• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Epicamino

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's my resting place today. The Aitzenea, rough and ready, but all the important stuff like washing machines, kitchen etc.
PANO_20190512_132145.jpg
Going to get to Sarria tomorrow, or close to it. Should I be worried about a bed, with the increase in pilgrim numbers?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recognize that tree.

It's Sunday, the Spanish crowd should have departed Sarria over the weekend, certainly by tomorrow morning. You may have those who had longer travels to get there starting tomorrow or Tuesday. Sarria can absorb a lot. If you do find it difficult to find a bed, get your stamp and head to the next village.

Your bigger risk is catching up to them!

Consider stopping in Samos for a short day and a delightful monastery & village!

----
The restaurant/bar at Compexo where you are now, does a €5 breakfast buffet. Really good value. Coffee, juice, cereal, fruit, breads, cheese, jabon.

That buffet generally needs to be booked the day before.

Up and out by 5.30...today is going to be a hot one so I don't want to be walking much after 12.
I pass a vista like this every few minutes it feels like, and each one is as magical as the last my fellow pilgrims. 😁
PANO_20190513_070711.jpgIMG_20190513_064954.jpgIMG_20190513_063918.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know if you are still walking but if when you have wifi you download maps.me - its free! and download the parts of france and spain you will travel through. Then when you are offline - you can still use the maps and zoom in AND it tells you where you are!! invaluable instead of or in conjunction with a map... I used it cycling in Asia and it was brill as there were no maps with a decent scale...
Also you can zoom into a section and 'snap' a screenshot - even easier to follow a section... (I was soooo chuffed learning to screenshot..!)
Great journey Pilgrim, an epic pilgrimage indeed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David, I hope you don't mind if I use the quotation, to post on another thread (the one about a cyclist who is non religious asking about using albergues) ... shoot me if you like. if it helps @baker_999, I know you will approve!
I'm not sure if I understand... I'm tired 😂... but everything meets with my approval at the moment. 😁
(Now here's the pictures I came to post:)
IMG_20190513_102827.jpgIMG_20190513_104315.jpgIMG_20190513_100018.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walk right on through and stay in Morgade. Much more low-key.
Yes...remember how SJPP felt?
Multiply that by 1000.
;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry!:confused:
But it's only 4, David. You can be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail...
Edit...disregard, David. I'm behind you, clearly.;)
Thanks @Kathar1na !

Erm ... I don’t get some of the recent comments, like the one about map.me and the one about SJPP times 1000. @david1 has walked really lots by now and he’s past Sarria, well into Galicia ... so he’s certainly found his way and he has already joined the many on the last 100+ km stretch before Santiago. Or am I mistaken?

Edited: Disregard some of the above. I was ahead of him. ☺️

Last edited:
Erm ... I don’t get some of the recent comments, like the one about map.me and the one about SJPP times 1000. @david1 has walked really lots by now and he’s past Sarria, well into Galicia ... so he’s certainly found his way and he has already joined the many on the last 100+ km stretch before Santiago. Or am I mistaken?
I suspect the map.me poster didn't get past page 1 of this thread. I appreciate their enthusiasm for the app.

Morgade is very nice, I stayed there my last time, but I don't get the comparison to SJPDP. It'll make a nice coffee or second breakfast stop.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suspect the map.me poster didn't get past page 1 of this thread. I appreciate their enthusiasm for the app.
Morgade is very nice, I stayed there my last time, but I don't get the comparison to SJPDP. It'll make a nice coffee or second breakfast stop.
😊. Where is the special albergue with the photos in #507? I think I walked past it and that it was after Sarria, but perhaps I’m wrong or there are two such albergues that look similar? @david1, where ARE you? 🙃

😊. Where is the special albergue with the photos in #507? I think I walked past it and that it was after Sarria, but perhaps I’m wrong or there are two such albergues that look similar? @david1, where ARE you? 🙃
That's not an albergue. It's a donativo rest spot on the northern path between Triacastela and Sarria, before the two paths rejoin. So the Samos walkers won't see it. It was run by some Australians a few years ago.

