• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Charging phones/watch/earbuds

Darby

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
I am sure many have asked this before and I apologize. But technology seems to change all the time (including using USB C charging cords instead of USB A). I plan to rely on technology as little as possible on this trip of a lifetime, but unfortunately I will have to stay in touch with work occasionally.

I have purchased the Type C converter for Portugal and Spain. I don’t plan on using the electrical plug, only the USB chargers. This has 2 USB C and one USB A. I have also purchased a charger that is a tad heavy but when laid out, will charge all devices. Also have a 10,000 bank that was the second lightest I could find and recommended on a hiking site.

Does this sound like too much? Would you bring the charger that will do all 3 so it is in one unit. Also what length of cord for charging?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I do want the phone, iWatch and buds with me. I can easily look at the watch to know if an email is important and whether a call is spam without pulling out my phone.

One other thing I plan on doing is leaving at an albergue the converter I purchased that only has the USB A. It will not weigh much and will hopefully help another pilgrim.

I am so excited and nervous!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
USB-A cord is the best choice for Spain, because in several places (buses, albergues...) you will find USB charging docks, and they are USB-A, not USB-C.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm confused about the converter and the charger that you are talking about. All that you need is either your regular charger with a plug adapter or a charger with European plug.

I have this one with a USB C and USB A output.

Screenshot_20230915_062105_Firefox.jpg

If you use your regular US plug charger you can tape a small plug adapter like this to it. This can be a good solution so that you have your US plug charger while you are traveling that you can use in US airports.

Screenshot_20230915_063357_Firefox.jpg

I also carry a 5000 mAh power bank that weighs 4 ounces. It will give my phone one full charge. I rarely need to use it, but I'm always happy to have it with me. I think that s 10,000 mAh power bank is overkill.

I bring a 10 foot charging cable because sometimes the outlets in albergues are spaced pretty far apart, and I have almost always been able to reach my bunk with this cord. The times that I couldn't I used the power bank.

I'm confused about the converter and the charger that you are talking about. All that you need is either your regular charger with a plug adapter or a charger with European plug.

I have this one with a USB C and USB A output.

View attachment 156461

If you use your regular US plug charger you can tape a small plug adapter like this to it. This can be a good solution so that you have your US plug charger while you are traveling that you can use in US airports.

View attachment 156467

I also carry a 5000 mAh power bank that weighs 4 ounces. It will give my phone one full charge. I rarely need to use it, but I'm always happy to have it with me. I think that s 10,000 mAh power bank is overkill.

I bring a 10 foot charging cable because sometimes the outlets in albergues are spaced pretty far apart, and I have almost always been able to reach my bunk with this cord. The times that I couldn't I used the power bank.
That is exactly what I have. Just due to the three devices, I was trying to cut down on cords. All can charge with a magnetic charger plugged into one usb. This is what I have and it packs into a small cube. The watch can only be charged with a magnet charger.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.png
    IMG_2870.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
If you are staying in Albergues you will not always have an outlet to yourself and charging three items at one time can be a problem. I use the multi-port adapter so that I can share with another pilgrim. I usually charge my EarPods while out to eat and then my phone while sleeping. This year, I left the watch at home as I usually put my phone on airplane mode during the day anyway, so I didn’t use data, run down battery and could stay present in my Camino. It was very freeing. I bought an old fashion watch that could light up in the dark. Less cords to carry too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just be careful with your electronics and stay with them while charging. Theft can occur. Some people use the power bank to charge other devices while walking and just charge the power bank. For me that would be extra weight though.

I am sure many have asked this before and I apologize. But technology seems to change all the time (including using USB C charging cords instead of USB A). I plan to rely on technology as little as possible on this trip of a lifetime, but unfortunately I will have to stay in touch with work occasionally.

I have purchased the Type C converter for Portugal and Spain. I don’t plan on using the electrical plug, only the USB chargers. This has 2 USB C and one USB A. I have also purchased a charger that is a tad heavy but when laid out, will charge all devices. Also have a 10,000 bank that was the second lightest I could find and recommended on a hiking site.

Does this sound like too much? Would you bring the charger that will do all 3 so it is in one unit. Also what length of cord for charging?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I do want the phone, iWatch and buds with me. I can easily look at the watch to know if an email is important and whether a call is spam without pulling out my phone.

One other thing I plan on doing is leaving at an albergue the converter I purchased that only has the USB A. It will not weigh much and will hopefully help another pilgrim.

