A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Elevation Gain on Camino Frances

stevelm1

Recovering Perigrino
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sep-Oct 2015, I plan to walk the Camino Portuguese in Sep 2019.
After I did a search of the site (and the web) I was surprised to not find one post on the total elevation gain while walking the Camino Frances. Perhaps I am just a poor searcher, so if someone can point me to the information that would be great, or if you have it and are willing to share, that too would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Advertisment

stevelm1

Recovering Perigrino
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
My own checking of GPS tracks and analysis tools show that the cumlative elevation gain from SJPdP to the high points on the Valcarlos and Napoleon routes are about the same. Although the high point of the Valcarlos route is substantially lower than the one on the Napoleon there are a lot more ups and downs.

Advertisment

stevelm1

Recovering Perigrino
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues next year and am starting to plan my training for the walk. I used the height measurement to get an average height gain per week to give me a number to train to for a while (I know they are different trails). I expect to walk more than 1000 training miles before I start the Camino. I can do this because I am retired. ;-)

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues next year and am starting to plan my training for the walk. I used the height measurement to get an average height gain per week to give me a number to train to for a while (I know they are different trails). I expect to walk more than 1000 training miles before I start the Camino. I can do this because I am retired. ;-)
Why would you search for Camino Frances elevation/profile info if you are going to walk Caminho Portugues??? :):):)
Use the same links I posted and look at the Portugues... Easy peasy.

Bom Caminho!

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
My biggest elevation gain per a Fitbit was from Ruitelan to Fonfria. That surprised me. It was 200 floors, about 2,000 feet. There is a surprising amount of "undulating" terrain with a couple of known climbs to La Faba and O Cebreiro.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
Wait, if you end up with a net elevation gain between SJPP and Finisterre at the ocean, does that mean SJPP is at an altitude below sea level?

NomadBoomer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (September 2017), Vdlp (April 2018)
Wow that is some serious training for the Portuguese. You could do the Frances twice

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
Wait, if you end up with a net elevation gain between SJPP and Finisterre at the ocean, does that mean SJPP is at an altitude below sea level?
I think they were talking about total/cumulative rather than net elevation gain :):) St Jean sits around 180m above sea level (varies a bit with all its ups and downs). But I'm enjoying the image of a below-sea-level version of the place!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
I think they were talking about total/cumulative rather than net elevation gain :):) St Jean sits around 180m above sea level (varies a bit with all its ups and downs). But I'm enjoying the image of a below-sea-level version of the place!
Except that the first link, which the OP said provided exactly what was required said:
  • Elevation Gain: 18,666 meters (61,240 feet)
  • Elevation Loss: 17,778 meters (58,328 feet)
That seems to work out to a net elevation gain, implying that the elevation at the end, on the shores of the Atlantic, is higher than the elevation in SJPP.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
Except that the first link, which the OP said provided exactly what was required said:
That seems to work out to a net elevation gain, implying that the elevation at the end, on the shores of the Atlantic, is higher than the elevation in SJPP.
The finish point might be SdC (above sea level) but something still looks off.

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
Those figures would seem to imply that, yes! Weird.... Well - unless you and I are both missing something (or the cliffs at Finisterre are a lot higher than I thought!:eek:), I think the guy whose website gives those numbers made a mistake.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will confirm this (or point out how those numbers could be correct after all!) and perhaps provide a source for accurate elevation gains/losses to help the OP.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 102 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.4%