• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

euozone crises affecting the Camino?

screendoor

Hola, recent & repeat Pilgrims -- I'm wondering if the current economic troubles throughout the Eurozone have affected the Camino in any way you could identify. Fewer albuerges/inns open? Fewer pilgrims -- or more? Food/supplies costs higher than in previous years? I'm trying to budget and plan for this summer, and wondered if/how things will be different than previous years. Thanks...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi!

I doubt it will affect the availability of day-to-day facilities such as albergues. The Camino is probably one of the few growth areas at the moment!

You'll notice abandoned/mothballed building projects along the way. Perhaps you'll see demonstrations such as the 'Indignados', although I think that's died down a bit recently. The economic situation and rising unemployment will obviously feed through to other social problems so be aware and sensitive to it.

More striking is the longer-term decline of the rural villages in Castille, where most of the young people have left for the city. In some of these places the Camino is probably the only reason there is a bar/shop or other facilities that both pilgrims and locals can enjoy.

Buen Camino!

Nah. There is not so much a Euro Crisis just recession/unEmployment same as the USA really.

I have been to spain 4 times in the last year (not on the camino). The Euro ain't falling anytime soon... but with a stronger dollar the yanks just find europe more expensive as they let less euros that a year ago. But Spain has gotten a lot cheaper in my estimation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked twice last year and was amazed at the amount of construction and road building going on. There are two new highways being built from Santiago - one to Lugo and the other to Finisterre. When the latter is finished you'll be able to get from Santiago to Fistera in 45 minutes!

micamino73 said:
Nah. There is not so much a Euro Crisis just recession/unEmployment same as the USA really.
I don't agree. How much is the unemployment percentage in the US? In Spain today, it's
running at 24%. There is no comparison.
I most definately noticed a rise in prices for basics along the Camino last year. In Albergues where once (2 or 3 years earlier), I had spent 8 euros in a private albergue, I now spent 10 euros. Not to mention the cost in food. Anne

Curious to say. One would also need to decide just with whom one is comparing which parts of Spain to - Ireland, France, U.K. or different parts of North America all are experiencing vastly differing situations and crises of their own.
Internal tourism - within one's own country has always been important in Spain, hence many people will travel within Spain and experience the tremendous regional variations of cuisine, culture and countryside etc.
Travel within Europe on a mass scale is probably not overly relevant to Camino statistics most especially outside peak season.
Spanish regional government finance is amongst the areas facing the most savage of cuts - this can be most clearly seen in education and health.
Living costs experienced by pilgrims are rising inexorably but again a baseline is difficult to establish due to the variations highlighted in paragraph 1 - national / regional context of pilgrim.
Pilgrim spending patterns may well change - time spent away from the route may diminish but overall those walking or cycling may be less affected by the crises as they trudge through Muxia than those basking in Malaga or Marbella, blisters in Burgos than bathing in Biarritz.
The economies of places along the camino differ profoundly - it is part of the attraction to experience the differences. Pamplona compared to the villages of the meseta, the Bierzo compared to Burgos or rural Galicia compared to Logrono.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Prices must rise if places are to remain open, the question will be 'by how much?'. We have looked at prices from last year, average costs per day and added a percentage for emergencies, plus a further percentage for prices rising. It is difficult to be precise as it is also influenced by exchange rates but you could add maybe 20% to your expected budget and make sure it is available if needed.

annakappa said:
micamino73 said:
I don't agree. How much is the unemployment percentage in the US? In Spain today, it's
running at 24%. There is no comparison.
I most definately noticed a rise in prices for basics along the Camino last year. In Albergues where once (2 or 3 years earlier), I had spent 8 euros in a private albergue, I now spent 10 euros. Not to mention the cost in food. Anne

Spain like Ireland where I am from had a very big property crash, you will see a lot of unfinished property, buildings. This problem was not caused by euro, it started back in 2008 with banking crisis. Spain is a lot cheaper than Ireland, prices are going up in spain as spanish gov tries
To balance its budget and has imposed more taxes. But bad banking in my view was the cause of much of the problem, borrowed money fueling the economy

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kwikxg

Additional info from Annakappa's post: 50% of the youngsters is unemployed.

Food in Spain is still cheap comparing to other countries like France, Belgium, Holland, Germany,...

Hotels/hostals are more expensive in La Rioja comparing to Galicia. La Rioja is a rich autonomious region. For the moment our lovely N120 is going to 2 x 2 tracks between Santo Domingo and Logroño. The N120 was revised also in the ninetees. Riding on the N120, you can see still some old tracks where wineyards are taking over the asphalt. Also the ring around Santo Domingo is reviewed again. Also the constructions of the N120 made a mess of the camino between SDdlC and Grañon.

Abandonned buildings: "Cirueña-city". Erected in +/- 2004 (I need to check) and now "for sale" billboards on many houses.

Demonstrations: I noticed a small one end september 2012 when the minister of energy visited the Museum of Energy in Ponferrada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not sure of this, but here is something that I think pilgrims should be aware of.

The last few years, pilgrims from outside of europe/spain has gotten free medical care if they needed it (without any paperwork) at medical institutions along the camino. Not always, but many times they got special treatment since they were pilgrims.

I think this might go away... there has been large budget cuts in the health sector in Spain. You are of course fine if you have the european health card or any insurance... but the "I did not have to pay anything because I was a pilgrim"- days might be over.

Conclusion: make sure you have a good travel insurance!

Buen Camino!
Ivar

screendoor said:
I'm trying to budget and plan for this summer, and wondered if/how things will be different than previous years.
Depending upon which currency area you live in, you may want to compare the present exchange rate against the one you were used to. In the Eurozone prices have changed in accordance with local inflation factors. Energy costs are constantly increasing everywhere (fuel, gasoline, gas, electricity). Production costs follow suit. Governments are cutting costs where they can.
Ivar is right in assuming that "free" healthcare to pilgrims may soon come to an end.
So it is prudent for a pilgrim to budget with comparatively higher overall costs.
Will pilgrim numbers decrease? Unlikely. There are enough potential walkers who dream of reaching Santiago (and can afford it) to keep transport companies, albergues, restaurants, shops, etc. busy.
Perhaps the planners in Santiago (tourist cos., pilgrims office ?) can enlighten us on their expected numbers for the coming season?

Tia Valeria said:
Prices must rise if places are to remain open, the question will be 'by how much?'
Hi!

I'm not sure. It depends on inflation rates, tax rates, exchange rates, and the type of costs we're talking about (e.g. food in a supermarket, albergues etc, which may inflate or be taxed differently). It's true that some price inflation is almost inevitable (even desirable), but not necessarily the result of the current crisis.

Personally I'd go for more customers rather than increasing prices, but I've never been much of a businessman!

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Having run some retail businesses the question is always "do I want to make 1c per customer or 10c from 1 in 10 customers" to sustain my business model. The Eurozone's model now requires that non-Eurozone originating customers import value to the zone because the zone itself has negative value. The Camino looks like a perfect model to address that requirement as willing customers bring their donativo from all parts of the globe.

The cost impact on pilgrims can be predicted to be minor, high volume low value transactions not affected by a fall in overall global growth. The other possible impact, implied in some of the other responses here, that the social impacts of the Eurozone's economic problems may lead to an increase in petty crime is very real. With 50% youth unemployment and high unemployment generally there will be there will be those who will see pilgrims as rich sources of potential reward. This has been the reality of the life of the pilgrim throughout history.

Follow all the good advice on this forum on personal security and sensible precautions to be taken in urban areas. And carry a few euros in an easy access pocket. Your loss might be someone else's first meal for a while.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.