• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Hei everybody of the class of 2014 (and others interested!),
I'm a new member to this forum, although I've been reading a lot on it since several weeks now.
I plan to start my tour on the Camino on may 14th. I'm in between jobs (no, correction: I lost my old job and am still looking for a new one ;) ) and have taken this time to walk the Camino to figure out some things that are happening in my life right now (as I believe everybody does who's walking the Camino, according to the threads I've been reading). So I am looking forward to some time with myself, some meditative walking and maybe some nice people to meet!
I've always had this tour in the back of my mind and now seems the perfect time to do it.
I love walking in nature and mountains and have some holiday experience of walking in the Norwegian Mountains. But then I normally have nearly 20 kg on my back! On this walk I plan to be carrying a lot less ;).
Looking forward to Meeting you, on the Camino of on this forum!

Greetings from Norway

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings Painter will you be starting from SJPDP or where are you starting your walk from - my wife and I are starting on the 16th from SJPDP so you necver know we may catch up - the Camino is a good opportunity to reflect on our lives to get other peoples perspectives and to take some time out - I hope your walk brings you the results you need - which are not always the results you want - walk light walk happy

Hey Larry from Sydney,
I'm starting from SJPDP! So there will be a big chance we meet. I have no clue as to how fast or far I'll be walking on a day (might be that I've become a bit rusty ;) )....
I have no intentions or expectations from my walk on the Camino. Just to be away for a while from the people I know, be alone, and then I'll see what happens with me! I know that walking in nature always works well for me, somehow. Even if only to get to know myself a bit better.
Thanks for the encouragement!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi painter I'm starting from SJPDP on the 14th May so looking forward to meeting up with you meditating and experiencing the power of the Camino.

Martin - UK

Just an update, we are now walking almost 20 km /day. Tonight resting in Cirauqui, tomorrow a short day to Estella.
Feeling good.
Thanks to all my friend for your prayers and good wishes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hei everybody of the class of 2014 (and others interested!),
I'm a new member to this forum, although I've been reading a lot on it since several weeks now.
I plan to start my tour on the Camino on may 14th. I'm in between jobs (no, correction: I lost my old job and am still looking for a new one ;) ) and have taken this time to walk the Camino to figure out some things that are happening in my life right now (as I believe everybody does who's walking the Camino, according to the threads I've been reading). So I am looking forward to some time with myself, some meditative walking and maybe some nice people to meet!
I've always had this tour in the back of my mind and now seems the perfect time to do it.
I love walking in nature and mountains and have some holiday experience of walking in the Norwegian Mountains. But then I normally have nearly 20 kg on my back! On this walk I plan to be carrying a lot less ;).
Looking forward to Meeting you, on the Camino of on this forum!

Greetings from Norway
Hey Painter and welcome to the forum! Are you starting your Camino in SJPP? Are you doing the Camino Frances? If so I will be starting a few days (May18th) after you. Meditative walking is great and I plan on doing my fair share too. Take care and if you go really slow we may meet up ; )
Stefania

Hey Stefania
thanks for your welcoming words. Yes, I intend to start from SJPdP. Might be a slight change of plan in how much time I've got to walk, but eventually Santiago is my goal! And if I will walk very slow I might have to come back another time to finish! I still keep all open.
Are you going all the way to Santiago? I see you've been preparing this tour for almost 2 years allready! Must be great to finally start soon!
Just a few weeks to go!
Greetings!

Hey Stefania
thanks for your welcoming words. Yes, I intend to start from SJPdP. Might be a slight change of plan in how much time I've got to walk, but eventually Santiago is my goal! And if I will walk very slow I might have to come back another time to finish! I still keep all open.
Are you going all the way to Santiago? I see you've been preparing this tour for almost 2 years allready! Must be great to finally start soon!
Just a few weeks to go!
Greetings!
Painter,
I am going all the way to SDC. If I walk too slow I may end up taking a bus for a part in the last 1/3rd but I am going to try to walk at "my pace" what ever that is : ) My return ticket is for June 27th so I have quite a bit of time. I am not a "seasoned" long distance hiker so I am going to need it!
I have been preparing since May 2012 but had a temporary slowdown in late summer that year (my left knee) and really only got back to training August 2013. I currently workout at a gym since I am living in the "Polar Vortex" the weather people keep talking about this winter. If that doesn't translate well - it is very cold and we have had more snow than in the last 130 years in this area of Michigan. I can't wait to get back outside to start hiking again!!! I do wear a weight vest at the gym to try to prepare as if I am wearing my backpack (they won't let me wear my pack).
Take care and Buen Camino
Stefania

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all, Patrick here checking in for the class of 2014. I live in Nebraska in the USA. I have been a lurker for awhile learning so much from previous camino pelegrinos, as every time I thought of a question I searched and found lots of answers( some I liked, some I will learn to cope with). I am traveling from SJPdP starting on the 20th of June, I will be joined by some Canadian friends(3 or 4)as well and joined by three of my own brothers for the last 10 days of the Walk. I look forward to meeting many pelegrinos walking around my dates and wish safe travels.