I'm guessing David is in Sarria now.

In the village of Montan. A Brazilian guy seemed to be running it, he was wonderful and played a key role in making it so special.
I'm currently in Sarria, and on this subject;
Not impressed. Trying my best not to be judgemental, but anyone who thinks that they can do the last 100km or so (which is after all the bare minimum) and claim to be a pilgrim is living in la la land. Let alone learn some of the deep life lessons that the Camino wants to teach, that is simply not going to happen.
I posted a picture of rucksacks being shipped out on the"other social media" yesterday, and a friend commented that when they get home they'll still be carrying the baggage in life that they started out with... not sure where I'm going with this, but you know what I mean my fellow pilgrims.
I guess, for myself, this is another Camino lesson to apply in Life.
Walking the Camino is an almost perfect metaphor for Life IMO.
Anyway, off my soapbox 😂
Plan is to get to sleep very early, then wake up equally early, and get back on the Way that I have grown to love, and be loved by, so much. 😁😁😁
Oo! I just shed a tear.. just being.
Until tomorrow my pilgrimating pals!
Peacenlovenostuffx
IMG_20190513_072634.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan is to get to sleep very early, then wake up equally early, and get back on the Way that I have grown to love, and be loved by, so much. 😁😁😁
Did you know it would be like this? I mean, beautiful?

In the village of Montan. A Brazilian guy seemed to be running it, he was wonderful and played a key role in making it so special.
OK, I’m with you now 😊. There was a minor confusion amongst members of the Epicamino fan club but it’s all clear now: Montán is before Sarria and Morgade is after Sarria. I think this special place is called Tierra de Luz? As I mentioned already, I walked past it not too long ago but I had never heard of it or read about it.

Last edited:
OK, I’m with you now. There was a minor confusion amongst members of the Epicamino fan club but it’s all clear now: Montan is before Sarria and Morgade is after Sarria. I think this special place is called Tierra de Luz? As I mentioned already, I walked past it not too long ago but I had never heard of it or read about it.
I do hope but then why should I hope? - I know- David will be delighted to see your naming of the Epicamino fan club! That is what it is!

I've finally found a café that's open after walking hungryish for over three hours, and find such lovely posts! 😘
Epicamino fan club?!?! 😂😊😂
Purky, that badge is fantastic! I may well have to get a t-shirt 😂😂😂
I don't know where I am... geographically anyway 😂 But here's this morning's photographic delights;
IMG_20190514_082332.jpgIMG_20190514_065122.jpgIMG_20190514_071714.jpgIMG_20190514_071749.jpgIMG_20190514_073342.jpgIMG_20190514_073708.jpgIMG_20190514_080438.jpgIMG_20190514_050258.jpgIMG_20190514_054736.jpg

David, that line @kirkie quoted?
(Hang on a sec, there's something in my eye...)

You'll be here in Santiago in just a few days, and my one regret about that is that I won't be here in the plaza to give you a standing ovation, peregrino!
May you stay happily ahead of the crowd!

(And ahead..after Portomarin there's a fantastic place for second breakfast. Someone else will remembwr the name of thd place. And outside of Portomarin there's a wonderful camping place...Mariña I think it's called. A km or so north of town...in case you want space from the hordes.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
David, that line @kirkie quoted?
(Hang on a sec, there's something in my eye...)

You'll be here in Santiago in just a few days, and my one regret about that is that I won't be here in the plaza to give you a standing ovation, peregrino!
May you stay happily ahead of the crowd!

(And ahead..after Portomarin there's a fantastic place for second breakfast. Someone else will remembwr the name of thd place. And outside of Portomarin there's a wonderful camping place...Mariña I think it's called. A km or so north of town...in case you want space from the hordes.)
Going passed Portomarin to Gonzar today.
Hopefully I'll miss the crowds. 🤔
Shame that I will miss you in Santiago though, that would have been fantastic. 😁
Best get back on my Way then.
Peacenlovenostuffx my fellow pilgrims. 😘

I woke up at 2am (why?)--and I have sat here reading your epicamino posts. Thank-you! My 17yo son and I were walking for 10 days from Belorado to Leon a bit ahead of you-- (arriving at Leon on Good Friday)-- Definitely not a long enough walk. But it was the time I could scrounge up. --. --My thoughts and heart kept going back to the camino, and those I had met while walking. -- Thank-you again for sharing. I wish you a good stay in Santiago. (I stay at Seminario Menor when I am there. Hot showers, beautiful views, and near the market.)

