• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cele variente

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hi
what is the cele variente? at the end of may is it o.k to do it?
thank you
ofer

Hi Ofer, both the Cajarc and Cele River variants are lovely. The route splits at Beduer, but be careful because both routes are marked with the same white/red GR markings but they don't say which variant the sign is for. I met two pilgrims who had booked accommodation in Cajarc but accidentally took the Cele route. I wanted the Cele route and ended up on the Cajarc route. I recommend consulting a map or asking a local when you get to Beduer! (From memory, the first set of GR markings you come to point right just before you enter the centre of the village, this is the Cele route, while the Cajarc variant is further on into the village past a chateau).

Bon Chemin
Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
By all means walk the Cele Valley and while there do(!) the Peche Merle prehistoric cave tour!!! Just off the camino variant. If you are considering variations by all means visit incredible amazing Rocamadour - a 60k side trip which can walked or be done by train as a day trip from Figeac. If you are in that part of the world anyway and since its another 1,200k + - to Santiago, whats another day or two?
cite_de_rocamadour_by_night_-_lot_tourisme.jpg

hi
Thank you !
where do i take the Peche Merle prehistoric cave tour? do i need to book before? every day?
does there is everyday train from Figeac to Rocamadour? stay there the night?

hi
Thank you !
where do i take the Peche Merle prehistoric cave tour? do i need to book before? every day?
does there is everyday train from Figeac to Rocamadour? stay there the night?
Peche Merle is just before the village of Cabrerets-signed by the red handprint as found in the cave. Can't miss the place but it is accessable only by guided tour-bring something warm the cave a-n-d it's paintings are amazing. There is a early morning train from Figeac to the station of Rocamadour. From that station turn left and follow a well beaten path six kilometers to the hill overlooking Rocamadour, sit there in amazement for several minutes. The visit can easily be done in a day by return train check in Figeac for times but there is also an albergue in Rocamadour, walk down past all the stores, trinket salespeople, tourist traps, etc past the steps leading up to the fantastic church with it's Black Madonna and there is a lovely small place run by the nuns. Along the way there is a very helpfull Tourist Information office which can help you with the lodging. Figeac also offers the Champollion Museum-truly appreciated onlycby history and language diehards.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a beautiful route and don't forget to do the out and back to Saint Cirq.

It's a beautiful route and don't forget to do the out and back to Saint Cirq.
Saint Cirq is indeed a beautiful place p-a-c-k-e-d with tourists on the weekends and on many weekdays. Try and get there after 1600 when they are all gone. The municipal albergue there is modern and very pleasant.

HI
Where do I take a tour guide to the pec he cave?
Is it one day to pec he cave?
And also one day for rocamadour?
Do you recommend to stay at figaec or rocamadour?stay at Saint cirq?
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,
I will walk Le Puy this spring.
Consider to walk Cele route.
My concern: Is it safe for solo female? The first week of May.

Peche Merle is just before the village of Cabrerets-signed by the red handprint as found in the cave. Can't miss the place but it is accessable only by guided tour-bring something warm the cave a-n-d it's paintings are amazing. There is a early morning train from Figeac to the station of Rocamadour. From that station turn left and follow a well beaten path six kilometers to the hill overlooking Rocamadour, sit there in amazement for several minutes. The visit can easily be done in a day by return train check in Figeac for times but there is also an albergue in Rocamadour, walk down past all the stores, trinket salespeople, tourist traps, etc past the steps leading up to the fantastic church with it's Black Madonna and there is a lovely small place run by the nuns. Along the way there is a very helpfull Tourist Information office which can help you with the lodging. Figeac also offers the Champollion Museum-truly appreciated onlycby history and language diehards.

GR 651 (the cele variant) has been rerouted and now comes into Cabrerets from the North via Bout du Lieu. it leaves the town by the cemetery and goes right past the entrance of the Pech Merle caves. I strongly recommend booking at least 4 days in advance in summer. the number of visitors per day is limited. I didn't book (as I wasn't sure when exactly I was going to be there) and when the nice ladies from the Cabrerets tourist office tried to call if there were any free places for the 13h tour, the people at the cave reception didn't even pick up the phone. I asked them directly when I passed the entrance and they said that they were fully booked till Sunday (I think I was there on Thursday).

Saint Cirq is indeed a beautiful place p-a-c-k-e-d with tourists on the weekends and on many weekdays. Try and get there after 1600 when they are all gone. The municipal albergue there is modern and very pleasant.

the municipal albergue was closed in 2016, supposedly for restoration, although I didn't see anything going on. there is a new private gîte now, lovely old house in the centre, with a kitchen, though I am not sure what it's used for as they only offer half-pension. I slept in a small room under the sloping roof with two beds and an attacked bathroom. the dinner in the owners' restaurant was good, with a view of the town. I shared the gîte with just one more pilgrim, but the day before and the day after it was full. however, because the owners run the restaurant and a bar, it was mightily difficult to get a reservation. I think it took me about five days and about 10 phone calls to finally manage to get one owner on the phone for more then two minutes to arrange the reservation. so book early!
Gîte d'étape de St Cirq Lapopie, 565/302 904.

for more info on the cele variant accommodation you can look at my updated file (which is also in the resources section): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FAqCOf35zAeXpJYjVrLTN2c1E/view.

caminka

@LeiaLane I think the Cele variant is perfectly safe but it is very lonely. I started on it one year but found no other pilgrims, so rerouted through the traditional route via Cajarc and returned the following year to do the Cele with my husband. We loved it but did not meet anyone else doing it, not one single other pilgrim along the whole route! We bush-bashed to get back onto the main route after St-Cirq-Lapopie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.