Hello class of 2014 !!
I spent one week on the Camino in May 2013 and it was an amazing experience! I'm hoping to complete the full Camino during June - July this year.
I'm starting my Camino experience with a few days in Paris, followed by the TGV to the south. I'm hoping to leave SJPdP on 17 June - I'd love to hear from any others who are starting off at the same time. I believe that the first stage from SJPdP is quite difficult with steep gradients, have any others completed this phase? Are there many accommodation choices on the first few stages of the Camino? Is accommodation booking in advance necessary?
Now....a burning question that I do have, are their options to have luggage moved to the accommodation if there had been particularly tough days .... I hope I'm not offending the real pilgrims with that question!!!
I'm so excited about my journey this year and look forward to meeting others. Buen camino
Hi Suzanne. I am departing SJDdP on June 19th or so...if you don't walk too quickly, perhaps we will meet along route. Alyssa

Hello all, Patrick here checking in for the class of 2014. I live in Nebraska in the USA. I have been a lurker for awhile learning so much from previous camino pelegrinos, as every time I thought of a question I searched and found lots of answers( some I liked, some I will learn to cope with). I am traveling from SJPdP starting on the 20th of June, I will be joined by some Canadian friends(3 or 4)as well and joined by three of my own brothers for the last 10 days of the Walk. I look forward to meeting many pelegrinos walking around my dates and wish safe travels.
Hey Patrick! As I mentioned to Suzanne, I am leaving SJDdP around June 19th so will probably see you along the route. If not, buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Well I'll be! I am from Nebraska too! I leave Kimball on April 5 and St. Jean on April 8. I should be back before you leave so I will be glad to share anything I can that might help when you go. Whereabouts are you in Huskerland?

Well I'll be! I am from Nebraska too! I leave Kimball on April 5 and St. Jean on April 8. I should be back before you leave so I will be glad to share anything I can that might help when you go. Whereabouts are you in Huskerland?
Omaha, but Bellevue more specifically, yes I look forward to hearing about your trip. Buen Camino!

Hey Patrick! As I mentioned to Suzanne, I am leaving SJDdP around June 19th so will probably see you along the route. If not, buen camino!
From what I understand, if you travel within three days of someone's start date from the same location, you could very well at least see each other over the course of 500 miles. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just returned from India and am in a state of grief about more things than I care to list. I have nowhere to live, my loving relationship is over, the friends I went to India to re-connect with are dead, my body couldn't... whatever. It's a long list. I was listening to BBC Radio 4 this morning and heard first a fascinating discussion of the Holy Trinity by three unbelievably clever and articulate theologians, followed by an extract of a book by some guy who had written in the past about walking the Camino. I heard the universe, and God, giving me a hint. I need to go now. As in tomorrow or the next day. I believe I can probably walk between 300 - 400 km.
Which route should I choose, considering extremes of weather, availablity of refugios, etc.? Any and all suggestions welcome.

To my friends, I am now walking every day. Today in Estella, Navarra. Feeling good (and very tired) but getting over my physical crisis.
The weather has been amazing. Lows of around 0C and highs of 17C with sunny days. Perfect walking weather.
If you are interested in our progress I have been keeping a blog: gilcamino.blogspot.ca
Again thank you for your prayers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi painter I'm starting from SJPDP on the 14th May so looking forward to meeting up with you meditating and experiencing the power of the Camino.

Martin - UK
My wife and I set out the same day around 7am so we may see each otherand quite a few others on our way up that wee hill

I have just returned from India and am in a state of grief about more things than I care to list. I have nowhere to live, my loving relationship is over, the friends I went to India to re-connect with are dead, my body couldn't... whatever. It's a long list. I was listening to BBC Radio 4 this morning and heard first a fascinating discussion of the Holy Trinity by three unbelievably clever and articulate theologians, followed by an extract of a book by some guy who had written in the past about walking the Camino. I heard the universe, and God, giving me a hint. I need to go now. As in tomorrow or the next day. I believe I can probably walk between 300 - 400 km.
Which route should I choose, considering extremes of weather, availablity of refugios, etc.? Any and all suggestions welcome.
Hi Christopher,
I am so sorry to hear of your many losses recently. I will be thinking of you and wish you well. I have not walked my 1st camino yet so I have no experience from which to draw on regarding where to start. But, I think I would walk the CF (from where ever you decide to start) so that you can be with people. My thought is that when I am down I can get out of it by helping others and by laughing. Both are better done when you have more people around you.
Good luck and Buen Camino
Stefania

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone from Class of 2014

I did my 1st camino in 2012 from SJPP to Santiago & absolutely loved every minute. So much so that my husband wanted to join me on my next one! So in May 2014 we are going to be on the Camino Frances for 16 days (unfortunately he can not take long holidays as self employed). So will take the time from SJPP to wherever it takes us to the end of our camino for this time. My husband has diabetes & other health issues so will be a snail camino rather than a prescribed stage each day. But we will enjoy each step to wherever we end up. We plan to start from SJPP on 23rd May & going to Orisson on the 1st day. Hope to meet some forum members on the way. BTW I wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzalez on my 1st trip - it took me 6 weeks to complete my 1st camino. We are Oldies but Goodies - the over 60 group! We're planning to come back for 2nd part in the Autumn. Ultreia & God Bless!