I woke up at 2am (why?)--and I have sat here reading your epicamino posts. Thank-you! My 17yo son and I were walking for 10 days from Belorado to Leon a bit ahead of you-- (arriving at Leon on Good Friday)-- Definitely not a long enough walk. But it was the time I could scrounge up. --. --My thoughts and heart kept going back to the camino, and those I had met while walking. -- Thank-you again for sharing. I wish you a good stay in Santiago. (I stay at Seminario Menor when I am there. Hot showers, beautiful views, and near the market.)
That mad Easter panic over beds! 😂😱😂

Going passed Portomarin to Gonzar today.
Hopefully I'll miss the crowds. 🤔
Shame that I will miss you in Santiago though, that would have been fantastic. 😁
Best get back on my Way then.
Peacenlovenostuffx my fellow pilgrims. 😘
maybe if you hang around enough, going to Finisterre and then to Muxia, and back... Vnwalking and SabineP might have reached Santiago...

maybe if you hang around enough, going to Finisterre and then to Muxia, and back... Vnwalking and SabineP might have reached Santiago...
Where are they? I'm in Portomarin at the moment, too tired and hot for another 7km.
Definitely stretching this out a bit...
And here's today's belly laugh I had. Marvelous!
IMG_20190514_105601.jpgIMG_20190514_104630.jpg

I'm in Santiago now, and @SabineP and I will start walking from Irun on Friday. So I'm headed out on the train Thursday morning.
Sabine has to go home earlier, so you won't be meeting either of us...Sorry to miss you, David.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Morning my fellow pilgrims! Only 87km to go 😖
IMG_20190515_071036.jpg
Strangely pleased to see some faggots on my way this morning, I don't know why, maybe I am losing it 😂
IMG_20190515_072331.jpg
Walked into this café this morning and ten minutes later it was like this, why do pilgrims seem to always come in waves? Surely we should be spread out?
IMG_20190515_081501.jpg
Leaving Gonzar now, I'm glad that I didn't push out to it yesterday; it would not have been pleasant. 😌
IMG_20190515_072553.jpg
Peacenlovenostuffx

They come in waves as they all stay in the same places, follow the same guidebooks like they were holy script.

Most humans are pack animals and need to be close to the herd.

Baaaaa

They come in waves as they all stay in the same places, follow the same guidebooks like they were holy script.

Most humans are pack animals and need to be close to the herd.

Baaaaa
Strange. I pushed through Palas de Rei, and thoroughly enjoyed the lack of pilgrims.
It may well be a top tip; avoid the "stages" 🤔

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What’s a faggot music instrument ?
David have you considered walking on to Rome maybe? It’s to much fun following you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had intended to embark upon my Camino this March, but one thing and another I found time and money to start now. Fro. St. David's cathedral in West Wales, through to Wells...And I'm leaving Salisbury this morning.
I haven't walked all this way mind! ;-) Doing around 6-8 miles a day on my feet, then finding a sneaky stealthy camp spot. Hitch if I'm back on the road before dark, the odd bus to a weekly YHA stay to freshen up, that kind of thing. Good stuff to get in condition for the actual 100% walk from Paris...And at 51years I need it lol.
Set out on 21st December...And I am having an adventure of a lifetime.!
Just thought I'd check in, introduce myself, before mining the site for information and tips.lol.
Heading out to Winchester cathedral this morning, but with a slightly annoying detour to Southampton to pick up a 4 season sleeping bag. But there again, I'm sure it won't be annoying when I'm all tucked up and toasty...
WOW!! An adventure indeed!

