• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Correos issue - help!

ChristineWaters

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte August 2023
Hi, we have to send suitcases to Casa Ivar but Correos in San Sebastián insist we use paq peregrino to the post office in Santiago. What do we do to get it sent to Casa Ivar?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But that does not go to Casa Ivar? The correos lady wouldn’t let us use the paquete azur that Ivar recommends. I do t understand what others have done to get things to Ivar.

It should go there. I used it in Pamplona and they picked up my suitcase at the albergue and shipped it to Casa Ivar.

*edit @ChristineWaters apologies! I just fished out the mailing label from my email and apparently I sent my luggage via Paq Estádar, used for non-urgent deliveries. I linked the English version for you. Create a Correos account and if you have gmail, it will translate the email from Spanish to English. :)

*edit #2: I printed two pieces of paper with Casa Ivar address on them: I taped one to my suitcase, wrapped the entire suitcase in cling plastic wrap, then taped the second address label over the plastic wrap. No need for a box. My suitcase was airline carry-on size.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you need to put those suitcases inside boxes, then Correos will accept them. They don't ship luggage, they ship parcels.

Note: Has been pointed out that I am wrong here, on Camino they do ship suitcases! Apologies.

Last edited:
Hi, we have to send suitcases to Casa Ivar but Correos in San Sebastián insist we use paq peregrino to the post office in Santiago. What do we do to get it sent to Casa Ivar?
Ivar's own information is here: Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela 2023/2024

Quote:
Please do not ship it with the more economical Pilgrim Rate (PAQ Peregrino). This is cheaper, but it does not include delivery to any address at destination. So I will never receive it. It will stuck at the post office in Santiago (they don’t even tell me that I have something waiting, no notice).
I would ask to send it “Paquete Azul“, that is a rate that works great and it does include delivery to any address at destination.
(I see that you asked for Paquete Azul but there is an issue. Did they give you a reason? Size perhaps?)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All done. Our poor Spanish didn’t help! We came back later to the Correos office and spoke with a staff member who we were able to communicate with in English. We insisted and showed screenshots and eventually worked it out. Thanks everyone for your comments. We are just stressed because we have had a few hiccups at the very start! Buen camino!

paq peregrino goes to a post office to await collect.

To Casa Ivar (an address not a post office) you need regular parcel post.

All done. Our poor Spanish didn’t help! We came back later to the Correos office and spoke with a staff member who we were able to communicate with in English. We insisted and showed screenshots and eventually worked it out. Thanks everyone for your comments. We are just stressed because we have had a few hiccups at the very start! Buen camino!

Well done. Glad it got fixed.

I had some challenges myself this year. Might help others to tell the story.

Things I learned in the process.
Paq Peregrino is for stuff to be held at a Post Office for your collection.
It includes luggage according to their website.
And you have 45 days to collect it.

To mail to an 'address' like Casa Ivar, you use use regular mail.

Long story.

I sent two mailing tubes as 'supply boxes' ahead of myself on the VdlP this year.
They were too long for paq peregrino so went regular mail.
Regular mail is only held for collection at the post office for 15 days I think.

I was a week late arriving for my first supply tube.
It was returned to sender (me)

But............ a tip.

I put the return address as the Post Office in Santiago.

I thought 'no way' it will still be there, when I arrive after 60 days on Camino.
It was!

The guy in the Post Office was amazing and found it out in the back store.
I was lucky!

I also sent a tube or two, to Casa Ivar. Not via paq Peregrino.
No problems at all with that.
A great service by @ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Post Office & Ivar's office really aren't that far apart from each other.
I'm sure he could arrange to have them collected & taken to his storage facility if you asked nicely.
The Post Office can hold & store luggage aswell though, you know.

I think you need to put those suitcases inside boxes, then Correos will accept them. They don't ship luggage, they ship parcels.
Nope. I mailed a suitcase to Ivar without putting it in a box. They just required that the zippers were secured. I think that I used a zip tie.
Things I learned in the process.
Paq Peregrino is for stuff to be held at a Post Office for your collection.
It includes luggage according to their website.
And you have 45 days to collect it
You need to make sure to tell them that you need 45 days storage and pay the extra fee. The standard rate comes with 15 days storage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2015, We were in Viana, day 10 on our 58 day walk to Santiago. I sent stuff ahead using Paq Peregrino and I remember (or mis-remember) a 30 day holding period. I got in touch with the Santiago post office twice from post offices in León and Pontferrada. The package was waiting and there was, surprisingly, no fee. It was a bit stressful in the four post offices as I was sending some expensive gear and no one spoke English. Somehow high school Spanish worked well enough .

Estimate your arrival date and which service will be open. I used Correos but I made sure to arrive on Frday to assure it would be open and a Saturday morning just in case I arrived late on Friday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Estimate your arrival date and which service will be open. I used Correos but I made sure to arrive on Frday to assure it would be open and a Saturday morning just in case I arrived late on Friday.
Good suggestions, but @ChristineWaters has solved her problem

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back