• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2009

Back in 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008.

"It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there are a significant number of fellow pligrims in the mid- to final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we perigrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.
The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2008!
Buen Camino
Arn"

I see we already have some planning their 2009 Camino so here is one for the Class of 2009.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well done William!
I am planning on walking a section of the Chemin du Piemont, the Aragones route and the Camino Ingles in June/July next year.
Last year I met a number of members including Javier near Maneru. It would be great to meet a few forum members on the road.

Commiting myself to undertaking my pilgrimage across Northern Spain, I have found that many of the logistical details that could have haunted me have simply fallen into place. The money, transportation and time for the adventure unfolded easily so now I am, like a prenant woman, savoring the days (months) ahead and trying not to fixate on the future.

My thoughts are all about begining this undertaking. Those around me have little or no interest in my enthusiasm so this is all a quiet dream. So, yes, in May 2009, I shall be happily walking west making my way to Santiago de Compostela. :cool:

I am currently reading The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. I have the start of a blog, but like those who do not say the baby's name before its birth, I feel a bit uncomfortable with sharing it just now. When the time is right.

Meanwhile I am staying in the present and enjoying this quiet peace.

Who else on this forum may be there in May 2009?

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe
http://www.pulverpages.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ginn,
We share your enthusiasm..... this is an experience that we have in common. Have a wonderful time planning and dreaming of your journey.
Love
Lillian

Vezelay to Santiago is a possibility for 2009. I have just received the excellent guide produced by the Amis et Pelerins de Saint-Jaques de Compostelle Voie de Vezelay and distributed by CSJ.

Ginn - your journey has begun!
If you would like a 'warts and all' account of walking el camino - with descriptions of unhygienic, noisy refuges, rocky, muddy paths, loud pilgrims - interspersed with spiritual insights and lessons learned, read Joyce Rupp's book 'Walk in Relaxed Manner'.
Happy planning dear peregrina,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes! Thank you for starting this thread William.
I am well into planning my camino, starting at Exeter Cathedral on 21st April 2009, walking through South Devon to Plymouth, then the ferry to Santander, then wallking to Oviedo and to Compostela for Pentecost (31st. May).
I take retirement at the end of October so can take my time in both preparation and the journey. I've got the hat!

Tio Tel

We will need a new 2009 Calendar for all the 2009 peregrinos.

Sweet-Sil - I am awed! About the same time you posted this book recommendation, a friend of a family member, whom I have never corresponded with and do not know at all, sent me a note (via Facebook) recommending this same book! The woman herself has no interest in, nor experience with the Camino so it is even more intriguing that she reached out and shared this delightful book with me. I love the serendipity of life!

Soooo, now this book is on my Amazon.com Wish List, in hopes it will arrive as a birthday gift! Meanwhile, I am reading "The Pilgrimage" by Paulo Coelho - exhasuting the local library on their pilgrimage resources.

"Ginn"
Or Should I say "Pergrina-Pulver"
In Sunny Santa Fe

___________EXCERPT FOLLOWS_____________
sillydoll said:
Ginn - your journey has begun!
If you would like a 'warts and all' account of walking el camino - with descriptions of unhygienic, noisy refuges, rocky, muddy paths, loud pilgrims - interspersed with spiritual insights and lessons learned, read Joyce Rupp's book 'Walk in Relaxed Manner'.
Happy planning dear peregrina,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another thing to recommend Joyce's book to us 'girls' is that she was 60 when she walked el camino!

At age 60 Joyce Rupp didn’t know what she was getting into when she began a 47-day pilgrimage along the Camino de Santiago in Spain. Joined by her walking friend Tom, a retired pastor, Joyce learned lessons that can help all of us travel on life’s up-and-down journey with more grace and lightness

I am so glad to have found this site!
I'm part of a group of 7 who plan to backpack the camino in May 09. We plan to start in either Leon or Astorga with 14-16 days planned for the walk. I have John B.'s book which I've just begun reading. But I have a million questions.
One of the things I'm concerned about is lodging during the month of May. We'll be arriving in Spain in the first few days of the month. I've been told that lodging in convents/refuges may be tough without hiring a guide who can make nightly arrangements. We'd really like to make this a pilgrimage and hope to stay in simple abodes. Any comments on lodging? Do we really need to hire a guide?
Any other recommendations for planning this trip? Other books, sites?
I'm so looking forward to this trip,
Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome to the site as you plan your trip.

There are big 'bulges' in the pilgrim population in both France and Spain around the major holiday on May 1st, so if you can it would be better to leave a little later. So long as you avoid the major public holidays though, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place to sleep. You have no need of a guide to make arrangements: most of the cheaper albergues cannot be reserved ahead of time in any case. There are various ways to get lists of villages that have albergues- some are online. There are usually plenty of yellow arrows or signs when you arrive in a village to direct you to the albergue.

All the best with your planning.
Margaret

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I too, am planning my 2009 Camino. Because of work commitments I have not been on the site for many months - indeed not since my return from my Camino from Le puy to Santiago in 2007.

My plans for 2009 are tentatively that I will walk from Geneva to le Puy (spending Bastille Day in La Cote St Andre - birthplace of Hector Berlioz), catch the train to Vezelay and walk the northern branch down to either St Palais or Ostobat. From there I will catch the train out to Bayonne (or perhaps walk) and walk the Camino del Norte to Santiago. I was particularly interested to see that AJ has similar plans to start walking from Vezelay. I plan to leave at the beginning of July (yes I know it will be hot) and finish in mid October, as this is really the only time I can take leave.

I have read many books on the Camino Frances and a few on the Le puy leg, but have not been able to find any on the Vezelay or del Norte legs - does anyone know of any? (might have write one myself!)

