• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Downtown Madrid to Pamplona

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
Hi

I am planning to fly into Madrid. People say one of the best ways to get
to Pamplona from the Madrid Airport is to go to Terminal 4 and take a bus
directly to Pamplona. I believe that other people take a taxi or bus
to a renfe train station then take the train to Pamplona

But, while I am in Madrid, I would like to go to the Museo Sofia Reina
and see Picasso's Guernica Painting. So I am going to need some help
figuring this one out.

First I need transportation from the Airport to the Museum or to a
hotel, etc, that's near the Museum. I do believe that I would want
to stay overnight unless I arrive really early in the morning, go to
the Museum, then take a bus/train to Pamplona later in the day.
Then, the next day I would need to take the Train/Bus to Pamplona.

So, I need advice on the following things
1. Transportation from the Madrid Airport to the Museum or Nearby Lodging.
2. Lodging recommendations in Madrid near the Museum
3. How to get to Pamplona from downtown Madrid instead of the Airport.

Thanks in advance for your help

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The museum is close to Atocha rail station, direct link from the airport on the Cercanias, then easy walking distance (even with a pack).

I never recommend hotels because then I'd have to find another one ;). Sadly Berking.con is the resolution of that question these days.

Trains run from Atocha to Pamplona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you aren’t landing in Terminal 4, the airport bus that goes straight to Atocha (recommended by @J Wilhaus in another thread) might be easier. If you land in T4, Cercanías is quick and cheap. (Getting to T4 from the other building involves about a 10-15 minute ride on the free intra-airport bus).

The area around Atocha used to be kind of seedy, but the opening of the Reina Sofía has really changed it. I haven’t spent the night in the area, but I know that forum members have recommended Urban Sea Atocha 113

I also remembered that @Anniesantiago had an Atocha favorite (which she was willing to disclose ;)), so look at this thread. It’s the Hostal Residencia Fernandez. Two minutes from the museum and right across the street from the station.

And as @Tinca pointed out, if you spend the night near Atocha and the museum, train to Pamplona will be easy.

Exit the airport, catch the Airport express bus ( about 6E cash pay on bus). It goes to Madrid . Stay on until it reaches Atocha train/bus station. Exit , cross the street. You are standing facing the Sophia Reina . It is beside the big white Hotel Medio Dia. Behind it is a hotel called Sleep in Atocha If you walk up Atocha Ave there are several Hostals on both sides of the street. Or just across the plaza( in front of the Museum entrance) there is a Hostal Residencia Fernandaz (on the 2nd floor). .. I always found it easier to just take the airport bus from Atocha station back to the airport and catch the ALSA bus to Pamplona or Burgos etc. Good luck!

Last edited:
The AVE train service from Atocha to Pamplona is super fast and comfortable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last September I flew overnight from the US to Madrid, arriving about 9 am. Jetlagged, I took a taxi (30 euros) from the airport directly to the Reina Sophia Museo, for your same purpose, to see Picasso's Guernica. It was worth it. I then took a taxi to OK Hostel, about 2 - 3 km north. It was great! Very early next morning I again took a taxi to Atocha station and had a delightful train ride to Pamplona. Taxis are clean, fast and easy for the jetlagged. Buen Camino.

Hi

figuring this one out.

Something I would decide upon arrival. Too many variables. Flight delays, waiting for luggage, gate or terminal changes, etc. Make a left instead of a right on the way to catch the flight/train/bus and all your plans are changed. So get off the plane and take a deep breath. Suggestion: make hard copies of the Airport and Metro map and have it handy.

I'm no help with the logistics of getting there. If you haven't already, check the Museums website for free entry times. The last time we were there we hit it perfectly after leaving the Prado. (Happy accident) Especially if the Guernica is the only thing you want to see there. Lots of interesting information of the civil war in the same area.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi

figuring this one out.

I am doing roughly the same in early April. Bus airport to atocha, staying overnight at Hostal Delfina (recommended elsewhere on this blog and looks good and good value - single 32 Euros) well located and easy walk to Reina Sofia and Atocha for early morning train to Pamplona

I was told there's also a bus you can catch from Terminal 1 to Puerte de Atocha?

