• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does this path have plenty of hostels? Are they crowded?

jcheneyjc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in early spring, 2007, and even then, there was a mad dash every day to get a bed in a hostel. Commercial companies were just starting to bring cycling and walking groups, let alone independent walkers. I'd like to walk another Camino and not be alone, but not feel like I need to rush every day. Is Norte for me - and if not, what about VDLP? Thanks. jcheneyjc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When are you planning to go? I walked the Norte in July, and there often weren't enough albergue beds for the pilgrims walking at that time. The infrastructure is not as good as the Francés, especially for summer walkers, because it is high season on the northern coast and there is competition with tourists for beds. There are albergues dedicated to pilgrims with credentials, but many are quite small.
It's a beautiful route, but I found that I needed to plan my accommodations more carefully than on the Francés.

When I walked the Norte in 2017 from mid-May to end of June, finding beds was not an issue. As @trecile mentioned, July and also August are high season on the Norte. If you avoid those months finding accommodation isn't likely to be an issue.

The VDLP, like the Norte, depends on time of year. March-early May are the most popular months for that route. For both routes, I would take a look at gronze.com to get an idea about what's available accommodation wise. You could also check out the end-of-year data to get an idea about how many are on each route during each month. I've walked both and found that there were enough other pilgrims around to make it interesting, but certainly not crowded. Every year will be different and you won't know until you try.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in early spring, 2007, and even then, there was a mad dash every day to get a bed in a hostel. Commercial companies were just starting to bring cycling and walking groups, let alone independent walkers. I'd like to walk another Camino and not be alone, but not feel like I need to rush every day. Is Norte for me - and if not, what about VDLP? Thanks. jcheneyjc

Jcheneyjc:

I walked my Norte in April. There was plenty of accommodation and I was never alone in the Albergue. The Primitivo could be another option for you. No accommodation issues in the Spring. I will be walking the VdlP this Spring.

The Norte is a beautiful walk along the sea. There are a lot of 500m climbs, especially in the beginning.

The Primitivo is a rural Norte with mountains to the south instead of seascapes.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I've walked both:
- Del Norte May 2016
- VdlP August/September 2018

Both walked without making reservations, never having any problems with finding accomodation (stayed only in albergues). No 'bed-races' whatsoever and still enough pilgrims around to have a good time with. And plenty of time to walk on my own during the day.

I just walked the Norte from late September- October. It was a little crowded some nights in Albergues early on. I tend to leave early in the morning just because I like to. Never had an issue. There were some full Albergues but they were smaller ones. Often there were alternatives if it was full. Another Albergue or a more expensive hostel. A few nights I booked ahead because of small Albergues and the alternative was a longer walk that I didn’t want to do. At 64 the Norte can be tough! Unlike the Frances after big towns you didn’t see new people arrive just people leaving. As I got further from Santander I saw less and less people. Some nights there were just 4 or 5 of us in an Albergue and there were at least 3 or 4 nights I was alone. Some of those Albergues were really cold at night. Sometimes colder inside then out. Lots of days I didn’t see more than 1 or 2 pilgrims a day. It got more crowded a week out as you had those people walking for their 100k credential. Beautiful Camino. Lots of road walking but their are lots of alternate routes. The hills are tough!$ the views spectacular.
Met a good friend in Santiago that had walked the VDLP. We had met on the Portugues year before. Was having breakfast at San Martin Pinario and looked up and there was my friend!
He said it was brutally hot on the de la Plata. He was alone most nights and had to walk really long stages. Some I think were 35k +.
He said you had to be done walking by 1 pm because it was too hot. It approached 45C some days. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spend a little extra, use bookong.com, book your next night's stay the night begore

Like any travel, seasonal and economic variations occur on the Camino. My six week 2015 El Norte in the spring was piggy backing on accommodations with friends we met early, but those same rooms were available on the Internet as well. Except for the first group Camino, my subsequent trek overnights in Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy were elected after a half day of progress. The $10/day charge for internet cellular data is both a lifeline and a convenience like your energy rations. Weather, topography, interesting cities, and low energy days all dictate your progress. Planning is a disadvantage in the pursuit of adventure.

but not feel like I need to rush every day. Is Norte for me - and if not, what about VDLP?
The Camino del Norte has the third most pilgrims, over 19,000 last year. Infrastructure has not kept pace with growth (13,000 five years ago), so you can expect a bed race. Non-albergue accommodation is your best backup source for a bed.

VDLP is fairly steady in the last five years at 9,000 pilgrims, so it will not have the bed race.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in June/July 2017 and didn't have trouble finding a bed. However, my walking partner and I did stay in several hotels along the way, which we booked on the spot. All were under 50E per night so under 25E each. Buen Camino.

Jcheneyjc:

I walked my Norte in April. There was plenty of accommodation and I was never alone in the Albergue. The Primitivo could be another option for you. No accommodation issues in the Spring. I will be walking the VdlP this Spring.

The Norte is a beautiful walk along the sea. There are a lot of 500m climbs, especially in the beginning.

The Primitivo is a rural Norte with mountains to the south instead of seascapes.

Ultreya,
Joe
The Norte is wonderful. Much nicer than the Frances. Not busy in Sept and great weather

Norte in June 2018. Wonderful route. Just enough people. Had 3 "completo" albergues but they weren't exclusive to pilgrims so not a surprise. Always found other options nearby.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've walked Norte beginning in Irun, in June last year and The Via de la Plata beginning the end of April in 2014. Never had a problem finding a bed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back