• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Facilities from Ourense to Ponta Ulla?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Can anyone who's walked this section tell me what I might expect in terms of places to eat and/or toilet facilities? Are there bars on the route? Any advice?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked this section in February. There are some bars along the route - certainly enough for meals and the odd drink or two. In a few sections they are quite a long way apart though (perhaps a couple of hours).

Geez Annie, I have done this section 3 times and I never went hungry or thirsty although I don't have specifics (I am walking the Camino Portuguese de la Costa now). There is a big supermarket in Puente Ulla which is good for pilgrims staying in the Xunta Albergue in Outeiro. The hospitalera cooks for you if you like but I found her prices unreasonably high. We instead shopped and cooked together.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a big supermarket in Puente Ulla which is good for pilgrims staying in the Xunta Albergue in Outeiro. The hospitalera cooks for you if you like but I found her prices unreasonably high. We instead shopped and cooked together.

In February I stayed at the pension O Cruceiro in Ponte Ulla - large modern building just uphill from the supermarket and next to a petrol station. Dorm beds advertised at 10 euro but I was given a single room with bathroom to myself at the same price. Excellent menu del dia at a very modest price too. Friendly and helpful. A good alternative to the Outeiro municipal.

Can anyone who's walked this section tell me what I might expect in terms of places to eat and/or toilet facilities? Are there bars on the route? Any advice?
As others have said, facilities are pretty widespread. I think the longest section with no bar or population is on the 10km from Cea to Oseira monastery, with just a couple of bars with relatively limited food once you arrive at the monastery. I love the monastery, and attending vespers with a handful of mostly elderly monks keeping the immense place alive.

If you want good food, I recommend the pulpería in Cea, where Orlando, the xunta hospitalero is usually to be found having lunch, and I also liked the María José, on the main road in Bendoiro near Lalín's albergue - good filling simple food and friendly company: the only camino restaurant I've eaten in 5 times.

One minor problem is that breakfast is often difficult to get early on - there is none for a couple of hours after Oseira, and for quite a bit after the albergue in O Outeiro (although, as @Bradypus says, the truck stop in Ponte Ulla is in some ways preferable).

Otherwise it's generally a much more populated area than most of the rest of the Sanabrés/Vía de la Plata.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are staying at the monastery, grab a loaf of famous wonderful bread in Cea for breakfast.

As for the Outeira municipal - we loved it! Spacious, massive windows, hot showers.

I don't remember this section as being as isolated as most of the earlier VdlP. I had several bar stops along the way, and didn't have any trouble keeping the water bottles full. I ate at a nice restaurant in Cea (Sol y Luna), and I remember the bar in Castro Dazon serves food. For much of the way along these few stages, the Camino is near the N-525 highway, which has many services along it, so there always seemed to be something nearby, even if it wasn't directly on the Camino.

As I remember from 2015 (I took Tamallancos route out of Ourense):
OURENSE - CEA:
- there was a bar approx.6km from muni albergue in Cudeiro when you cross OU-150,
- supposed to be 2 bars in Tamallancos (KM 15) but haven't seen any, although I've seen signs for one, when crossing the N-525 you should turn right,
- I stopped at bar/estanco in Bouzas (KM 17),
- bar/restaurante A Carballiza in Viduedo (KM 23), last house in the village, on right side of N-525, supposedly tienda there too,
- all infrastructure in Cea.

CEA - CASTRO DOZON:
- two bars in Oseira (KM 11),
- bar at Gouxa (KM 18) was closed, I couldn't ask anyone if permanently because the village was deserted in the midday heat,
- gas station on entering Castro Dozon (KM 24),
- two bars/restaurants in Castro Dozon, first one on the left of main road the second one on the right, at the back of second one is also small market.

CASTRO DOZON - SILLEDA:
- in Ponte Neufe (KM 7) should be market but didn't see it, wasn't searching for it though,
- in A Estacion de tren de Lalin (KM 14) are 2 bars/restaurants and tienda,
- Taberna in A Eirexe (KM 19),
- bar/restaurante on N-525 couple hundred meters after albergue A Laxe (KM 22,5),
- I think there's another taberna soon after Ponte Taboada (KM 27),
- all infrastructure in Silleda.

SILLEDA - PONTE ULLA:
- all infrastructure in Bandeira (KM 7,5),
- albergue/bar Casa Leiras in Dornelas (KM 13),
- there is another bar on CP-2017 near Lagos approx.on KM 19,5, but both times I walked by it was closed,
- Puente Ulla has all infrastructure (KM 23).

Hope that helps, Annie :)

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Just out of Ourense, in Tamallancos there is a lovely restaurant/bar/Casa. It is only new and we wished we had stopped here for the night, then walked on to the monastery. It is called Via Stellae. The website is:
www.viastellae.com
They speak English.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back