• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contemplation - Quietening a Busy Mind

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)
I'm reading Joyce Rupp: Walk in a Relaxed Manner in which she talks about gradually (& not always easily) letting go of being 'busy'. Letting go of distractions (music, books, newspapers, Internet...). Letting go of the need to fill her mind with so much 'stuff'.
Whilst I DONT wish to start another debate about using technology on one's Camino, I do wonder how different pilgrims have embraced (or not) a more contemplative mind.
I also recall Vagabondette finding her Camino tedious & stopping, and I wonder if I'll manage to slow my brain down (one of the reasons I want to do this first Camino the moment I retire).
Suzanne :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We all have our own way of approaching the Camino and " letting go". Myself I only take the guide book and my phone as distractions.
The book I use briefly to plan the day or to tell me about points of interest.
The phone I keep my Australian SIM card in so I am not tempted to use it except in the evening if I have wifi.
This allows me to clear my head and communicate with fellow pilgrims or just be alone with my thought.
It's a welcome change to my life at home.

Hi! Gift yourself a long Camino, and more than the minimum time needed to complete it. If you're not on a schedule it's easier to stop and smell the flowers, so to speak. You'll find that with less 'stuff' you enjoy things more. A coffee isn't just fuel for the next hour or two; it's a pleasure in itself. Enjoy it and your surroundings. Then order another. :) Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On every camino there are stretches which seem to be in another world. Past are the hoards of camera-clicking tourists and/or pilgrims as well as any urbane atmosphere with a bar at every corner. All is reduced to simple basics; I am alone on a seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky. The only sound is the companionable crunch of my boots and perhaps distant birdsong.

Happily for me while tramping along and alone I often sense that special moment when everything 'clicks' realizing that this is, indeed, MY way and that all is and will be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...Thus, thankfully you continue.

MM

Last edited:
time-honored and pilgrims-proven method is the rosary, or similar prayer beads. It occupies your mind with quiet but powerful repetitions, so your spirit can soar into the space. It leaves your five senses free to guard against hazards, say hello to others, enjoy birdsong or snores from the next bed. And when other pilgrims see a rosary, they tend to respect your space and leave you in peace.
You don't have to use the standard Catholic prayers, either -- you can use scripture verses or Psalms you know well, or songs, or you can pray for a different concern or person or issue with each bead. In any case, it works for me.
Only problem I have is, I keep giving mine away, and I have to keep getting another one!

I like this idea, Rebekah & puts me in mind of prayer beads given to me by an Afghan friend when he returned from his Haj recently, which gives added meaning to me. And baring any unforeseen problems with husband, I hope to take some 40 days+ on my 'Haj', thus allowing me to 'smell the roses'

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having a tight time schedule does indeed occupy the mind, because it colors almost every choice you make during the day: Can I stop here to enjoy the view? Can I pause five minutes longer to enjoy this mid-morning snack? So avoiding (or learning to ignore) those time pressures will help.

As for other methods for quieting the mind, I have had good success with three methods: keeping a journal (serves as a draft for teh blog, but also contains more personal writing; reading (I carry a Kindle, as I generally walk alone); and a terrific phone app that teaches meditation skills (https://www.headspace.com/).

I find that you just fall into a state of contemplation without trying. As you walk long distances your body becomes tired and your mind follows. You have the wonderful distractions of the beautiful countryside and when you need it, the company of fellow travellers. At the end of the day you will be physically exhausted leading to a good nights sleep (hopefully uninterrupted by snoring) . By the end of your Camino, you will be a different person. Don't try too hard to slow the brain, it will happen.
Buen Camino,
Gerard.

I do wonder how different pilgrims have embraced (or not) a more contemplative mind.
:)

I do have a 12 word prayer which I repeat to the timing of my feet.

What I find happens it that what I long for and what I need converge.