Holaa! I am Olimpia and I am excited and happy to be a part of the class of 2014. I am leaving Houston to Madrid April 30th. Hopping to be able to get to Pamplona as soon as I arrive to Madrid. My flight arrives at 2:20 and the Alsa bus leaves at 3:15. I hope to be able to get on it since I am only taking my backpack. I am going to look into the train also just in case my flight arrives late and I miss the bus. If all goes according to plans, I will get to Saint Jean May 2nd and start My Camino May 3rd. I hope to meet some of you soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be just a couple of day's ahead of you.

Will be walking the Camino Frances, leaving SJPP on Sept 5, with my daughter. Have set aside forty days to complete our adventure. We are super excited and appreciate this forum where we can connect, learn from other pilgrims. Grateful to be a part of the class of 2014.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Will be walking the Camino Frances, leaving SJPP on Sept 5, with my daughter. Have set aside forty days to complete our adventure. We are super excited and appreciate this forum where we can connect, learn from other pilgrims. Grateful to be a part of the class of 2014.
Hi Barbara ,
My two girlfriends and myself will probably see you on the road. We are also leaving on the 5th...spending the night in Orrison! Look forward to meeting you!!
Debbie from CA

I am 70, I have diabetes but we can do it. We have to be very careful with medication and food. We need some adjustments, Talk to the doctor, I reduced some medication and I have to eat small snacks every hour, mostly fruit.
We are at los arcos and tomorrow we'll take a day of rest in Logroño.
Your husband will love the experience.
Buen Camino

Hello everyone from Class of 2014

I did my 1st camino in 2012 from SJPP to Santiago & absolutely loved every minute. So much so that my husband wanted to join me on my next one! So in May 2014 we are going to be on the Camino Frances for 16 days (unfortunately he can not take long holidays as self employed). So will take the time from SJPP to wherever it takes us to the end of our camino for this time. My husband has diabetes & other health issues so will be a snail camino rather than a prescribed stage each day. But we will enjoy each step to wherever we end up. We plan to start from SJPP on 23rd May & going to Orisson on the 1st day. Hope to meet some forum members on the way. BTW I wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzalez on my 1st trip - it took me 6 weeks to complete my 1st camino. We are Oldies but Goodies - the over 60 group! We're planning to come back for 2nd part in the Autumn. Ultreia & God Bless!
See my reply above

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Swedish accent here, and a bright orange pack (Gregory z40) :)
I'm in this general timeframe too. Another slow hiker. Tan pack, purple long sleeve shirt, bright pink short sleeve one, black jacket, green raingear. I guess I am of changing colors but the hair is white and stays the same. Leaving in a bit more than 2 weeks now. We will all be wearing grins.

Oz Viking this is a long shot but are you a friend of Sam Cottee in Mount Lawley? I'm her sister and was telling her yesterday about my planning for my camino and she mentioned she knew someone else doing it? I am in Brighton in the UK! Seemed like a coincidence that I have just seen your message and I know that Perth (Central) is relatively small! would be very funny if if was you that she mentioned. If not, oh well!! Have fun!!! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm in this general timeframe too. Another slow hiker. Tan pack, purple long sleeve shirt, bright pink short sleeve one, black jacket, green raingear. I guess I am of changing colors but the hair is white and stays the same. Leaving in a bit more than 2 weeks now. We will all be wearing grins.
Mary, I am leaving the 8th from SJPP. I described myself to Ullamae, or someone, before, but I changed packs last night:). Black and green Osprey pack with Forum patch. Red shirt, black and brown pants, Tilley hat, scruffy beard. I will be looking for you and maybe I will catch up!

Thanks Gil A

The tip for carrying fruit for regular top ups is useful. We will have to remember to stock up each time we stop.

Trust your recent stay in Logrono is topping up the batteries! I'm enjoying your blog. Despite your early difficulties it sounds like you are now finding the best way to go forward.

We are in training mode at the moment as the weather in the UK has turned from constant rain to sunshine & decent temperatures.

Hope the way ahead continues to bless you both.

