• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do i need a GPS system to cycle the Camino Frances?

Catherine Mcdonald

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to cycle the camino from 24th october 2016
Hi all!! i set out for St Jean next week and i am confused as to whether i will need a Garmin/GPS system for my bike or not!! Will i find my way without one? Or is it a good idea to have one on hand.. i have a couple of guide books and lots of people are suggesting that i may not even need them with reference to the route and how well it's marked out etc..

Many Thanks in Advance from an Excited first time Pilgim!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Catherine Mcdonald ;-)

No, you don't need a GPS on the Camino Francés if you have a guide book that tells you when part of the way isn't possible on a bike and when to switch to the road. Just take your time, drive slowly, keep a look-out for those yellow arrows and use your bell when approaching other pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

No, you don't need a GPS on the Camino Francés if you have a guide book that tells you when part of the way isn't possible on a bike and when to switch to the road. Just take your time, drive slowly, keep a look-out for those yellow arrows and use your bell when approaching other pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

Hi, many thanks for your reply!! i have 3 guide books.. but only one for cycling! Can you recommend a book that would be useful? as the one i have suggests using the road route only :( Thank you again.. all advice is greatly appreciated!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all!! i set out for St Jean next week and i am confused as to whether i will need a Garmin/GPS system for my bike or not!! Will i find my way without one? Or is it a good idea to have one on hand.. i have a couple of guide books and lots of people are suggesting that i may not even need them with reference to the route and how well it's marked out etc.. Many Thanks in Advance from an Excited first time Pilgim!!!

Hola Catherine - if you have a GPS that is set up for the bike you will use - and has maps for Nth Spain then you could "throw it in". The yellow arrows & in some towns the pilgrim scallop shells will lead you all the way from St Jean to Santiago - but not on some of the sealed roads!

But to answer your question NO - I had a copy of the Brierley guide & the Michelin "Camino de Santiago" (thanks to David). The Brierley was useful for "in town navigation - finding an albergue or hotel etc; the Michelin had better road identification (route numbers etc) so it was the one that was readily accessible. May I suggest that if you have a spare 30 minutes you review some of the post under the section "cycling the Camino" (at least I think thats what is called). You will see some really useful posts on Camino conditions - when to follow the walkers; when to take the roads. Those by newfydog are really useful - mine something to give you a laugh. (As for where to get the Michelin - it might be available at the pilgrim office in St Jean or Pamplona). Cheers for now & Buen Camino.

Hi, many thanks for your reply!! i have 3 guide books.. but only one for cycling! Can you recommend a book that would be useful? as the one i have suggests using the road route only :( Thank you again.. all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Follow - up. If your French is really good there is a Camino Cycle Guide - but its only available in French language. It does provide route guidance - such as when to follow the Camino and when to take to the roads. Not sure if you would be able to get a copy in St Jean - I bought mine via Amazon - my French not really good enough but I could understand what the map sections were recommending. Something else I forgot - Spain, like much of Europe is almost cycle mad so there are cycle repair shops in most towns. The one in Pamplona - almost on the Camino route - was very helpful as were the ones in Leon and Santiago. Something else that was recommended - if you have to ride in wet weather / mud etc take the bike to an "auto car wash" - you should find them in most larger cities and give the bike a good wash. I think I have included contact details for some of the cycle shops mentioned above. Cheers

Hola Catherine - if you have a GPS that is set up for the bike you will use - and has maps for Nth Spain then you could "throw it in". The yellow arrows & in some towns the pilgrim scallop shells will lead you all the way from St Jean to Santiago - but not on some of the sealed roads!

But to answer your question NO - I had a copy of the Brierley guide & the Michelin "Camino de Santiago" (thanks to David). The Brierley was useful for "in town navigation - finding an albergue or hotel etc; the Michelin had better road identification (route numbers etc) so it was the one that was readily accessible. May I suggest that if you have a spare 30 minutes you review some of the post under the section "cycling the Camino" (at least I think thats what is called). You will see some really useful posts on Camino conditions - when to follow the walkers; when to take the roads. Those by newfydog are really useful - mine something to give you a laugh. (As for where to get the Michelin - it might be available at the pilgrim office in St Jean or Pamplona). Cheers for now & Buen Camino.

Thank you!! i do not have a GPS... so was wondering whether i needed to get one!! Thank you also for the tips!! I will try and find the thread/post now.. wondering if the Michelin is available on line?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Follow - up. If your French is really good there is a Camino Cycle Guide - but its only available in French language. It does provide route guidance - such as when to follow the Camino and when to take to the roads. Not sure if you would be able to get a copy in St Jean - I bought mine via Amazon - my French not really good enough but I could understand what the map sections were recommending. Something else I forgot - Spain, like much of Europe is almost cycle mad so there are cycle repair shops in most towns. The one in Pamplona - almost on the Camino route - was very helpful as were the ones in Leon and Santiago. Something else that was recommended - if you have to ride in wet weather / mud etc take the bike to an "auto car wash" - you should find them in most larger cities and give the bike a good wash. I think I have included contact details for some of the cycle shops mentioned above. Cheers