I want the rain to stop, the pain to ease, the rise to finish , the bird song to continue, my companions to remain

Then the worries I brought with me have been replaced by the simple things which the Camino provides

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm reading Joyce Rupp: Walk in a Relaxed Manner in which she talks about gradually (& not always easily) letting go of being 'busy'. Letting go of distractions (music, books, newspapers, Internet...). Letting go of the need to fill her mind with so much 'stuff'.
Whilst I DONT wish to start another debate about using technology on one's Camino, I do wonder how different pilgrims have embraced (or not) a more contemplative mind.
I also recall Vagabondette finding her Camino tedious & stopping, and I wonder if I'll manage to slow my brain down (one of the reasons I want to do this first Camino the moment I retire).
Hi Suzanne,

When we walked in 2013, we took a cell phone that we plugged in once a day and checked for messages. We thought we would upload pictures to the internet at cafes (to back them up), but that did not work very well. Other than that we were "off the communication grid" so to speak. It was wonderful. I walked with my husband. Sometimes we talked, sometimes, we didn't. We liked to sing as we walked. Sometimes we walked with others, most of the time we didn't. I didn't find the letting go to be very difficult. It just happened. I don't remember being bored, or antsy. I had lots to think about and enjoyed every moment of contemplation!

One of the most stressful and difficult aspects of our walk was that at one point, my job did penetrate our solitude! I am an academic, our dean resigned and colleagues managed to get our phone number and call to encourage me to apply for the interim position. After lots of thought and talk with my husband I decided to do so and ended up applying online from internet cafes! It was stressful and difficult and we both resented the intrusion mightily!

When we walk in June we are taking an iPad mini and no phone. We can use skype on the mini to call home if needed (our parents are in their 80's and our kids are 25 -- we want them to be able to reach us). We are opening a new email address and only giving it only to our folks and kids, so they can can email and make arrangements for a call. We are confident that they will guard our contact info very closely! That way we can check to see if they need to get in touch without having to deal with other messages :D! The other reason for the mini is that my husband is a photographer and takes LOTS of pictures. We wanted to have a way to back them up as we go along in case something happens to our camera card. Uploading to the internet takes hours and most wifi and cafes do not have enough band-width to make this doable. But our plan is to be just as "off the grid". And right now, (about 75 days from our planned departure) we are living for that feeling of the world dropping away!

Anyway, a long answer with probably TMI! Hope it helps. Liz

Suzanne, I forgot to add the most important stuff because I got tied up on the darn technology part of my answer!

We went to mass most evenings. We aren't catholic, but we found regular worship to be wonderful. We stopped at churches and lit candles all along the Way. Each one represented a person or a concern we had talked about and prayed about. We made our own little monuments and added flowers and stones to the monuments others had made. And, as other have said, we prayed. Liz

I do have a 12 word prayer which I repeat to the timing of my feet.

What I find happens it that what I long for and what I need converge.

I want the rain to stop, the pain to ease, the rise to finish , the bird song to continue, my companions to remain

Then the worries I brought with me have been replaced by the simple things which the Camino provides
Can you share your prayer Kevin? I used to continuously recite " In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" in English, French and Latin. Time flew by...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Kevin!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is a great thread. I love hearing the different ways to pursue contemplation with a purpose.

I follow some of the more informal patterns listed by others above. Depending on the circumstance and time of day I tend to use the following things to help me enter a more contemplative state:
- journal - mine is rather random and can swing from diary-style recording of daily events down through very personal prayers. I find that for me it is a catch all that can both help me clear my mind, and be a space to focus on the thoughts of that day.
- music - for me, the right music at the right time is really critical for my mind to both rest and and focus (I know that seems contradictory. But it doesn't feel that way:) ). So, please don't judge me if you see me walking with headphones in :) It really does help me. (As does taking them out and walking for periods of silence and listening to the symphony of noises around me).
- prayer
- good conversation - In addition to significant times of solitude, what I love about the camino is that the right conversation at the right time can also spur some great contemplation. There is a rich balance to be had between the times of solitude and the rich community that the camino provides.

I'm thinking after reading this it might be a good exercise to try some of the strategies listed above.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Nate

Hi Sueque12, I use the Orthodox "Jesus Prayer" - Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner- once you get into a rhythm it seems to fit and I'm sure it acts much like your own in freeing up the mind as one pounds out the miles
Ditto Kevin's use of the Jesus Prayer. Good read:"The way of the Pilgrim" describing a Russian pilgrim seeking God and his constant prayer, "Lord Jesus, son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Greek Orthodox monks use prayer ropes as they say this prayer. Good meditative practice with inhaling during first part of the prayer and exhaling at the "have mercy on me, a sinner."