Hi Barbara ,
My two girlfriends and myself will probably see you on the road. We are also leaving on the 5th...spending the night in Orrison! Look forward to meeting you!!
Debbie from CA
We are spending the night in SJPP Wednesday Sept 3. I made a reservation at L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPP. I believe we will be beginning our camino the following day. I see that the Orisson is about 8 km down the road from SJPP? That is a smart move, breaking up that first day to Roncesvalles? My daughter and I are doing the camino together....but solo, too.....as my daughter is an independent soul. She is NOT a planner. We are spending a week together, with my husband, in Paris, before our adventure. I look forward to meeting you! We have set aside forty days, so as not to rush. I welcome conversation here, until our paths cross....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Holaa! I am Olimpia and I am excited and happy to be a part of the class of 2014. I am leaving Houston to Madrid April 30th. Hopping to be able to get to Pamplona as soon as I arrive to Madrid. My flight arrives at 2:20 and the Alsa bus leaves at 3:15. I hope to be able to get on it since I am only taking my backpack. I am going to look into the train also just in case my flight arrives late and I miss the bus. If all goes according to plans, I will get to Saint Jean May 2nd and start My Camino May 3rd. I hope to meet some of you soon.
My time table is similar. I Leave the States on April 30th. I an flying into Madrid. Can't wait! I hope we meet.

Aw bless. My husband who is at long last coming round to the idea that im doing this walk has finally given me his blessing :) he even bought me a hat, i havent got the heart to tell him its too wee haha, nevermind, its a gorgeous hat and its his way of showing me he's excepted that i need to do this (feeling loved)

I leave one week from tomorrow. I'm nervous. Second guessing myself. What if my body gives out physically? What if I get food poisoning? Lost? Homesick? Is €350 enough to get my train tickets from Paris to SJPP and food and lodging for a week or two?

On the other hand, what if I have the time of my life?

It's final, I'm going. Just so many unknowns.

To Christopher: it sounds like you really need a time out for yourself! I am sorry for you difficult situation right now. I am not in a fantsastic period of my life either, and keep remembering myself that what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Maybe that might be something for you to remember also? Wish you all the luck you pray for and a great tour!

To Angie: Fantastic to hear about your husband buying you a hat! My boyfriend is not keen on me going either, for various (maybe valid) reasons. So I have difficult times enjoying my preparations for this walk. And have still not booked my trip to SJPP... It's like I'm afraid of choosing for my own longings, knowing that I really, really, need a time out, alone. But still, without the support of the homefront I find it difficult to take that step. So Angie; thumbs up for you!

Carla

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .
Hi All,
I will be walking the Camino starting in the first week of May from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port. Have been reading about the Camino for years and am finally in a place where I can take all the time I need to walk it and to truly experience what a wonderful journey it is. Can't wait! Thanks to all forum members for their most interesting contributions, it's been a great help to me during my planning.

if I'm a barber do you think it would be worth taking my scissors and razor. free cuts off course
I think people would love you! Although I'm heavily in favour of every woman on the Camino going to a local hairdresser at least once (Spain needs the money and every female pilgrim needs some pampering).

I think people would love you! Although I'm heavily in favour of every woman on the Camino going to a local hairdresser at least once (Spain needs the money and every female pilgrim needs some pampering).
unfortunately I dont cut lady's just men plus shaves just to help me along

Hi Joe and Laurie,
I too am planning on hiking Sep-Oct on the Camino Frances. I am working on thinning down my frame, as well as my backpack. And, planning a walking schedule to begin the end of this week. Does anyone have insight into weather Sep 10-Oct 20? Rain? Temps? Hoping to meet you all enroute!

Hey CD -
Like Joe I have researched diligently on the Sep/Oct weather. I too plan on packing for extremes, but I have received replies from at least 4 people who have posted youtube videos of their Sep/Oct experience over the last 3 years and all said more sun than rain and temps cool in the morning, but at least 50s and 60s in the afternoons.

Hope to see you on the Camino. I will be starting around 9/23 or 9/24.

Michael

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just an update, we are now walking almost 20 km /day. Tonight resting in Cirauqui, tomorrow a short day to Estella.
Feeling good.
Thanks to all my friend for your prayers and good wishes.
Go Gil Go!!!!!!!!

Hey CD -
Like Joe I have researched diligently on the Sep/Oct weather. I too plan on packing for extremes, but I have received replies from at least 4 people who have posted youtube videos of their Sep/Oct experience over the last 3 years and all said more sun than rain and temps cool in the morning, but at least 50s and 60s in the afternoons.

Hope to see you on the Camino. I will be starting around 9/23 or 9/24.

Michael
Michael. Mind posting links to those YouTube videos please. Thanks and God bless!

Fr. Moses

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks like we'll be class of 2015 now, not 2014. The doctor has advised us that I should not to go at the moment.:(

Sorry for you Tia, I have just heard my mother is very very ill with lung cancer so I may have to postpone until 2015... :( :(

Sorry for you Tia, I have just heard my mother is very very ill with lung cancer so I may have to postpone until 2015... :( :(
Sorry to hear that for you too. Hope that you find peace and can make your Camino later if not this year.