Brilliant.. thank you again!! Unfortunately my French & Spanish are terrible!!! Hoping to learn alot whilst on the Camino :) I will check the guide out though.. i heard there were sign posts to indicate the way for cyclists? am i dreaming in thinking this too be true? easy to follow etc!!! ;)

Thank you!! i do not have a GPS... so was wondering whether i needed to get one!! Thank you also for the tips!! I will try and find the thread/post now.. wondering if the Michelin is available on line?
It probably is - but timing might be the issue - how long to get it posted. Or do you mean "is it available as an e_book?"Again not sure. Try either of these web sites: www.michelin-boutique.com; or www.viamichelin.fr. If your Spanish or French is passable try this email address: cartes@tp.michelin.com. Cheers

Brilliant.. thank you again!! Unfortunately my French & Spanish are terrible!!! Hoping to learn alot whilst on the Camino :) I will check the guide out though.. i heard there were sign posts to indicate the way for cyclists? am i dreaming in thinking this too be true? easy to follow etc!!! ;)
Too Easy?? - some of it is a dream; some of it a nightmare (or at least it was for me - such as the climb from Pamplona to the alto del Perdon - but there is a diversion from Cizur Menor (goes to the left via Galar - and comes into Puente La Reina via Eunate). The other real nightmare was the section between San Juan de Ortega (actually after Atapuerca) to Burgos. I had to get off and walk nearly 2 km of this section so if you can find a diversion via Olmos great. One thing I did forget - bikes are not permitted on Spanish Motorways (usually the major highways marked in Red - they are usually classified as A+a number ( A6 or A11) but in some cases they are listed as N-120 or N-11. This was where the Michelin was useful as it did show the roads as well as the Camino. As an alternative to a GPS if you have a smart phone there is an app - Galileo - costs about $7 and you can down load all of Spain and then zoom in the places you need. Cheers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take your smartphone. Download maps.me
(iOS/Android). Then download the offline maps for Spain, or at least the region in the route. Download the kml file for Camino Frances.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/386849-camino-de-santiago-2009/#/z6/42.7228038,-4.8999023/terrain

While you are at it download Camino Frances app too. All free. (Except smartphone)

Keep one paper guide as backup.

Recommend unlock phone so you can also buy a prepaid SIM card in Spain with 2 GB data for 15 euros. The phone will use the cell tower triangulation instead of GPS so you get your current way faster (in addition it does not take any of your data allowance).

Too Easy?? - some of it is a dream; some of it a nightmare (or at least it was for me - such as the climb from Pamplona to the alto del Perdon - but there is a diversion from Cizur Menor (goes to the left via Galar - and comes into Puente La Reina via Eunate). The other real nightmare was the section between San Juan de Ortega (actually after Atapuerca) to Burgos. I had to get off and walk nearly 2 km of this section so if you can find a diversion via Olmos great. One thing I did forget - bikes are not permitted on Spanish Motorways (usually the major highways marked in Red - they are usually classified as A+a number ( A6 or A11) but in some cases they are listed as N-120 or N-11. This was where the Michelin was useful as it did show the roads as well as the Camino. As an alternative to a GPS if you have a smart phone there is an app - Galileo - costs about $7 and you can down load all of Spain and then zoom in the places you need. Cheers.

Easy as in sign posted!! I am not expecting this to be an easy journey at all.. hoping i am fit enough and my bike doesn't break to pieces haha ;) just realised i have a John Brierly Guide already.. so perhaps the addition of a Michelin will be worth while backpack space? Most worried about parts of the route that are impassable for bikes.. and then finding an alternative etc.. Yes i have been told to look for apps!! Again.. no idea where to start as there are so many!! Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Take your smartphone. Download maps.me
(iOS/Android). Then download the offline maps for Spain, or at least the region in the route. Download the kml file for Camino Frances.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/386849-camino-de-santiago-2009/#/z6/42.7228038,-4.8999023/terrain

While you are at it download Camino Frances app too. All free. (Except smartphone)

Keep one paper guide as backup.

Recommend unlock phone so you can also buy a prepaid SIM card in Spain with 2 GB data for 15 euros. The phone will use the cell tower triangulation instead of GPS so you get your current way faster (in addition it does not take any of your data allowance).

Hi, i've downloaded Maps.me but it seems difficult to download each region of the camino.. so many etc!!! I will look for the Camino Frances App (suitable for cyclists?) and i have seen the bike map app and wondered if it's any good? also will consider the extra sim card.. thank you!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
300+ megs for whole of Spain. I just download the whole country and store it in my sd card on my android phone.

To download only the region, zoom in to your starting point. The app will ask if you want to download that area. Then while zoom in, move westward towards Santiago and pick up the other offline maps along the way. That should reduce the amount of storage needed.

On android phone, tap on the kml and it will suggest maps.me. Say yes and it will load the route. For iphone, sent the kml as an attachment to yourself. Then tap on the attachment to do the same thing.

