sizes are more than you'd want to carry)

the popular coffee in spain is Cafe Americano. Trust me, it's not american coffee. It's a blend and while it's not bad coffee, it doesn't taste like home stuff

in the larger cities, you'll find Starbucks and even Dunkin Donuts but you're better off to stock up before you leave

once on the camino, you can get hot water almost anywhere

There are other 'grinds' of coffee and there are different ways to prepare coffee

buen camino

Wally , when we visit The States we don't bring with us or drink whilst there Fosters , we just enjoy Millers or whatever you guys provide.

When we go to another country which is 1000's of years older than us we try to embrace and enjoy their culture.
Its a good change.

Last edited:
Thornley- Next time you're here in the States, forget the Bud or Miller and try one of the thousands of available craft brews. You'll actually enjoy them and you can experience a unique, local beer, rather than the massive conglomerates.

Wally , when we visit The States we don't bring with us or drink whilst there Fosters , we just enjoy Millers or whatever you guys provide.

When we go to another country which is 1000's of years older than us we try to embrace and enjoy their culture.
Its a good change.

You can find nescafe just about everywhere and for some reason, it tastes a lot better than the Nescafe I find in the USA.
It comes in boxes of 12 and 24 and is VERY inexpensive... like 1.50 Euro for the entire box.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 5
Thornley- Next time you're here in the States, forget the Bud or Miller and try one of the thousands of available craft brews. You'll actually enjoy them and you can experience a unique, local beer, rather than the massive conglomerates.

Local beers in Oz everywhere.
Fosters not sold here over the bar , only exported or made in UK and then exported from there to Europe.
Kirin on tap is taking off here .

buen camino
There are Macdonalds and Burger King too, if you really want to live in a little bubble of corporate junk food.
Cafe Americano by the way is not a brand, it's a way of preparing espresso coffee with a little added water.

€60,-
Thank you for the information about instant coffee. So there is some instant coffee for sale. Nescafe is too weak for me though. And yes, I realize the real coffee, the hot coffee in bars and cafes in Spain is terrific.
..AND, it's REALLY HOT!

I need coffee pre walking to get things going so to speak and 8 o'clock starts are not to my liking
I walked with my sister who needs coffee before she's human. It meant that the first few kms to the first cafe were REALLY fast, and she settles down after that.

I always bring a few freeze dried real coffee bags and always wish I’d bought a few more as have never seen them for sale in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Estoy preocupada.
They sell instant coffee in most shops. Tea is more of a problem, they think Liptons is tea, luckily in my local Mercadona they sell PG tips

LOL. Bigger and better 'production' next year :eek:
Why do I always get sucked in to checking out someone's blog......that just killed another two hours of my day...and that was only checking out the gallery (I shall read in detail this coming week)!! Thanks for posting.....I'm very much enjoying your pics - particulary your digs and foodie shots.

Hope you make it to the VdlP. I think that will be an amazing pilgrimage. My wife and I are 'booked' for Easter '22. Shouldn't really be counting the days....but......!

I take Starbucks Instant coffee packets to Spain, as I consider them drinkable, and Nescafe, not. And I have my heating coil and mug to heat anything on less travelled routes (thanks, @peregrina2000 ). But I have always drunk my coffee with milk, no sugar. It is possible to buy liquid milk in Spain, but impractical to carry it. Spanish milk for coffee comes in a tube, and is always sweetened. I have not seen powdered milk in Spain. Once or twice, I have taken it from home, but if I can't bring it in the original sealed bag (these bags are very large where I shop) I prefer not to try to import it. Yes, I prefer Spanish cafe con leche, but I also prefer to walk the less busy routes, where a morning cuppa is often not available first thing, or sometimes at all. I still haven't figured this out. Maybe a few teabags for black tea will have to be my morning compromise.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Our kitchen was only for staff to prepare the communal meal. But we had tea bags, coffee, cocoa, milk, and a water heater and a milk heater in a separate room for pilgrims. And during certain hours, we allowed pilgrims to use the kitchen microwave (until we installed another one in the other room).

Just bring it…I doubt any Customs folks are on the lookout for coffee. Just be sure your green leafy stuff (tea) is really tea.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.