• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Continuing while there still is light

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
17Leaving_Najera_001.jpg

....................Sunrise with moon leaving Najera, 11/01/2013

From 2004 through 2013 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety nine times.

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile.

The path may have been the same but actual realities varied greatly. Each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it would go, yet each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of friends old and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enables such a journey. Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader

Walking tests my strength; 'slow, but dependable’ could be my motto. Trusting providence as well as my simple gear, tenacity and ability to endure I try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Always it is a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. Bliss!

Although age and time will eventually take their toll, hopefully my memories will endure. Physically I may not be able to be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell.

Now while there still is light and before circumstance might force me to stop, hope still springs eternal! Thus, thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart I will walk again the Camino Frances starting October 14.

At 75 what matters most is to continue.

If you are walking perhaps our paths my cross; if not please follow my blog, MS Camino.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Joyful news and inspiration for us all Margaret. On this forum you are endlessly gracious and patient and on the Camino you lead us forward with courage and determination. May you be blessed on this journey with peace, beauty and friendship. Plus lots of pleasure - good meals, hot showers and comfortable beds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
17Leaving_Najera_001.jpg

From 2004 through 2013 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety nine times.

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."

The path may have been the same but actual realities varied greatly. Each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it would go, yet each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of friends old and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enables such a journey. Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader

Walking tests my strength; 'slow, but dependable’ could be my motto. Trusting providence as well as my simple gear, tenacity and ability to endure I try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Always it is a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. Bliss!

Although age and time will eventually take their toll, hopefully my memories will endure. Physically I may not be able to be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell.

Now while there still is light and before circumstance might force me to stop, hope still springs eternal! Thus, thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart I will walk again the Camino Frances starting October 14.

If you are walking perhaps our paths my cross; if not please follow my blog, MS Camino.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
Margaret you are a source of inspiration and information. Every other day on our Camino I say 'now Margaret says about this part ' ..... our very own Brierley! I actually brought notes of alternative routes and places to see that you recommended. We are in Melide, not far from Santiago now. I will say a prayer for you when we arrive at the Cathedral which will be the date you start probably.

Having walked from SJPP I think anyone who has done it deserves a medal ! You have to be true Camino Angel.

You are definitely a legend in your own time!

Blessings to you Camino Angel. Those who walk with you will be lucky people indeed.

A very Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We will be walking together for much of the journey, but you are starting 8 days before me and on a route some 300km shorter than mine, so I doubt we'll arrive at the same time. But if you happen to be in the cathedral on (dv) December 4th or 5th and hear in the list "uno de Inglaterra, desde Alicante", that'll be me. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Margaret, how wonderful that you will walk the camino again. I will be following your blog as I find your postings so inspirational and insightful!
buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So pleased to hear you are setting off again, Margaret, and on your 10th Camino! I always look forward to reading your posts and have gained so much information and inspiration from the expedience you have shared on the Forum. Buen Camino!!

You have chosen a very auspicious day Margaret, October 14 is the feast day of Saint Fortunata, a martyr born here in this part of the world, Caesarea to be exact. Her name in Hebrew (Mazal-the Hebrew form of Fortuna), Latin, and Aramaic means fortunate or blessed maybe happy with a stretch so it is indeed a good day. Do remember Ecclesiastes 9:11 "I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift…" said King Solomon, one who should know(!), Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino, Margaret! I would love to be walking too! This is the first year for several years now, that we haven't had the possibility to walk. I will be following you! Anne

Last edited:
Have a wonderful Camino Margaret... You are a true inspiration to us all... Looking forward to reading your updates.
Stay safe & well
Paul.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, Margaret! I'm delighted to hear that you are setting off again. May our beautiful N. European Indian summer extend down to the Pyrenees and Cantabrians until December! I lack the stamina for a winter camino, but I hope to track your footsteps some of the way next March. My (turned 80 in June) friend has asked to 'tag along'! I recommended that she read 'All my caminos'--and now we'll have fresh instalments to savour. May the light continue to shine for all of us!

Excited to have M's Camino blog posts appearing again in my feed reader! I wish you well.

So happy to read you will be walking soon.
I have loved following your blogs and feel a little connected having stayed in your Paris Apartment.
AND really looking forward to your posts.

