• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Ivar has abandoned me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garlicbread

Time of past OR future Camino
05/01/2024
Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn.

I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at my hotel and left for the Camino. They have not picked it up yet. They were supposed to come April 29th.

I emailed several times and have not heard back. I called but the number on the website doesn’t work.

I left a lot of sentimental stuff in that luggage and I would be devastated to lose it. The hotel was very reluctant to hold on to it and I am just begging them for more time. I’m pretty desperate and panicking.

UPDATE: got a response. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at my hotel and left for the Camino. They have not picked it up yet. They were supposed to come April 30th.

I emailed several times and have not heard back. I called but the number on the website doesn’t work.

I left a lot of sentimental stuff in that luggage and I would be devastated to lose it. The hotel was very reluctant to hold on to it and I am just begging them for more time. Please help me.
Send a private message directly to @ivar and I am sure he will respond. Use the little envelope icon up in the toolbar.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at my hotel and left for the Camino. They have not picked it up yet. They were supposed to come April 29th.

I left a lot of sentimental stuff in that luggage and I would be devastated to lose it. The hotel was very reluctant to hold on to it and I am just begging them for more time. I’m pretty desperate and panicking.

Seems the issue might be with the postal service or your chosen carrier?
What do I not understand?
You send it to Casa Ivar, yes?

Seems the issue might be with the postal service or your chosen carrier?
What do I not understand?
You send it to Casa Ivar, yes?
Ivar offers a service where your bag can be picked up from a hotel in Paris. I am interesting in hearing how this is resolved as I planned to do the same thing when I begin my Camino in a few weeks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is the hotel saying they will do if you don't have the bag picked up right away? I know it is a pain, but can you pay them a fee to keep it for you until DHL picks it up so you won't continue to be worried?

If you have a DHL tracking number, I would reach out to customer service and file a query as to why it was not picked up and get an estimate of when it will be picked up.

They are just asking me every 5 hours what’s gonna happen. I offered to pay them and explained the situation the best I could.

DHL was closed today when I tried it at 8PM. I’ll try tomorrow. What a pain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
Congratulations on surviving the first day on the Camino under such challenging weather conditions, @garlicbread ! 🤛😻👍
When you have a moment, maybe tomorrow, would you mind please sharing how difficult was that day and how did you cope with the trail? Maybe you can start another "live from the camino" thread as the initial one clearly has been hijacked by resident sofagrinos and sofagrinas :) and it's not "live" anymore
Thanks in advance!
Thank you! I’d be happy to, I got a little caught up with my luggage issue but otherwise it was challenging but so fun. I did make it to roncesvalles.

Absolutely drenched the entire day. It was snowing at the summit of the valcarlos route. Spoke to some people who went Nápoleon and I thought they were crazy. Will go into more detail when I have the chance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good morning... since this was posted here. I have sent 4 emails responding to parents and @garlicbread earlier today. May 1st was a holiday and DHL was not able to pick up. The pickup was scheduled for Tuesday, but I guess they could not do it and they will be doing it today since May 1st was a holiday. They should pick it up today.

Let's keep the conversation going on email. During the night I am not able to reply since I sleep, and yesterday I was only working until 14.00 (a public holiday). So a little patience, please..

We are on it...

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning... since this was posted here. I have sent 4 emails responding to parents and Katie earlier today. May 1st was a holiday and DHL was not able to pick up. The pickup was scheduled for Tuesday, but I guess they could not do it and they will be doing it today since May 1st was a holiday. They should pick it up today.

Let's keep the conversation going on email. During the night I am not able to reply since I sleep, and yesterday I was only working until 14.00 (a public holiday). So a little patience, please..

We are on it...

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Thanks!

@garlicbread are you from America?
I know Americans avoid airlines with bad reputations for example but in Europe things might not go according to plan for many reasons. The secret is to expect the worst so you won't be disappointed.

When I arrived in Spain i made my connection and arrived at 2pm.. my luggage did not.
The following day it arrived at 2pm but i had to wait around the apartment til after 7pm for the courier to deliver it.

In fairness I've had plenty of positive experiences. I put a laptop in a box into a yellow rubbish bag (it's all i could get my hands on) along with a sweater, tied a knot in it, and sent it to Santiago via correos and hoped for the best.
It arrived neatly taped up like a proper package rather than something thrown into a skip

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know Americans avoid airlines with bad reputations for example

Thank you for your input and explanation. Americans are a diverse group. Opinions and experiences run the gamut with Americans as I'm sure they probably do in most countries. I personally find that cultural generalizations on public forums are not particularly useful. I reread your post without the first two sentences and found it quite informative. Cheers!