I would reccomend Kevin Codd's book to anyone wanting to read more on the Camino. It is new out this year, and I can't give you the title (something like Field of Stars) because I have loaned it to someone.

regards, Janet

Hola fellow perrigrinos!
How interesting to read of others preparing for their 2009 pilgrimage/walk on el Camino. I plan to start from St. Jean Pied de Port around April 20. My first and only chance to make the whole route to Santiago.(thanks for the tip about Mat 1st)
I have read several good books on the Camino and I agree with Sil, Joyce Rupp's is among the very best ( I read it twice which is not something I do often).I will be walking alone but hope to meet many interesting folks along the Way. Of greatest value so far has been this wonderful forum and the many knowlegable and kind people like Sil and Javier (to name but 2) who share there wisdom and insight so generously. Thank you one and all.
Buen Camino!
John ( from Canada)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, 2008 didn't work out so well for me, so I'm signing up for the Class of 2009. :) I have been in the hospital lately (long story), but hope to recover in time to walk in April or May, starting again at SJPdP & walking all the way to Santiago. I would like to walk to give thanks to my friends for all their prayers & to God for answering them, as well as trying to raise 1 pint of blood for every kilometer I walk. If it weren't for 9 people who donated blood, I would not be here today, so I want to do something to encourage those who can to donate blood to help save lives.

Kelly

Hola all,

This is Christopher in New York, NY, USA.

I HAD planned to walk my second pilgrimage (my first was in '98) this past summer, but airfares made that impossible.

But I'm happy to report I WILL be walking from SJPP to SDC in April-May of 2009!
Ironing out the last details now, but I should be starting from St. Jean on or about April 16th.
If any other pilgrims will be walking around that time, give me a heads-up!

Christopher

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Quite the review Gareth! :cool:

The local library has only 3 books on the Camino including S. MacLaine (sp?) and the aforementioned Paulo...). I have the Judith Rupp Camino book on my Amazon wish list and a birthday coming up - I can only hope!

What books do you recommend?

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe, Being Simply Myself

Aaaaargh! Put it down. Simply be yourself!

Gareth[/quote]

Ginn, I read both the Coehlo & MacLaine books. I know some people like that stuff & can identify with it, but both books were just too way out there for me. I'm not overly religious or spiritual, but there were points in Shirley's book where I thought "Girl, put the crack pipe down." I will say that you will have more intense dreams & sensations (your body & mind will be tested to the point of exhaustion) & that's okay. But most of Shirley & Paul's stuff goes waaaay beyond that. :)

Kelly

Thank you to sillydoll, Margaret and everyone else for your tips and reading rec's.
I'll be looking for the Rupp book and putting down the Coelho book (tks Gareth).
Chris

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Paulo Coehlo's Pilgrimage was the first book he wrote.
For many years people said that he hadn't actually walked the camino and that it was an allegorical story about a man's search for self (in this case his sword). But, on his very popular website, Paulo attests that he did walk the camino and recently covered the same ground again (with his wife - by car).
His book inspired thousands of Brazilians to walk the camino, to form CSJ's, to become involved on the camino, establish an albergue, assist Tomas at Manjarin with funding, provide stones to rebuild Ave Fenix etc.

Attachments

• Albergue Brasil.jpg
    Albergue Brasil.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6,630
hello

I don't know how available it is outside of Canada but I really enjoyed "All the Good Pilgrims: Tales of the Camino de Santiago" by Robert Ward. I thought it gave an affectionate, respectful and realistic portrayal of the people hemet and of his experiences doing the Camino.

Regards,

John

Hello everyone on this forum,

I'm from Westerlo Belgium and since 2007 i'm suffering from heavy "camino fever".
Is there any medicine that can stop me from going...
I do not believe it was a coincidence that i became interested in doing a pilgrimage to Santiago.
As from i was a young kid, i used to accompany my grandparents to one of Belgium's local pilgrimage resorts, namely Brustem. Believe or not, but my first trip abroad with my parents went to French famous pilgrimage town in the French Pyrenees, Lourdes...
Many years later when i was trying to get a master in Turism, i was told the story of "Evermarus", a pilgrim returning from Santiago, and when passing through Belgium, he got robbed and killded by a couple of bandits. For the memory of this pilgrim, a play ("Evermarusspel") takes place every year in Rutten near Tongeren (Belgium's oldest town). In 2007 i started taking evening classes "Spanish". Our teacher asked me: do you have any particulary reason in mind why you would love to learn the language of Cervantes ?... and than i said..i've never visited Spain before but there's surely one place over there which i want to pay a visit: Santiago de Compostella.
Kick off of my journey to Santiago will be the 14th or 15th May 2009.
I'm very much interested in poetry and popular sayings about the camino.
So if you have any kind of information on that subject, please let me know ...
"Es mejor caminar llena de esperanza que llegar...
Rudy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
vjpulver said:
Quite the review Gareth! :cool:
What books do you recommend?

OK Ginn, only one book will I recommend. It's a book that is not all about the author, but it's all about the Camino! Obviously, any book will tell you something about the author, but the hopelessly self-centred writers who want to tell you all about THEIR Camino, such as Paolo Coelho, Hap Kerkeling and Shirley Maclaine are of no use whatsoever in preparing you for YOUR Camino.

No, I would not even recommend my own recent Camino blog to anyone as a means of preparing for their Camino! That was written for a purpose, as a sometimes quirky day-by-day account to hold attention, create a focus on the charity fundraising side of my pilgrimage, and to share it ephemerally with others; not to inform people who preparing for their own journey.

Read Walter Starkie, The Road to Santiago (1957). You will not be disappointed, nor for a moment persuaded to see things any other way than your own, as you prepare to make your own pilgrimage.

Gareth

Although I don't know what class I will become, I know this trail has already become a part of me. I will take this journey, in fact I feel it has already began. It calls out to me. I have read Paulo Caehlo book as well as Shirley McClaine's. I love the idea of finding one's true self, but really I feel the journey is within us all. I look forward to communicate with you all more, and touching again on that spanish soil.
scallopshell.jpg

It is beginning to look as if all the years I have wanted to do el Camino are starting to pay off and I am planning on starting mid-june 2009. Time off work and funds have always held me back; doing it in pieces seemed reasonable...but not what I wanted to do.

My partner is being transferred from Toronto to Edmonton (Canada) next year , this will mean that I will be out of work until I find a job. I've decided to bump up my "mid-life crisis" and take the opportunity and time to do this...providing I can be brutally frugal and save every penny between now and then.

I've started doing my research and have begun walking 10.5k a day home from work (with my laptop and things in my pack). I know street walking is entirely different than trail/gravel/mountain walking but it will at least get me into better shape.