I am so excited and nervous!
I am on day 5 after leaving Roncesvalles. Every accommodation I have been in has very numerous power points. If you have a charger with the standard EU plug, I can not see that you will have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
- and you might want to charge the power bank, and then when you are walking, your phone.
It is nigh impossible to watch your phone all of the time wile it is fully charging...
Old albergues will have fewer power outlets, so your charging spot will probably be a distance away from you while charging and you are dosing off .....
years back you would see power outlets studded with electronics like porcupines, it seems a lesser problem now.
10.000 mAh bank is a good fit!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is exactly what I have. Just due to the three devices, I was trying to cut down on cords. All can charge with a magnetic charger plugged into one usb. This is what I have and it packs into a small cube. The watch can only be charged with a magnet charger.
I looked at that charger but can't justify the weight. I have a plug with USB outlets and a handful of cords to charge my phone/watch/headphones

I appreciate the challenges of technology that are part of modern day living. For myself, it's more of a challenge to unplug than to plug in. I hope your camino goes well and you enjoy the time you have on this walk.

Buen Camino!

This is all that I need to charge phone, battery pack, earbuds and Fitbit. The plug adapter is EU to US so that I can use the charger while I'm still in the US traveling to/from Europe.

20230915_112914.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I looked at that charger but can't justify the weight. I have a plug with USB outlets and a handful of cords to charge my phone/watch/headphones
I know what you mean. I was going to return (purchased through Amazon), but think I will keep for travel in general. I’m going out of town for work next week and am going to see if it is worth keeping. Definitely thinking it would be hard to watch over all three devices at once and of course the weight. I’m just so darn bad about losing/breaking cords. Maybe this trip can make me more mindful!

There are stores in Spain. You can get another one. It happens to us regularly that we leave a cord or charger or adapter. if does, you borrow one from another pilgrim temporarily. it happens but you can get a replacement.

Wireless chargers are heavy and will take longer to recharge your devices than cables with a good charger with enough power (watts) to charge all your devices at the same time efficiently (i.e. reasonably fast). If I were you, I would just bring one charger (EU plug) with 3 USB outputs, and three USB cables for your devices (including one magnetic charging cable for your Apple Watch, because this is the only option for the watch)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a few devices to charge last time.
Phone
Power bank (failed after a few days but never needed it)
Mic for videos
Headlamp

Previously I just used a charger from home and added a euro adapter.

But this time I was trying to shave off every gram!

Realising it is very hard to buy a Euro plugged charger in Australia, I bought 3 different ones on Amazon Spain and had them delivered to my start point Hotel. I checked it was OK with Hotel first.

I ordered three as it was hard to tell the size and weight from the listings.
But all three were fine.

And each could charge 3-4 items at once!

I picked the one that suited me best.
Left one at Hotel reception for anyone that needed one.
and passed another onto a Pilgrim along the trail.

They come with various sockets. I selected this one that has 3 x USB A.
But others had a combination that included Type C and Micro A.

1694832825289.png

Last edited:
Wireless chargers are heavy and will take longer to recharge your devices than cables with a good charger with enough power (watts) to charge all your devices at the same time efficiently (i.e. reasonably fast). If I were you, I would just bring one charger (EU plug) with 3 USB outputs, and three USB cables for your devices (including one magnetic charging cable for your Apple Watch, because this is the only option for the watch)

I think that is what I am going to do. Thanks for your input. The watch is a bit of a pain only using the magnetic charging.

I think that is what I am going to do. Thanks for your input. The watch is a bit of a pain only using the magnetic charging.
Any thought of leaving this particular watch at home or is it a smart watch or fitness watch you definitely want to take along?

Any thought of leaving this particular watch at home or is it a smart watch or fitness watch you definitely want to take along?
I would like to take it along. Unfortunately I have some legal cases going on (I’m a lawyer - unfortunate for this trip) and I would rather be able to simply look at the watch instead of pulling out my phone to check if an email is important. Although I hope my assistant will contact me via what’s app if I really need to know something.

In the mean time, I have found a VERY small and light magnetic charger that I can just attach to my light weight power bank. I am thinking I will just be charging the power bank during the trip to avoid unnecessary weight and charge the items as needed from the power bank.

I am thinking I will just be charging the power bank during the trip to avoid unnecessary weight and charge the items as needed from the power bank.
Some people also like to do this for security reasons. They figure that the potential loss is a lot less leaving a power bank plugged in at the albergue unattended than leaving a phone unattended.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.