• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family age 54, 50, 24 and 13...can we do just 2-3 stages

SabBerry

Time of past OR future Camino
None Yet
Dear All,

We're complete newbies to long-distance walking. Although we travel and enjoy strolls around picturesque beaches and city explorations, embarking on the Camino walk requires a different level of preparation, which we fully recognize. Before diving into the specifics of preparation, I have a few questions. We will be arriving in Santiago de Compostela on July 5th and are exploring how we can embark on a 3 to 5-day walk. We are open to starting from any point but are uncertain about which routes would be best in July, especially those offering comfortable accommodation for our family and delicious food in the evenings.
I've been considering the Camino Portuguese Family package offered by CaminoWays.com, covering a 5-day route from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis, then to Padron, Teo, and finally Santiago de Compostela, totaling 64 km. Could you recommend a favorite starting point? We might only be able to join for 3 days. Additionally, do you think it would be wise to book dinners in advance? I'm concerned about the availability of dining options if we don't.

Thank you.
Sabina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe an option would be to walk Santiago to Finisterre (Camino Finisterre), it can easily be done in 5 days or less. It will avoid you needing to waste time travelling anywhere to get to another starting point, unless of course you specifically want to walk to Santiago. Travel back to Santiago is very simple. At the start of July you should not have too many issues with finding places to eat or stay.

I’d strongly advise against pre- booking dinners. There are many option’s for dining, and it’s better to be flexible with when and where like to eat.

PS the first time I walked, 15 years ago was with a company and dinners were pre- booked. How frustrating to walk past delightful looking places when we were starving to wait until our booked time at somewhere that was quite dismal.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear All,

We're complete newbies to long-distance walking. Although we travel and enjoy strolls around picturesque beaches and city explorations, embarking on the Camino walk requires a different level of preparation, which we fully recognize. Before diving into the specifics of preparation, I have a few questions. We will be arriving in Santiago de Compostela on July 5th and are exploring how we can embark on a 3 to 5-day walk. We are open to starting from any point but are uncertain about which routes would be best in July, especially those offering comfortable accommodation for our family and delicious food in the evenings.
I've been considering the Camino Portuguese Family package offered by CaminoWays.com, covering a 5-day route from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis, then to Padron, Teo, and finally Santiago de Compostela, totaling 64 km. Could you recommend a favorite starting point? We might only be able to join for 3 days. Additionally, do you think it would be wise to book dinners in advance? I'm concerned about the availability of dining options if we don't.

Thank you.
Sabina
For a gang of new pilgrims I suggest walking from Ferrol..or Coruna (its shorter) Ferrol is just over 100k to Santiago..can be done in 5 days, lovely countryside, plenty of places to stay and eat..however, you can start anywhere...the cathedral will award a Compostella to pilgrims who walk the last 100k into Santiago.... for peace of mind book in advance....unless you plan to live under the stars...by the way, the Rain in Spain rains mainly in Galicia.....the Portugeuse route from Pontevedra via Padron will get you to Santiago within your time schedule..an interesting walk...buen camino!!

Hi I posted this on another thread this morning (ref a quick Camino)
Five days on the Ingles from Ferrol about 22km per day and finish in Santiago; you also qualify for a Compostela!
Link to (Gronze in Spanish but Google translates to Engish)

Oh my, what a great response already, everyone! Thank you.

We have a flight to and from Santiago, so it's only a matter of deciding which route to take.

It definitely cannot be longer than 60km overall, spread over 3-5 days. (I'm mostly worried about myself 😄 as the rest are much fitter than me).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Would you book accommodation by yourselves or for the newbies with teen the company which runs Camino Family Walks would be easier? As far I know they would take your luggage and book your standard accommodation...

It definitely cannot be longer than 60km overall, spread over 3-5 days. (I'm mostly worried about myself 😄 as the rest are much fitter than me)
How about the Camino Inglés from A Coruña? At about 72 km it's a bit longer than you want, but anyone who can't walk the daily distance can take a taxi part way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Go with the holiday company’s recommendation. You’re after a fully catered enjoyable family walk (which is a good thing) not a ‘camino’ per se. The last 60km of the Frances is most likely to meet your needs.
I kind of agree with @henrythedog. If you are looking for comfort and food is important then a package may be best for you and your family. Be aware that the Spanish eat meals late although on the Camino you are more likely to find plenty of options at other times as well.

You could consider taking a bus to Muxia or Finesterre and walking back. I might be tempted just to stay there though rather than walking back.

Another option if you only want to walk a few days is taking the bus from Santiago to Arzua or Melide and walking back to Santiago. This could give you a feel for pilgrimage and there are many options for types of lodging. Plenty of hotels if that is your preference. The Camino Frances is crowded, but filled with excited pilgrims in July on holiday. Their enthusiasm can be infectious. Also lots of beautiful flowers at that time of year.

Dear All,

Thank you.
Sabina
The Ingles is good starting from Ferról and as you have already checked on from Porto is also a great one. The Variante Espiritual from Baiona is also a favorite. Also check out Ultreya Tours. Nellie Mueller

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back