• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas & New Years Camino

thefryeguy

Hello from Kansas, USA. I am planning my camino from December 17th through January 4th this year, over the Christmas and New Year's holidays. I will take the Camino Frances, starting in St Jean. I recognize the weather stands to be my biggest obstacle,, but have made my peace with going as far as I am able and plan come back to finish my pilgrimmage in a year or two. I am curious if there is anyone else out there planning on being along the route during this same time? I don't mind a little time for solitude and introspection, but would occasionally like to see others!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“That proves you are unusual,' returned the Scarecrow; 'and I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed.” The Land Of Oz

I posted a Winter Packing list on my blog under the Walking in Winter post. There is also Advice from Pilgrims, 20 tips for Walking in Winter (from pilgrims who have done it) and links to a few winter pilgrim blogs.

http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... inter.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the links and information, and especially the scarecrow's quote. That video is beautiful! I really enjoy walking in snow and cool-to-cold weather, so will be completely happy with anything but a blizzard or monsoon! I am a bit of a solitary-sort, but am working on my long neglected/rusty Spanish so that hopefully I am able to get along without too much trouble, even if alone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting point - over Christmas and New Years?

Good day,

I've really enjoyed rooting around in the old posts about Christmas caminos. I'm unfortunately a little bit behind - I leave in a few days, and I still haven't quite figured out where to start from. I was thinking just before Leon through to Santiago, but would consider starting at St.Jean or somewhere else and just walking until the 3rd if that's a better choice given the winter accomodation issue and general safety of terrain.

Background:
- I've got two weeks (start Dec 20 - end Jan 3rd), which also deals with the Christmas and New Years question of open alberges
- I'm Canadian and done a fair amount of winter walking/camping, so I'm otherwise fairly well prepared
- I don't speak Spanish (though I do speak French) so communication is a bit tricky

Questions??
- Is bedding provided in the hostels? I'm not clear if I should be lugging a sleeping bag given all the posts and the possibility of the accomodation being unheated
- suggested starting locations?
- particular issues to consider for Christmas specifically? (ie, will one of those routes end up in a particularly tricky spot for accomodations over the holidays?)

Hopefully someone's around who can answer this by Tuesday - I'm sure it'll be fine, I might just lose a tad of walking time confirming logistics in Spain.

Many thanks for any help!

-Nikki

Fourteen days will get you from Leon to Santiago (probably). You will find the accommodations open at all the major stops. You need a sleeping bag for the albergues. For hoteles and hostales linens are provided, though heating may be sparse anywhere! Days are shorter, so you may want to plan to be at your daily destination by 1500 to 1600. Your English will be understood in more places than your French.

Have fun! There are still 40 to 50 pilgrims per day arriving in Santiago, though that number will likely decrease

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back