To Christopher: it sounds like you really need a time out for yourself! I am sorry for you difficult situation right now. I am not in a fantsastic period of my life either, and keep remembering myself that what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Maybe that might be something for you to remember also? Wish you all the luck you pray for and a great tour!

To Angie: Fantastic to hear about your husband buying you a hat! My boyfriend is not keen on me going either, for various (maybe valid) reasons. So I have difficult times enjoying my preparations for this walk. And have still not booked my trip to SJPP... It's like I'm afraid of choosing for my own longings, knowing that I really, really, need a time out, alone. But still, without the support of the homefront I find it difficult to take that step. So Angie; thumbs up for you!

Carla[/quote

Carla
Thank you Carla, its the time out i need to but when my husbands ask 'what from' i know he still doesn't get why I'm doing it, just that i need to do it. Hope your b/f comes around soon so you can book your flight and get going.

Hey Everyone - I'm planning to walk some of the Madrid route and then join the Camino Frances at Sahagun starting on the 1st April. I'm incredibly excited/nervous and looking forward to this experience very much. This forum really helps me to know that I'm not alone and it's a big reassurance. Hopefully I will see some of you along the way. If any of you have advice/comments on the Madrid route I would appreciate it as I understand that this may be less well travelled and potentially not as well sign posted (one of the main reasons for my nerves is my bad sense of direction)!!! Nice to meet you all virtually and thanks for ongoing support you all show :)

I lost focus for a few months ... in other words I stopped obsessing about the Camino and moved on to obsessing about other things ;) but I didn't stop thinking about it altogether. To be honest I have had my doubts. I am not sure I am up to the task. When I lost focus I also lost focus on my weight control and I gained 25 lbs which for me is a huge setback but it also opened my eyes again and I am back obsessing ;) Started serious walking again but I am working up slowly ... I did 2 hrs on the treadmill yesterday (set on hilly terrain) and an hour and a half for the 5 previous days. I will be slowly increasing the time spent until the weather begins to improve and I can start walking outside in earnest ... time enough for inclement weather training next winter ... we are still on for the spring of 2014 unless fate intervenes ... Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I totally relate Mysticl - your post sounds like I could have written it - using the words obsessing etc. made me smile as that's just what I do. I'm just going to go and see what happens now. I've tried to train but know I haven't trained enough- I know that. Anyway hopefully passion/obsession will get us through :) Buen Camino

I too will be changing my plans for 2014. I have not been active on the forums much as a result but I am still lurking and more importantly ... walking !!

My plan is to now join the class of 2015 hopefully with a spring ( May) departure. My husband had been due to retire in the fall of last year but was extended until October of this year and hence the delay. Better late than never :)

Mysticl

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I so look forward to finishing my first Camino and planning for my next - the problem I face is that in Australia there is a new walk starting tracing the footsteps of some of our explorers - so many steps to follow - but our steps should lead us to our paths end not to the end of someone elses path - the beauty of silence of mind is astounding and I am surprised by how many find it hard to find inner silence to think about what is really important - walk your path and while turmoil may surround you find your own inner peace - having just written this I started to remember some poetry I wrote - will have to try and find it again - was back in the 90's but a lot of it related to travel - if I do find some of it I will post some - remember each journey is an exploration of ourselves both physically and more importantly mentally - my ultimate goal is to spend 6 wonderful weeks with Des - mind you some of this will be in silence as I retreat into my own head - walk well all.

does any have any insight to airlines...need to get from SCQ to BCN in mid September - have found two airlines - Iberia and Vueling airlines - not filmilar with the second airline has any one had any dealings with them. are they safe and on time etc. ?
Secondly any suggestions on how long to stay in Finisterre - thinking of 1 or 2 nights ....?
Best way to return to Santiago to Finisterre ....for example is their a train or is the bus the only option.?

We have booked with Vueling but do not know what to expect - watch your luggage charge as this was not included in our original pricing
There is a bus from Finisterre to SDC

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just 2 weeks now, and only 10 days until I leave home (visiting parents for a couple of days too). Time is flying by, I don't know how to get done in time!

Ullamae.

I envy your pre-camino excitement!
It is always hard to switch gears and actually set off; each time what to then has only been a dream suddenly becomes vibrant reality as I step aboard the train. My husband waves goodbye and suddenly I am alone in a new physical and mental space. Solo a new adventure then slowly unfolds from home to Paris, to Bayonne, and then at last into the Pyrenees.

For me the actual Camino Frances could ONLY truly begin at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees. Excitement starts while riding there on the local train from Bayonne. Once arrived after hoisting my pack, walking uphill and through the old fortress walls to the 39 rue de la Citadelle office of the welcoming Amis du Chemin de St Jacques to obtain my Credential and bunk, I walk on. New Camino arrows now lead directly to number 55, the comfortable municipal albergue where Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera greets all, serendipity prevails and the next camino adventure begins.