I wrote this (which I have posted before) after my first Camino which I walked solo in 2009. Since then I have walked with my wife which is different when it comes to personal contemplation - not better or worse, just different!! I have found that knowing by heart some prayers / hymns / poetry / portions of scripture is helpful. Again, pick up tips and ideas from other folk and find what works best for you. As in all personal things, there is no "right way" of doing contemplation.:)

If the modern pilgrim follows
The itinerary and timing of his forbears
He will find that often in his daily march, he
Will arrive at a 'Capilla de Animas' or
A small wayside shrine at twelve noon.
No clocks or watches then,
Only the sun tells when it is midday
The hour of the Angelus.
"The angel of the Lord
"Brought tidings to Mary . . .
"And the Word was made flesh
"And dwelt among us."
The rhythm of the prayer fits well,
The rhythm of the pilgrim's feet upon the road.
But better still to pause;
Be still and remember,
That our incarnate Lord once walked
The roads of Galilee.
And still He walks with us
On this our daily pilgrimage through life.

Blessings
Tio Tel

A "Capilla de Animas" near La Vega, between Villaviciosa and Oviedo.
DSCF0182.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My mind became quiet through an almost reverse meditation process -- I didn't focus on breathing --I focused on the sounds outside, the wind in the wheat, the birds, the crunch on the gravel, and tried always to be listening. When I found myself getting distracted, I refocused on the sounds. Pretty soon I was just a sponge. That was the best part of walking. Being a sponge, soaking up whatever God's world was telling me at each and every moment.

I completed my Camino September 30th of 2013. I was retired. I felt a need to be connected. I took my iPad and a phone, which I would not do again. An iPhone is good enough. During the day it was my goal to open up to the experience and the lessons that the Camino had in store for me. In the evenings I would text people, and journal my journey, but did not do any call backs. I did Just enough to show my kids that I was ok and alive. Lol. It was just a rule I set for myself and it worked out fine for me.
It is amazing to be on the Camino in early autum and only hear the shuffling pace of your feet, the birds singing, the cows mooing, and Chicks chirping. Then there is the soft wind that kind of hugs you as you walk and the sun that bakes your skin at times. The welcoming small towns and their town's people, and the other pilgrims that you meet along the way, are just are some of the gifts of the Camino. If you open your mind to the journey, your mind May give you the peace in which you seek. The tech gadgets can wait. Buen Camino.

For me, one way to have quiet is to try not to e-mail people back home too much. Not just because of e-mail itself, but because I find that if I'm telling everyone what happened in the evening, during the day, my mind will be busy narrating my experience. I'll get busy thinking about how I will explain everything, how to make it an interesting story for others. I set one of those automated replies that says, "Sorry I won't be able to check my email more than once a week."

A list of thank you's helps. Thank you for the sun. Thank you that I saw that rock instead of tripping. Thank you for the woman back home who forgave me. Thank you for the friendly monks.

Sometimes you need alone time, so starting the day a little later--or walking into the afternoon/evening can give you quiet. Also, sleeping out. You can be the only one around.

I once read about a man who walked his neighborhood and counted each step as meditation. I wonder what that would be like on the Camino.

Praying aloud in fields.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Silence,contemplation and distance were always welcome companions here in the states.
Away from the pressures of time and place,finding the familiar emptieness of the wild places.
Standing out under the winter desert sun...and listening to the roar of tides in the mind so loudly speaking eloquent and uselessly to the wind.
Shockingly to realize that i carry all this noise between the ears.
Hear the wind,simple and yet a deepness to go on forever if you listened hard enough.
With that,the silence roars in
It is good to sit among the pillars of Peace
A quiet mind
A soul at rest
A body weary of the road
A will to travel on
A deep and abiding Love of and for the journey.

Stop and bestill yourself
The flowers are seen and unseen
Knowing the value of each,equally important,

Leave your prints among the tracks laid down by your fellow pilgrim over century and mile...out there where the wind and stars collide...

Be aware moment to moment what your mind is doing and the emotions and thoughts that enter it and through a little experience know what the way to stillness is and feels like and have a determination/ effort to keep coming back.

