• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to stay in Vega de Valcarce?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
I'm browsing around, using the pdf form from the forum and it looks like many albergues and lodgings are permanently closed in Vega de Valcarce.
Anyone knows of places still open there?
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I have stayed in the albergue El Paso several times, and as far as I know they are still open. Lovely hospitaleros, large garden, honesty bar and comfortable beds, I'd recommend it. And make sure you stop at the Rock'n Roll pizza before Vega, or see if they take extras for their communal meal at seven!

Hi, I have stayed in the albergue El Paso several times, and as far as I know they are still open. Lovely hospitaleros, large garden, honesty bar and comfortable beds, I'd recommend it. And make sure you stop at the Rock'n Roll pizza before Vega, or see if they take extras for their communal meal at seven!
Thank you! I was looking at staying at El Paso but on google it said they were temporarily closed. The communal meal you mention is at El Paso?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@camster - no, the El Paso doesn't have a communal dinner, though they do have a kitchen you can use, and there is at least one place to eat very close to the albergue. The Rock'n Roll Pizza restaurant before you get to Vega also has beds and a communal (pizza and salad) meal in the evening, so if you want to try something different, ask if they are open for the communal meal at seven and if you can join?

@camster - no, the El Paso doesn't have a communal dinner, though they do have a kitchen you can use, and there is at least one place to eat very close to the albergue. The Rock'n Roll Pizza restaurant before you get to Vega also has beds and a communal (pizza and salad) meal in the evening, so if you want to try something different, ask if they are open for the communal meal at seven and if you can join?
Ok, I see. Very neat, I'll look it up, thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bummer about El Paso as that would've been my recommendation as well.
Stayed there last June and enjoyed it very much.
As a side note - if on that day you didn't have enough of walking and climbing hills, do climb up to the Saracen castle The views are stupendous

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bummer about El Paso as that would've been my recommendation as well.
Stayed there last June and enjoyed it very much.
As a side note - if on that day you didn't have enough of walking and climbing hills, do climb up to the Saracen castle The views are stupendous
I don’t see anything on Google, Gronze or anywhere else that they are closed. I see positive reviews from a few weeks ago, and their website seems to be working. Boerking also shows availability. I hope someone in the area will chime in — would hate to see them lose business due to an incorrect rumor on this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm browsing around, using the pdf form from the forum and it looks like many albergues and lodgings are permanently closed in Vega de Valcarce.
Anyone knows of places still open there?
Thank you!
There is a wonderful truck stop on the main road. It is frequented by truckers. It is clean, safe and cheap - as hotels go. The rooms are large, the water hot, and the service friendly.

This is the link on Booking.com.

I have stayed there three times. I have never been disappointed. On one morning in early May, I woke up to a snow squall, so I called a taxi to take me up the hill and windy trail to O'Cebreiro

Hope this helps.

Tom

I stayed at El Paso last night. Lovely! Maria is gorgeous.
Great to hear! I agree - would be a BIG shame for them to lose business because of some mis-information.

BTW - in re: my quip about Saracen Castle. After I returned (slightly short of breath and a bit sweaty 😓) Maria looked at me and when I said "Saracen Castle" just shook her head, said "Mucho Loco" and gave me a bottle of water 🤣

3 Pilgrims from that stay are now my friends. All 3 of us moved on to the next albergue (Linar do Rei) and then 1 of them and I went on until I stopped at Barbadello (she walked forth), 1 went towards Samos (but I caught with him 2 more times in passing and we missed each other by 1 day in SdC) and 1 met his family (and I ran into them all) in Mirador O'Pedrouso.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Rock and Roll pizzeria is at the Vagabond Vieiras Albergue at A Portula de Valcarce, a couple of km before Vega de Valcarce. It is owned by a most welcoming American chef and his delightful Danish partner. The fabulous pizza and salad dinner is followed in the morning with fresh made on the spot churros. A wood fired stove warms anyone eating or drinking outside. I have stayed in at least 50 to 80 private albergues. This one is in my top three favorites. Buen Camino

Attachments

• 88E6418D-BAAE-43B1-9D8D-A726AEF35911.jpeg
    88E6418D-BAAE-43B1-9D8D-A726AEF35911.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 64DF57C4-FE61-4163-A4C9-5D068C1F2404.jpeg
    64DF57C4-FE61-4163-A4C9-5D068C1F2404.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 83E0F5A1-926F-4A90-A7B1-D4A975AA785B.jpeg
    83E0F5A1-926F-4A90-A7B1-D4A975AA785B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
I am on the camino now. We stayed at Pension Fernández and it was wonderful! I have also stayed at El Paso, it is open and is lovely with very attentive hosts.

I am resting in my room at Pension Fernandez as we speak, or should I say as we write. I am overlooking the river and enjoying the sound of that and the cow out there that moos occasionally. Very comfortable room, great shower, and she leaves some snacks for you plus a bottle of water in the room. This is great because I am too tired to go try to find dinner. It was hot today! Breakfast is included too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don’t see anything on Google, Gronze or anywhere else that they are closed. I see positive reviews from a few weeks ago, and their website seems to be working. Boerking also shows availability. I hope someone in the area will chime in — would hate to see them lose business due to an incorrect rumor on this forum.
On the day I googled it, it had that mention in red. I went to post a screenshot and it's not there anymore.

The Rock and Roll pizzeria is at the Vagabond Vieiras Albergue at A Portula de Valcarce, a couple of km before Vega de Valcarce. It is owned by a most welcoming American chef and his delightful Danish partner. The fabulous pizza and salad dinner is followed in the morning with fresh made on the spot churros. A wood fired stove warms anyone eating or drinking outside. I have stayed in at least 50 to 80 private albergues. This one is in my top three favorites. Buen Camino
It looks like a ton of fun, plus the food looks very delicious. I'll be sure to check it out, thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I want to echo the recommendation for The Vagabond: we had a delightful experience at the Pilgrim dinner-brilliant pizza and a delicious salad. The best part was vivid conversation and laughter amongst our group, with very helpful translations by our hosts when needed. Rooms were clean and quiet. Rain poured down the afternoon we arrived, and it was grand to sit on the covered porch and watch it come down.

I want to echo the recommendation for The Vagabond: we had a delightful experience at the Pilgrim dinner-brilliant pizza and a delicious salad. The best part was vivid conversation and laughter amongst our group, with very helpful translations by our hosts when needed. Rooms were clean and quiet. Rain poured down the afternoon we arrived, and it was grand to sit on the covered porch and watch it come down.
Thank you for sharing, I'll definitely have a look and a slice 😉

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.