Savor every moment of your adventure!

Margaret Meredith

does any have any insight to airlines...need to get from SCQ to BCN in mid September - have found two airlines - Iberia and Vueling airlines - not filmilar with the second airline has any one had any dealings with them. are they safe and on time etc. ?
Secondly any suggestions on how long to stay in Finisterre - thinking of 1 or 2 nights ....?
Best way to return to Santiago to Finisterre ....for example is their a train or is the bus the only option.?

I have booked with Ryanair from Santiago to Barcelona in July and find them ok.have flown with them on two previous Caminos also.

Vueling is a part of the Spanish airliner Iberia. When I used to work for some years in Spain I often chose for the services of Vueling. They are one of the many price fighting companies.
Their service I found were good .If I must choose I prefer Vueling far far above Ryan Air .

I have booked with Ryanair from Santiago to Barcelona in July and find them ok.have flown with them on two previous Caminos also.
Is like the "food" of Mac Donalds , Kentucky Fried Chicken and others from the same kind of.... you have to stand and wait in a row ,pay in advance and never know what you 'll get...Ryan Air, Easy Jet... The same sort of... I do not accept services of that kind of companies and prefer to pay a little bit more and choose for better quality.

I too will be changing my plans for 2014. I have not been active on the forums much as a result but I am still lurking and more importantly ... walking !!

My plan is to now join the class of 2015 hopefully with a spring ( May) departure. My husband had been due to retire in the fall of last year but was extended until October of this year and hence the delay. Better late than never :)

Mysticl
What shall I do? I'm still obsessed!;-)
I really can't wait 3 months and a week. But 26 of june will come soon or friends of mine will kick me off the camino! And ultreya! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Emonty...will probably see you there somewhere :) I've just been finalising a few more details of my plans and should be starting from SJPdP somewhere around the 6-8th April. But I'll be walking SLOWLY, so even if I start on the 6th, I'm sure you'll still catch me up :)
I am ready liking all the posts about walking slowly! A friend of mine who walked last year gave me a headlamp so that I could get up before dawn and race on...NO WAY!

I really can't wait 3 months and a week. But 26 of june will come soon or friends of mine will kick me off the camino! And ultreya! :)
Stefano,
I feel the same way. It is so exciting when I think about starting. I am starting more than a month before you and it is feeling very real now! Only 8 weeks to go as of yesterday. But I am trying to stay in the moment since this is part of the journey for me in the same way that arriving in SDC will not be the end. Enjoy it all!
Buen Camino
Stefania

I so look forward to finishing my first Camino and planning for my next - the problem I face is that in Australia there is a new walk starting tracing the footsteps of some of our explorers - so many steps to follow - but our steps should lead us to our paths end not to the end of someone elses path - the beauty of silence of mind is astounding and I am surprised by how many find it hard to find inner silence to think about what is really important - walk your path and while turmoil may surround you find your own inner peace - having just written this I started to remember some poetry I wrote - will have to try and find it again - was back in the 90's but a lot of it related to travel - if I do find some of it I will post some - remember each journey is an exploration of ourselves both physically and more importantly mentally - my ultimate goal is to spend 6 wonderful weeks with Des - mind you some of this will be in silence as I retreat into my own head - walk well all.
My friend and retired pastor is very concerned about me going on pilgrimage in this way. He kept asking me "Why?", and I can't really explain that to anyone. When I told him one reason was "to listen" he immediately understood that partial answer. Leaving home two weeks from tomorrow.

I am ready liking all the posts about walking slowly! A friend of mine who walked last year gave me a headlamp so that I could get up before dawn and race on...NO WAY!
Hi Wynne...yes, a big part of it for me is to walk slowly and take the time to 'find myself', 'smell the roses', <insert other appropriate cliche here> :) (The Camino for me is also the start of a year off, traveling the world, also in search of such cliched outcomes, as well as to expand my mind and horizons!).
Also, I'm pretty unfit, so taking it slowly is also just sensible, in my case, to avoid overdoing it/prevent injuring myself.
I have approx. 70 days to walk if I need/want to, so I can pretty much walk as slowly as I like (I have either 83 or 87 days in Spain, with a week booked in Barcelona at the start and a week in Madrid at the end). Maybe I'll finish a lot quicker than I anticipate, and want to walk another route after I get to Finisterre and Muxia :) Pixy

Booked !!!!!!! This morning we booked to leave Brisbane, Australia, on the 1st September, 2014....Camino Frances here we come. !!!! Feeling fantastic and now in full training and planning mode.

A Big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum who has helped us by answering our questions and giving us advice.

Sonia and Warren from Hervey Bay Australia.