Aw.. that's kind 😘 From Newcastle emlyn to St.David's I got picked up by a family (Xmas day!) Took me to their house, dinner, charades, bath and tent in their garden! And before setting off the next day they thanked me for making their Christmas special by giving them the opportunity to help a pilgrim out!
Warms a guy up better than a 5 season sleeping bag! 😂
This is one of the big things that make the pilgrimage so special. The wonderful people you encounter along the way. Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Kath put as Turga said many meanings.

What’s a faggot music instrument ?
David have you considered walking on to Rome maybe? It’s to much fun following you.
Funny enough I said just that to a priest not far from Paris. (The Rome bit, not the faggot bit 😂)
I have the time but not the money. I've considered whether a newspaper would be equally interested in a weekly column, but it's enough to organise my day let alone arranging that 🙄
That being said, I don't intend to hang around in Santiago and I have a few days to fill, so I am going to be turning around and heading... somewhere! 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa Domingo tonight.
Pictures!

Attachments

• PANO_20190515_194938.jpg
    PANO_20190515_194938.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190515_150119.jpg
    IMG_20190515_150119.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • PANO_20190515_150938.jpg
    PANO_20190515_150938.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190515_173518.jpg
    IMG_20190515_173518.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190515_140757.jpg
    IMG_20190515_140757.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190515_135038.jpg
    IMG_20190515_135038.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190515_124420.jpg
    IMG_20190515_124420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Such wonderful pics! Gracias!
Had lunch a couple of times in Villalcázar de Sirga, in the restaurant across from the church...but never managed to find the church open. :(
The river way between Fromista and there is much more pleasant than the road.

You're moving right along, David.
Don't go too fast - it'll be over before you know it.;)
I agree with VNWalking. Looking at your pics and thinking back, I wish I had slowed my pace a bit more. Enjoy the journey.

Once again this merry pilgrim is on his way.
I think that I may be leaving the Meseta now judging by the terrain. A town coming up, which means a bank, which means my usual worries of pressing the wrong button and losing my card.🙄 Much regrets not learning some Spanish before leaving, but then I did leave two weeks after deciding to go...
View attachment 56769View attachment 56771View attachment 56772View attachment 56773
Whoa! And I thought I was bad leaving 1 month after deciding to go. BTW, you are amazing. I just found your thread this morning and I am almost done. I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey. Brought back so many memories. You the "man".

In all honesty the best meal is generally the one I last ate. But a memorable one would be back in France when I once found myself eating bread and water for lunch, but it tasted fantastic!
The albergue "Emaus" in Burgos served a splendid steak...then another...and another! 😁
Today I had cheese and tomato in yesterday's bread... yummy, but looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast! 😂
Manna!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm currently in Sarria, and on this subject;
Not impressed. Trying my best not to be judgemental, but anyone who thinks that they can do the last 100km or so (which is after all the bare minimum) and claim to be a pilgrim is living in la la land. Let alone learn some of the deep life lessons that the Camino wants to teach, that is simply not going to happen.
I posted a picture of rucksacks being shipped out on the"other social media" yesterday, and a friend commented that when they get home they'll still be carrying the baggage in life that they started out with... not sure where I'm going with this, but you know what I mean my fellow pilgrims.
I guess, for myself, this is another Camino lesson to apply in Life.
Walking the Camino is an almost perfect metaphor for Life IMO.
Anyway, off my soapbox 😂
Oo! I just shed a tear.. just being.
Until tomorrow my pilgrimating pals!
Peacenlovenostuffx
View attachment 57212
I feel you completely. I think this was the only part of the journey where I really started to get annoyed. All the buses and folks hopping on and off just to get their passport stamped, and looking so well dressed (white shorts, really?!) and refreshed just really bothered me. UGH!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey David go to town and have a second beer on me if I ever meet you, but you know I am good for it. 🍺🥨

Last edited:
Congratulations and thank you, David. I have so loved following your journey. XXX

All you peeps have genuinely been along with me, really helping me on my Way, especially through the France stage. It's been a first thought; "Oo! Must tell my mates on the forum" 😘😘😘
Congratulations David! I have really enjoyed your travels. Awesome journey. Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Epic indeed!

Take the bus down to Porto and walk back!

