• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 0 in Astorga: what time to arrive, where to stay

jimmy_88

Time of past OR future Camino
would like to go on camino del norte!
Hi guys,

I am arriving by train to Leon tomorrow night (thursday), would like to visit the city a bit the next day (friday) and then start the camino from Astorga (saturday).

By what time should I be in Astorga in order to get a bed? I guess in the early afternoon?

Then I see that I have 3 options:
- Albergue de Astorga in plaza de los Marqueses
- Siervas de Maria in plaza San Francisco [it looks nice!]
- San Javier [got bad reviews recently]

Any tips?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Located on the camino at the eastern edge of town Siervas da Maria is fine! I have stayed there often. There are a multitude of small dorms and WiFi was available last November. The downstairs kitchen is a great meet and greet space. Open all year the albergue is well heated in winter. Near-by are the local Roman ruins and mosaics.

Buen camino!

Mspath got it right. I've also lodged at St Javier-just a bit too crowded, they never say no and often there are pilgrims sleeping or otherwise e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! St Javier has offered discount dinner at the Gaudi Hotel - lovely dining room food was classic pilgrims menu.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All right, thanks! So around what time should I get there to be sure I'm not too late?
They will give priority to pilgrims who have actually walked all the way there, I suppose?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get to Siervas as early as you can. 11:00 was the opening hour last November. There should be no problem that you will be starting to walk from Astorga; they issue Credentials and, thus, are friendly towards 'first nighters'.

San Javier is almost next to the cathedral. It serves a good breakfast. It gets bad marks occasionally for bed bugs, but the hospitality is great. I have been there several times and never had a problem. It is around the corner from the Gaudi Hotel, which has a menu de peregrino (it has been on-again, off-again for some reason). San Javier has cards for the menu.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get to Siervas as early as you can. 11:00 was the opening hour last November. There should be no problem that you will be starting to walk from Astorga; they issue Credentials and, thus, are friendly towards 'first nighters'.

Oh but that's way too early. I wanted to spend the morning in Leon and in any case I can get there by train at the earliest at 2pm. I hope it'll be all right.

Last edited:
Try and get an early start from Astorga, there will be coffee in Castrilo de Polvazeres but thats not the reason to early bird it. Rabanal is only 20k and the Gaucelmo alberge fills fast. The real reason to stop here is not the all so English albergue but the church of course. Don't even consider missing vespers and the Gregorian chants - a perfect first "real" night on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys,

I am arriving by train to Leon tomorrow night (thursday), would like to visit the city a bit the next day (friday) and then start the camino from Astorga (saturday).

By what time should I be in Astorga in order to get a bed? I guess in the early afternoon?

Then I see that I have 3 options:
- Albergue de Astorga in plaza de los Marqueses
- Siervas de Maria in plaza San Francisco [it looks nice!]
- San Javier [got bad reviews recently]

Any tips?

Thanks!
Hi Jimmy, my wife stayed in San Javier in 2013, and I stayed there this year and we both found it very nice. At the time we stayed there it was not that busy. You will have to make a choice for yourself. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter .

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back