I fly out of Melbourne on Monday morning (going to SJPdP via Singapore, Barcelona & Bilbao) and start walking 2 weeks from tomorrow! I can't believe it's come around so fast, after about 3 years of dreaming. About an hour or two ago I just finished packing up 30 years of hoarding (OK, not quite that long - I didn't start hoarding when I was born, but you get the idea), as I will be travelling for a year. Think I should pack my backpack now? :) Because I know the piles of stuff I have are not all going to fit in, or be necessary, so I still need to find somewhere to put what's getting left behind! And yes, as well as hoarding, procrastinating is also a strong suit...but some of the blame must be placed at the feet of all you fellow forum members...whose posts keep pulling me back here, when I should have been packing up ;) Look forward to seeing some of you out there soon! Pixy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone (I do so like saying 'hi' - it's Arabic for 'life', so 'long life' to all).
I'm starting out from Seville along the via de la plata with Jamilla, my donkey, on 27 April, after arriving there from London on 23rd April.

It will be our very first Camino, as Jamilla was conceived in 2013 and has only just been born. (I'm considerably older, by some 67 years.)
She's no ordinary donkey, though, being constructed from copper pipe, aluminium mesh waste paper bins, polystyrene beading, suedette .... you name it, she probably has some of it in her construction. She also has 6 inch wheels to help her along. And in her body she'll be carrying my baggage.
She'll also be raising money for charity, I hope, once I get a website sorted out for her.

We had a short, trial walk on International Women's Day and now I've ironed out a few kinks we'll be walking from Westminster Abbey to St Albans over a couple of days soon. Then, if we have time, from Southwark Cathedral to Canterbury, which will take us 4-5 days.
We plan to spend about eight weeks in all on our (first?) Camino, arriving around mid-to end of June.
Wish us luck!

Jamilla's mum,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Have you a photo of Jamilla? During past caminos I have met several donkeys carrying baggage but none quite as special as Jamilla. Unfortunately one ate the flowers and snored outside the albergue dorm in Castrojeriz; I doubt that Jamilla will cause such problems. All you need do to keep those wheels turning is try not to carry too much.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone (I do so like saying 'hi' - it's Arabic for 'life', so 'long life' to all).
I'm starting out from Seville along the via de la plata with Jamilla, my donkey, on 27 April, after arriving there from London on 23rd April.

It will be our very first Camino, as Jamilla was conceived in 2013 and has only just been born. (I'm considerably older, by some 67 years.)
She's no ordinary donkey, though, being constructed from copper pipe, aluminium mesh waste paper bins, polystyrene beading, suedette .... you name it, she probably has some of it in her construction. She also has 6 inch wheels to help her along. And in her body she'll be carrying my baggage.
She'll also be raising money for charity, I hope, once I get a website sorted out for her.

We had a short, trial walk on International Women's Day and now I've ironed out a few kinks we'll be walking from Westminster Abbey to St Albans over a couple of days soon. Then, if we have time, from Southwark Cathedral to Canterbury, which will take us 4-5 days.
We plan to spend about eight weeks in all on our (first?) Camino, arriving around mid-to end of June.
Wish us luck!
Hi,
I too will be leaving London Stansted on the 23rd April and planning to start walking on the 26th ish to Santiago and beyond. Staying at Triana hostel for a couple of nights will look out for you.
Buen Camino Keith from Wales.

Margaret, I have several photos. However I'm not too good at editing the ones I have, to fit as an avatar.
Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to add one.
(Jamilla - the name means 'perfect' or 'beautiful' one - will have a voice, but I will control it .... and she most definitely won't snore, though I can't promise I won't. )

Keith - for sure we'll meet . I'm flying from Gatwick (easyjet) but am also staying at Triana.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hey, class of 2014!

Although my original plan for this year was VdlP I'm (due to time&funds) now leaning more toward Camino de Madrid, CF (Sahagun - Ponferrada), Camino Invierno & Muxia/Fisterra combination. Current plan is to start between 15-20th June with time-frame around 50 days altogether with non-walking days. I'll try to post my observations on this forum either way VdlP or "Camino Combo South" as I call it now ;)

I've gathered all the information I have about CdM & CdI's accommodation and route here on the forum and I think that will be sufficient although I wouldn't mind to have a paperback guide such as Brierley. Especially for some historical or otherwise interesting places I'm affraid I'll be missing.

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stefano, we will probably meet along The Way as I am leaving SJPP around June 19 or 20. Yes, ever ultreya!
Buen Camino,
Alyssa
SometimesSheTravels

I leave one week from tomorrow. I'm nervous. Second guessing myself. What if my body gives out physically? What if I get food poisoning? Lost? Homesick? Is €350 enough to get my train tickets from Paris to SJPP and food and lodging for a week or two?

On the other hand, what if I have the time of my life?

It's final, I'm going. Just so many unknowns.

