• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused newbie

Samantha Shaw

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

I want to do the Camino de Santiago in September.
I live in Birmingham, England. So if I fly into Pamplona get to St Jean Pied de Port ... is it easy enough to find your way to get the pilgrim passport?
Then I guess just walk walk walk and follow the signs? Getting home I'll just wing it too.

Is the trail easy to navigate? Will there be plenty of people around? I'm just worried I'll get lost or not do the trail properly.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you get to St. Jean Pied de Port it's a piece of cake finding the pilgrim's office and getting your passport. Easy to walk out of town and start the Camino. Just follow the arrows and signs. Easy to navigate and lots of fellow pilgrims.
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The address of the Pilgrims' office in SJPdP: Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Look it up on google earth and make a copy of the map. SJPdP is a small town but the streets are confusing, particularly if you arrive after dark.

If you are travelling from England you might be better served by flying to Biarritz airport.

There are no international flights to Pamplona.

The camino is marked by yellow arrows or other markings. If you get lost a local person will point you in the right direction, often without being asked.

2225 London to Saint Jean Pied de Port via Biarritz Airport

2226 This section discusses travel from London to Saint Jean Pied de Port via Biarritz Airport

Index 2225
2227 Airline Service London to Biarritz Airport
2228 Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne
2229 Gare de Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port

The closest airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port is Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne Airport (BIQ). Biarritz Airport is relatively small and it is easy to get oriented.

Biarritz Airport website indicates airlines and destinations including flights from London.

Biarritz Airport BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

At time of writing:

Ryan Air provides service from London Stansted (STN) to Biarritz (BIQ) all year.

Easy Jet provides service from London Gatwick (LGW) to Biarritz (BIQ) on seasonal basis.

Chronoplus bus #14 travels from Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne. The bus stop is just outside the airport. The bus ride takes about 40 minutes.

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Gare de Bayonne. See the picture so you recognize where to get off the bus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

SNCF TER train #62 travels from Gare de Bayonne to Cambo les Bains where passengers transfer to an SNCF autocar (bus) to SJPdP. You cannot reserve a seat. You can purchase the ticket at the station.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

Hello,

I live in Birmingham, England. So if I fly into Pamplona get to St Jean Pied de Port ... is it easy enough to find your way to get the pilgrim passport?
Then I guess just walk walk walk and follow the signs? Getting home I'll just wing it too.

Is the trail easy to navigate? Will there be plenty of people around? I'm just worried I'll get lost or not do the trail properly.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Hi Samantha.
There is a book you can order, it's called "Camino de Santiago". It's written by john Brierley, the ispn ends in 96244. Probably the only book you will need, it has everything you will need to know really, including all the stage route maps, local info, phone numbers, where all the drinking fountains are, all the hostels, basic Spanish, ideas of travel options and the all important equipment and kit list etc, it is a wealth of information and well worth under £20 price tag...I've read it over and over..I'm in Gloucestershire at the mo and starting my pilgrimage on the first of May...Good luck with your prep and buen camino when you get there..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just follow the yellow arrows. Stop when you reach the Cathedral in Santiago. Or, if you are proceeding to Finisterre, when you reach the ocean. A yellow arrow with an "X" through it means this is NOT the correct way.

Walking from St. Jean Pied de Port into the Pyrenees, whenever you reach a "fork in the road" proceed left. I found this both true and funny if you consider the state of politics in France generally... but I digress...

Also, if you are faced with the possibility of taking one route UP and the other route DOWN, choose UP.

For the first day, at least as far as Orisson, this is all the direction you need.

You could simply follow the others as well.

It IS that easy to follow the route.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Easy Peesy ,don't fret Samantha. If you don't mind I just want to add to your comment Walk , Walk , Walk the words " Up Hill" ergo "Walk Uphill ,Walk Uphill, Walk Uphill" ... into infinity ( it seems)

Buen Camino :)
Joe

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The CSJ in London http://www.csj.org.uk/ also issues Credenciales, one less thing to worry about if you have already one.
There is no way to do the trail 'improperly' at least not when you follow the simple guideline of 'treat others as you want them to treat you'
Buen Camino! SY

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Sam
First thing, buy a good guidebook. Being in England, find John Brierley's. It was a life saver for our Camino. Second, choose and buy your boots and socks (I recommend 100% wool) and break them in early, walk a lot a long way.... See below entries about blisters. Thirdly, going in September, consider the weather especially, and dress accordingly. We went in May/June, and the Pyrenees were rainy and snowy, OUT of season! We did not go all the way into St. John, started in Pamplona and did not feel short changed in the least. The trail is very well marked (yellow arrows, mostly) except when some local vandal paints EXTRA arrows..... adds to the fun....
When you get the guidebook, obtaining the Credential is easy. Recommend you buy it by mail but you can usually buy them in the big albergues and Cathedrals. You will buy another (and another?) along the way, having filled up the first with all the stamps!
Yes, there are "plenty of people" some you will remember, some you find you were sorry to have met, but c'est la vie, . Study Spanish and make the locals very happy and your trip mucho mas facil. Rosetta Stone?
Buen Camino!