Truly an Epic Camino, and your observations and adventures held our attention all the way. Congratulations

David,
What a day and what a journey!
Thank you for sharing all these unforgetable moments with your digital family and friends via this forum.

"...But to have been,
This once, completely, even if only once:
To have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing
."
Rainer Maria Rilke,
9th Duino Elegy

When you go to the pilgrim office to get your Compostela, look for forum member & volunteer there - @t2andreo and say hello to him. I think his name is Terry. He's often herding pilgrims in the line and may be game for a beer after his shift. He knows Santiago well.

Well done, pilgrim. Congratulations!

€83,-
E P I C!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have so enjoyed following you. You are the MAN!!!!! Quite an amazing journey. So happy to share it with you.

You have done it! Be proud!
It was a beautiful time for us beyond our screens, thanks a lot for all your reports 🍻👏👍
An now we will have to leave without this daily portion of Camino...😰
Buen (next) camino, Jacques-D.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Congratulations on your epic Camino.
I have thoroughly enjoyed every single post and have followed you all the way.
Thank you for sharing with us all. It makes me want to walk again even more.
Well done you.
👏😀👏😀👏😀👏😀👏😀👏😀👏😀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Santiago is a town worthy of lingering a few days. After all, you walked a long way to get there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
David – congratulations on your definitely EPICamino!!!
I read your first post 2 days ago and have been binge-reading at every opportunity since. Your journey has been beautiful, amazing, inspiring, and thoroughly enjoyable to those of us still behind our screens. It’s been made more so by your spontaneous words and great pics. I will have to go back and read from the beginning as there is so much contained in the thread, and I was ultimately reading too fast. That was because I suddenly realised that it was becoming almost real time as you were getting closer to SdC! The posts were so inclusive and the memories and the feelings you bought back were sometimes a teary affair for me. All the forum members who were with you from the beginning must have run the same gamut of emotion x 1000!
I remember that same feeling of being a bit lost when we finished the CF. We hung around in Santiago for a few days not knowing what to do with ourselves. Thank goodness for the booked return flight :)
Rest and reflect Senor Peregrino. Buen Camino

€46,-
Congratulations and thank you for all your silly faces! Made my day. Hope to hear from you when walking again, because I have a feeling you will. Love and all the best.

I'm now sitting in a beer garden in the "Green Man"
It couldn't be any more English 😂
Sure wish that I was on the Camino though, and miss all the guys so much that I think that it actually hurts. 😖😖
My tattoo is looking great and I still fully intend to have "Epicamino" underneath.
Picture will be following.
I'll be posting here when I have uploaded my video diary.
And yes I shall be on the forum still, getting envious of the pilgrims, helping out when I can.
Came through customs and the passport control guy shook my hand, said how proud I should feel, wished me "buen Camino!" and waived me on through.made me cry again.😂
Which sums up the biggest thing that this Camino did for me; restored my faith in humanity. It was at absolute rock bottom. And now it shines.
Thank you Camino 😁😁😁

Good luck with the culture shock re-adjusting to being home.
Maybe, it won't be all david making the re-adjustments.
Maybe, the home and people will make some adjustments, where the post camino attitudes and habits of david influence those things and people improving the attitudes and quality of life there. Maybe...... :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And so, here we are; the end of my Camino.
😥😥😥😥
I'm back home with my family. 😍😘😍
Thank you all once again for walking The Way with me, it has been a very special time on this thread, from people buying me Long John's to people making fanclub badges, and all the advice. Love you each one.
Two more posts to come sometime, one of my "Epicamino" tattoo finished, and one of my video diary when I've edited it down.
Until then my beautiful fellow pilgrims... see you around the forum!
BUEN CAMINO!
IMG_20190524_213510.jpgIMG_20190525_080930.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_080930.jpg
    IMG_20190525_080930.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Heartfelt congratlations, David!
It never leaves you, what good you uncover while walking the way. Welcome home, peregrino, and I am happy for your family to receive home someone with a pilgrim's heart.
Buen camino de la vida - the pilgrimage continues!

It has been a pleasure following you on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.