The walking helps your mind focus on less things so you end up getting more space anyway, I hurt my knee in 2012 and was told not to walk a Camino again, when I walked in 2014 my knee played up a few times, I had learnt that my walking pattern reflected the colour and energy of my thoughts, so even though I went with the determination to walk in a contemplative manner my dodgy knee ensured that I was always being bought back to the present, it was a blessing really.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I feel that living in the present...
And being able to find and maintain the inner calm and as you say-find and remember the way to it,
Is a key to open a door toward grace
It takes courage, to let go of the aggravations of life
It takes integrity, to be honest enough with yourself to self realize and work to conquer the ego..enough to not let it get in the way to inner peace

Walking in inner peace...
Why yes.
It is more of a goal for me,a destination of sorts.and imw still walking toward it...
Joyfully
Blessed be the Pilgrims

I feel that living in the present...
And being able to find and maintain the inner calm and as you say-find and remember the way to it,
Is a key to open a door toward grace
It takes courage, to let go of the aggravations of life
It takes integrity, to be honest enough with yourself to self realize and work to conquer the ego..enough to not let it get in the way to inner peace

Walking in inner peace...
Why yes.
It is more of a goal for me,a destination of sorts.and imw still walking toward it...
Joyfully
Blessed be the Pilgrims
Beautifully spoken words of wisdom William!!

Mikevasey
Your plugged in.
Its when the pain is building and your gait is beginning to faulter that seems to clarify things.
Be blessed with your injurys,i hope they dont slow you down!
I tend to lurch about when i walk
One leg seems to grow shorter?
And as i tire,the pain from my back seems to draw my head down to where i can see tbe trail...reaaaly well...lol

The more pain ime in,the closer i get to understanding some great mystery
I detest pain as i live in it 24 hrs.
But pain is the great equalizer
And it clears the concious noise clear
So i begin to hear

Closer and closer to the cloisters bells i hear in the misty distance
Calling out for aeons to countless,doubtless unbiden pilgrims

I will never find peace from the pain
So i choose to engage the inner peace,separate and sovereign,above and beyond the mortal bonds

It is an ongoing lesson...
As Marcus Aurelius told once ...
Pain is only a sensation
You are separate and above from the mind and spirit...or to that effect

Sueque ,thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mikevasey
Your plugged in.
Its when the pain is building and your gait is beginning to faulter that seems to clarify things.
And as i tire,the pain from my back seems to draw my head down to where i can see tbe trail...reaaaly well...lol

So i begin to hear

So i choose to engage the inner peace,separate and sovereign,above and beyond the mortal bonds

Pain is only a sensation

Sueque ,thank you
You are truly inspiring William!! God bless you as you walk through the pain into His Light!

Great thread! Consider this a general "Like" for all.

I adore the Joyce Rupp book -- thank you for bringing up this topic. We focus on shoes, back packs and blisters -- and yet, the Camino can be so much more.

I'm devoted to the Rosary -- which requires no technology. But I'll also be doing the Divine Office which is automatically downloaded to my iPhone each day. The Divine Office is takes one through the psalms -- it's an ancient practice that many monasteries follow. My iPhone app also lets me know who else in the world is praying it with me!

Buen Camino -- we start on April 17th.

We all have our own way of approaching the Camino and " letting go". Myself I only take the guide book and my phone as distractions.
The book I use briefly to plan the day or to tell me about points of interest.
The phone I keep my Australian SIM card in so I am not tempted to use it except in the evening if I have wifi.
This allows me to clear my head and communicate with fellow pilgrims or just be alone with my thought.
It's a welcome change to my life at home.

Now thats what it is all about as far a I'm concerned.

Really interesting thread.
I'm an ultrarunner's and often spend a whole day in my own company whilst out on the trails & hills. I always take time to stop and drink in the beauty of the landscape. Just stop & gaze at the beauty. Once I'm on my way, I commonly find myself in a contemplative state and the miles pass without noticing. Therapy for the soul
Never listen to music when I'm out - I want to hear the sounds all around, I'm escaping the 'noise'
I start my first Camino on May 13th and aim to arrive in Santiago de Compostella on my 50th birthday. I will be mainly running but this won't stop me experiencing the Camino....I'll be doing it my way

Good
Mikevasey
Your plugged in.