This thread is about Services by Casa Ivar in Santiago - see corresponding link in the forum menu. It is about a service where you yourself do not have to arrange for sending your luggage to Casa Ivar. It is Casa Ivar who arranges the transport from the get go. See:

We can pick up your luggage at your hotel in Portugal, France or Spain and ship it to us for storage (90 days or more). More on this here.
I had not been aware of this service offer until I saw this thread. I guess I am not the only forum member who didn't know this. 🤔

As already explained, the delay was caused by the fact that the 1st of May is a national holiday in Spain and in France and in other European countries. Carriers like DHL may follow their holiday schedule and offices are closed.

People from the USA, the UK and Ireland may not be aware of this as the 1st of May is not a national holiday in their countries. For example, in the UK and Ireland the 1st of May is a normal working day and the nearest Monday, the 6th of May this year, is May Day Bank Holiday - something unknown to people from yet other countries again.

UPDATE: got a response. Thanks!!!
Ivar os quite dependable. He will respond

Sounds like all is well, and under control.

For future reference for North Americans and others, May 1--European Labour Day--is quite a big deal in much of Europe.

Best to plan for many services to not be available that day and perhaps a few around it, and consider that many Europeans may take advantage of it for short vacations--thus more pressure on accommodation and other services.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good morning... since this was posted here. I have sent 4 emails responding to parents and @garlicbread earlier today. May 1st was a holiday and DHL was not able to pick up. The pickup was scheduled for Tuesday, but I guess they could not do it and they will be doing it today since May 1st was a holiday. They should pick it up today.

We are on it...

Buen Camino!
Ivar
I wonder is there a way we could find out the holidays so when we plan our Camino we won’t run into them & avoid this happening again? That way we avoid stress on everyone yeah?

I wonder is there a way we could find out the holidays so when we plan our Camino we won’t run into them & avoid this happening again? That way we avoid stress on everyone yeah?

A quick internetsearch. The national and the regional ones.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very cool and sooo helpful! Thank you oh internet God! I am not so capable so I am happy that you took the challenge and made it happen! This is most helpful at least to me & I’m sure there will be others to!

It is difficult since some holidays are very local. There are days Santiago has a holiday, but not Padrón a few kilometers away… then think of how complexed it would be if we include Paris, Lisbon and other towns.

The important thing for this shipping service is that things get picked up, after that, in a few days I have the bag in Santiago .. way before the pilgrim get here.

Will check up on this case once back at the office tomorrow. Now bed zzzz

It is difficult since some holidays are very local. There are days Santiago has a holiday, but not Padrón a few kilometers away… then think of how complexed it would be if we include Paris, Lisbon and other towns.
Perhaps one of the Spanish locals on the forum could confirm or correct this?

In Portugal, and I suspect in Spain too, each city/town/village has a patron saint. The local holiday is usually on or very close to that saint's day.

So if you can find out the saint's day for any towns that you think might be problematic, you could check as to whether that was a local holiday.

For instance, San Antonio is the patron saint for Lisbon, and coincidentally, for our town of Vila Nova da Barquinha as well. We have a 5-day festival on and around that date, with lots happening, and in Lisbon it is a *huge* deal. (San Antonio's feast day is June 13). The day itself, or the nearest working day, is typically a civic holiday.

Enjoy the saints' days, if your visit coincides!

Last edited:
I know Americans avoid airlines with bad reputations for example but in Europe things might not go according to plan for many reasons. The secret is to expect the worst so you won't be disappointed.
Wouldn’t you avoid anything with a bad reputation? I’m not sure I understand how you differentiate Europe to America in this way. Things not going according to plan happen everywhere in the world. But I must say being an American we are no strangers to it. How does one think America became a great and powerful nation? By muddling through and having perseverance when things go sideways. There’s really no secret to it. I’m really perplexed by this comment. 🤦🏻‍♀️

@garlicbread I’m so happy to read you were able to get through your ordeal and how you persevered through the rough waters. I’m looking forward to your days ahead, may you have a Buen Camino.
😎👣🌻

The original business matter raised by this thread has been appropriately taken to email and PM.

The relevant side topic of fiestas or holidays is covered by other threads with the tag fiestas/holidays/markets, which includes a very recent thread.

The puzzling comments about national stereotypes need no further discussion on this forum, so I will close this thread.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Travelers looking to visit the City of Light from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will soon have another flight option. Beginning May 23, Air France will start offering a new non-stop...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.