Looking forward to my first Camino!

D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, for me, road walking was harder on me physically than trails, rocky or muddy and the ups and downs as well. Something about pavement and my bones......
So you will be perfectly fit.
Lillian

MermaidLilli said:
Well, for me, road walking was harder on me physically than trails, rocky or muddy and the ups and downs as well. Something about pavement and my bones......
So you will be perfectly fit.
Lillian
Same for me Lilli. I could slide around in mud all day and my muscles felt fine; I could climb up and down mountains without ill effects; but give me flat roads and I was in trouble! In fact, to try and reduce the problem I have just visited a physiotherapist who was excellent, and who gave me some new stretches. I have just done some walking this weekend, as finally the sun shone here, and my muscles got stiff again. One of the new stretches worked an absolute treat to fix the problem! I think you could safely say that walking flat road parts of the Camino has made me much more aware of the need for stretches....
Margaret

Hi Ginn,
I too have read many books on the Camino. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn 't recommend any of them. They are nice reads (some, at least), but none prepare you for the reality of the Camino de Santiago.

It is unlike anything you have experienced in your life. And every Camino is different. The two times I have walked were so totally different they can barely be compared. Every member of this forum (too many to name specifically) have each had unique and personal experiences on the Camino. Yours will be unique as well. Your Camino will be determined by many factors - some within and some beyond your control.

I had one particular moment when I stood alone (really alone!) in the woods of Galicia, shouting at the top of my lungs to God, Santiago and anyone else who cared to listen (in very colorful language) that it needed to simply STOP raining! It was a long day, I had walked in the rain and wind all day, and I was NOT a happy pilgrim. Needless to say, the rain continued and so did I. Once my tantrum was over, I plodded on, finally arriving at my destination. But that was not a defining moment of the Camino. Just a blip...about which I can laugh now.

I would just say, don't plan overmuch. You need to be flexible and willing to accept what the Camino throws your way. When I was in Moratinos, Rebekah and I talked about being "in the moment" and I think she had it right. Being in the moment on the Camino allows you to experience it fully - not where I "have to be" or "want to be" but where I am.

Buen Camino,

Nothing can put us in the moment and each of us must live each moment of our life on our own terms, but that does not keep me from reading voraciously about aspects of life that interest me. Seeing the world through the eyes of another can make one more aware.

The MacLane book and Coehlo book do not inspire me, yet they do make me think about why people do things and what they focus on as they attempt to move forward.

For me, this walk will be about footsteps of gratiude for the rich, full life I have lived. It will be about simply getting up each day and living that day with grace and finding joy and beauty in even the most difficult moments. It is about character and integrity, gratitude and faith. And that is how I try to live my life.

Like childbirth, dealing with death, dying and seperation, facing diseases, falling in love, marraige, striking out on our own, and all the many other challenges one goes through, the lessons each learns are personal and unique to that individual. We see, feel, learn what we are ready to absorb. And what we learn from an experience may surprize and delight us more than what we set out to learn. At least that has been my experience as I have navigated through the storms and sunshine of a life lived large.

No, my walk will not be your walk...but I continue to read and gather whatever I can about the adventure ahead.

Just a few thoughts as I look out on the steady rainfall in usually sunny Santa Fe...

Life is good...

"Ginn"

WolverineDG said:
Santos! I had been wondering about you! :) When do you plan to start your Camino? I'm going to walk from Roncesvalles starting in September (I hope). Buen Camino!!

Kelly
i was goin to do it may 08 but last winter i went flying down about 150 straires and hurt my hip and back :( then deside NOT this year!
id like to be in santiago for my 33 B-day may 4th 2009« for that i would have to leave around the same time then last time :oops: april in st-jean
let hope NO snow and weather is nice in st-jean id like to walk the mont to the top on first day :(
if weather not good ill be taking the road all the way to roncesvalle or may be ask ppl if ANYONE wanna take taxis to rocesvalle (LAST TIME I SAW ALOT OF PPL ARRIVING BY TAXI) and since ive walk that part already i wouldnt mind if weather aint good!
and this time it sleeping bag close on my back et RIEN d`AUTRE well my money passport THATS ALL im bringing wit me!
thanx for thinking of me :) Hi silly! i know your somewhere near :) and others HI! :lol:

Hey Santos!! I wondered what had happened to you - even checked the website link on your profile but couldn't work out how to find you in all those hiking, camping, touring links!
PLEASE, please, please ... don't start in early April again! I don't think I could bear it if you got snowed out again! Remember that the snow falls in Pamplona, and further along the camino - not just in St Jean and Roncesvalles.

I posted this post and picture in April this year:

Apr 05, 2007 6:26 pm
Hola
Very tired but got here from Villamayor, around 30km. Weather better but it was snowing last night. When I got to Los Arcos I read with sadness in a newspaper in a bar about the British Pilgrim who died in the snow. It brought home to me how it is a serious walk in that area especially in poor weather conditions.

Give yourself the best possible chance of walking the whole camino this time Santos - spend your birthday in St Jean!! Walk over the pass with spectacular spring flowers and birds calling, baby storks clapping their beaks as you pass by, everything green. Arrive safe and happy in Santiago in June. You deserve it after what happened last time and the disappointment of not being able to go this year.
Pilgrim hugs,

Attachments

• Pamplona%20to%20Logrono.jpg
    Pamplona%20to%20Logrono.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 909
:oops: i know silly!
what happend to me shouldnt of happend
coming from canada the great white north 3 feet of snow or -3c aint nothing (well it was that day)
i wasnt prepared for winter again and didnt think it would have snow and cold
i was pack up wit extra weight that got me very fatigue fast witch came time to survive i was all confused witch body tempature go down fast cause by this time in the trail i shouldnt of tooken (where i hit the snow)i was stoping every 5-10 feet that made thing worst and if i remember good i was lost more like took wrong part of the trail witch i had to turn back.then i remeber seing a guy ask me if i was ok!? i told him i was all good got out look around and wasnt there then i knew either he wasnt there or ????he just ran off :?: thats when things started to go even worst! wow remebering all this now aint to good hein!??something just went wrong that day i think i was just to excited by doin this. i realy wanted to do this for me friend santos :(
my spanish friend he just didnt get how thing went wrong he was like come on you live in -30 and do camping « that got to me the wrong way and made me think! sleeping bag money passport and doin it in the winter :twisted: go to show them!