I am doing roughly the same in early April. Bus airport to atocha, staying overnight at Hostal Delfina (recommended elsewhere on this blog and looks good and good value - single 32 Euros) well located and easy walk to Reina Sofia and Atocha for early morning train to Pamplona
I recommended Hostal Delfina on another thread. It was a good place to stay. We happened to visit Reina Sofia on a Sunday afternoon when admission was free!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Be sure to check the museum hours ahead. Last fall my husband arrived (in the rain) and they were closing right be as he got there. Also getting tickets ahead may save you from a wait in line. The same with the Prado which is across the way. You could spend several days seeing these wonderful museums.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yup. The Aerobús runs every 15 minutes direct to Atocha. It’s the final stop, so you can’t miss it. Cash only €5, no change for more than a €10 note. Loads of accommodation nearby. Pension Gonzalo is a favourite. If you want to try the smallest room on the planet (although immaculate and well staffed) try sleep’n Atocha. If you’re overnighting then the bars on Calle Jesus are good, cheap and friendly, especially Los Gatos (only one bar stool, which is ordinarily my wife’s, but you can use it) If you want to walk less than a mile then Hostal Mayor on Sol is excellent value.

Train has to be booked in advance, but is cheap. Allow time for queues at the station and pre-departure security. Also the entrance to Atocha isn’t where any rational human would place it.

The areas round train stations, and ports for that matter, are usually the roughest in town; but Madrid’s an honourable exception. It’s not a church-outing, so keep your eyes open; but if you’re allowed to cross the road on your own it’s nothing to be concerned about.

However - Pick your area for an evening stroll with care. Just north of the Gran Via, those insubstantially dressed schoolgirls, are not schoolgirls. A friend told me.

Yup. The Aerobús runs every 15 minutes direct to Atocha. It’s the final stop, so you can’t miss it. Cash only €5, no change for more than a €10 note. Loads of accommodation nearby. Pension Gonzalo is a favourite. If you want to try the smallest room on the planet (although immaculate and well staffed) try sleep’n Atocha. If you’re overnighting then the bars on Calle Jesus are good, cheap and friendly, especially Los Gatos (only one bar stool, which is ordinarily my wife’s, but you can use it) If you want to walk less than a mile then Hostal Mayor on Sol is excellent value.

Train has to be booked in advance, but is cheap. Allow time for queues at the station and pre-departure security. Also the entrance to Atocha isn’t where any rational human would place it.

The areas round train stations, and ports for that matter, are usually the roughest in town; but Madrid’s an honourable exception. It’s not a church-outing, so keep your eyes open; but if you’re allowed to cross the road on your own it’s nothing to be concerned about.

However - Pick your area for an evening stroll with care. Just north of the Gran Via, those insubstantially dressed schoolgirls, are not schoolgirls. A friend told me.
Very helpful info. Thank you. I will avoid all school girls just to be sure. 😆

Good to know to have small bills/coins for the bus! I think I have a stash of leftover euro coinage I need to dig out, too.

I already booked my train. What time would you get there to have plenty of time to get through security?

I think I’m just going to book near the train station and maybe save the Plaza for when I return. It just sounds easier.

Thanks again everyone!

You usually go through security right before boarding. They just run your suitcase thorugh a scanner and you step through a gate. They will put the number of your platform up on a signboard maybe 30 minutes ahead of time and you will go into that platform at the time of boarding. It is not like airport security where you go into another part of the terminal and wait after passing security.

Very helpful info. Thank you. I will avoid all school girls just to be sure. 😆

Good to know to have small bills/coins for the bus! I think I have a stash of leftover euro coinage I need to dig out, too.

I already booked my train. What time would you get there to have plenty of time to get through security?

I think I’m just going to book near the train station and maybe save the Plaza for when I return. It just sounds easier.

Thanks again everyone!
Get there a clear half-hour before departure.

Info I posted on another thread:

The third time I did my camino, I took the bus from the airport to Atocha Train Station. Stayed at a cheap hotel, (I believe) CC Atocha right by the train station. Game plan was to stay there for 2 nights and then get the train to Pamplona. The Prado Musuem and the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, are about a 5 minute walk.

Notes: Being by Atocha, you are in the center of Madrid. There are a series of hotels by the train station, ranging from inexpensive to expensive. Trains to Pamplona also leave from Atocha.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Buen Camino.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back