• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal Portuguese route

gypsygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal route spring or fall 2017
Hi everyone, A friend and I plan to walk the coastal Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago in the spring or fall 2017. Does anyone know where I can find a map of the walk with accommodation and possibly places to eat. My friend has a bad knee but a lot of time and does'nt want to walk more than 5 miles (approx 9 kms) in a day. Most information I've read suggests walking 15 kms or more each day. Does anyone have any suggestions about accommodation that can be found along the way. Seems like most accommodation is found after walking 15 kms or more. Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks Gypsy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That might be tough. There are a couple of good books - Brierly's Camino Portugues is good but not perfect, and I've heard good things about Sergio Fonesca's The Portuguese way to Santiago, but it's unavailable on Amazon . . .
I think there are many places where there's far more than five miles between places to stay. You might consider taking taxis - say if you want to break a stage into two, hike half of it, catch a taxi to the next hostel, and the next day taxi back to where you stopped.

Hi everyone, A friend and I plan to walk the coastal Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago in the spring or fall 2017. Does anyone know where I can find a map of the walk with accommodation and possibly places to eat. My friend has a bad knee but a lot of time and does'nt want to walk more than 5 miles (approx 9 kms) in a day. Most information I've read suggests walking 15 kms or more each day. Does anyone have any suggestions about accommodation that can be found along the way. Seems like most accommodation is found after walking 15 kms or more. Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks Gypsy
That might be tough. There are a couple of good books - Brierly's Camino Portugues is good but not perfect, and I've heard good things about Sergio Fonesca's The Portuguese way to Santiago, but it's unavailable on Amazon . . .
I think there are many places where there's far more than five miles between places to stay. You might consider taking taxis - say if you want to break a stage into two, hike half of it, catch a taxi to the next hostel, and the next day taxi back to where you stopped.
Thanks for the info, taxis might appeal to my friend. Is camping an option along the trail? It seems like most people stay in hostels

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the info, taxis might appeal to my friend. Is camping an option along the trail? It seems like most people stay in hostels
I only remember seeing one camping place along the coastal route, and none along the central and variante espiritual. Could be I missed them, but you're mostly going past private property. Carrying camping and cooking equipment could be really hard on bad knees.

gr
I only remember seeing one camping place along the coastal route, and none along the central and variante espiritual. Could be I missed them, but you're mostly going past private property. Carrying camping and cooking equipment could be really hard on bad knees.
I agree, it would be hard on my friend. He has suggested that we start in Matosinhos and he will end his trip in Viana De Castello, I will continue on. Any suggestions about that leg of the journey would be appreciated. My friend really wants to walk that part of the Camino. He seems to be pulled to it for some reason. If he isn't able to go further at least he can say he walked that section. Does anyone have a list of hostels or private accommodation on that leg of the walk? I just purchased John Brierleys Camino Portuguese which I am reading now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Check the 'Resources' section of the forum. Some info there.
Regards, good travelling, and Bom Caminho,
Gerard

Olá,

Sergio Fonseca´s book :
http://www.fromportugal.com/en/book...ortuguese-way-santiago-compostela-my-way.html

gr

I agree, it would be hard on my friend. He has suggested that we start in Matosinhos and he will end his trip in Viana De Castello, I will continue on. Any suggestions about that leg of the journey would be appreciated. My friend really wants to walk that part of the Camino. He seems to be pulled to it for some reason. If he isn't able to go further at least he can say he walked that section. Does anyone have a list of hostels or private accommodation on that leg of the walk? I just purchased John Brierleys Camino Portuguese which I am reading now.

Olá, there are some accommodations between Matosinhos and Viana do Castelo:

Matosinhos > Angeiras 12 km ; Orbitur camping ; bungalows ; pilgrim´s fare
Angeiras > Vila do Conde 10 km ; new albergue municipal or pensions
Vila do Conde > Povoa de Varzim 4 km ; Hostal Sardines & Friends and church albergue
Povoa de Varzim > Rio Alto 10 km ; Orbitur camping; bungalows; pilgrim´s fare
Rio Alto > Fão 6,5 km ; Youth Hostel; pilgrim´s fare
Fão > Esposende > Marinhas 7 km; Albergue in Marinhas,
Marinhas > Chafé 13 km; Hotel Casa da Reina
Chafé > Viana do Castelo 9 km ; albergue

For Orbitur campsites: don´t book over their webside, you will get the special price (with your credential) only at the campsite. In spring / fall no reservation needed.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The CSJ (Confraternity of Saint James) now has a guide prepared by Johnnie Walker

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:
Hi Gypsygirl,
My 23 year old son and I walked the same route last September - I understand the 'pull' your friend is feeling. *sigh*

We stayed in two hostel, one guesthouse, one alburgue (Santiago) and small hotels. By splitting the cost of the rooms (reserving the day of on Booking.com), we never spent more than $20.00 each, per night.

We usually averaged about 5 - 7 miles a day - so, it is doable. I had an issue with my hip and my son has cerebral palsy that affects his left leg and arm.

There were days we both 'hit the wall' and took a cab or train to the next town. We gained a day (or three - Porto, Vigo and Pontavedra :)) to rest and explore. Some 'purists' would take issue with that but, to each his own...it is a personal experience. ;)

If you email me, I will be happy to give you our list of places and restaurants. Tanasemail@aol.com

You will love this route - stunning ocean views and paths through fragrant eucalyptus and fern-filled woods.

I am joyfully envious of you and your friend! :rolleyes:

Tana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rainer is this guide by sergio worth purchasing? I have brierly's guide but wondered at another resource to help. I am doing the Senda de Litoral and want to stay on that path until it joins up later. Doing lots of research at present.

I´m sorry Rina, I can´t answer your question, because I have the portuguese copy. But doing the Sendo Literal first, no guide book is needed till Vila do Conde. Leaving Porto at the Douro river and then along the coast or starting in Matosinhos, the water (river or ocean) is always on your left, you can´t get wrong. Later, all ways , Costa or Central are well marked.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back