no realy it the only part of the year i can take more then 4week off
see iv got from mid march to mothers day its why iv got to be on the route to santiago and be back the friday b4 mothers day witch is 7-8 may :? if im not at work for mothers days ill be out of the restorent biz (its the most importent days of the year and Mother come 5000miles away to look at her invesment) and POPS only give 4 weeks (for this few day extra) he sayed got to be at RESTO the sec mother show up or say BYE BYE to your dream of having anything she got :( ill be out of ...! so you know ive got that time they dont care about anything i do itthat time beside i make it came in time for her it all ppl around me talk about like like shes evil well she is i think its called
MONOPOSE?? well she got that 1000% over :evil:
so me please mother on mothers day and rest of the year i just bolck them hears (say f...y.. you evil ...)but ask me about my mother ill tell you shes DEAD end of story dont wanna talk about it!! but on monster day :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone,
Hope you don't mind if I post an brief introduction. I'm Alex, known on this site as "Gyro", which is short for Gyrovague.

I completed the Camino Frances (starting at St Jean) in 99. Last year, I completed the Via de la Plata (a joyful 1000 km from Seville).
And now I am planning to tackle the Camino Portuguese from Porto (Oporto) to SdeC hopefully in April 2009.

I suppose you could call me a serial pilgrim.

I lived in Barcelona more than 20 years ago and learnt about the "French route". Reading David Lodge's "Therapy" in 1997 spurred me to try the Camino Frances.

And even now, I still have difficulty in describing the difference between a pilgrimage and a long distance walk.....

So, if anyone has any advice, on any topic, about the Camino Portuguese, I would be so glad to hear it.
Gyro

I just purchased my air/flight tickets. April 6, 2009 The comittment is made, now to the details.
and have been attending a series of lectures about the architecture of the churches along the Camino, because a friend heard about my plan to do the Camino. They say once you make a comitment the world works in mysterious ways to help accomplish it. I too, will seek out the books recommended in this thread of conversations.

Hi, I'm intending to walk the Camino de Levante from Valencia after Easter, although I will probably depart from the established route at times as I wish to visit as many places associated with St John of the Cross as possible, for example Segovia.

Andy

andy.d said:
Hi, I'm intending to walk the Camino de Levante from Valencia after Easter, although I will probably depart from the established route at times as I wish to visit as many places associated with St John of the Cross as possible, for example Segovia.

Andy
Dear Andy,
I envy you. The idea of committing oneself to that Camino is so daunting, I can't imagine tackling this until I was retired. I would love to know about this route. Can you tell me which, if any, sources of information you are using?
Kind regards
Gyro

Hey there, am planning on heading off for my second camino around early september 2009. I will be starting after 6 weeks in Africa so will make the decision closer to the date whether to tackle the Le Puy- SdC route or just leave from St Jean. Hmm, thats got me thinking, is their any pilgrim routes running from Africa to SdC. I guess it wouldnt be much of a stretch to get to Seville and join the Via de la Plata from Morrocco. Oh well, maybe next time :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Andy,
I envy you. The idea of committing oneself to that Camino is so daunting, I can't imagine tackling this until I was retired. I would love to know about this route. Can you tell me which, if any, sources of information you are using?
Kind regards
Gyro[/quote]

I'm in the process of getting the new guidebook by the Valencian amigos:

http://www.vieiragrino.com/camino/camino.html

Hopefully this will do as a main source - see the CSJ site for more info. When I depart from the "official" route, it'll be down to map and compass. Finance means that I can't afford to b&b every night, so I'll be taking my trusty bivi bag and stove with me, which although means extra weight, means I have flexibility on where I stop for the night.

Andy

I am planning on walking el camino frances starting in mid-August 2009. My folks are from Euzkadi and Gallicia originally (left as children) and I have never been there, this seemed a great way to 'discover my roots'. It's an exciting prospect but a little daunting ( a long way from Australia and home). Anyone out there palnning on being 'on the road' at this time?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Ruben, I will be in St Jean around the 18th August, but it is my intention to walk out to the coast and do the Camino del Norte. I have to be in Santiago by the 30th Sept as that will be the end of my 90 days that I am allowed in the Schengen States (I arrive in Paris on the 4th July ready to walk from just out of Vezalay) Because of the impossibility of getting a longer visa than the 90 days - for Australians - I have had to abandon my original plan of walking from Geneva to Le Puy, before going to Vezelay. It is a shame because the more countries that join the Schengen States the harder it is for we Southerners to stay in Europe. The only way we can stay for longer than 90 days is to have all our accomodation reciepts beforehand - a little difficult to do when one is on a pilgrimage! Who knows - if I don't see you in St Jean, I may well see you in Santiago. best wishes with all your planning. Janet

Janet.... are you sure about the 90 day thing? Here in New Zealand, we still have bilateral agreements with many of the Schengen countries that allow us to stay 90 days in each, ie 90 days in France and 90 days in Spain. They have talked about maybe getting rid of those agreements at some stage, and restricting us to the 90 days total, but so far we still seem to be allowed to use 90 days in each.

This is from a NZ Government website:
http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/destinations/europetips.shtml
"Visa-free access for New Zealand visitors to Schengen area countries

New Zealand passport holders are able to spend up to three months in each of the Schengen area countries listed above. This is because New Zealand has bilateral visa waiver agreements with them, which allow New Zealanders to spend up to three months in each country separately as opposed to a total of three months out of every six months in the Schengen area as a whole (which citizens of some other countries are entitled to). The European Commission has confirmed that these agreements continue to be valid.

In light of the recent changes to border controls in Europe, New Zealand travellers should contact the embassy or consulate of the Schengen countries they plan to visit to get the latest update on visa requirements if they plan to stay in the whole Schengen area for more than three months."