First thing, buy a good guidebook. Being in England, find John Brierley's. It was a life saver for our Camino. Second, choose and buy your boots and socks (I recommend 100% wool) and break them in early, walk a lot a long way.... See below entries about blisters. Thirdly, going in September, consider the weather especially, and dress accordingly. We went in May/June, and the Pyrenees were rainy and snowy, OUT of season! We did not go all the way into St. John, started in Pamplona and did not feel short changed in the least. The trail is very well marked (yellow arrows, mostly) except when some local vandal paints EXTRA arrows..... adds to the fun....
When you get the guidebook, obtaining the Credential is easy. Recommend you buy it by mail but you can usually buy them in the big albergues and Cathedrals. You will buy another (and another?) along the way, having filled up the first with all the stamps!
Yes, there are "plenty of people" some you will remember, some you find you were sorry to have met, but c'est la vie, . Study Spanish and make the locals
Yes, there are "plenty of people" some you will remember, some you find you were sorry to have met, but c'est la vie, . Study Spanish and make the locals very happy and your trip mucho mas facil. Rosetta Stone?
Buen Camino!

very happy and your trip mucho mas facil. Rosetta Stone?
Buen Camino!
Hi JamesL.
Top advice there..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Samantha.
There is a book you can order, it's called "Camino de Santiago". It's written by john Brierley, the ispn ends in 96244. Probably the only book you will need, it has everything you will need to know really, including all the stage route maps, local info, phone numbers, where all the drinking fountains are, all the hostels, basic Spanish, ideas of travel options and the all important equipment and kit list etc, it is a wealth of information and well worth under £20 price tag...I've read it over and over..I'm in Gloucestershire at the mo and starting my pilgrimage on the first of May...Good luck with your prep and buen camino when you get there..
Samantha Hi.
You can get your camino passport from the camino site..Ivar who runs the site has a store from where you buy the credential, the shell and all sorts of bits and bobs..

Thank you

The address of the Pilgrims' office in SJPdP: Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Look it up on google earth and make a copy of the map. SJPdP is a small town but the streets are confusing, particularly if you arrive after dark.

If you are travelling from England you might be better served by flying to Biarritz airport.

The camino is marked by yellow arrows or other markings. If you get lost a local person will point you in the right direction, often without being asked.

2226 This section discusses travel from London to Saint Jean Pied de Port via Biarritz Airport

Index 2225

The closest airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port is Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne Airport (BIQ). Biarritz Airport is relatively small and it is easy to get oriented.

Biarritz Airport website indicates airlines and destinations including flights from London.

Biarritz Airport BIQ

At time of writing:

Ryan Air provides service from London Stansted (STN) to Biarritz (BIQ) all year.

Easy Jet provides service from London Gatwick (LGW) to Biarritz (BIQ) on seasonal basis.

Chronoplus bus #14 travels from Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne. The bus stop is just outside the airport. The bus ride takes about 40 minutes.

Chronoplus

SNCF TER train #62 travels from Gare de Bayonne to Cambo les Bains where passengers transfer to an SNCF autocar (bus) to SJPdP. You cannot reserve a seat. You can purchase the ticket at the station.

SNCF TER Aquitaine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That being said....when I stepped out of my Albergee in St Jean to begin my walk (across from the pilgrams office). My southern hemisphere internal bearings where all wrong. I said goodbye to my host and started to walk up the hill.
He laughed...grabed me by the shoulders and spun me around to face down hill.
It must have looked so comical. An exciting adventure awaits you Sam!
Hi Lise - you obviously walked before "The Way" as Martin Sheen does almost the same thing.

Sam - welcome to your new and rather extended family. You are going to have lots more questions - most will have been answered here by pilgrims who have walked the Camino many times - 10 is not uncommon. So remember - there are no stupid questions - just ask and yea shall receive!! Buen Camino (you will get use to this phrase).

Hi Sam,

I walked the Camino Frances in Sept 2013 albeit with time constrains and coming from Aberdeen I flew into London and flew to Biarritz and got the bus then train to St Jean.

There was a flight direct from Santiago to London but in preparation for my own Camino in Aug I an unable to find direct flights back and having to go via Madrid.

Whilst i read Brierley's guide before coming all i actually used on the camino was the albergue list from the forum and the copy of the stage topography map which I had in pdf on my iphone and had a paper copy.

I learned quite a lot by reading a number of blogs as i feel they give a very good insight.

Also feel free to read my blog of my trip joshcapaldi.wordpress.com

Hope this Helps

Josh

When you get to St. Jean Pied de Port it's a piece of cake finding the pilgrim's office and getting your passport. Easy to walk out of town and start the Camino. Just follow the arrows and signs. Easy to navigate and lots of fellow pilgrims.
Buen Camino
Keep the run on your left and walk on!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Winging it is the best way to go. Book a cheap flight with Ryanair (Stansted to Biarritz) then just follow the crowds to Santiago.

Index 2225

Biarritz Airport BIQ

At time of writing:

Chronoplus

SNCF TER Aquitaine
This is information wow!!!! Anyone could be happy...fantastic

In 2010 we flew from Birmingham to Biaritz, then bus or train from San Sebastián I think up to SJPP. We worried but it was easy fun and safe. I walked the last 250 miles on my own. Well there is always someone to overtake or they pass you and you meet up at the end of the day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh how I would love to be able to fly Birmingham (20 miles away from home) to Biarritz instead of sleping down to Stanstead! :(

Did you know Flybe flies from Birmingham to Biarritz? Its once a week ... so not great ... perhaps there are more in summer. There are also several flights per week to Bordeaux from whence its easy to catch the train.

Birmingham airport
http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/

Did you know Flybe flies from Birmingham to Biarritz? Its once a week ... so not great ... perhaps there are more in summer. There are also several flights per week to Bordeaux from whence its easy to catch the train.

Actually I didn't! That is probably I normally go early May so when I look they don't show up. Have to think about that seriously now. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back