You have to consider that this month there will be rain, so really muddy paths. I remember that in some sections from Hornillos to Hontanas many cyclists had to dismount and carry their bycicle, because it was impossible to them.
I noticed, too, that cyclists avoid the Mostelares high, after Castrojeriz. It is a serious climb (although with great sights from the top). They make a detour by the paved road to Mota de Judíos, then Itero de la Vega.
You will find a lot of Italian cyclists (apparently this is a very popular sport in their country)
Good ride! (and please, please, bring a bell).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would say you do not need a GPS and that you can find your way with the guide books you have and some simple maps. Personally I would keep off the footpaths on the Pyrenees, Alto de Perdon and Montes de Leon though elsewhere in the right weather and with respect to walkers they can be worthwhile.

Around San Juan de Ortega we took the country road via the BU703 and 701 but there is still a main road into town and climbs. As suggested we avoided the Mostelares as there seemed no point in going over it.

You could also use Google maps. Use the bike option. It will give alternative routes, and you can get a satellite overlay. It will sometimes send you down somewhat rough tracks. It will depend a bit on what sort of bike you have if this is suitable. Remember that where there is a parallel motorway the old road will usually be quiet.

You could also use Google maps. Use the bike option. It will give alternative routes, and you can get a satellite overlay. It will sometimes send you down somewhat rough tracks. It will depend a bit on what sort of bike you have if this is suitable. Remember that where there is a parallel motorway the old road will usually be quiet.

Great tip thank you :) Tried google maps.. but i need offline maps so am currently looking into maps.me and i have downloaded the camino frances app also..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all!! i set out for St Jean next week and i am confused as to whether i will need a Garmin/GPS system for my bike or not!! Will i find my way without one? Or is it a good idea to have one on hand.. i have a couple of guide books and lots of people are suggesting that i may not even need them with reference to the route and how well it's marked out etc..

Hi Catherine I used TrekRight as an app on my Camino earlier this year and found it invaluable there is a small charge but well worth the money you download the maps to your phone and it uses your phones GPS so no data charges. Also has elevation charts so you know what climbs are ahead of you that day . Yes the route is well marked but in my opinion when you are cycling it is easy to miss the arrows as you are concentrating on the path ahead and the speed you are going makes it easier to miss also in the bigger city's the markers are on the footpath so easy to miss from the road so I would definitely recommend GPS . I assume you are using a mountain bike as a street bike could not cope with the off road conditions.Wishing you well in your adventure I loved it Alan

Just use the maps.me. No need to spend more money unless required. Free app, free maps, kml track support. Last app update even has support for elevation.

Just 2 more things you might want to consider that cost money (optional)

1. A bike mount for the phone. I didm't have it and sometimes along the way I wish I had.
2. A battery pack if you mobile phone runs down too fast. My current android has a 5000 mAh battery (roughly double most mobile phone's battery and last almost 3 days with regular use) so I didn't need it. You probably should get it if you are using iPhone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Catherine I used TrekRight as an app on my Camino earlier this year and found it invaluable there is a small charge but well worth the money you download the maps to your phone and it uses your phones GPS so no data charges. Also has elevation charts so you know what climbs are ahead of you that day . Yes the route is well marked but in my opinion when you are cycling it is easy to miss the arrows as you are concentrating on the path ahead and the speed you are going makes it easier to miss also in the bigger city's the markers are on the footpath so easy to miss from the road so I would definitely recommend GPS . I assume you are using a mountain bike as a street bike could not cope with the off road conditions.Wishing you well in your adventure I loved it Alan

Hi Alan!! yes i have a mountain bike :) ok will look into that app as well!!! thank you... cannot wait :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes. There have been two bike fatalities of which I am aware. No other vehicles involved.

I thought the walking path had a lot of loose rock but this road video looks pretty adrenaline inducing also
Buen (and safe) Camino!

I would greatly appreciate knowing the road route cycling guide book name as we are planning to cycle camino Frances Oct. 2017. Thank you.

I love the "use your bell". Indeed !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

May I also get clarity - we are cycling in 2 weeks time. Would prefer to stick to walking route as much as possible, but will need to take a few of the recommended detour road bits. I downloaded all sorts of gpx files, etc but how do I make them give me turn by turn navigation? Seems google maps navigation does not use google maps - my maps for navigation. Just shows the stationary map. Cycling one needs a gps as you may easily miss a small sign, especially on a bypass bit. Is there no navigable version that I can use in google maps? Or simple phone based talks to me navigation? I found the maps.me app very confusing.

Why not put Sitytrail, bikemap or open runner on your phone and import the gpx files? I find open runner most user friendly myself but it's up to you. Open runner is free, uses open Street map. Bikemap and Sitytrail have a free version. You can buy better maps. It's probably a good idea to check out which you like before leaving.
I'm assuming you are using a European SIM card. If not then don't use bikemap as the offline maps are only available for the paid version. Sity trail does turn by turn, at least on the beta version, but it's a bit buggy. Google maps will give you a bike route, which works, but sometimes uses some truly awful tracks.
Or you could just wing it on the road bits. You know, head in the right general direction and look for signs.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.