So i begin to hear

Pain is only a sensation

Sueque ,thank you

When I was browsing through a bookshop a few years ago I picked up a book by Anthony De Mello, a Christian from India who brought his area of the worlds disciplines to his faith, its title is 'Call to Love - Meditations' .It has 31 meditations on relevant scripture, I might end up reading it all but I have been drawn to another way, but the little bit I did read I felt he had started a a fire of faith in his heart and was giving the methods for interested people to do similar and purify it. Buen Camino to you because it feels you have done the same.

Mike

Edit: Just checked good old wikipedia and he has a link to Saint Ignatius who now has his own thread for the Camino connected to him and it talks about a month long retreat of spiritual practice's...which is roughly the time it would take to complete that Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mike,thank you for the Buen Camino!
Ive heard here and there of. A. De Mello

The Mystery is the capacity of human suffering and the mind,body soul connection. A balance imho... That when upset,leads to. Suffering.
This is just a me thing,a project for understanding and for helping my fellow traveler.
The core is this, What makes someone go on when there is no rational reason to?

I admire the courage it will take,the self sacrifice...or not,depending on your point of view as to the pain.
But i have caused this thread to meander...if i have offended,it was not my intention.

I have a friend who is into body, mind, spirit dynamics, she gave me an alternative view after my injury and helped develop an awareness of my thoughts and my body's responses, I am not a person who can go into a immediate contemplative state on Camino I need a little walking and effort, this time because of the sheer hardness of the Haute Langdeoc, I just had to stop in my tracks several times and become aware that my determination and focus was manifesting as too much strain at my right knee, so it was a mental step back and then continue with almost a smile/laugh and forget about the rest of the day, at that moment I was taking those steps and nothing else, for the first few days I would have to stop several times in any section to centre myself, later, not sure where, it became more natural. I took a book with me on patience written from a Spiritual development focus and even though it did not stand out too me at the time, afterwards I felt the most important thing about those early days was practising patience, to be truthfull I am not usually a patient person, on Camino that changes.

I feel with pain patience is the key, there is no benefit to devolping a negative attitude and your time while suffering will be made worse. With patience it takes you away from a suffering self and to a more wider contemplative state.

Just occurred to me after posting this that the basic essence of contemplation or meditation is patience, to stand still inside of yourself and not be distracted or pulled into things that are not important or necessary.

The standing still inside yourself...
That part came about in me,partly due to my jobs_(retired medically) characteristics,you panic,someone gets hurt or killed.
Standing back mentally/emotionally gave me the breathing room needed to get the job done...

To get away from the stress,i found i would go into an alert detatchment,
As the roads got longer,the hours stretching out before me,i would simply but forcibly quiet the noise,look around and take in the silence,the sights, and viscerally. Disconnect,

On the journey,the effort,the sound of everything...and nothing, would still the waters and give me immense satisfaction for a distance well done.

Frustration at obstruction to the goal,physically,led to mental and emotional turmoil,and as the infirmity progressed,the balance wobbled.

Slowing down,flowing with the road instead of crashing up against it...
Learning to go around,under,over, instead of through,and realising the healing of distance and time got me through.
Someone said:
Pain is inevitable
Suffering is optional

What gives me comfort, is that somewhere out there i can simply...be.
Shut down all expectations and regrets,
One step,next step
My roads here in the states are each and every one unique
The Camino, will be like an old friend ive been too long apart with,a part of and apart from.

The wandering about,the seeing of whats over the next hill,or behind that one,that is what quiets me
I must have been an explorer in a past life,lol
Away from the pressures and expectations of city life,of social and economic one upsmanship, are equalised

The letting go of it all,that is what quiets my busy mind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
....Just occurred to me .... that the basic essence of contemplation or meditation is patience, to stand still inside of yourself and not be distracted or pulled into things that are not important or necessary.
Patience is the key - that's a good thought to retain, @mikevasey. In fact, 100 thanks to everyone for their different comments/ perspectives.
Buen camino to you all,

On every camino there are stretches which seem to be in another world. Past are the hoards of camera-clicking tourists and/or pilgrims as well as any urbane atmosphere with a bar at every corner. All is reduced to simple basics; I am alone on a seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky. The only sound is the companionable crunch of my boots and perhaps distant birdsong.