Heidi1:

Start slowly and your body will adjust. You can get food poisoning anywhere and I hope you do not worry about it everyday. Very difficult to get lost on the Frances. Route is well marked and you will be starting with 10-20 other Pilgrims. You will probably get a little homesick. Consider it is only one month out of your life and you will have made new friends, learned something about yourself, tried new foods, walk over mountains, roman bridges, through vineyards and across the Meseta etc.

350 Euros should be enough to get from Paris to SJPdP and last a week. Figure 30 Euros a day on the Camino.

No one can guarantee you the time of your life but the Camino will change you in some way.

Be not afraid and let the Camino be your guide.
Joe

Heidi,
Part of the adventure is jumping into the unknown. Having been a long-distance backpacker for a very long time (old guy), there are still days on the trail when I wonder how the day will end. Who will you meet? What will you see? Will it ever stop raining? (Yes, rain always stops). There are no guarantees but I'm willing to bet you will have a wonderful time in spite of any challenges and perhaps because of those very same challenges.
Buen Camino,
LoneStar

Hello all,

I shall be joining the ranks and stepping on the trail come early April. A few unexpected physical issues pushed me back a little, but I am trying to look on these little setbacks as practice for paying attention to the wisdom and whims of the body (which have been quite creative I must say). Still, I feel amazingly fortunate to be in a position physically and otherwise to even *think* of doing something like this, let alone actually doing it. I have all my gear, a plane ticket and a starting point. Should be leaving for Spain next week. Perhaps I shall see some of you along the way.

Safe travels to you all,
Jen

Hello all,

I shall be joining the ranks and stepping on the trail come early April. A few unexpected physical issues pushed me back a little, but I am trying to look on these little setbacks as practice for paying attention to the wisdom and whims of the body (which have been quite creative I must say). Still, I feel amazingly fortunate to be in a position physically and otherwise to even *think* of doing something like this, let alone actually doing it. I have all my gear, a plane ticket and a starting point. Should be leaving for Spain next week. Perhaps I shall see some of you along the way.

Safe travels to you all,
Jen

Buen Camino Jen.
Enjoy every moment and memory.

Hello all,

Safe travels to you all,
Jen
Buen Camino Jen
From a fellow pilgrim now in Sahagun, Leon

Hello all,

I shall be joining the ranks and stepping on the trail come early April.
I leave for SJPdP Wednesday next week, and start walking Thursday, there are also a few others starting a day or a couple of days after me. Maybe we'll meet :)

I am suffering from a temporary (I hope!) Fatigue right now, from my sudden transition from couch potato to walking 10-12 km 4 days/week with an 8 kg pack. I'm not just tired, I'm completely washed out. So I will take it really easy the first week or two. After I get to Roncesvalles, that is...

Last edited:
Keep on truckin Gil! So glad your still at it!

God bless!

Fr. Moses
Thank you Fr. Moses.
We were behind so we took the bus from Burgos to Sahagun, about 100km, we were disappointed to have to do that, so now we need about 17 km per day. We think we can do that despite a chronic problem I have with a leg.
We are now in El Burgo Ranero and on schedule to arrive to Santiago for Good Friday.

Thank you Fr. Moses.
We were behind so we took the bus from Burgos to Sahagun, about 100km, we were disappointed to have to do that, so now we need about 17 km per day. We think we can do that despite a chronic problem I have with a leg.
We are now in El Burgo Ranero and on schedule to arrive to Santiago for Good Friday.

Glad to hear your still at it Gil! Seems like you're having a very "profitable" lent. Keep it up!

Let us pray for each other!

Fr. Moses

I just completed the five day Sarria to Santiago route with two other moms and our daughters. We had perfect weather, no rain. We met amazing people who did not judge that we started in Sarria. In fact, everyone was so excited that we were able to experience this with our teenagers.
Buen Camino

I just completed the five day Sarria to Santiago route with two other moms and our daughters. We had perfect weather, no rain. We met amazing people who did not judge that we started in Sarria. In fact, everyone was so excited that we were able to experience this with our teenagers.
Buen Camino

Fantastic!

Thank you my brothers and sisters pilgrims for your prayers. Just an hour ago I was discharged from the hospital. The doctor gave me a go ahead for our pilgrimage. God willing in one week at this time I will be in Pamplona on my way to Roncesvalles.
Whoo Hooo....your first miracle for the Camino! Congratulations! That's fantastic. Still we will pray that your Camino continues as planned.

As time gets closer, I find that time isn't passing quickly enough. I am having dreams about my Camino experiences (they are a little creepy and scary ones though....one was where I missed my plane by ONE WHOLE DAY! Yikes!:confused:). My friends are tired of hearing about this trip and are probably wishing for time to pass just so I'll shut up! :p Come on May 25th!!

Buen Camino
Who cares where you started? To paraphrase from my favorite musical, "to each his Dulcinea (or Camino)"! Your journey is one I would have loved to share with one of my children. Congratulations and send good thoughts to the rest of the Class of 2014, especially those of us who are starting soon.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.