Hope you get a nice start on your camino to day, Margaret. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Margaret -- This popped up in the new posts today during lunch. I am sitting here so moved by your post and sending my wishes for another buen camino! My husband and I were walking near our home this last weekend talking about our planned Camino Primitivo this coming June and about where we will walk after that! The Primitivo will be our second walk. But somehow, I know there will be more. I hope we continue to enjoy the ability to keep walking. I will be following your blog!

Hi Margaret.

I am 78 and unable to walk the camino due to disability problems.

I went on a coach trip from Madrid to Leon, Candas and then Santiago in 2012.

I am a keen photographer and always had a camera with me. Walking round the cathedral in SDC

I saw two ,as I thought, walkers taking each others photos.

Of course I offered to take a couple of the two of them for souveniers.

I asked them if they spoke English and they said Yes.

I took their photos and a couple more for luck. They seemed impressed. I asked them where they came from and was amazed when they said Norway.

I had taken 3 trips to Norway in the winter to get some photos.We went for a drink and they told me about the camino. I had never heard of it before. They had walked ,like many others, from SJPdP.

When I returned to England I read about the film “The Way”, got the DVD and loved it.

In 2013 I took a trip from SJPdP to Santiago. I flew to Biarritz, Express Bourricot to SJPdP, 2 days there and then on to Pamplona. 2 days there,train to Burgos, 2days there, and train again to Santiago.

In total over the 2 years I was in SDC some 6 days. I was lucky enough to see the botafumiero each day

.Since I returned I have checked in on this forum almost every day.

I have read all of your camino walks and love your descriptions and photos.

When you post there is always an elegance of thought for other peregrinos.

You are a virtual encyclopedia of answers for all queries that crop up.

You always seem to have the answer to the many and varied questions that are posed on here daily.

What really pleases me is the way that you give information ,willingly pleasantly, without any bias or taking of sides.

I always look for your posts and will continue to enjoy them.

Have a happy, safe trip to SDC this time and tell us all about it when you get back.

Ultreia!

Suas an bothar leat, Margaret.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
17Leaving_Najera_001.jpg

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
You are soooooo cool!
Buen Camino!

Margaret, I add my wishes and prayers for a rich and full Camino for you!
And thank you for your wisdom and kindness, always so evident in everything you post.
I will be starting off 2 weeks after you, so reading your blog will be like having a new edition
of a great Camino guide book. For that, as well as for your trust in providence and thoughtful sharing, I am most grateful.

Kathryn

If you're like me, you may have forgotten to keep tabs on Margaret as she walks her annual Camino. As is her style, her blog posts are focused on specific events and occurrences and she brings the camino to life with her little snippets. Anyone who has walked a Camino will have many ah hah moments when reading. Her first post in this thread has the link, but here it is as well: http://mscamino.blogspot.com/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I really enjoy reading her blog!

How could I forget. Thanks for the reminder!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you're like me, you may have forgotten to keep tabs on Margaret as she walks her annual Camino. As is her style, her blog posts are focused on specific events and occurrences and she brings the camino to life with her little snippets. Anyone who has walked a Camino will have many ah hah moments when reading. Her first post in this thread has the link, but here it is as well: http://mscamino.blogspot.com/
Thanks Laurie! I have been trying unsuccessfully to search for her Blog for this year, but I just couldn't find it! I was wondering where she was by now. Anne

Loving the blog. What an inspiration is Margaret. Sounds like the weather thus far has been kind.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are times when the tone of this forum and some people on it tempt me to wonder why I come here so often. Your posts are NEVER part of that. In fact, your posts represent everything amazing about this forum, everything that always brings me back. You are a remarkable person and on a perpetual, remarkable journey. Thank you for taking the time to always blog it so that we can all always catch a few glimpses of that journey. And may your journey continue for many more caminos. Buen camino.

Buen Camino, Margaret.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

traditional gaelic blessing

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ouf! Happily the light lasted and after 56 days of walking always carrying my pack yesterday at last I arrived at Santiago!! I am thrilled to be here once again. Besides resting my feet today I plan to slowly revisit the cathedral to give my thanks and also hope to have the pleasure of meeting Ivar.
Thank you all for your kind comments and good wishes these past months.
Ultreia!!
Margaret Meredith

Well done Margaret: I hope you have had a wonderful day in Santiago.

Take care, be safe.

S.

Congratulations, Margaret! Well done! I can just immagine your pleasure, when finally turning left at that last corner to walk onto the Plaza! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back