Margaret

So far Margaret, the only information that I have been able to find out is 90 days total stay for all schengen states. Omar (from forum) has also been researching the same thing too and he has the same answers as me. Basically unless one can provide the receipts for accomodation for the entire period (plus a whole lot of other stuff as well) it is not possible. When I booked my flight the other day the travel agent took the trouble to warn me that should I overstay, I would be "red flagged" which would mean entering any other country I chose to visit, not in the Schengen States, would have something pop up on my passport saying that I was a person who had overstayed visa regulations. It is unlikely to stop them from admitting me, but it could be made more difficult.

I sent an email (complete with my itinerary - to show what I was doing) to the French Consul here, and I will copy the reply I got from her below. Cheers, Janet

The problem that you will encounter with your visa application is in regards to the accommodation booking. You must provide all bookings to the consulate in Sydney. If one night is missing they will not give you the visa. I am sorry but the itinerary is not a proof of accommodation what you need are receipts of booking from hotels or bed and breakfast etc...

Your best option is to shorten your stay and go only for 89 days.

Kevin (Omar) and I have also had a chat off forum about this.
I called the Italian Embassy in South Africa to ask what we could do if pilgrims wanted to walk the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome - ± 1900km. (90 days is a bit tight!)
They said that 90 days in any 6 month period is the maximum time allowed on the Schengen Visa. You can spend 90 days in one country but then you can't travel to any other countries.
I asked the Italian Embassy if they would consider an extra 10 days for VF Pilgrims and she said that all 28 countries would have to agree - not just Italy. Until now, one didn't need a visa for the Swiss section of the VF but from 5th December Switzerland will join the Schengen States and visas will be required.

I did a bit of googling. As far as I can tell, NZ still has bilateral agreements in place with each country in the Schengen area. And the reason that perhaps Australia doesn't might be to do with lack of 'reciprocity' due to its new system for getting an 'electronic travel authority', and its differential treatment of more recent members of the EU.

It seems that NZ has achieved 'reciprocity' with all members of EU for granting of visas. But Australia hasn't. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:52007DC0533:EN:NOT See section 4.1 for Australian discussion.

Also found another recent Spanish site that seems to differentiate NZ and Oz a little: "Nationals of many other countries, including Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland and the USA, do not need a visa for tourist visits of up to 90 days in Spain, although some of these nationalities (including Australians and Canadians) may be subject to restrictions in other Schengen countries and should check with consulates of all Schengen countries they plan to visit." http://www.polibea.com/turismo/ingles/useful.htm
Margaret

Hello, this is a great thread!

I'm planning my second Camino in 2009.
I haven't yet decided if I will go in the Spring or Fall.
I plan on walking both the Portugues and the Via de Plata.
I did a portion of the Portugues from Porto to Santiago, and the entire Frances in 2006.

I'm very excited about returning to Spain and look forward to finding help with my planning on this wonderful forum! :p

Lucky you 90 days in each country! Count your blessings Margaret! I wanted to stay for 96 days - just 6 days over - but it seems no joy!

I have suggested to Kevin (Omar) that we should do some lobbying because with each country that joins the Schengen States the (90) days are not increased. Now that Switzerland is joining that means there is not even a few days leeway as one walks through there on the via Francigina. We can't even start a pilgrimage in Poland (where there are apparently paths) without haveing to come back later to finish it as they are now in th4e Schengen States. More and more countries are joining the Schengen States and yet the time allowed in those countries for us remains the same. We pay so much to get there (around $1,000 aud in taxes alone!) that, for us, it is much more sensible to stay longer if at all possible.

I know pilgrims tend to be somewhat frugal, but nonetheless there are enough of us to make an economic contirbution to the various villages that we walk through, which in turn benefits the whole region. I have noticed the difference in some of the villages I have walked through in both 2005 and in 2007. One example is that there were more young people working in the restaurants and bars, surely a good thing for the village if their young people can stay - it keeps money in the area and also allows these folk to stay within touch of their families instead of migrating to the big cities. Perhpas we should start another thread about it so that people can contribute ideas as to what could be done.

Cheers, Janet

Hi Lilian, You're right - I don't think that they would find pilgrims very easily, as quite often there is no trail of where we have been (as far as the authorities are concerned). However, my concern is when we actually leave the country, then our passports would show up that we have overstayed our visa. According to my travel agent, that would mean I would then be red flagged as someone who had flouted immigration rules and needed to be watched. It might, in turn, then jeopardise a subsequent visit to Europe, and indeed could impact on visits to countries such as yours. Cheers, Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hi janet
England and Ireland are not part of the schengengen states,so in order to extend your stay why not visit there,6 months max for australians.
no one can visit australia without a visa!! even if your changing planes and not leaving the airport a 70 hour visa is required,
i don't know the spanish but the french have a "cart-de-sejour" for people wanting to extend their stay past the 90 days.
check out travellerspoint.com "europe for 1 year thread"
Ian
http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com

Sagalouts,
Janet is not wanting to spend longer in Europe in general: she wants about 96 days to walk the itinerary she has planned, which includes routes in France and Spain. (It is not her first Camino.) That is why the Schengen 90 day limit is an issue for her.
Margaret

Hi, I'm so glad I've found this website.

I'm planning my first Camino for May or June 09, but I've been drawn to it for years - since I read an article in a local Oz newspaper. My sons are finally both old enough to fend for themselves while I make my pilgrimage.

Looking forward to the next 8 months, planning, preparing, and of course walking. :)

JanetK

Sagalots-there is a separate post for this schengen visa thing and on it I've mentioned that going over to the UK for a while then returning to Europe is not an option because the 90 days limit refers to any 6 month period. The French embassy sent a whole lot of info on how to stay longer but it's pretty impractical-ALL accom has to be pre booked and paid for.

Welcome Janet,

You wil find all the information you need to answer whatever questions you might have about the Camino on this site! So many people here have made the pilgrimage multiple times. We are a quite diverse group from all corners of the globe!

Enjoy your planning - but don't plan overmuch...the Camino has it's own way. :)

Buen Camino,

Hi
I did SJPDP to SDC this year started Aug 8 tand finished Sept 11. It was a great experience and the best was the people you met at the end of the day.
I hope to do the Via De La Plata starting early June 09 and I hope time will be my own so I will not be interested in 40Km+ per day if it can be avoided. Is there anybody else out there with a possible similar agenda?

