• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crohn’s Disease

montyhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Anyone have experience dealing with Crohn’s Disease or something similar while hiking the Camino? I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease about 16 years ago, and on top of that, I had kidney cancer that was dealt with. My current motto has been: “I have Crohn’s, but Crohn’s doesn’t have me”.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately as I get closer to my “go date” (April 22).
Any thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Which Camino path will you be walking? Some have more infrastructure than others. I think stress reduction is possible once you get walking which may help, but you may also experience dietary changes which could impact as well.

Come prepared for a call of nature between communities and be prepared to spend a little money at stops for the privilege of using their facilities.

Don't let it stop you. Take it slow if you need to...

Which Camino path will you be walking? Some have more infrastructure than others. I think stress reduction is possible once you get walking which may help, but you may also experience dietary changes which could impact as well.

Come prepared for a call of nature between communities and be prepared to spend a little money at stops for the privilege of using their facilities.

Don't let it stop you. Take it slow if you need to...
I’ll be walking the Frances. I plan to walk from SJPDP to Compostela. I’m putting Faith above Fear. I’m in remission and am careful of what I eat. Luckily, eggs and potatoes are great for my diet, and I understand that a very popular dish is made of just that (tortilla, something). This is a large part of my “journey”. It’s part of the “calling” that I feel I must do.
I’m so excited and nervous at the same time. At 59, I’ve never had this yearning before in my life.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I frequently travel with a friend with Crohn’s and she makes a small card (think credit card sized, laminated) in whatever language is applicable in the given country. Briefly outlining what's going on and highlighting the immediate need for bathroom access. That card has frequently helped her gain access to staff bathrooms, get a key fast if bathroom is locked or - on occasion - use private bathrooms. Might be worth thinking about if you aren't fluent in Spanish (even if, it's more private).

Enjoy your Camino! It's a fantastic experience.

I frequently travel with a friend with Crohn’s and she makes a small card (think credit card sized, laminated) in whatever language is applicable in the given country. Briefly outlining what's going on and highlighting the immediate need for bathroom access. That card has frequently helped her gain access to staff bathrooms, get a key fast if bathroom is locked or - on occasion - use private bathrooms. Might be worth thinking about if you aren't fluent in Spanish (even if, it's more private).

Enjoy your Camino! It's a fantastic experience.
That’s a pretty good idea. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also have Chrons though am told thats in remission. Have structured my bi-monthly infusions so that the 60 days between allows me 50 days to walk.

I plan to snack at breakfast an wait 1/2 hr before leaving, then nutribar snacks through the day unless theres somewhere nice with facitities I can use and im not in a rush. I will also take some Imodium with me just incase I have a stomach issue or bug.

Good luck and Buen Camino, the "Emergency Card" idea is brilliant, I will make sure that I carry one.

I’ll be walking the Frances. I plan to walk from SJPDP to Compostela. I’m putting Faith above Fear. I’m in remission and am careful of what I eat. Luckily, eggs and potatoes are great for my diet, and I understand that a very popular dish is made of just that (tortilla, something). This is a large part of my “journey”. It’s part of the “calling” that I feel I must do.
I’m so excited and nervous at the same time. At 59, I’ve never had this yearning before in my life.
In Spain, tortilla is a pie made from egg and potato. A tortilla España has some sort of ham or chorizo / sausage in it. Every cafe along the Camino sells this item. So, once you leave from your accommodations you can stop at nearly any cafe to buy a slice or two. It is very nutritious.

Many pilgrims walk with IBD or Crohn's Disease. Accommodations can be made. Plan for many 'pit stops.' sometimes you will find a cafe or other place where you can use the "bano." Other times, you will need to seek go foliage cover. Consider investing in a bottle-top bidet. The bidet part screws to a standard disposable water bottle. Search it on Google or Amazon. It will help. Practice at home before you travel.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mark, where can I get something like this? I’m leaving next week and the nervous stress isn’t helping my chronic situation. I’m thinking this might be just what I need on the Camino. Thanks.
I’m pretty sure you just grab the nearest teenager and get it copy, paste and printed credit-card sized, or larger. Any local copy-shop would then be able to plastic coat or laminate it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mark, where can I get something like this? I’m leaving next week and the nervous stress isn’t helping my chronic situation. I’m thinking this might be just what I need on the Camino. Thanks.
Just copy and print on card if you can't print on plastic. If you feel the need you can get it laminated. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back