Happily for me while tramping along and alone I often sense that special moment when everything 'clicks' realizing that this is, indeed, MY way and that all is and will be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...Thus, thankfully you continue.

MM
That is one of the most amazing posts I have read. Thank you.

Having a tight time schedule does indeed occupy the mind, because it colors almost every choice you make during the day: Can I stop here to enjoy the view? Can I pause five minutes longer to enjoy this mid-morning snack? So avoiding (or learning to ignore) those time pressures will help.

As for other methods for quieting the mind, I have had good success with three methods: keeping a journal (serves as a draft for teh blog, but also contains more personal writing; reading (I carry a Kindle, as I generally walk alone); and a terrific phone app that teaches meditation skills (https://www.headspace.com/).
I have often thought that being on a schedule would be taxing mentally...did I walk far enough for a break?...Do I have time to stop and see the sights? So I have decided to just go with how it goes. When I walk I will be putting aside up to two months to do it. I know I will probably be finished before this...but then again maybe not. I don't want to walk to the point of not seeing anything that is around me. We don't know where life will take us but if it takes me to the Camino then it is my obligation (in my thinking) to make sure I see it, feel it, know it, live it. I don't plan on using the guide books for anything other than references and I am taking a phone only because of my family. I also have elderly parents and would not want to be out of contact for such an extended period of time especially if something were to happen. I am not a big phone person anyway but I am sure being away from my computer will be difficult at first. But I am looking at it as a "fast". I will do what I can to not use the phone or internet as much as possible but I won't beat myself up if I do need to use it for some reason. I think the idea is to just walk. As some have said here, just let it be what it is. I have hiked before...camped before. For periods of up to two weeks and I notice by the end of it I do not miss the noise whatsoever. I think probably (not having walked the Camino) that the first two weeks will be almost like withdrawal as I do plan as much as possible to walk alone. It is in the silence that God speaks to me loudest. I am looking forward to my conversations with Him.

MM
And that is truly a "thin place." (If you don't know the meaning, Google it.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being mindful - I think it happens naturally with the rhythm of walking or cycling. But if your minds is full of chatter - just close off 4 of your senses and concentrate on just one - until you are immersed in the moment of it, then go onto another. Obviously if you are walking with eyes closed - be very careful! hold on to a companion - or stop and sit for a bit... It is amazing how much we miss in the moment when all our senses are screening. By paying attention to each in turn we get a fullness of experience. When we then return to 'normal' - or all senses - we seem more entrenched in the moment and our minds quieten. I think being in nature and being on a pilgrimage make this happen naturally. But some of us do have a lot of angry mice whirling about our brains... -I thought of getting a cat...

Make sure the cat knows what its doing, my cat is not above a bit of attention seeking and brings back live, unharmed mice( apart from being a bit shell shocked).

I like the idea of your post. I found on my 1st camino that I did not listen to any music for about the 1st week. I was walking alone on the camino Norte and just was carried away with the people the epic views of the coast day after day the animals farms and just the thrill to be walking in Spain without a care in the world, except for getting lost😂.
Following in the footsteps of all those souls who had come before and all the millions who undoubtedly will come after.
Then slowly after about 1 week I returned gradually to my music, a great love of my life and it began to even add more to my beautiful camino.
I guess for me it was just allowing the camino to unfold. Long days of quiet reflection then fun social times walking with a group of kindred spirts for days on end. Would change a thing😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like the idea of your post. I found on my 1st camino that I did not listen to any music for about the 1st week. I was walking alone on the camino Norte and just was carried away with the people the epic views of the coast day after day the animals farms and just the thrill to be walking in Spain without a care in the world, except for getting lost😂.
Following in the footsteps of all those souls who had come before and all the millions who undoubtedly will come after.
Then slowly after about 1 week I returned gradually to my music, a great love of my life and it began to even add more to my beautiful camino.
I guess for me it was just allowing the camino to unfold. Long days of quiet reflection then fun social times walking with a group of kindred spirts for days on end. Would not change a thing😉

change a thing😉

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back