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi to All :)
I've done a little research on the Schengen situation for Aussies via a relative who works for UK Immigration in a Schengen country.
She reports that according to the Manual an Aussie is Visa Free for a 90 day period in each member state. There is no border between Schengen countries and officialy there is no Passport control. There may be spot checks and possible interview in a Schengen country but this is unlikely to be an issue. :)
I think this is pretty good but the best opinion if anyone feels insecure is to contact their own Embassy/Foreign Office.

Buen Camino to All,

Brendan

Sorry Brendan, but that information is incorrect.

Australians can enter the Schengen Zone, visa free, for a period of 90 days out of every 180 days. This applies to the entire Zone. It is definitely not 90 days per country - how I wish it was!

Passports are not stamped these days, but are often scanned on entering the zone, at first port of entry. While there are no border controls, and one can easily spend several months walking through France and Spain without detection, problems can occur when departing the Zone. This is where immigration is likely to ask questions about the length of time a person has been in the Zone, and people have been banned from entering Schengen countries for several years.

More importantly, if a person needs is injured, becomes ill and seeks medical attention, or comes to the attention of authorities for any reason, then the passport and entry details will be checked, with the possibility that the person will be deported at their own cost. Medical insurance will also be invalid if the visa is breached in any way.

Which is exactly why I have modified my palnned pilgrimage next year to 90 days instead of the 98 which I had originally planned! I am dissapointed, but it was just too hard to even attempt to get a visa for the extra days, as a pilgrim. As a tourist who prebooked all accomodation it probably would have been possible, but as a pilgrim who doesn't usually know from one day to the next where one would be staying it is just too hard.

I was thinking about this earlier and how it affects the economy. OK I am not a big spender, but nonetheless I will be putting money into the local economy, as do we all when we are on the Camino / Chemin or the Via Francigina. In my case, the Schengen states involved have lost 8 nights / 9 days of my "tourist" dollar, and instead I am going to investigate England for that time before heading home. My 8 days of travel would not amount to much, but multiply that by a 100 pilgrims and it starts to get bigger and then of course multiply it by a 1,000 and it is worth even more.

There is now a seperate thread about the Schengen States and it would be great if people could make suggestions on what we could do as pilgrims to perhaps institute change, recognizing that the wheels of beauracracy grind very slowly.

Cheers, Janet

My husband and I are hoping to travel from Western Australia to walk the Camino Frances next year. Our original plan was to start in April, but hubbie has gone to work in Antarctica until March. So we are now leaning towards starting in early/mid September as we would prefer to avoid the larger crowds. Cheers.

Hi Lisa, I have been on the Camino (starting the Camino frances ie) around the 4th / 5th Sept. in both '05 and '07 and both times it was pretty crowded - very noticeable after walking in France. If you are able to start a week later I think it would be even better. It may mean it will be colder when you get to Galicia though and so you may have to weigh up crowds verses risk of more inclement weather. regards, Janet

If you want to avoid crowds why not consider another route? My first was from seville in 2006 and it was a memorable experience. This year I walked from Granada and once I joined the VDLP at Merida I noticed more pilgrims than were present in 2006 but nothing like the cf. If time is limited you could start from Merida which is about 780kms to SDC.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I guess it is really a balancing act of what we would like. This would be our first Camino, and first time in a non - English speaking country. I don't really want to be racing to get a bed every night, but that would be the only reason to avoid crowds. I guess when I say crowds, I mean above the capacity that can be easily accomodated. Camino Frances appeals because it is so well marked, guide books etc. also with other pilgrims around communication could be easier I guess. Neither of us speak anything other than English, and I am not really sure how much of a language you can learn in those 6 week adult courses ( plus CDs at home). Howvere we are still at a stage where we are keeping open(ish) minds, and I am reading about other routes.

Hi Lisa, Although there were many crowds last year when I walked in September, I never had to "race" for a bed. I refused to get into that mode, and although I often left very early in the morning it was because I wanted to, not because I was rushing for a bed. I would spend a leisurely day stopping and looking at things, chatting to friends and so on. I always had the attidude that if the worst came to the worst ,and there was no bed I would look for a pension or go onto the next village. I had at least 6 days when I didn't get into the village / town until 7.30 - 8.00 but still I found a bed (usually, but not always, at that time it was in a pension or hostal though, as a treat for myself). Janet

Having walked from Pau to Finistere in April/May this year, I thought I could resist the urge to do another camino until 2011, when I plan to walk from Malaga. I might as well tell the tide not to come in. I am in the midst of making plans to walk the Camino del Norte in August/September/October next year, and am looking forward to a very different but still enjoyable trek. The world economy might be going south but I don't care - I am going to Spain!

Buen Camino

Alan

Well here goes again for me too. A friend and I are taking a cruise to Spain from Ft Lauderdale and arriving in Barcelona on April 30. My first time on a cruise so am very excited. She will move on but I am going to walk again.
Problem is I am torn at which Camino to do. Very much wanting to walk from Belgium. Don't know why, but I feel pulled to trek through those northern countries as well, especially after getting to know people who have walked that far and from the wonderful stories I find here and on people's blogs. On the other hand, the Via was such a great experience I would like to repeat it. I actually have a stretch I did not complete, so feel compelled to go there.
So many trails, so much time.
Lillian

Gosh Lillian you've taken to boats (or is it ships?) now! The cruise sounds wonderful. I'm sure you could charm the captain into sailing you round to Ferrol or A Coruna and you could walk the Camino Ingles! :)

Abrazos

John

Hi folks,

I am a walkaholic from the beautiful island of Alderney in the Channel Islands. My life has been typified by wanting to do things that are "not ordinary" - don't ask me why - I don't know, it just happened that way. Now at age 63 I am getting worse not better hence my plans for walking the Via Podiensis (le Puy to Santiago) during Lent 2009 - yes, Lent (I did warn you). That's about 40 kms. per day for 40 days (as the plan is to rest on Sundays). Needless to say I will be travelling alone which I enjoy as it provides me with lots of time to talk to myself in peace. I am gathering all the info. from a huge amount of sources - I am also an addict of Google Earth which is great for verifying directions from guide book descriptions (how did we manage life before computers!). I am sure I will have queries before my departure that are best answered by the experiences of recent pilgrims, so you will hear more from me over the next few months. I hope to get to Le Puy from London by bus and train - has anyone done that or have knowledge of the transport services available ? Also in the early weeks of the walk it will be very much walking from dawn until dusk and wondered how well gites d'etape are signposted in villages and whether "open all year" really means that. I am working on the basis that Feb. 25th until April 12th should be a relatively quiet period for the "gites" and that I need not book ahead or am I being over optimistic.

Anyway, I look forward to comments though medical advice from psychiatrists will be characteristically ignored.

Best wishes
Tony Haywood

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tony - you will thoroughly enjoy the walk from Le Puy. I can't say what it is like at the time you are planning to do it (I wlaked in August) - Kiwinomad will have many clues on that. I suggest you read her blog. I just thought I would let you know how I got from Charles de Gaulle airport to Le Puy. We caught the TGV from the airport to Lyon, where we waited about an hour and a half for another train to St Etienne, and then had just enough time to have a drink at the station before catching the little regional train to Le Puy. From memory the journey began at about 10.00 a.m. (we had flown in from Australia) and we were at our hotel in Le Puy by about 4.00pm. Hope that helps you with your initial planning. I found the little Alison Raju book (Cicerone Guide) for the french leg very useful. Her descriptions were generally very accurate, allthough the maps are more like little mud maps. I actually supplemented the book with colour photos copies from another guide book. If you read French the maps in the Topo guides are excellent. I think, from memory, that there were 3 guides for the length of the walk in France. Cheers, Janet

I walked from the 800km from SJPP to Santiago in 20 days during April and May with only a half days rest, so 40km a day is do-able for a decent walker - I walked on average for about 7.5 hours each day (longest day was 11 hours to cover 56km) whilst carrying about 7kg plus liquid; next time I'd aim to carry between 4-5kg plus 1L of liquid

Hello Neo,
Have you been in touch with the Confraternity of St James in South Africa? Its quietened down now, but in a couple of months there will be dozens of requests for information and credentials. The annual workshops are held in March in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg. We might even be able to put you in touch with someone to walk with although you won't be alone if you don't want to be.
Good luck with your plans,

Hi everyone, my name is Gitti and I have just joined this site. I am in the final stages of booking my flights from Auckland to Paris and hope to walk the Le Puy route in September 2009. In 2006 I walked my first Camino, the Camino Frances and in 2008 half of the Austrian Route of St James as well as the Czech Greenways from Prague to the Austrian Weinviertel. This is not a pilgrim route as such, rather a collection of interconnecting walking trails, absolutely superb, very solitary and very interesting and different. Am planning to post diaries of my walks, if anyone is interested and would love to hear from anyone intending to walk the Le Puy route next year. I have bought the Miam Miam Dodo, which looks great, although I have not found any guidebooks which surpassed John Brierleys book of the Camino Frances. Regards, Gitti

abhaywood said:
I hope to get to Le Puy from London by bus and train - has anyone done that or have knowledge of the transport services available ? Also in the early weeks of the walk it will be very much walking from dawn until dusk and wondered how well gites d'etape are signposted in villages and whether "open all year" really means that. I am working on the basis that Feb. 25th until April 12th should be a relatively quiet period for the "gites" and that I need not book ahead or am I being over optimistic.
Best wishes
Tony Haywood

Hi Tony,
I am descended from a Payn from Jersey in the Channel Islands so feel a link with Alderney!

I flew into Paris, and from there took trains for Le Puy. I left around 7am on a train for Clermont-Ferrand where I had a bit of a wait before a regional train for Le Puy. I arrived in Le Puy around 2pm. There was a train that left Paris later in the morning, and went via St Etienne I think, arriving around 6pm.

Most of the places you stay on the Le Puy route are villages or small towns and it is usually fairly easy to find the gites, which are usually signposted. If the Miam Miam Dodo guide says a gite is open all year, it is probably fairly accurate. But many of the gites in France are open from "Easter to All Saints", so you will have less options if you walk in Lent. I am not sure how this reduced availability of options would affect the need to book. But there are generally people around who will help you make bookings if need be, eg the tourist offices or sometimes the gite owners where you are staying, or other French-speaking walkers.

The early walking, from Le Puy to Conques, is more strenuous and care can be needed on slippery descents, so you might not cover quite the distance you imagine in those earlier days. However, once you have left Conques behind, the walking does get generally get easier, except for the days you are bound to experience when spring rains have made the tracks incredibly muddy.

I loved the Le Puy route. All the best with your planning!
Margaret

Yikes! That is fast. I plan to walk in late April and most of May, but at a more liesurely pace. Of course the Camino changes people. Perhaps I will stride out and finish in 20 days too! Tee hee hee hee. I am allowing 40 days and I hope to let each day kind of unfold as it will.

Life is good...

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

spursfan said:
I walked from the 800km from SJPP to Santiago in 20 days during April and May with only a half days rest, so 40km a day is do-able for a decent walker - I walked on average for about 7.5 hours each day (longest day was 11 hours to cover 56km) whilst carrying about 7kg plus liquid; next time I'd aim to carry between 4-5kg plus 1L of liquid

I plan to walk the camino frances starting the end of August 2009 but have some concerns about the 'crowds' expected at that time of year. As a consequence I'm wondering about the camino del norte. Crowds versus time. I've only got 5 weeks, I'm fit and used to walking with a back pack can it be done in 5 weeks?

Hi Ruben,
I started at Roncesvalles on 23rd August last year and didn't find the huge crowds that people warned about. We never went without a bed - besides the places that only have mattresses on the floor - and never had a bun fight to get into a refuge.
Start mid-week rather than over a weekend, that way you miss the 'one-week-walkers' who walk from one weekend to the next.
Plan to stay at smaller places, in-between the stages mentioned in most guide books. We often had less than 10 people in places that could sleep more than a dozen.
5 weeks is more than enough time - even if you start at St Jean.
Use http://www.godesalco.com/plan to plan daily schedules on the Camino Frances or the Via de la Plata.
Good luck with your plans.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I am planning my 1 camino in July 09 and it will be camino del norte. Well I want to go alone. Could it be for 19years old girl dangerous? what do you think?

Hi Wildpiece and welcome to the Forum :) ,
You will probably get plenty of advice on this forum re danger and avoiding it, but the general opinion is that the pilgrim routes are safe, even for young females, and no more dangerous than other parts of Spain. Clearly you have to be sensible and aware, but it is also relatively easy, if you wish, to walk with someone else as you get established on your route. The camino del Norte is less crowded the the Camino Frances but I don' think you should have any problem.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

Hi! My name is Rachel and I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I plan on walking The Camino Portugués in early - mid January. Any advice?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
wildpiece said:
Hi,

I am planning my 1 camino in July 09 and it will be camino del norte. Well I want to go alone. Could it be for 19years old girl dangerous? what do you think?

Uffff!! Terribly dangerous!! (it's a joke)

Don't worry about and enjoy it. Let yourself to discover an incredible Camino.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

raquel103 said:
Hi! My name is Rachel and I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I plan on walking The Camino Portugués in early - mid January. Any advice?

Hi, Raquel,

I walked the same Camino from Barcelos (Portugal) in early february a few years ago. Lonesome paths and very helpful people everywhere. I enjoyed a very mild wheather, but don't forget winter can be hard. And if possible, continue to Fisterra.

If the new guide in english is not ready, don't forget there's another one in http://www.amigosdelcamino.com in spanish and portuguese, free to download.

Buen Camino, enjoy it!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hello all of you,
I am Berth from Holland . I rode my bike from Holland to Santiago de Compostela , May ,June 2008 , 2790 km . Needless to say one of the greater exeriences in my life . Posessed by the "camino fever " I will start my second camino La Via de la Plata next year by the end of May . Wondering which one of you I will meet along the way .
regards 8)

To Ginn and to all the Class of 2009
How great this is that the class is forming and the enthusiasm is building. In a very few weeks and months this class will begin to share the excitement, wonder and sweat that goes into the planning and actual first steps of your Camino. So, a few words about planning:
Once you get your equipment together, your boots broken in, your tickets in hand and you arrive at your point of departure...throw your plans about arriving at this city on this date, meeting these folks in this town and arriving in Santiago on this date...away.
The Camino will make those choices for you! Some will be to your liking...some a bit more troublesome.
The Camino is a stern taskmaster that will wring the best from you as you make your Way and seek your personal goals and desires. Each km you trod, every pathway shrine you pass, or vinotinto you share...a new realization about yourself, your friends,or your Faith will surface and make itself known. What you do with the information is yours and yours alone. But understand, you will not leave the Camino the same person you were when you began.
Those most seeking will be comforted, the most pessimistic enlightened, the most confident humbled and the least among us raised in glory.
Stride on Class of 2009 in the knowledge that you walk the Milky Way in the company of the great, the meek, the scoundrel and the Saint…yet, one and all changed forever more.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Lyn, we are also walking the Camino Portugues in September 09. We are a group of Aussie walkers who had a wonderful Camino Frances in 2007. We may see you along the way.
Sharon

Re: Class of 2009 - Cami del Llevant

God being willing I plan to leave Valencia in early March to walk the Cami del Llevant. I hope it will not be too crowded.

eamann said:
God being willing I plan to leave Valencia in early March to walk the Cami del Llevant. I hope it will not be too crowded.

Eamann,

go well. God willing, I will be taking the same route after Easter. I don't think we have to be worried about crowds.

Andy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
andy.d said:
eamann said:

Eamann,

go well. God willing, I will be taking the same route after Easter. I don't think we have to be worried about crowds.

Andy

For both,

Don't worry about crowds, but for the way and the albergues.

I only can speak for this Camino from Alicante. You can find a guide in http://www.amigosdelcamino.com only from Alicante. From Valencia I imagine is possible to obtain it in the Association of Valencia. Both paths finally are the same.

About albergues and any help, I have a document with all address and telephone numbers. In spanish, but easy to understand. If you send me a private message I will send it to your email address.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

bubbles said:
Hi!

I'm a new pilgrim from Singapore planning to do the Camino Frances in Nov 09. I'd love to find a companion for the journey. Is anyone planning to walk the same route around that time?

Hi, Bubbles,

In Spain weather is getting cold in november, with sun hours getting shorter and only a few pilgrims. But enough albergues opened. Try to read the phorum in this time, but possibly you will find some companion in the same Camino. Hope you enjoy it.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

sillydoll said:
Paulo Coehlo's Pilgrimage was the first book he wrote.
For many years people said that he hadn't actually walked the camino and that it was an allegorical story about a man's search for self (in this case his sword). But, on his very popular website, Paulo attests that he did walk the camino and recently covered the same ground again (with his wife - by car).
His book inspired thousands of Brazilians to walk the camino, to form CSJ's, to become involved on the camino, establish an albergue, assist Tomas at Manjarin with funding, provide stones to rebuild Ave Fenix etc.

I gotta complain about this alberque....in october of 2008 we, three pilgrims, tired, feet tired from walking on asphalt the previous two days, came acroos this colorful alberque..there were only two in this town...so we inquried how much for a bed, and were told 8 euro...well, we all thought, yea, we can to that, came back....then the host, and his wife.....told all 3 of us, as well as an austrailian couple there, that they were no longer able to supply us with just a bed for 8 euro...today only was a package deal........22 euro...for bed and dinner.....BUT...no on else was there, and we all were not one of the rich travlelers, we have all seen on the camino......i was shocked at the rudness of this proposal....and so were the other pilgrims, as it turned out NO Body stayed there!!.....but if the host and hostess had been a bit more understanding, they could have renting us each a bed at 8 euro......(there were 5 of us, so thats 40 euro...plus im sure some of us would have bought breakfast or dinner)...but because of greed, they made nothing. My point is...this is the Camino........please dont make it so Commericial..that these alberques become they type of business some of us are fleeing from...Greedy Corporate Greed...sorry to sound negative, but meeting this people that host at this alberque, was one of the most depressing experience's on the camino......just wanted to share that....the municipal alberque down the street was only 3 eruo, nice kitchen and super nice hostess.....sorry i gots to give this one 3 thumbs down...peace and love, and have a great camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.